Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Sinksalot

Do Perma-Camo's Effectively Make A Premium Ship?

21 comments in this topic

Players
560 posts
3,540 battles

Just wandering on this one guys. I've played the game just about long enough to have a few "keepers" I really enjoy playing and I see these permanent camo's for about 1000 gold(For the T6) and at a glance these camo's appear to offer the exact same thing as the perma-camo's that are on my premium ships but do genuine premium ships have some hidden stats that make more credits and xp or would a regular tech tree ship effectively become a premium ship with one of these perma-camo's purchased for them?

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,009 posts

and of course a premium camo does not allow you to use every captain (of this nation) on your ship, which is imho a very important advantage of 'real' premium ships

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
5,551 posts
13,843 battles
2 hours ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

would a regular tech tree ship effectively become a premium ship with one of these perma-camo's purchased for them?

No (as already stated), but permaflage does have the merit of saving you some silver (or better consumable cammo) each battle you play with it.

As a fairly poor player, I do find that T9 and T10 (especially the latter) permaflages are very much worth having though; the T9 reduces your service charge at the end of each battle, which makes it far easier to turn a profit with the things (or reduce the loss in Coop), while the T10 turns the economies of ships of that tier into something not too far from a premium.

It's all about the economy though; arguably, the key value of most premiums is their utility as captain trainers, and a permaflage won't help you with that.

Players
560 posts
3,540 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

It's all about the economy though; arguably, the key value of most premiums is their utility as captain trainers, and a permaflage won't help you with that.

Ya that's a really attractive attribute about a premium ship. Also, unlike WoT, it appears we can also use captains from other classes of ships which is really very nice indeed. Where in this game you can put a captain from a cruisers into a premium DD, in WoT cannot put a medium tank crew into a premium light tank.

I was sad to discover that I had to purchase some pretty interesting cyborg futuristic style camo for a cruiser, I think it was the French T6 which I had unlocked through some event and thought it was a perma-camo for free since I had to grind it but no, sadly I would have to pay 2000 gold for the privilege(or maybe more, can't remember right now). It would have been an interesting transformation if a person is into that sort of Si-fi fantasy look but I don't think it was worth that much gold. 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,551 posts
13,843 battles
45 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Where in this game you can put a captain from a cruisers into a premium DD, in WoT cannot put a medium tank crew into a premium light tank.

That's a major plus for WOWS; you have to be mindful though that a lot of the time, a captain build for one class won't work well with another. It's by no means universal though e.g. several of the premium cruisers work pretty much optimally with a decent DD captain, and several of the 'supercruisers' suit a decent BB captain build.

49 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

It would have been an interesting transformation if a person is into that sort of Si-fi fantasy look but I don't think it was worth that much gold. 

This is the problem with a lot of the 'special' skins - they cost more than the standard ones, and the only difference is aesthetics. Unless you are insanely keen, or have so much money in your pockets that you need to hire people to hold your trousers up, the standard ones are - functionally, anyway - almost always the better choice.

As always, there are exceptions, the most notable ones are the 'national' permaflages (from memory, Shinonome, Warspite, and Graf Spee have them available), which do also improve the economics of the ships in question, plus the Kobayashi cammos, which *massively* improve the economics of their respective ships (Kii has one available, as do Roma, and Ashitaka). Even so, they're still quite expensive for what they are, and their value comes down to how much you need the extra silver.

Players
560 posts
3,540 battles

Interestingly when it comes to ships camo and styles I would be of the opinion that less is more, but totally a case of each to their own and choice is always a good thing. So instead of buying some fantasy camo or explosion of colors I would actually prefer to purchase or mount camo's that are actually "nude" and by that I mean that visually the ship appears the same as it does without camo's but retains whatever buffs and attributes the camo's come with.

I guess there's probably a way of turning off the visual effect of camo's to achieve that bare skin look and I just haven't found it. I have several premiums that all come with their perma-camo of course but I'd actually like to play them without that camo look and just as the bare ship in it's traditional naval paint job but obviously retaining the bonuses that came with it's camo. 

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,798 battles
1 hour ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

I guess there's probably a way of turning off the visual effect of camo's to achieve that bare skin look and I just haven't found it. I have several premiums that all come with their perma-camo of course but I'd actually like to play them without that camo look and just as the bare ship in it's traditional naval paint job but obviously retaining the bonuses that came with it's camo. 

Iirc there's a mod for that.

Players
125 posts
5,425 battles

I think the OP wanted to know if a Premium ship makes its money by being premium, or only thru the camo that goes with it. I too am interested in the answer.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,719 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, PsychoClownfish said:

I think the OP wanted to know if a Premium ship makes its money by being premium, or only thru the camo that goes with it. I too am interested in the answer.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Verblonde said:

No (as already stated), but permaflage does have the merit of saving you some silver (or better consumable cammo) each battle you play with it.

As a fairly poor player, I do find that T9 and T10 (especially the latter) permaflages are very much worth having though; the T9 reduces your service charge at the end of each battle, which makes it far easier to turn a profit with the things (or reduce the loss in Coop), while the T10 turns the economies of ships of that tier into something not too far from a premium.

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
529 posts
18,424 battles
1 hour ago, PsychoClownfish said:

Three sorts of ship:

• Techtree/Silver - normal multiplier on how many credits you earn for what you do and normal maintenance costs, so they earn the least and cost the most and therefore make the least profit.
  • "Special" - Coal ships and event ships where although they have a normal multiplier on the credits they have reduced maintenance costs (often a 50% reduction), so they don't earn any more but you make more profit.
  • Premium - increased multiplier for credit earnings and reduced service costs, so they earn more and cost less and can be quite profitable.

So to the original question of "do genuine premium ships have some hidden stats" the answer is yes.

• Cool 1

Players
560 posts
3,540 battles

So a ship purchased with coal with not be as profitable as exactly the same ship purchased with money? Wow, didn't see that one coming. 

Players
10,027 posts
11,823 battles
30 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

So a ship purchased with coal with not be as profitable as exactly the same ship purchased with money? Wow, didn't see that one coming. 

Currency you buy ship with doesn't matter, it depends on the ship tier. T10 ships like Yoshino, Stalingrad or Colbert are classified as "special" for a reason, only economy benefit they have is halved maintenance cost. Add to that T10 premium camo they come with (-50% maintenance, +20% credit and +100% exp) and you pay like 45k credits per battle in T10. 

Premium tier 9 and below do have increased credit coefficient, thus in terms of actual credit gains they will probably surpass T10 "special" ships, assuming you do more per battle than die in a corner.

• Cool 2

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
On 2/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Just wandering on this one guys. I've played the game just about long enough to have a few "keepers" I really enjoy playing and I see these permanent camo's for about 1000 gold(For the T6) and at a glance these camo's appear to offer the exact same thing as the perma-camo's that are on my premium ships but do genuine premium ships have some hidden stats that make more credits and xp or would a regular tech tree ship effectively become a premium ship with one of these perma-camo's purchased for them?

No, premium ships also have a built in earning modifier that increases earnings playing them on-top of the camo reductions. So if you add a premium camo on a stock ship, it still won't earn the same credits as a premium ship sold. A stock tech tree ship doesn't have that extra earning modifier built in like premium ships have

• Cool 1

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
7 hours ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

So a ship purchased with coal with not be as profitable as exactly the same ship purchased with money?

It's actually a good question that. Because ships like Jean Bart which can be bought for coal, is also for sale as a premium ship in the online shop for cash. So would have thought Jean Bart is a proper premium, even when bought for coal (but unsure about that).

But you also have some T9 ships that can be bought for coal, but are not listed in the shop for sale using cash payment. Don't think those ships you can buy for coal (but not cash). Don't think they are proper premium earners, simply because they cannot be bought as premium ships for cash as well from the online shop. I think those ships you can only get using coal are classed as "Special Ships" and don't earn as much as those ships that can be bought using coal or cash purchased from the online shop.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,894 posts
10,520 battles

Premium camos for silver line ships,

are basically expensive dresses you buy to your waifu,

except tier 10.

Tier 10 Premium camos are basically developed for people who don't want to play anything other than high tiers without thinking credits.

If you have a premium acc and a tier 10 prem camo, you'll almost never lose credits on a battle. so you can keep playing tier 10 after tier 10.

Thats the way how economy works in the game, you either populate the mid tiers, or you finance WG. your pick.

Other tier prem camos, just don't buy them. Maybe 1 or 2 for the most loved ships of yours.

• Cool 1

Players
125 posts
5,425 battles
On 2/21/2020 at 10:00 AM, Excavatus said:

Other tier prem camos, just don't buy them. Maybe 1 or 2 for the most loved ships of yours.

But why? Don't the stats do what they say they do?

[CATS]
Players
26,719 posts
14,317 battles
12 minutes ago, PsychoClownfish said:

But why? Don't the stats do what they say they do?

They are just not worth the money.

Their effect is small and there is a good chance you will not play the ship very often.

• Cool 2

Players
1,683 posts
14,767 battles

I bought some permacamos back in the day, when I was still new enough to not be fully acquainted with WG's practices. I stopped buying them, they're not worth it. It's easy enough to at least not lose money in t10 even without the camo, and buying 5k doubloon camos for ships WG can (and does) nerf at any point is a bad investment. Tech tree ships are subject to constant nerfs, and WG usually isn't that gentle about it (unless the ship is russian, Kremlin perma might be an ok investment).

As for lower tier permacamos, when you compare price vs. what they actually do, you'll see a massive difference between t9 and below, and t10 ones. Anything below t9 is a waste of money - only get them if you really like that ship and really like the look of the camo on it, and just want a vanity item. Otherwise, just stay away.

In general I try not to get too attached to my tech tree ships in any way due to the constant direct or indirect nerfs and meta changes. It's premiums and reward ships that will give you more mileage, and those come with permacamos anyway.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
On 2/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Not sure why you can't see the breakdowns in 'Exterior' between permanent camo and those you can win or buy so this seems like a dumb question. But permanent camo is rarely, if ever, as 'profitable' as a bonus/bought camo (unless tier X) even if it comes as standard on a Premium ship. And of course it doesn't make the ship 'Premium' to use a permanent camo because you don't get any other other multipliers attached to a Premium ship such as improved Captain XP in being able to switch him between his main ship and the Premium ship.

Sign in to follow this