Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HassenderZerhacker

what tier 10 ship to buy with my coal?

28 comments in this topic

Players
875 posts
3,425 battles

soon I will have enough coal to buy my first tier 10 ship.

the question is which one?

should I get the Smolensk before it get withdrawn from the shop? or should I get another?

Players
5,977 posts
11,546 battles

Tier 10 ships only? Get Smolensk.

Btw, I haven't looked at your stats yet, but even though Smolensk is kinda boring to play by itself, it does offer a unique gameplay that very very few ships can offer you (and of the 3 other ships with similar gameplay that I can recall from top of my head, 2 are unavailable unless you are a megawhale and the 3rd is available for steel and has like 13km range only.

[URBAN]
Players
18 posts
3,774 battles

Some people would probably tell you not to get the Smolensk to not support OP ships, but to be honest since the ship is getting pulled I would recommend getting it.

Because otherwise you may regret it later.

Players
875 posts
3,425 battles
7 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Tier 10 ships only? Get Smolensk.

Btw, I haven't looked at your stats yet, but even though Smolensk is kinda boring to play by itself, it does offer a unique gameplay that very very few ships can offer you (and of the 3 other ships with similar gameplay that I can recall from top of my head, 2 are unavailable unless you are a megawhale and the 3rd is available for steel and has like 13km range only.

what range does the smolensk have?

I hated Furutaka and Aoba, but I like Myoko...

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
226 posts
6,803 battles

If the upcoming Soviet Cruiser line really gets that short-fuse AP, a lot of Smolensk owners will probably not be as happy as they are now :D

I'm currently in the same situation as OP, but i'm tending more towards the Thunderer. I don't particularly like spammy ships, and a BB with Battlercruiser dispersion sounds pretty juicy to me.

[KOKOS]
Players
456 posts
6,662 battles

Get the Smolensk. Good ship and soon a rarity.

It's unlikely that it will return in Santa crates either, because it's a Tier X.

Range is 17+ km or something - definitly enough and probably even too much.

Personally, I took the Salem when I had to make that decision myself, but since I only play premium/reward ships and won't get the Des Moines anytime soon, it made sense for me.

Thunderer will be my next Tier X coal ship, and it probably would have been even if Smol would stay in the Armoury.

[NMA]
Players
1,274 posts
18,940 battles
1 minute ago, genosse said:

It's unlikely that it will return in Santa crates either, because it's a Tier X. 

*set reminder for early December 2020*

We'll get back to this post later in the year. :cap_tea:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Players
1,725 posts
14,923 battles

You're not giving us enough info, tbh. Do you have personal preferences in terms of class? Do you prefer bb's, cruisers, dd's...? Where do you want to play it, randoms, coop, something competitive? Etc etc.

The two coal ships being removed soon are the Smolensk and Jean Bart, so I'd focus on those. One is broken and boring, the other very strong yet fun, but a tier lower and less useful for competitive environments. It really depends on your preferences though.

Overall though, your first t10 should absolutely be a tech tree ship, not a coal or fxp one - you need to learn as you progress through tiers, skipping to t10 with resources won't help you get better. Since the two ships I mentioned are being removed, though, you do want to get at least one before that, but as you do that I'd keep her in port / coop until you're confident you can be effective at t10.

I also wouldn't necessarily listen to everyone recommending the Smolensk. Yes, it's broken and getting removed soon, but let me offer my personal experience with it, which happens to be similar to many other people's I know: you get bored of it. Fast. If I was only allowed to keep either my Smolensk or Jean Bart, I'd be keeping the JB, no contest. Why? Because it's actually fun. But, like I said, get either, but whichever you go for, get to t10 in silver line ships of the same class before you take it into randoms, both you and your teams will have a more enjoyable experience.

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,876 posts
9,003 battles
4 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

Rangemod: 16km

AFT: 16,6km

Both: 19,2km

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,627 posts
13,904 battles

+1 for Smol. Once it's removed from the shop, that's yer lot, and she's useful to have around - quite apart from anything else, she's perhaps the most efficient way to complete 'main gun hits' and 'fires' type missions.

If you're squeamish about playing her, it's always better to have the option, rather than no choice.

8 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

13.8 km (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Smolensk) base, but everyone sensible seems to put at least one 'range extender' on her - either AFT, or the relevant upgrade. FWIW I use the upgrade, as it means I don't *need* an AFT captain, and I can't hit anything with floaty shells out to 19-odd km anyway...!

Edit - ninjaed by @DFens_666

[KOKOS]
Players
456 posts
6,662 battles
5 minutes ago, quickr said:

*set reminder for early December 2020*

We'll get back to this post later in the year. :cap_tea:

Oh, I actually hope it will happen. Since I own most gold boats already, I will probably have to buy a single container bundle and get that ship for 2,50 €.

Not exactly a popular opinion, I assume, but in this case I am thinking purely egotistical.

• Cool 1

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
6 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

You're not giving us enough info, tbh. Do you have personal preferences in terms of class? Do you prefer bb's, cruisers, dd's...? Where do you want to play it, randoms, coop, something competitive? Etc etc.

