You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admirality

How to Chapayev?

49 comments in this topic

[CZSL]
Players
85 posts
3,897 battles

Hi guys,

I am asking for a little advice how do play this tier 8 soviet cruiser? 

It has no armour, turning slowly, useles torps, no heal. My experience from japanese cruisers is useless. Do you play on short or max range?

Thanks a lot.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,355 posts
10,110 battles

Max range HE spam. Burning down pushing battleships and cruisers and making them turn away is chapayevs strong point. 

Don't be that guy that rushes in at the start to use radar because his team demands him to radar. Survivability first, radar second. 

Play safe until the bbs are spotted so you know how to angle. 

Don't hug islands because the ship is terrible at it. 

Torps are only for show because 99% of the matches you will not use them. 

Later in the match your can ambush DDs with stealth radar and finish them off. 

• Cool 14

Players
6,490 posts
10,755 battles

Opening: search for cover near a cap, make an enemy DDs life miserable. Have a plan to get out of that position. If reds push your flank: you kite & dodge long range. if not: you move up. Support your DDs with radar at all times. Learn about the caliber of BBs: in top tier situation, chapayev can bow in / angle against many BBs. Then you can just aggressivly push and even torp such BBs.

Edit: @GarrusBrutus u wuss ^^ no risk, no fun :D

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[SKRUB]
Players
550 posts
21,198 battles

Japaness cruiser don't have heal too...

Problem is not the range, but if you know where you need to be and when you should use your trap card.

Like a Shilka, you use your tool in order to denial map zone to dd.

Players
2,920 posts
16,661 battles
47 minutes ago, Admirality said:

My experience from japanese cruisers is useless.

Did you play Shchors? Ok, forget you have radar and play it like a Shchors eg: max range HE spam untill you know where enemy Bbs are and can position so they cant hit your broadside. If a chance presets itself later, you can ambush dds (if you are spotted without shooting, radar will show you what it is --> most often DD)

Also what Garrusbrutus says.

• Cool 2

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

max range, trying to avoid incoming shells. positionning and map awareness very important to avoid being deleted by BBs as you're litterally a floating citadel.

know how to use your great concealment at your advantage, disengage from a fight and go dark, then shoot again just after your BB target shot as well so you're free to fire without being shot back.

Abuse of this. Shoot a couple times, go dark, wait for your target to shoot, then engage again, repeat.

Don't go quickly to a cap zone at the beginning of the map, you will be either deleted, or stuck behind an island and unable to shoot because of fire arcs of russian cruisers.

Radar is great, especially in the late game to ambush DDs as you can stealth radar.

Great ship, but not easy to master. Donskoi after is much more resilient and can sustain way more damage.

Good luck.

• Cool 1

[PIKES]
Players
404 posts

I am playing in Co-ops for grinding Moskva. After 60 games i have handled to survive playing it.

I agree with all advises shared.

Avoid be broadsided by BB.

Start with 1/2 or 1/4 velocity and look at map: where are your DD going ?  Plan where will be your center operation and try to select an island to protect one of your flanks. Wait for appearing one or two of enemy bots and wait. Don't use radar until you have been detected by a hidden DD, or when you suspect could be near you and your friendly DD (perhaps the enemy's beginning a new cap). If you see a plane near your 5 km range, active the reforce AA protection and try to kill as fast as possible all planes. If you began to be shoot by more than two enemy, desengage or try to reposition using the nearest island . Beging using HE and try to produce many fires, killing first DD, then cruisers, and the BB to end. When Cruises are 4 o 5 km away, change to AP, and try to citadel them (becare with german cruisers). Then when you are less to 4 km try to finish one ship with torps , and keep the last salvo torp for other ship, preferentially a BB. Then you meet the enemy CV . This strategy only in Co-ops.

[HAZEL]
Players
55 posts
7,004 battles

Stay at max range at the start of the match (not a lot of risk) or rush for an island to block the enemy DD from capping with your radar / sniper rifles (can be risky as you can get trapped if your team gets pushed).

Move from cover to cover and if there is no cover stay behind or close to your team.

When Priority Target shows u getting targetted u stop shooting and make a hard turn away from the enemy untill you have dissapeared.
Then you look for your next target (or the same if your target begins shooting at someone else) to pummel with your HE and set on fire.

