optimal_909

Kii in 2020

21 comments in this topic

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,173 battles

I am going through a purchase consideration and thought on asking recent experience on Kii. Now I know this ship is in general not recommended especially for the money, therefore I give a bit of background and thought process - with a TL;DR summary at the end. :)

So, here is the situation:

- Late 2018 when I started playing, I decided to drop about €20 every year in support of the WG's dev team, but given last year's blunders I didn't drop a dime towards WG the past year --> however, I still feel like it would be fair to give them ~€10-20 in exchange for a game that -blunders aside- I'm playing on a daily basis

- I have 6700 doubloons I won through various events/crate drops, and looking for ways to spend it

- I am a BB/IJN main and also a sucker for eccentric ships/builds/playstyles (my Nagato and Yamato are both secondary builds :), )

I have plenty of port slots I bought on the cheap at the end of 2018, also I don't feel like buying perma camo as in itself it doesn't bring fresh gameplay - I considered one for the Shima or Zao for T10 economy (have the Yamato already), but I just can't decide which one. Anyway, I'm not enjoying T10 too much these days and bought a Smolensk as a go-to-tool for ranked too.

Therefore, I am looking at a premium ship to spend my doubloons on with the option to to add €10 and also exchange RN tokens for doubloons, resulting in about 10k doubloons.

With that and 25% discount, most premium ships are within reach, and considering my preferences (IJN BBs), I came to the following verdicts:

- Mikasa: great ship, bought it for €10 and has a 10pt secondary commander :)

- Ishizuchi: looks efficient on paper, but doesn't offer too much flavour and bad AA in current T4 meta is just something I want to avoid --> No

- Mutsu: I love the Nagato, therefore sister ship that appears like a T6 Musashi with torps looks like a win, like T6 too, however, I have already a myriad of T6 premiums I like (PEF, Perth, Huanghe, Anshan + ships I don't play Gallant, Aigle, De Grasse...) so I just don't feel like getting another T6 ship --> Maybe at some point?

- Ashitaka: I have the same issues as with Ishizuchi, and anyway Nagato is there at T7 that I like very much already --> No

- Kii: Amagi is a great ship, have good matches with it, uptiers extremely well, however, the concept of Kii having torps, good AA, fast rudder shift makes me think must be more interesting to play, especially on flanks. Being a good credit earner is a huge plus as well as being rare. Also, I really don't have a go-to BB at T8, Amagi is efficient but predictable, Bismarck is just too common and its guns are not very satisfying, though Richelieu is coming up soon and sounds interesting - the rest of T8 BBs are just meh for me (I know, NC is good, but uninteresting). Oh, and I received the Vanguard from a crate, hands down my least favorite BB tied with Bretagne.

TL;DR

I like to concept of Kii, and I like to play compromised, but interesting ships. So I am probably going for, however, info on Kii is a bit outdated, therefore I have the following practical questions:

- I read that its side armor and torp protection is compromised vs Amagi, but but does it have the same armor at the back/stern at least? Amagi is really good at kiting.

- How are the torp arcs when kiting, is it possible the launch them backwards without flashing too much broadside, considering the fast rudder?

- Is the AA still good enough to deter T8 CVs of focusing me if alone?

- Overall, given the changes in game the past year, how does this ship feel in the current meta?

• Cool 1

[EUTF]
Players
151 posts
5,949 battles

Im in the same situation as you describe, i have some doubloons accumulated slowly from free stuff and i wanted to spend it with the -25% coupon we have and Kii was one of the ship i was thinking (other ones is Massa/Tirpitz/Roma/Kaga/Lenin).

i dont have the ship and i played just few game in Amagi in PTS server for comparison but here what i think:

Torp Arcs are good but the torps are located in the back of the ship - its like Zao angles in the front side and a bit generous on the back - see picture for angles from wows fitting tool site)
AA are nice but again it will only help you on bad/meh cv players cause good ones will avoid most of the flacks and bomb you in eternity
Armor is weaker than Amagi and torpedo belt is way less (43%Amagi - Kii 25%)
It has less sigma than amagi i think 1.7

i think its just a meh/okey ship but doesnt worth much in the current meta, i just wish in future WG will split jpn BB and we can get some fantasy brawling jpn BB that would be fun

If you get it share your experience here :)

Screenshot_2020-02-21 WoWS Fitting Tool.png

• Cool 2

Players
1,708 posts

The AA isnt bad :- It is not as manic as Amagi,s B hull.