The two coal ships being removed soon are the Smolensk and Jean Bart, so I'd focus on those. One is broken and boring, the other very strong yet fun, but a tier lower and less useful for competitive environments. It really depends on your preferences though.

Overall though, your first t10 should absolutely be a tech tree ship, not a coal or fxp one - you need to learn as you progress through tiers, skipping to t10 with resources won't help you get better. Since the two ships I mentioned are being removed, though, you do want to get at least one before that, but as you do that I'd keep her in port / coop until you're confident you can be effective at t10.

JB is way better at making credits, a lot more fun, and, unlike smelensk, get better MM.

• Cool 1

Players
1,725 posts
14,923 battles
4 minutes ago, genosse said:

Oh, I actually hope it will happen. Since I own most gold boats already, I will probably have to buy a single container bundle and get that ship for 2,50 €.

Not exactly a popular opinion, I assume, but in this case I am thinking purely egotistical.

In my opinion it's a pretty safe bet Smol will be in christmas containers. Yes, it'd be the first time a t10 is found in one, but it's not like WG hasn't been pushing that boundary constantly, so it wouldn't be unlike them to cross this one as well. It also happens to perfectly fit the pattern of "release broken ship - make it unavailable when it gets the broken reputation - put her in lootboxes - count the money come christmas". It comes in the footsteps of Kamikaze, Gremy, Belfast, Kutuzov, etc... It'll happen, just wait and see.

• Cool 3

Players
3,329 posts
17 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I hated Furutaka and Aoba, but I like Myoko...

With a ten point captain, you can get something like 19. something k range, whether you hit anything at that range is another matter, want it for my alt even though I don't really like the ship,

[CAIN]
Players
4,495 posts
18,961 battles
5 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

In my opinion it's a pretty safe bet Smol will be in christmas containers. Yes, it'd be the first time a t10 is found in one, but it's not like WG hasn't been pushing that boundary constantly, so it wouldn't be unlike them to cross this one as well. It also happens to perfectly fit the pattern of "release broken ship - make it unavailable when it gets the broken reputation - put her in lootboxes - count the money come christmas". It comes in the footsteps of Kamikaze, Gremy, Belfast, Kutuzov, etc... It'll happen, just wait and see.

It might end up being the next Dockyard ship, considering how many People threw their credit Cards at their screen and how popular Smolensk is. 

A perfect opportunity for WG to milk even more Money. 

Ontopic: i recommend Thunderer. 

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,094 battles

Smolensk is my go to ship when I just want to spam crap out of anything

I would recommend her to anyone who can get it before she disappears for "good" (I say good but wg has a record of putting anything into loot boxes at xmas that will bring the ship hunters out)

I run Smolensk with both range upgrades and it feels fine even long range against bbs who your looking for fires on anyway rather than shell damage

I also have the thunderer and though its also fun due to long range accurate guns the damn thing seems to eat damage easily

jb is another ship I have that is very nice but with the sit and spam play with it that most do I find it gets boring fast

whatever you get look up reviews on youtube and also in ship section of the forum to see what problems people are having with them

[KOKOS]
Players
456 posts
6,662 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

Even if it won't happen on Christmas, the ship will be back one way or another, and most likely with a price tag attached.

If I have to chose my poison, I'd rather take a (for me) cheap loot crate option, than a 200,- € admiral bundle with a commemorative flag and 50 so-so camos.

It shouldn't be a Type 59 situation either, as WG so far did not admit that the ship overperforms, but just that it's too popular at the moment.

Smolensk will definitly come back.

To stay on topic: I would still chose her at the moment, if you don't plan on spending hundreds of Euros down the road on either obtaining all Tier 5+ gold ships in the game to make lootbox gambling an option, or on the inevitable admiral bundle/dockyard scheme. But I am having more of a collector's point of view, so take that into account please.

[KOKOS]
Players
456 posts
6,662 battles
2 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

thanks for all the replies, Smolensk it is then.

Ehrenmann! :cap_book:

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,194 battles
2 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

thanks for all the replies, Smolensk it is then.

Sound decision.

I was in a similar situation, and took it a couple of days earlier. Should be a great tool for the upcoming ranked too.

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,152 battles
21 hours ago, optimal_909 said:

Sound decision.

I was in a similar situation, and took it a couple of days earlier. Should be a great tool for the upcoming ranked too.

But would you  call it fair if you win? :cap_hmm:

I  might use it a couple to ten matches as well. Then say mm yes. Defeat chain. I'll pick another ship. Though I'm expecting a saturates mm with 3 Smolensk on each side. No DD play for me this season. 

Players
1,725 posts
14,923 battles
Just now, Sirius_IV said:

I  might use it a couple to ten matches as well. Then say mm yes. Defeat chain. I'll pick another ship. Though I'm expecting a saturates mm with 3 Smolensk on each side. No DD play for me this season. 

All is fair in love and ranked.

• Funny 1

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,152 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

All is fair as long as it's Soviet. 

Fixed it:cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,194 battles
15 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

You tell me. :) Though I think still far better, than with a CV.

And yes, if no one is spotting for you in a Smolensk, then it is a useless ship.

Otherwise I have not much to bring along: Yamato, Zao (both with legendary modules and 19pt captain), GK, Shima and Worcester.