You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zone

Imperial/metric option removed.

15 comments in this topic

Players
9 posts

Hi, I was just looking to change from metric back to imperial but you seem to have removed that option, is there a reason why you have done this or did you just miss this option. Could you please put it back, I am sure many people would prefer to use imperial rather than metric. Just a simple problem and not to difficult to fix as this option is in your other games and have always been there since beta. 

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,772 posts
8,898 battles

There was never such an option in the vanilla game client. Hence you cannot find it. 

But there was a mod that changed the ingame units. Maybe you didn't updated this mod with the new patch and that is why you did not have that option. 

Players
9 posts

I did try a mod years ago but just use the basic game now, but I am sure it was. I remember setting it in the beta and was very happy to see it there. If it is not there now it should be put in, prefer seeing mph as I understand that system much better than metric. I am an old fart used to the imperial system, it is in the other games why not in WoWS?

[BUSS]
Players
18 posts
11,099 battles

Knots are nautical miles per hour.

The name perhaps is equal, but it has nothing to do with imperial system.

If you were referring to nautical miles, then I apologise. This doesn't bother me personally.

Nautical mile is one second of a degree of latitude. It is 1852 metres. It (used to) provides some advantages calculating routes for ships sailing the oceans.

The imperial mile is 1609 metres. Forget about this one, for obvious reasons.

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,819 battles

Let's face it the only thing that using imperial units for would remotely make sense are the gun calibers.
But even then you need to round or break into decimals on the 460s, 380s, 410s ect.

Not to mention cases where the name would cause confusion as on the British QF 4.5'' Mk I (which in fact were 4.45'')
And let's not even get started on armor values. I have no interest in having to calculate penetration or overmatch on 1 17/64'' plating.

[KITEN]
Players
284 posts
14,011 battles
18 hours ago, rnat said:

And let's not even get started on armor values. I have no interest in having to calculate penetration or overmatch on 1 17/64'' plating.

If it was an option you wouldnt have to... it would be... well... 'optional'. :Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,819 battles
14 minutes ago, JohnMac79 said:

If it was an option you wouldnt have to... it would be... well... 'optional'. :Smile_ohmy:

Nah, I'm gonna be mean here and say that if it doesn't strictly make more sense to use imperial units leave them out entirely.

It's not like the metric system is hard and makes much more sense than a system that has little merit besides existing for a long time.

On the other hand... could I ask for the option to display gun-calibers in GeV-1 please ?

If you favor imperial units that much there is (or at least there has been for ages) a mod that converts gun calibers into inch-values.
Installing shouldn't cost you more than a minute or two.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KITEN]
Players
284 posts
14,011 battles
1 hour ago, rnat said:

Nah, I'm gonna be mean here and say that if it doesn't strictly make more sense to use imperial units leave them out entirely.

It's not like the metric system is hard and makes much more sense than a system that has little merit besides existing for a long time.

On the other hand... could I ask for the option to display gun-calibers in GeV-1 please ?

If you favor imperial units that much there is (or at least there has been for ages) a mod that converts gun calibers into inch-values.

Im not particularly bothered, i was just saying if it was an option you wouldnt need to use it. Nothing more.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,819 battles
13 minutes ago, JohnMac79 said:

Im not particularly bothered, i was just saying if it was an option you wouldnt need to use it. Nothing more.

My main argument is that it's not an option which is available unless it makes a lot of sense (i.e. almost every value was in imperial units to start with) because it fundamentally is not a system that should be perpetuated.

• Boring 1

[BAD-A]
Players
641 posts
9,076 battles
On 2/17/2020 at 6:40 PM, Drenkeling said:

Knots are nautical miles per hour.

The name perhaps is equal, but it has nothing to do with imperial system.

Yes, I know :)  You also used to measure them with a knotted rope and the ship's log ;)

Also a nautical mile was definitely not metric - it may be defined in terms of meters now.  But hey, it's only a game, and an arcade game at that, so *shrug* just would be nice from a purely historical/fluff point of view to use proper nautical measurements.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
729 posts

The two biggest navies in the world during the time period depicted (RN and USN) used Imperial measurements. As a matter of historical accuracy, it should be an option.

• Cool 1

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
5,955 posts
1,929 battles

I don't remember ever having such a feature in WoWs (might have been before my time in very early alpha, but I don't think so either), so as already assumed by others my guess is that it was indeed a mod you had for that.

We do not have any plans for that right now.

Players
9 posts

I think you may be right there, I just seem to notice a kph somewhere, my brain tends to only work in mph so I started to look for the option to change it. As I could not find this option this in WoWS I then looked at the other games and there it was the option to change to mph, so I posted on here. Working out penetration just scares me, I had the misfortune of being taught both at school, then when I started as a welder had to use imperial. So you see my problem, I have no problem using metric just would have like to see the same option used as in wargaming's other titles. I never thought this thread would be this long but has been enjoyable following it. Thankyou guys for all of your brain power on this subject. I have been playing warships since early beta by the way tend not to follow forums but will pop back again and possibly post something else if need be.

Edited by Zone
forgot to add this.

Players
9 posts
On 2/18/2020 at 9:59 PM, NobleSauvage said:

The two biggest navies in the world during the time period depicted (RN and USN) used Imperial measurements. As a matter of historical accuracy, it should be an option.

My point exactly.

[KITEN]
Players
284 posts
14,011 battles
On 2/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, rnat said:

My main argument is that it's not an option which is available unless it makes a lot of sense (i.e. almost every value was in imperial units to start with) because it fundamentally is not a system that should be perpetuated.

Since when does WG decisions ever make sense? Nothing in this game has made sense for about 2 years! :Smile-_tongue:

On 2/18/2020 at 4:26 PM, rnat said:

If someone has made a mod for it then surely it cannot be difficult to implement into the game as a simple option?

• Cool 1