Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

ATM1 Carrier upgrade - a must?

ATM1 CV upgrade  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have ATM1 equipped on your CVs?

• Yes, on all my CVs.
    • Yes, on some CVs (please elaborate).
    • No, I use different upgrades in third slot (please elaborate).
    • I don't play CVs.

59 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles

Hey there,
So a quick question abou ATM upgrade (sorry if you expected some dirty CV on CV action).
Do you use it on all carriers now? Some? None?

image.thumb.png.e9bbde1d0e721b092b538a7870cf31ea.png

Along with making the torpedoes faster, it also prolongs the arming distance of the torps.
To be honest I had to get used to it a lot, as almost all my torpedo salvos were duds, shortly after installing it (I like the torps to activate at the very last moment).

Poll included, please let me know what you think.

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,875 posts
11,950 battles

I use it on all my CVs, because speed is useful dropping a smoke or crosstorping DDs, but my clanmate doesnt use it so he can drop closer to broadside BBs. 

Matter of preference. 

• Cool 1

Players
133 posts
2,563 battles

I think all of my CVs will get it. I already have a Torpedo Acceleration skill on all my CV captains, that compliments it nicely. Requires practice, since I also drop late, but makes IJN torps almost unavoidable.

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles
4 minutes ago, kfa said:

my clanmate doesnt use it so he can drop closer to broadside BBs.  

Interesting. Does he understand the torps won't reach said BB any faster in that case?

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles
Just now, Asakka said:

I use Attack Aircraft Modification 1 instead of that

Noted. Thank you for your input!
Are you not bothered that it actually prolongs the period before next strike if you overshoot your firts fly-by?

Players
6,442 posts
10,751 battles
3 minutes ago, mein_nick_ist_besetzt said:

I think all of my CVs will get it. I already have a Torpedo Acceleration skill on all my CV captains, that compliments it nicely. Requires practice, since I also drop late, but makes IJN torps almost unavoidable.

There is a little bit of missthinking here - you overestimate the increased speed or forget, that it impact the arming distance. The faster the torps, the further away they have to be dropped to arm - since its time not distance, that defines the point of arming. Especially when you are used to drop close to the arming spot - skill and module are... useless. Indeed it only covers bad drops, since only then, the torps will reach the target faster.

Prove: with module / without module

image.png.ad57d6f35b0123753779c49e6703eb23.png

Its a little bit misleading, since the game only tells you about Arming Distance, not the time.

If you calculate: in both cases the torps travel the Arming Distance in exactly 1,9478 sek.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,523 battles

I leave that slot empty...

Any kind of torp acceleration messes with dropping distance. Faster the torpedo, further away you have to drop from. 

Any attack duration up module messes with your squadron if you overshoot... 

• Cool 1

Players
2,089 posts
13,417 battles

I use it on t6 and 8 IJN as those are faster - so bigger gain in speed and hopefully easier to torp DDs, removed from Midway as very little difference so I went with AAM1.

• Cool 1

Players
545 posts
6,310 battles

I don't use the mod, I prefer the longer TB drop time, because it allows me to initiate drops behind islands and/or switch targets middrop... 2 knots of speed really don't change that much. (I am using TA).

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
812 posts
8 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Noted. Thank you for your input!
Are you not bothered that it actually prolongs the period before next strike if you overshoot your firts fly-by?

Not at all, but 1-3knt speed is not much. If you can hit torps without it i dont see how the slight increase of speed will help you.

And the aircraft module helps me nail DDs, because i dont have problems with overshooting dds, but sometimes i need that 1-2 extra seconds if they sail away from me and i did blind attack run thinking they are sailing towards me.

My explanation is trash so i hope you understand :D

Rest is useless so it was between rocket planes and torp planes module for me

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,523 battles

Faster torpedos also prevent you from dropping to ships near islands.. You need to fly by to other side thus lose more planes.. 

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles
11 minutes ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Faster torpedos also prevent you from dropping to ships near islands.. You need to fly by to other side thus lose more planes.. 

Great point!

• Cool 1

Players
133 posts
2,563 battles
13 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

There is a little bit of missthinking here - you overestimate the increased speed or forget, that it impact the arming distance. The faster the torps, the further away they have to be dropped to arm - since its time not distance, that defines the point of arming. Especially when you are used to drop close to the arming spot - skill and module are... useless. Indeed it only covers bad drops, since only then, the torps will reach the target faster.

I'm fully aware of the increased arming distance. It's also why I said that it requires getting used to, and dropping earlier. What I see as a main advantage of those ~5kn more, is that it messes up with evasive maneuvers and can give me bonus bow/stern hits.

Come to think of it, it might be completely placebo effect, I'd need to check on statistically significant count of battles how I perform with and without this boost. I didn't have the time to test those hypothesis though

• Cool 1

[F_M_B]
Beta Tester
1,019 posts
6,164 battles

I use it on my Ark Royal. The torps have a converging droppattern and uses some distance to get really close. Because of that I drop from a higher distance than the arming distance, so this is not noticeable for me, but the increase in speed is quite usefull for this "long range" drops.

• Cool 1

[PANEU]
Players
899 posts
1,554 battles

I use it on midway. But IJN torps arming distance is to high in my opionion so I use them without captain skill and upgrade. 

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
456 posts
7,363 battles
24 minutes ago, Asakka said:

And the aircraft module helps me nail DDs, because i dont have problems with overshooting dds, but sometimes i need that 1-2 extra seconds if they sail away from me and i did blind attack run thinking they are sailing towards me.

Same here. I also use attack aircraft time.

As for the captain skill. I think i do have it on all CV's, not sure.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles
48 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Indeed it only covers bad drops, since only then, the torps will reach the target faster.

If you calculate: in both cases the torps travel the Arming Distance in exactly 1,9478 sek.

That applies if you torp the broadside.

I find the torpedo speed much more useful when torping DDs that turn away and try to outrun/turn the approaching torps.

You are right that it's not as clear cut as it might seem. In fact it's pretty complicated and the usefulness differs according to the situation IMHO.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles
38 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

I think the +5s attack time is better, for long range approaches

Not for me, that's for sure. I use the torpedo strike initiation as a (additional) way to dodge flak before the strike.

Could be useful when approaching behind semi-low island, mabye? Definitely not worth it IMHO.

Also summoning some more prolific CV captains @Bear__Necessities @El2aZeR @Yoshanai and did I forget someone? :cap_hmm:

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,523 battles
40 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Also summoning some more prolific CV captains @Bear__Necessities @El2aZeR @Yoshanai and did I forget someone? :cap_hmm:

Those guys are on a different level and their practices -while very effective for them- may not suit to general public 😊

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles
2 minutes ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Those guys are on a different level and their practices -while very effective for them- may not suit to general public 😊

Well, I have not created this thread for the general public, but for my own purposes :) And I wouldn't call the stat difference between them and myself "different level" if I may be so bold.

Players
8,169 posts
9,081 battles

The slot is crap in general. I'd go with secondary mod on GZ and for all others take whatever I think actually can benefit from longer attack run, typically TB, imo. But 2 knots more speed is like... just no.

• Cool 2

Players
6,442 posts
10,751 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

That applies if you torp the broadside.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Blixies said:

You are right that it's not as clear cut as it might seem. In fact it's pretty complicated and the usefulness differs according to the situation IMHO.

Very true. It prolly comes down to personal preference, against what targets you use your TBs and if you value the other modules more. The +2 sec attack time for the attack aircraft imo makes a huge difference.

Sign in to follow this