Repeat above and you should be ok. DM Donskoi plays similar but has a worse detectability of 12.6km instead of Chapayevs 10.4km (both with Concealment Expert and Camo).
DM Donskoi is more of a BB magnet then Chapayev from what i have experienced playing both. Still both eat a lot of Citadels if you get caught out of position, flanked or when you don't use your concealment inbetween enemy shots.

IFHE is a must if you want to pen BB's and will significantly increase your damage.

• Cool 3

[PIKES]
Players
404 posts
22 minutes ago, LavyDunois said:

Stay at max range at the start of the match (not a lot of risk) or rush for an island to block the enemy DD from capping with your radar / sniper rifles (can be risky as you can get trapped if your team gets pushed).

Move from cover to cover and if there is no cover stay behind or close to your team.

When Priority Target shows u getting targetted u stop shooting and make a hard turn away from the enemy untill you have dissapeared.
Then you look for your next target (or the same if your target begins shooting at someone else) to pummel with your HE and set on fire.

Repeat above and you should be ok. DM Donskoi plays similar but has a worse detectability of 12.6km instead of Chapayevs 10.4km (both with Concealment Expert and Camo).
DM Donskoi is more of a BB magnet then Chapayev from what i have experienced playing both. Still both eat a lot of Citadels if you get caught out of position, flanked or when you don't use your concealment inbetween enemy shots.

IFHE is a must if you want to pen BB's and will significantly increase your damage.

Thanks for DM tips . I suspect it will harder than Chapayev

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,172 posts
10,741 battles
2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

Opening: search for cover near a cap, make an enemy DDs life miserable. Have a plan to get out of that position. If reds push your flank: you kite & dodge long range. if not: you move up. Support your DDs with radar at all times. Learn about the caliber of BBs: in top tier situation, chapayev can bow in / angle against many BBs. Then you can just aggressivly push and even torp such BBs.

Edit: @GarrusBrutus u wuss ^^ no risk, no fun :D

Nah, very balls to the wall, in theory you're right but in practice Garrus Brutus is right.

Players
6,490 posts
10,755 battles
24 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Nah, very balls to the wall, in theory you're right but in practice Garrus Brutus is right.

You think?

image.png.473d372263b5668ad57dc92ab1f1d011.png

And tbh - I dont think you are in the position to judge.

• Bad 1

[TAW]
[TAW]
Players
49 posts
17,200 battles

One more tip if you keep your captain dedicated for Chappa: 
Go for IFHE , forget about CE.
If you do opt for moving your captain to Donskoi or Moskva then you do not want IFHE. Go for CE or FP instead.

Also Brutus is more or less correct. Play position inline with your BB's; every now and then make sure to go dark so you check for your BB's that nothing is in torp range of your friendly BB's. your 10-11k detection range + 12k radar means you create a torp free zone. If a DD is foolish to wander into this zone punish it hard. Radio Location might help with this.

The benefit of being being inline of BB's is that enemy ships tend to fire at that target if they do not wiggle your [edited]until they are no longer interested or you go dark.
Island play is very difficult so don't get tempted to remain at an island, if it does not work for you just move out and find somewhere better (or in most cases with your BB line in open water).

• Cool 1

Players
2,589 posts
11,389 battles
5 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Max range HE spam. Burning down pushing battleships and cruisers and making them turn away is chapayevs strong point. 

Don't be that guy that rushes in at the start to use radar because his team demands him to radar. Survivability first, radar second. 

I disagree though. DDs should be gotten rid of asap, especially non-gunboat DDs with good stealth like shima and the likes. The longer a DD survives in game, the more useful it is. Killing the enemy DD deny a) spotting for the enemy and b) surprise attacks because you never know where they actually are unless they break stealth. At the start of the game if they go for caps you at least know that they are there and can radar and kill them.

Had a game yesterday in Smolensk and it was 3/4 ways through the game. I knew that there was an enemy Kurfurst and Smol ahead of me so I could still push if I watch myself. So was pushing when suddenly 5 torps appeared. At first I thought it was the smolensk but he was too far away (about 14km) and the gearing that was on this flank is already dead. Turns out the enemy shima decided to come over to the flank im at. He managed to kill me but I killed him with my last salvo. So yes, I agree with Forlorn. Radar at the start. Proper positioning and use of radar at the start of the game will benefit the team in the long run, which will also benefit you as well.

• Bad 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,355 posts
10,110 battles
4 hours ago, pra3y said:

Proper positioning and use of radar at the start of the game will benefit the team in the long run, which will also benefit you as well.

Ofcourse if the map and team spawn/early movement allows it then obviously you should support them with radar. I agree it gives a massive advantage to your team if it means an enemy dd takes heavy damage or dies because of it. 

But.... (And this is a big but imo) 

I see so many chapayevs push in at the start beyond a point of no return just to use their radar once and die. That's a waste of your excellent dpm later in the game. Also at tier 8 you obviously do not have a heal so take one or two citadels after two minutes and your game is ******.

This is a matter of experience: how far can I go without exposing myself too much at the start. It's a thin line between getting deleted and being useful. Even after all these years I get blapped every once in a while in my chappy because I judged the situation poorly. So I'd rather have an inexperienced chappy captain staying back alive and dealing dmg than him pushing in and die at the start.

• Cool 7

Players
2,589 posts
11,389 battles
1 hour ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Ofcourse if the map and team spawn/early movement allows it then obviously you should support them with radar. I agree it gives a massive advantage to your team if it means an enemy dd takes heavy damage or dies because of it. 

But.... (And this is a big but imo) 

I see so many chapayevs push in at the start beyond a point of no return just to use their radar once and die. That's a waste of your excellent dpm later in the game. Also at tier 8 you obviously do not have a heal so take one or two citadels after two minutes and your game is ******.

This is a matter of experience: how far can I go without exposing myself too much at the start. It's a thin line between getting deleted and being useful. Even after all these years I get blapped every once in a while in my chappy because I judged the situation poorly. So I'd rather have an inexperienced chappy captain staying back alive and dealing dmg than him pushing in and die at the start.

While I understand where you are coming from I would still disagree. IMO its a learning process. If you forever choose to play safe and only move forward once it is safer, than you aren't really playing the ship to its advantage. It makes the gameplay stagnant and serve no purpose. If you want to be a long range HE spammer with good velocity guns then might as well play the french CAs. The radar is there for a purpose.

If you get balpped then just take it as a learning experience. It teaches you how to properly position while moving forward, prepare a getaway plan, angle away if spotted etc. Have I been blapped at the start even in the Moskava? Yes. Did I escape successfully? Yes. What was the added advantage I got from being double citadelled? Faster DPM with adrenalin rush :Smile_trollface: Jokes aside learning the harder way and adapting is a much better way to learn and improve as a player. If you can push forward then why not.

Just plan your approach well and have a get away plan and it'll be fine. Its a learning process anyway. Some people go forward and then become permanently stuck to the island while the enemy pushes cause they didn't make a proper escape plan. Others are forever camping at the back and never making use of their radar. I had a Dmitri Donskoi the other day, spawn on the west side of the map, immediately bailed and went east and sailed around the eastern border. He was safe the entire game. But was he useful or contributed to the team? No.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,172 posts
10,741 battles
8 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

You think?

Yes.

I'm not judging you.

As I was saying Chapayev it's a balls to the wall kind of ship, yes you should get closer to the caps to support your dds, but many things can happen to your dds like getting killed right of the start, and then you are all alone because if you have any additional  support at all, they will break off when the dd is lost.

Chapayev it's not a bad ship but it's a bit awkward. While in  paper it's practically the same as Shchors, it's slower, don't have the same stopping power capability that Shchors has  and it's less responsive.

Both ships would be awkward but Shchors would be better in that role than Chapayev , if they switch radar or tier.

Shchors ,also, can have more range than Chapayev or DM Donskoy, there's that too.

I try to do a combination of what you say and what GarrusBrutos is saying.

I get closer to the cap with the dd with a well planned and if I have a well planned way out ,when I'm detected I pop my radar, drive by shooting for 20 s and get my [edited]out of there, if we get him, we get him, if not , we don't.

if the dd it's detecting the other dd I'll try to linger for a little longer (by this time I'm already eating shells, being focus down by the dd's support team, some of the times I'm not focus down.

then back to the usual game play, until my next radar, and do that all over again.