Kii  image.png.b694e4567e253dade8283daf7c83f30f.png last game I played in her. You will need to factor in fire prevention, and repair, that 32mm armour is every ones free damage whore. 

I like to use Amagi for " aim and dispersion " tests

Personally I would spend 20 euros more and get Georgia, where speed and movement is not as much an issue, when up tiered.

image.png.1554ddd3f6f379f7af390ed296c26f17.png

image.thumb.png.a634ecbc9059647107366c1c7ffd9d9a.png

image.thumb.png.68810379382884f312ac175050692dbc.png

Addendum :

OBTW I can not remember the last time I torpedoed some one in a Kii.

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,173 battles
3 hours ago, Nauseica said:

Im in the same situation as you describe, i have some doubloons accumulated slowly from free stuff and i wanted to spend it with the -25% coupon we have and Kii was one of the ship i was thinking (other ones is Massa/Tirpitz/Roma/Kaga/Lenin).

i dont have the ship and i played just few game in Amagi in PTS server for comparison but here what i think:

Torp Arcs are good but the torps are located in the back of the ship - its like Zao angles in the front side and a bit generous on the back - see picture for angles from wows fitting tool site)
AA are nice but again it will only help you on bad/meh cv players cause good ones will avoid most of the flacks and bomb you in eternity
Armor is weaker than Amagi and torpedo belt is way less (43%Amagi - Kii 25%)
It has less sigma than amagi i think 1.7

i think its just a meh/okey ship but doesnt worth much in the current meta, i just wish in future WG will split jpn BB and we can get some fantasy brawling jpn BB that would be fun

If you get it share your experience here :)

Screenshot_2020-02-21 WoWS Fitting Tool.png

Well, went for it and played two matches. The first one was unfortunately a steamroll, but the second one was a fairly balanced match and I have to say I like the ship.

Sigma may be worse, but dispersion is actually a tiny bit tighter than the Amagi, and with 10 shells the guns feel satisfying. Armor feels adequate when angled, and as I checked the rear of the ship is armored the same way as Amagi, so not much damage is taken through the aft.

Torp arcs are indeed great, so that's another box ticked - plus as you see below I already used it and it helped me win a duel against a Massa.

I wasn't torped and none of the matches were a CV match so I have no experience with torp protection and AA - but I hope good AA plus fighter is a good enough as deterrent.

Checking the stats, vs. Amagi Kii is somewhat faster, has much better rudder.

As you say I'd also fancy an IJN brawler, but Amagi and Kii are perhaps as close as you get to it, because armor is great for kiting away and you still have at least three turrets - with Kii the options are even better thanks to the rudder shift.

Verdict: certainly not the best ship out there, but I think it is decent even in current meta (I even bounced some Vladvostok shells to :) ) and interesting plus it is a good credit earner. In other words, you get what you see.

shot-20_02.21_14_34.12-0090.thumb.jpg.de534b2b893fe4d87d2542efeb005e81.jpg

3 minutes ago, Barracuda_111 said:

The AA isnt bad :- It is not as manic as Amagi,s B hull.

Kii  image.png.b694e4567e253dade8283daf7c83f30f.png last game I played in her. You will need to factor in fire prevention, and repair, that 32mm armour is every ones free damage whore. 

I like to use Amagi for " aim and dispersion " tests

Personally I would spend 20 euros more and get Georgia, where speed and movement is not as much an issue, when up tiered.

image.png.1554ddd3f6f379f7af390ed296c26f17.png

image.thumb.png.a634ecbc9059647107366c1c7ffd9d9a.png

image.thumb.png.68810379382884f312ac175050692dbc.png

I have the Georgia and it's a great ship, but I wouldn't buy a coal ship with real money for sure. Also, Georgia is I believe not a doubloon ship.

• Cool 1

Players
1,708 posts
12 minutes ago, optimal_909 said:

Well, went for it and played two matches.

Good Luck I would not of replayed if you told us.

:Smile_Default:

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

If you're thinking KII because it has the special camo you can put on it sold extra. Get the ROMA instead, it's a better ship to play and has the same special camo for sale to put on it.  I have KII and dislike it, long shots are way too high and floaty with KII, making it a bad ship to even shoot 19k stock max distance with it. Forget using the plane to shoot even further with it.

• Bad 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,295 posts
10,677 battles
On 2/20/2020 at 10:56 AM, optimal_909 said:

- Kii: Amagi is a great ship,

It's not an Amagi, Armor layout is different, guns are worse than Amagis.

- I read that its side armor and torp protection is compromised vs Amagi, but but does it have the same armor at the back/stern at least? Amagi is really good at kiting.

Amagis Torp protection is the good thing. Though the Armor is kinda the same, which means IJN standard. That's not bad, nor it's good.

- How are the torp arcs when kiting, is it possible the launch them backwards without flashing too much broadside, considering the fast rudder?

The Torp range is good, it was 10 or 12 km, dont remember, But torping works mostly only against bad players, because you often go into a positon, where you end up with broadside, even with those angles. And the squishy IJN armor often doesn't protect you.

- Overall, given the changes in game the past year, how does this ship feel in the current meta?

Like it was before, though the AA was pretty nasty pre CV rework, now it's a good AA but not a no-flyzone ^^

This ship was never a good one, more average, if not bad. The guns have worse sigma, than Amagi and you will miss targets even in close combat.

I can recommend it only, if you really like IJN ships. If you want a strong or OP ship, then you shouldn't take it.

Myself I love the Kii, but only because I like IJN Ships and the style. Not becaues it's op

But it shined in 1vs1 ranked sprint and also in clan battles with T8 and only one BB, because with the torpedos, it can be pretty aggressive, if no dd is around

So if you are a fanboy and frustration-resistant - yes, if you want a powerful and strong ship - no ^^

• Cool 1

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,173 battles
11 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

It's not an Amagi, Armor layout is different, guns are worse than Amagis.

Amagis Torp protection is the good thing. Though the Armor is kinda the same, which means IJN standard. That's not bad, nor it's good.

The Torp range is good, it was 10 or 12 km, dont remember, But torping works mostly only against bad players, because you often go into a positon, where you end up with broadside, even with those angles. And the squishy IJN armor often doesn't protect you.

Like it was before, though the AA was pretty nasty pre CV rework, now it's a good AA but not a no-flyzone ^^

This ship was never a good one, more average, if not bad. The guns have worse sigma, than Amagi and you will miss targets even in close combat.

I can recommend it only, if you really like IJN ships. If you want a strong or OP ship, then you shouldn't take it.

Myself I love the Kii, but only because I like IJN Ships and the style. Not becaues it's op

But it shined in 1vs1 ranked sprint and also in clan battles with T8 and only one BB, because with the torpedos, it can be pretty aggressive, if no dd is around

So if you are a fanboy and frustration-resistant - yes, if you want a powerful and strong ship - no ^^

Yeah, the reasons for choosing it was pretty similar to yours. :)

At the end it boasts the things I fall for a BB: IJN, fast rudder, fat guns, decent AA, an interesting gimmick (the torps) and finally, it is rare.

While it is definitely not an OP ship, I think it is decent enough - i.e. definitely not bad. Feels stronger than Bismarck or Richelieu to be honest, and definitely one tier stronger than the Vanguard.

BTW I managed to land that torp by 'blind' releasing them at Shards as were were behind islands anticipating the trajectory of the Massa. He either didn't expect the torps or didn't know about them, but by the time he noticed them he couldn't avoid them all.

One more note: the model detailing is better than the standard IJN BBs, with the exception of the updated Yamato, of course.

[P7S]
Players
181 posts
2 minutes ago, optimal_909 said:

At the end it boasts the things I fall for a BB: IJN, fast rudder, fat guns, decent AA, an interesting gimmick (the torps) and finally, it is rare.

While it is definitely not an OP ship, I think it is decent enough - i.e. definitely not bad. Feels stronger than Bismarck or Richelieu to be honest, and definitely one tier stronger than the Vanguard.

