You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bear__Necessities

Will removing slingshot actually do anything?

37 comments in this topic

Players
3,377 posts
14,104 battles

As the title suggests, will it do anything that affects CV play meaningfully? What is your thoughts fellow CV scum?

I personally see it as nothing but a placebo to the masses. I don't slingshot and well... it does not stop me being a brutal bully in the game. And while I can't speak for others, I certainly can't see it making any impact on the unicum CV players who frequent the forum and game at large. So, if it only hurts the bad players and CV numbers drop.... when will we see the next CV buff?? Coz we can't have a failed rework now can we :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Players
2,092 posts
13,426 battles
10 minutes ago, Bear__Necessities said:

As the title suggests, will it do anything that affects CV play meaningfully? What is your thoughts fellow CV scum?

I personally see it as nothing but a placebo to the masses. I don't slingshot and well... it does not stop me being a brutal bully in the game. And while I can't speak for others, I certainly can't see it making any impact on the unicum CV players who frequent the forum and game at large. So, if it only hurts the bad players and CV numbers drop.... when will we see the next CV buff?? Coz we can't have a failed rework now can we :Smile_trollface:

I am above average-good and to be honest I do not slingshot too.  Cannot be arsed to even learn, tried a few times and decided that it's not for me. Still can do OK. I am more worried about being longer within Aa aura during turn for follow up attack, but possibly it will change nothing as turn time may be longer anyway. Will be harder to link attacks, but I did it rarely anyway, I'm too much of a potato for it. And I believe that very good players will not care as they can do whatever they want and they will win maybe even more as small hurdle for them will be bigger obstacle for a majority. Most of players will not notice probably. Most bad Cv captains never heard about slingshot or even if they did , they think it's something only unicums can do.

[BOYS]
Players
130 posts
9,960 battles
1 hour ago, MacArthur92 said:

Well this will make Indomitable really hard to play. 

The Indomitable was, quite understandably, the only CV that did not receive this nerf on PTS.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,850 posts
5,332 battles
3 hours ago, Bear__Necessities said:

Not exactly a CV player but I think the safest answer is "only time will tell" to be perfectly honest.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,924 posts
19,751 battles

The short answer is no.

The long answer is ahahahaha, no.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 10

Beta Tester
209 posts
13,211 battles
3 hours ago, Bear__Necessities said:

I personally see it as nothing but a placebo to the masses. 

Removing pre Drop would do more than removing something you only use occasionally. Only the upper echelon of the Playerbase is even able to use it properly and you will not notice a difference in their performance. 

• Cool 1

[CLTS]
Players
104 posts
5,548 battles

I personally slingshot and it works wonders, to be able to extract 3 planes and send them home before the inevitable melt of the rest is by itself a + and on top of that as my bombers move up and down they evade puffs of flak, and can initiate the actual drop right on target, so more puffs and annoyance to be evaded... Then you land the hit and the rest depends on whether you walked into a trap of a blob or if you are sheering down a singular ship. 

I would hate to lose it, since I feel it works better to send home that wing instead of sacrificing it to flak (cont or random puff) and thus prevent deplaning my CV in a long game. Its not rocket science, easy to learn actually, and the reward is decent enough to do it.

then again, I might be wrong, I am just a casual after all.

[JRM]
Players
6,579 posts
24,823 battles

Well it will increase losses in some situations and will disable you from being able to strike ANY target so for instance removing a high priority target in a blob might become less viable or even impossible, on the other hand situations like that happen relatively rarely so most of the time it wont make any difference really, in short CV might lose little bit of the carry potential especially in Ranked but thats pretty much it IMHO

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles

Although I use it all the time, the slingshot is not mandatory, and I don't mind if it's no longer there.
The question is, how long do I have to linger in the AA before I can actually make the second strike?
How much further away the targets need to be to make the second strike follow naturally?

This only affects bombs, not rockets or torps, yes?

Beta Tester
158 posts
8,409 battles

I started to only use it with Indomitable which wont be affected.

Makes me wonder if they do admit that the Indomitable needs some game mechanic gimmick to be on the same level as the other CVs?

• Cool 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,931 posts
10,592 battles

If you ask me,

In randoms, Slingshot is not THAT necessary, I do it once in every  5 battles may be..

but in ranked it is absolutely necessary especially for Haku, and I believe this change mainly been made for haku in mind :D

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,091 battles

only ever use it now and then and always against +2 tier higher ship that usually will shred the planes when your going in as normal

i don't think it will effect cv gameplay for most cv players and the real reason wg are doing it is the placebo effect to the non cv players the same as the useless reporting system in game that wg use

[CAIN]
Players
4,488 posts
18,961 battles

I use slingshotting only on rare occasions when playing my fap barges. So no, it won’t impact me - or any other cv player - at all in randoms. No idea about competitive play, but I don’t think it will have a huge impact, seeing how CVs dumpster everything anyway.

[PIKES]
Players
401 posts
8 hours ago, DariusJacek said:

Most bad Cv captains never heard about slingshot or even if they did , they think it's something only unicums can do.

:Smile_sad: Somebody knows what I don't

[KAKE]
Players
2,577 posts
6,213 battles

I think it'll make a situational difference, but for the most part: No.

Modder
4,873 posts
22,141 battles

I have used slingshot every time when attacking very strong AA ships. Without, some was just invincible to VIII tier CVs.

Attacking even IX JB without slinghshot =  1 drop and all planes lost. Not mentioning Smolensk.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,931 posts
10,592 battles
5 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Attacking even IX JB without slinghshot =  1 drop and all planes lost. Not mentioning Smolensk.

how can you manage to lose all your planes on a JB with 1 drop.. ??

Because not even in my lexy, I don't

Players
7,106 posts
245 battles

Im guessing you will have to use islands more or slingshot ‘faster’ to the enemy ships allowing you too save some planes at least.

Modder
4,873 posts
22,141 battles
7 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Mayby becouse there are often other nearby. With slingshot I don't care so much. BTW. with slingshot it's possible to do even second drop on Smolensk as ex. Implacable. Without often zero.

[BBMM]
Players
6,014 posts
7,691 battles
9 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

I killed one while fail-divving in Ark Royal... :Smile_trollface:

Granted, that almost got me deplaned. But I got him. 

Players
2,092 posts
13,426 battles
1 hour ago, neorvo said:

:Smile_sad: Somebody knows what I don't

Are you "most of bad CV players"??? :Smile_facepalm:

I know because I see in games that most don't.

Singular exemptions do not count.

I am glad that you do :cap_like: but not sure even if you are bad CV player because you've hidden your stats so you may be better then you think.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,348 posts
36,665 battles
1 hour ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Mayby becouse there are often other nearby. With slingshot I don't care so much. BTW. with slingshot it's possible to do even second drop on Smolensk as ex. Implacable. Without often zero.

If the JB is alone you can do 2 attacks with the squad of T8. If there's another ship with it (even with mediocre AA) it's a problem with doing the second one. Especially with GZ. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles

How can everybody be so sure this "won't affect them" ?

This is not only about slingshot, but also prolonging the period without strikes, right?
Will we be artificially forced to linger in the AA just to do 2nd strike?

• Cool 1

[PIKES]
Players
401 posts
56 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

Are you "most of bad CV players"??? :Smile_facepalm:

I know because I see in games that most don't.

Singular exemptions do not count.

I am glad that you do :cap_like: but not sure even if you are bad CV player because you've hidden your stats so you may be better then you think.

I don't play too much CVs, surely I am a bad player. I mainly DD in coops. My win rate is 40% in random, at this moment :Smile_sad: