Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Anax7

Carrier Feature Request

16 comments in this topic

Players
29 posts
4,766 battles

Hello fellow readers,

Please allow me to make a suggestion in respect to the carrier gamplay.

On its current state, the game doesn’t let the player take full control of the carrier, a feature that I believe is highly essential.

Before the carrier rework, players could manually control the carrier along with its number of squadrons individually. Its understandable that this was quite an overheard for the vast majority of players (including myself) and therefore the new system was well accepted.

Though my opinion is that we jumped from one extreme to another. From controlling multiple units simultaneously to not even having the ability to control the carrier manually. In the need to simplify the gameplay one very important feature of the game was removed.

The truth is that dodging torpedoes by placing waypoints on the map is ineffective and gives the feeling that the game doesn't take itself too seriously. The ability to make precise navigation around obstacles is also not there. The game makes the player feel “disconnected” from the ship and doesn't give the chance to properly control it, or even admire it, during battle. Personally, this prevents me from buying premium camos for carriers as I never actually get the chance to enjoy them.

Let me please make a very simple recommendation. Add one extra button in the squad selection like this:

[Carrier] [Rockets] [Torps] [Bombs]  (Buttons: 1, 2, 3, 4)

When the control is on the carrier, the airborne squadron flies on a straight line just like it does when opening the map to issue waypoints.

With one extra button the player gets the following:

-          Full control of their carrier even when squad is airborne.

-          Ability to properly dodge hazards without having to return the squad.

-          Precise navigation when needed.

-          Chance to admire the ship in combat.

Pros:

Very simple to implement.

Lots of added features.

No added overhead. (Players may never select their carrier and just fly their squadrons as they do currently)

Cons:

One extra button on the interface.

Thanks for reading. I really wish this reaches the right people.

• Cool 5

[DREAD]
Players
9,695 posts
6,862 battles

Well - generally agree about hull control 

We gave this feedback already during closed testing but WG didn’t want to change it

However: your proposal is essentially already possible. Press “F” and you have hull control.

What is missing instead is to take control of the ship during flight and switch back and forth between attack wing and hull 

• Cool 2

Players
29 posts
4,766 battles
2 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

However: your proposal is essentially already possible. Press “F” and you have hull control.

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't believe I make it clear enough that I'm actually referring to missing control while a squad is airborne. 

Unfortunately, by gaining control, the squad returns to the ship which creates a huge conflict that shouldn't be there in the first place. I believe both features can co-exist.

• Cool 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,898 posts
19,720 battles

WG believes we are too stupid to be able to switch between hull and aircraft.

And considering average player skill they are right.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 9

[DREAD]
Players
9,695 posts
6,862 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Sounds like an excuse. Ppl finding that too difficult (...) don’t have to use it. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[XFS]
Players
206 posts
17,260 battles

Auto pilot works well if used correctly and does what you are asking for ? use it often and watch the map/game

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,898 posts
19,720 battles
1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Sounds like an excuse. Ppl finding that too difficult (...) don’t have to use it. 

I mean, it's WG, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Funny 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
1 ora fa, SDGsteve ha scritto:

Auto pilot works well

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,981 posts
7,607 battles
1 hour ago, SDGsteve said:

Auto pilot works well if used correctly and does what you are asking for ? use it often and watch the map/game

The thing is, after you set it - for example to make a circle if you want to GTFO,

then the thing decides (while you are flying the plane) to go forward/backward anyway.

And you will find out... CV spotted... BOOMSHANKA! :Smile_facepalm: 

• Funny 1

Players
1,421 posts
8,466 battles

When I played cvs I tend to manually use the carrier ALOT. Since I used to go as close to the frontline as possible often I had to evade enemy torpedoes or sail around islands to run away while I was waiting for the planes to load and take off.

You know whats the funny thing? in WOWS Blitz (that version of WOWS where you use a cellphone or a tablet) you CAN control the CV and even use it's guns!! Heck, even they have the BB Ise (a japanese ship which was an hybrid between a battleship and a carrier)
So, how come a game with so few controls you can do all that, and a pc game you just can't because it was "too complicated" for players to understand??

Players
10,026 posts
11,823 battles
12 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

When I played cvs I tend to manually use the carrier ALOT. Since I used to go as close to the frontline as possible often I had to evade enemy torpedoes or sail around islands to run away while I was waiting for the planes to load and take off.

You know whats the funny thing? in WOWS Blitz (that version of WOWS where you use a cellphone or a tablet) you CAN control the CV and even use it's guns!! Heck, even they have the BB Ise (a japanese ship which was an hybrid between a battleship and a carrier)
So, how come a game with so few controls you can do all that, and a pc game you just can't because it was "too complicated" for players to understand??

Similar story with WoT Blitz, which happen to have MM+-1 and lack of artillery:cap_cool:

Players
29 posts
4,766 battles
7 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:
9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Exactly.

• Boring 1

Players
29 posts
4,766 battles

I believe this is a really important matter. Anyone have any ideas on how we can elevate this? Can we pin it someware or make a poll for it?

Players
362 posts
2,114 battles

Sadly I doubt it will happen, it's been requested before, again and again and again and again (x1000) but as of yet we have nothing to show for it.

IIRC  one of the big CV player of old send WarGaming a letter/email that was roughly A4 page in length describing exactly why having manual control of the CV hull was a good thing and would improve game play to which WarGamings response was:

Image result for Yeah but no meme

And shot it down in flames.... unlike their AA against aircraft (honk, honk)

Can't find the post anymore but it's on here somewhere back in early 2019 not too long after the Reeework came out.

• Funny 1

[RFTN]
Players
247 posts
1,787 battles

Sadly wargaming thinks we are too stupid to control both at the same time

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

I totally agree, RTS provided control of planes and carrier. So you could ram an opponent easily.

Today my team essentially lost because I couldn’t ram a North Carolina, and setting way points etc was pointless,  in a nut shell; in the last 10 mins a Devonshire and North Carolina closed in on my Kaga behind an island on C, my allies were in A, I took  out the Devonshire and was attacking the 2/3 strength North Carolina obviously a high reward low threat task, rofl, (3k per torp 😕), given I was going to die I tried to ram him, pre rework no problem but now with planes in the air and attacking no chance, needless to say I was sunk and red won, had I been able to ram I’d still have died but ramming the BB would’ve seen a victory, unless RNG put a spanner in the works.

So yes cvs should be controllable whenever the player wants.

Sign in to follow this