Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

Can someone teach me how to Akizuki in t10 CV games?

32 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,341 battles

New to the ship and I'm really struggling. I feel terrible when I'm the first to die on my team and I don't really know the best way to stay alive while doing anything useful or worth exp/credits?

Specific questions I have:

What is my role in these situations?

When should I use smoke?

What ships have the best AA to protect me?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

• Cool 2

[SKRUB]
Players
550 posts
21,119 battles
19 minutes ago, Thracen said:

a) What is my role in these situations?

b) When should I use smoke?

c) What ships have the best AA to protect me?

a) Your duty is to create the best condition, to make your team win.

With your concealment you can spot/cap and be a deterrent force against an ennemy push, also in a CV game don't be a lone wolf.

b) Your smoke is a survival tool for you and other, like all consumable you should use it, when you think it's the best momment to do it.

c) None, other ship can't protect you against an ennemy CV, you will be strike, it will alway be frustating, but you need to stay focus, continue to play and accept in the worst case to had lost half of your HP, but you are still alive, if CV can strike you once against, use your last ressort praise.

Beta Tester
1,892 posts
11,654 battles
13 minutes ago, Thracen said:

New to the ship and I'm really struggling. I feel terrible when I'm the first to die on my team and I don't really know the best way to stay alive while doing anything useful or worth exp/credits?

When should I use smoke?

You play Akizuki the same way you play all DDs ..... or even all classes of ships in T10 CV games...... PASSIVE and BORING!! Thats the outcome of CV being in this game, there is no counter to it. So if you dont wanna die first or within the first 3 minutes you play very passive and defensive. You dont push any caps, you stay just infront of your fleet, trying to spot or screen torps, dont try and flank, dont try and cap, just stay close to all other ships and use their combined AA bubble.

Smoke you use mostly for the rocketplanes, those are the biggest threat. For torpplanes or bombers you can activate your half decent AA (for DDs that is).

But this is unfortunatly the way WG wants us to play with CVs. No one can push, no one can flank, no one can cap. If you try and leave the Lemmingtrain you will get focused, perma spotted and perma striked by CV and you will die.

Pushing any caps within first 5-8 minutes will get you focused and spotted and killed by radarcruisers guarding the caps, CVs, other DDs, DDs with hydro, DDs with radar, etc etc etc. After 8 minutes the radarcruisers usually gets tired of just sitting there and they move of. 

And this said, there will soon be a new line of Russian radarcruisers released that can alla stealthradar you.......

New Swedish DDs actually looked like they could be a threat to CVs, but of course then WG nerfed their AA to hell.......

• Cool 2

Players
2,916 posts
16,585 battles

It's monster that exists to bully any DD, most cruisers and most BBs with a rainbow of fire.

You have a Friesland. Think of Akizuki as a slower, clumsier but stealthier Friesland that lacks the safety of hydro.

Currently regrinding the line for at least the 5th time, and it's still a blast. Would be happy to div up if I see you in game.

Not sure what you have for captain? 

14 points is mandatory for IFHE and CE; better yet is 17 or 19 points for quality of life improvements called BFT and AR.

Start out passive and stay 2-3 km max from a friendly cruiser untill you see CV use other squads than RFs.

After that you exist to ignore caps and kill the cruisers and BBs covering them instead.  Either Spam HE over islands or smoke up outside radar range to start the BBQ.

Greatest vulnerability is eating torps and overextending, both due to sluggish maneuverability and low speed which often means eating massive HE/SAP volleys. Be mindful of positioning and radars at all times, even more than normal and especially in CV games. If fighting DDs, use speedboost and engine mod to mitigate this issue and focus on dodging torps and incoming volleys.

When should I use smoke?

Offensively or as disengage after you already engaged and hopefully killed a DD.

Nothing has that.

Its not about shooting planes down, its about giving the CV a more obvious target to go after and waste his planes.

• Cool 1

Players
2,110 posts
21,525 battles

The Akizuki is a bit like a cruiser, you can't play her like a DD at the start of the game. You don't have the speed or maneuveribility. In a battle with many DDs you support a DD. If you have to play the DD role yourself in a battle with few DDs you do it extremely carefully, do not go too deep. Be vigilant about possible torp angles, this hull doesn't have an easy time dodging them.

My Akizuki captain has AFT so I can annoy BBs from 15 km. When they turn away your (radar) cruisers can push closer and you have an easier time pushing the objective. (fits my play style, doesn't have to fit yours)

Use smoke when you are safe from radar and in position to shoot stuff, your guns are your main weapon. Especially in CV games you should use your smoke sooner rather than later, you are very easy to hit. In general, in CV battles go at half-speed with the others at the start of the battle until you see what the enemy CV does. You are slow, don't put yourself into a bad position (radar, close to lots of enemies, in path of planes).