I am relieve when my radar's out for good. then Chapa can do a lot better.

p.s.- Shchors could deal with that pesky stationary DM much better than a Chappa struggling for range.

[PIKES]
Players
404 posts

9 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

You think?

About Dmitry, how do you play him? as Chapaev. I only have fun in maps full of islands, trying to shoot nearest enemies bots ( i play only co-ops lately) with chap, and trying get DM and finally Moskva. Playing random with these ships is for too skilled? :fish_book:

[PIKES]
Players
404 posts
7 hours ago, Greuter29 said:

The benefit of being being inline of BB's is that enemy ships tend to fire at that target if they do not wiggle your [edited]until they are no longer interested or you go dark.

Island play is very difficult so don't get tempted to remain at an island, if it does not work for you just move out and find somewhere better (or in most cases with your BB line in open water).

Then, open waters in parallel with BB

Island playing if map is nice for that play style

Radar DD's and punishing them.

Support AA defense in the 5 km range or use the hidro option (i don't remember well now but i guessing I have that upgrade option in alternative from defense AA in Chapaev), what is better for team game?:fish_book:

Players
151 posts
20,766 battles
12 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

This.

Players
6,490 posts
10,755 battles
1 hour ago, neorvo said:

About Dmitry, how do you play him? as Chapaev. I only have fun in maps full of islands, trying to shoot nearest enemies bots ( i play only co-ops lately) with chap, and trying get DM and finally Moskva. Playing random with these ships is for too skilled? :fish_book:

Maps with Islands do favour Donskoi, that is true. But it needs to be played a little bit more careful as Chapayev. The concealment, which is a strong point of Chapa, is all of a sudden against you. You need to think a bit more ahead, usualy you turn your ship before any engagement. When you turn your Donskoi while thinking "oh s*** im in problems" - thats usualy a sign you overextended or misspositioned. So early game: you kite the enemys. You pick one BB, which you think, cant get away anymore or is under HE fire from someone else and join in. If he starts firing at you, you move and dodge. For Donskoi, there is one simple rule: if you can use all 4 guns on the target - you show too much broadside. For dodging, you turn until your front turrets lose angle. Then you are fine.

Late game - you try to preserve health as much as possible, then you can carefully push. Donkoi is quite tanky, especially against cruisers. There are many of which you dont need to be afraid to pick a 1x1. Like a bow on stationary Moskva - just rush it. You have torps, he doesnt. One ship you want to avoid: Des Moines.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
49 posts
126 battles

Excuse me for this slightly irrelevant post but I wanted to urge you to have mercy when I spot your chapayev in my DD....

And consider not pressing the radar instantly.

my crew has a family they want to return to so please... Have a little mercy.

I'm sorry for this post but I needed to write it down.

• Cool 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
1 minute ago, Asashio_Kai_Nii said:

Excuse me for this slightly irrelevant post but I wanted to urge you to have mercy when I spot your chapayev in my DD....

And consider not pressing the radar instantly.

my crew has a family they want to return to so please... Have a little mercy.

I'm sorry for this post but I needed to write it down.

And here I thought you liked microwaves tossed your way...

• Funny 1

Players
1,116 posts
21,771 battles

Chappy is a decent long range fire support with utility of radar. Best used like the USN cruisers - island cover most of the time, if in open sea don't engage if you are in a crossfire.

• Cool 1

[CZSL]
Players
85 posts
3,897 battles

Thanks for answers guys... just played one game in Chapayev, this ship probably irresistable target for enemy team...:Smile_ohmy: but i will carry on

• Cool 1

Players
5,977 posts
11,546 battles
On 2/19/2020 at 12:55 AM, ForlornSailor said:

You think?

Tschapaew?:Smile-_tongue:

And btw you forgot to add to always play in a division which will significantly change how you play certain ships. Because your stats aren't solo but most people do play solo so your advice won't always work for them.

I tried the radar support with the russian cruisers but it often won't work (because of your team. haha. hahahaha) partially because it will be more challenging to find an angle at which to lob shells over.

• Cool 1