BTW I managed to land that torp by 'blind' releasing them at Shards as were were behind islands anticipating the trajectory of the Massa. He either didn't expect the torps or didn't know about them, but by the time he noticed them he couldn't avoid them all.

One more note: the model detailing is better than the standard IJN BBs, with the exception of the updated Yamato, of course.

Check again the speed and rudder vs. upgraded Amagi, because it seems you only looked at stock Amagi...

Also, the armor differences between Amagi and Kii that truly matter are not visible in the game client. There are third party websites, where you can see the interior of the ships. I may check it later, since I don't remember for sure, but I think Kii has worse rear armor, as there is no armored bulkhead at the rear of its citadel.

• Cool 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
17,322 battles

I like the Kii. She has a bit of everything.

29.5 kts so fast enough.

5x2 410mm guns so hard hitting (can troll you a bit)

Good AA (Two Akizukis worth of 100 mm + "Bofors" 40 mm)

Decent secondaries (Those 100 mm + some 140mm)

Torps for close range fights and when kiteing away.

What she lacks in is armor and stealth.

Fun to play IMHO.

• Cool 2

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,173 battles
20 hours ago, Vbeest said:

Check again the speed and rudder vs. upgraded Amagi, because it seems you only looked at stock Amagi...

Also, the armor differences between Amagi and Kii that truly matter are not visible in the game client. There are third party websites, where you can see the interior of the ships. I may check it later, since I don't remember for sure, but I think Kii has worse rear armor, as there is no armored bulkhead at the rear of its citadel.

D'oh, I regularly fall for not setting top spec in the wiki. I see Kii's rudder shift is 15.9s, Amagi (B)'s is 17.3s.

In-game some differences are visible, the back of the citadel and the casemate armor are indeed thinner, but the plating outside appears to be the same.

I know there are invisible differences though.

20 hours ago, Hanse77SWE said:

I like the Kii. She has a bit of everything.

29.5 kts so fast enough.

5x2 410mm guns so hard hitting (can troll you a bit)

Good AA (Two Akizukis worth of 100 mm + "Bofors" 40 mm)

Decent secondaries (Those 100 mm + some 140mm)

Torps for close range fights and when kiteing away.

Fun to play IMHO.

Fully agree. Again, I think it is my most capable T8 BB alongside with Amagi with added fun factor on top of the latter (I don't have the NC and the Vladivostok, or any other premium aside of Vanguard).

Secondaries: I also noted the 140mm, is it worth to twinkle with them in your opinion? I love secondary builds, on Nagato I even compromised slot 3 and took the secondary mod - but I felt like Kii really needs the Aiming System Mod.

[N0RSE]
Players
179 posts
14,547 battles
On 2/21/2020 at 3:25 PM, o_Krakatoa_o said:

Addendum :

OBTW I can not remember the last time I torpedoed some one in a Kii.

My last game in Kii, I torpedoed a DD who was going to torpedo rush me from an island. Eat your own medicine 😂

• Cool 2

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles

Kii is an ok ship, though it certainly is not a great ship. Kinda like Amagi.

The guns basically are Amagi guns with a bit less accuracy. You will feel it, but it's not a gamechanging difference.

The armour protection is worse for torp protection and worse for citadel protection, but has a better main belt. If you don't regularly eat torps, you won't notice the difference much though, especially as Kii's citadel deck got buffed.

In almost all other areas, Kii is barely different from Amagi, except for AA and torps. AA, Amagi is way worse, but due to rework, AA means not as much anymore. At least you aren't completely free food for T6s, I guess. The torps are memey, being useful either to win brawls against non-Tirps or to torp while kiting. With 10 km range and excellent rear firing angles, few expect those. You can also torp smokes. Kii is rare enough that noone expects 10 km BB torps.

Kii.thumb.png.db127cad495ab64cf727452c4221f824.png

Secondaries would be good if they weren't 7.5 km max.

• Cool 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
17,322 battles
6 hours ago, optimal_909 said:

Secondaries: I also noted the 140mm, is it worth to twinkle with them in your opinion?

I use my Yama-cpt in her and AFT is the only 2ndary thing I have on him. Haven't tried anything else so I can't really say more than that.

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,295 posts
10,677 battles
On 2/22/2020 at 1:09 PM, optimal_909 said:

Well, it's a beautiful ship, but I think that Bismarck is stronger overall. The Kii guns are just spraying too much to be a good ship. But if you just enjoy japanese ships, then it'S totally a go. Just click my profile, I have her as background :D

She is the most beautiful BB imo

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,295 posts
10,677 battles
4 hours ago, Nit0 said:

My last game in Kii, I torpedoed a DD who was going to torpedo rush me from an island. Eat your own medicine 😂

I did that once early in a CB, dropped the torps into the central cap, where the DD wanted to go in. It's hilarious :D

• Cool 2

[GURKA]
Players
5,295 posts
10,677 battles
On 2/22/2020 at 1:26 PM, Hanse77SWE said:

I think the armor is totally okay for IJN standards, like you say, the guns are trolling. Because of the low sigma, guess it was 1.7

• Cool 1

[P7S]
Players
181 posts
On 2/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, Vbeest said:

Kii has worse rear armor, as there is no armored bulkhead at the rear of its citadel.

Getting back here to provide details, which I promised. So, Kii does have an 'armored' bulkhead at the rear of citadel but of 25 mm in the upper part (...yeah), and 73 mm in the lower. Amagi has a 152 mm armor there. Moreover, Kii has the rear belt armor also weaker than Amagi (but Amagi has weaker midship belt). These two facts combined rise questions about the Kii kiting ability.

The armor is quite complex on these ships, unlike all-or-nothing BBs, but this is not the only case where Kii is significantly worse armored. Too many to list though.

• Cool 1

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,173 battles

I am regularly playing the ship, and I am pretty happy with how she performs.

Sure, I was top tier today, but for example one shot a DD with AP shells.

kii1.thumb.jpg.00de8ebf0d122bd1ad11d588fef7d3d2.jpgkii2.thumb.jpg.f4f7338c1ef8c31eff78c0f47ce408d7.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
6 posts

The Kii is a great ship at tier 8. Up in till last month, I was not afraid to face off with tier 9 and 10 BB's, however there has been a recent miff to her long range accuracy. Anything over ten miles, the dispersion has been miffed so bad that you are just wasting money firing. This is really upsetting because one of the things i liked most about this ship is its standoff capabilities. Using the spotter plane you could drop rounds at in at 22 to 24 miles with accuracy. It is still a good close quarters ship however, with it's AP penetration it is a citadel  monster. Contrary to one of the above posts regarding it's torps, I torp ships all the time, especially in CQ, because you can point the bow almost straight into the enemy ship and then just turn slightly right of left and let them fly. It has great torp angles. I just do not understand why Wargaming has to mess with the ships performance and armament characteristics, what the hell, you pay for this ship because of it's specific performance characteristics and then they change them. Is there anything else out there that you pay for and the company then changes the products performance  without notice to meet their whim. This is the kind of crap they pull that makes you want to stop playing the game. 

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
15 hours ago, versed5150 said:

The Kii is a great ship at tier 8. Up in till last month, I was not afraid to face off with tier 9 and 10 BB's, however there has been a recent miff to her long range accuracy. Anything over ten miles, the dispersion has been miffed so bad that you are just wasting money firing. This is really upsetting because one of the things i liked most about this ship is its standoff capabilities. Using the spotter plane you could drop rounds at in at 22 to 24 miles with accuracy. It is still a good close quarters ship however, with it's AP penetration it is a citadel  monster. Contrary to one of the above posts regarding it's torps, I torp ships all the time, especially in CQ, because you can point the bow almost straight into the enemy ship and then just turn slightly right of left and let them fly. It has great torp angles. I just do not understand why Wargaming has to mess with the ships performance and armament characteristics, what the hell, you pay for this ship because of it's specific performance characteristics and then they change them. Is there anything else out there that you pay for and the company then changes the products performance  without notice to meet their whim. This is the kind of crap they pull that makes you want to stop playing the game. 

Nothing got changed without notice. Last changes to Kii were buffs post CV rework, improving reload, turret rotation, torpedo range and strengthening the citadel deck. Being not very accurate was always a thing for Kii.