The only meaningful AA ships are CVs and some BBs. That doesn't help you, I know. Welcome to CV rework.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,341 battles

Thanks for the tips, I think I was treating her more like a traditional dd and less like a cruiser. I do find her gun range a little bit of a challenge, finding that balance of being close enough to do damage and far enough to be safe is what I need to work on I guess. It seems like in CV games, full on escape and evade it the order of the day. 

Hopefully this will make me less useless. 

(Oh also realised I'm player her stock so there is room for improvement there too at least)

Players
2,916 posts
16,585 battles
3 minutes ago, Thracen said:

(Oh also realised I'm player her stock so there is room for improvement there too at least)

Get the FCS (range) upgrade first.

She's feels very myopic without it. Some like to get AFT too, but i prefer more dakka.

Afterward get the hull for better maneuverability and more hp. Torps upgrade is optional but recommended imo.

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,625 posts
12,668 battles
21 minutes ago, Thracen said:

When should I use smoke?

Don't be "easy" target for the CV - Do not go alone on one side. Turn the AA off to be hard to spot. Be close to 2-3 other ship of your team for AA support. Watch where are enemy planes. Don't be spoted.

Sometimes this mean that you will really passive at the start of the battle. BUT it is better to be passive then dead.

After this first phase there are two option.

1) CV will resign to sunk you and go for other easier target. Then you go contest cap, hunt enemy DD or HE spam some BB etc.

2)CV wants to sunk you. Then you may trye to live how much long it is possible. It means you will not have so much great damage or spot score but you will occupy enemy CV and your team will have much better chance to win.

[QARTV]
Players
455 posts
9,071 battles

Best advice i can give to you is alt+f4. 

If CV has ANY brains he WILL kill you and you can do NOTHING about it, because WG are utter ^%$$#$&

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[RODS]
Players
1,290 posts
7,258 battles

Modules : Main arm mod 1, Engine room protection, Aiming sys mod 1, Stteering gear mod1, Concealment system mod1

Captain skills: Prioritty tatget, Adrenalin rush, Last stand, Survivavbility expert, Advanced firing training and Concealment expert.

For ur last 3 points Demo expert or Superintendant

If u wanna pen 32 mm u need to go for IHFE so dump the superintendant and last stand (you already got engine room module)

You could also sacrifice IHFE and go for RPf (Locate push in find and kill DD:s)

Otherwise play it like a clumsy DD coz that is what it is.

It is a fun ship especially if no CV:s botherd to join

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
301 posts
7,788 battles

I play CV only occasionally for naval battles. DD play is mostly British and American boats. 

The key is to not get noticed - don't charge straight into cap, don't lurk in obvious DD places, and keep the AA off. Scoot about until the CV finds somebody else to orbital strike. 

Once the battle becomes fully engaged, then you're more likely to get left alone to do DD stuff as the CV will be focusing all those juicy stationary BBs. 

Much past that there's not a lot more to it. AA is so borked now that even hanging around near AA Cruisers is a waste of time - was in Benham game the other night, and enemy Hakuryu attacked a Des Moines and Wooster parked next to each other. He got two drops in with dive bombers FFS...

Edit - a really good CV player won't waste runs attacking you, he'll just keep you spotted for nearby units. 

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,612 battles

As @Ze_Reckless correctly pointed out the Akizuki can`t afford to play as other DD`s would, especially in a CV match.

If you just got this ship make sure to get the hull upgrade first, as it gives you a nice chunk of health.

Assuming it`s a T10 match you should have some strong AA deterrents around you, and this is probably your best bet to either survive, or at least outlast the enemy destroyers. Play supportive - smoke up your firendly CA`s (preferably radar CA), and spot if necesarry.
If it`s T10 match, then even though it`s painful to say it: you have to rely on your team for support, and therefore your objective is to keep it alive as long as possible.

Players
103 posts
11,357 battles

You DO NOT RUSH BLIDLY FORWARD AT THE START OF THE GAME.

Your goal is to torp ALL GAME LONG.

Dont be the typical dd idiot dying the first 5 minutes.

Your main goal is to survive the first 10 minutes.

Your goal is to survive 20 minutes.

Players
2,916 posts
16,585 battles
19 hours ago, Fonfalks said:

Best advice i can give to you is alt+f4. 

If CV has ANY brains he WILL kill you and you can do NOTHING about it, because WG are utter ^%$$#$&

Smoke? friendly CV fighter?

Played akizuki in 4v4 clanbrawl and often had the highest damage om the team when we won 13 and lost only 1. It probably helped that we all played hyperaggressive and the CV was tier8.

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,341 battles

Ok the problem I'm now having is I have no spotting when I smoke and my team doesn't shoot things I spot. 

So I'm stuck just running around uselessly dumping torps. 

What do I do with no other dds or a cv to spot? I try waiting for full engagements to start so I can spot BBs from their shooting but even then all the exchanges are over islands or out of my range. 

Honestly I'm really struggling to get how this is meant to work.

[RTFM]
Players
32 posts

Just like any other T8 dd in T10 match Hide/smoke and then smoke some more if that fails its alt-f4 and go do something else try again later 😂😂

Beta Tester
5,214 posts
24,008 battles

As a tier 8 DD in a tier 10 game, you have the smallest ship,  the lowest HP, no repair, and worst AA from all the ships.

You are the easiest kill for a tier 10 CV. Your only escape is the smart use of smoke.

Beta Tester
1,489 posts
17,356 battles
Vor 18 Stunden, Ronchabale sagte:

If u wanna pen 32 mm u need to go for IHFE so dump the superintendant and last stand (you already got engine room module)

Wow, to ditch Last Stand in a DD is some piece of advice.

Beta Tester
1,489 posts
17,356 battles
Vor 13 Stunden, RigorMortis76 sagte:

Your goal is to torp ALL GAME LONG.

...because Akizuki is a torp boat. Got it, Chief.

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,290 posts
7,258 battles
2 hours ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

Wow, to ditch Last Stand in a DD is some piece of advice.

Yep.. brain slip there

My build:

shot-20_02.22_20_50.12-0447.thumb.jpg.0b0ae641a0519fd1f831eb32f47481a6.jpg

Players
10,022 posts
11,816 battles
7 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Yep.. brain slip there, i did mean survalbility expert

My build:

shot-20_02.22_20_50.12-0447.thumb.jpg.0b0ae641a0519fd1f831eb32f47481a6.jpg

Swap Demo for BFT. And personally I'd use PT instead PM

[RODS]
Players
1,290 posts
7,258 battles
31 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Swap Demo for BFT. And personally I'd use PT instead PM

PT.. if ur spotted then 90% chance they are aiming at u, all u need to know so I go PM

45% "healthier" steering, engine etc.

1234.jpg.11a6970b2ea25855962a2954bcb25727.jpg

BFT.. base is 3 sec add AR to that, fires are not to be underestimated so DE 

IHFE is very useful against DD:s and CL:s, they just go away/melt

You can build it in many ways tho (AFT gives 15km but hitting much at that range.. they need to be more or less stationary)

I have been fiddling around with it a lot of builds on it

Players
10,022 posts
11,816 battles
1 minute ago, Ronchabale said:

PT.. if ur spotted then 90% chance they are aiming at u, all u need to know so I go PM

45% "healthier" steering, engine etc.

1234.jpg.11a6970b2ea25855962a2954bcb25727.jpg

BFT.. base is 3 sec add AR to that, fires are not to be underestimated so DE 

IHFE is very useful against DD:s and CL:s, they just go away/melt

You can build it in many ways tho (AFT gives 15km but hitting much at that range.. they need to be more or less stationary)

I have been fiddling around with it a lot of builds on it

PT gives you info someone else might join the party. Also its a tell tale about incoming torps.

PM reduces chance. Which means engine/rudder/whatever will break anyway when you need them the most.

IFHE is a no brainer for Akizuki class.

BFT gives you flat reload increase, Demo on other hand have diminishing returns the higher tier ship you're firing at, T10 having 50% fire chance reduction means your Demo effectively gives you 1% increase. Also once you set fires/DCP is active, you can't set any more fires, making Demo useless

Players
2,110 posts
21,525 battles
8 hours ago, Thracen said:

Ok the problem I'm now having is I have no spotting when I smoke and my team doesn't shoot things I spot.

You should know if the targets stay detected before you smoke, don't waste it. If your team is far away you can't commit too much anyway. In these situations I like the 15 km range so I can HE some BBs without smoke. Without AFT you can't dodge the incoming shells so it's not as easy to shoot in the open.

It's not easy to get it to work all alone, try to have some team mates around you, especially when you are bottom tier.

Maybe you can post a replay of a game where you didn't know what to do, we might be able to give you some advice.

Sign in to follow this