Sign in to follow this  
Tatsfield

Aiming for Secondary Guns on BBs

10 comments in this topic

[LEAKS]
Players
225 posts
9,371 battles

I'm not a newcomer, I just play like one! 

I have selected the 4 point commander skill option of aiming secondary guns rather than leave them fire automatically.  So having done it I now have to consider two questions that I ought to have asked before I did!

1.  How do I aim and fire the guns?  Is it with the same sight reticule as the main armament and do I actually have to pull a trigger on therm and if so is it the same as the main armament?

2.  If I am too busy to aim them, do they have any automatic fire capability?  I have had my onboard robot secondary gunnery officer kill DDs that I couldn't bring to bear with main armament.  Will I now lose this capability?

I thought that if the skill cost 4 points it would be worth having, but now I'm worried that what it gains on the swings, it'll lose on the roundabouts.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,107 posts
8,591 battles

Manual secondarys means you sacrifice the "free fire" ability of your secondaries on anything within their range. Now you have to manually select your targets by pressing ALT and then clicking your target, and then the AI will do the rest.

[LEAKS]
Players
225 posts
9,371 battles

Thanks.  That's what I needed to know.  Let's see if these 4 points spend on the commander are going to be a worthwhile investment.

Players
1,421 posts
8,457 battles

Actually what that skill does is just make secondaries more acurrate. Only 15% for tier 2 to 6 and 70% from tier 7 to 10. However they will only fire to the target you select.

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,788 battles
6 hours ago, ollonborre said:

by pressing ALT and then clicking your target

Unless you have changed the default keys you should hold CTRL (default key to bring up the mouse-cursor)

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles
15 hours ago, Tatsfield said:

Let's see if these 4 points spend on the commander are going to be a worthwhile investment.

Secondaries are 90% of the cases not worth investing into unless you consistently throw yourself at nearest enemy with "noob team" coming shortly after in chat. Can they be fun? Yes. Are secondaries reliable and viable source of damage? Not really.

• Cool 1

[LEAKS]
Players
225 posts
9,371 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Secondaries are 90% of the cases not worth investing into unless you consistently throw yourself at nearest enemy with "noob team" coming shortly after in chat. Can they be fun? Yes. Are secondaries reliable and viable source of damage? Not really.

Ouch.  If your right I would need to reallocate the skills for my 19 pointer which is a pain.

Can anyone confirm, is the operating key for aimed secondaries Ctrl or Alt?   I have to give them a go before considering whether my opting for them was sensible.  Does the "aimed" selection work like the "priority" anti aircraft crew selection on the O key or do you have to lock the aiming reticule on the chosen target?

Oh, and I do rather get carried away with shooting longer ranges and end up with a DD or two getting close and personal without me noticing!  It's a good thing that I enjoy this game, win or lose, or I'd spend most of my time crying. :Smile_facepalm:

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles
1 minute ago, Tatsfield said:

Ouch.  If your right I would need to reallocate the skills for my 19 pointer which is a pain.

Can anyone confirm, is the operating key for aimed secondaries Ctrl or Alt?   I have to give them a go before considering whether my opting for them was sensible.  Does the "aimed" selection work like the "priority" anti aircraft crew selection on the O key or do you have to lock the aiming reticule on the chosen target?

Oh, and I do rather get carried away with shooting longer ranges and end up with a DD or two getting close and personal without me noticing!  It's a good thing that I enjoy this game, win or lose, or I'd spend most of my time crying. :Smile_facepalm:

With Ctrl key you unlock cursor, with, among other things, you literally click onto enemy ships for secondaries to fire at, with "Manual Secondaries" cpt skill. Its up to you to make sure selected ship is within secondary range and firing arc, otherwise they will remain silent.

And only "secondary" ship that can be considered an actual threat to overhorny destroyers would be USN "premium secondary line" of Massachusetts, Georgia and Ohio. As well premium German CV Graf Zeppelin. On other ships, even German BBs, secondaries are too inaccurate and overall ineffective as "deterrent" against destroyers. And then you need DD that is spotted and within secondary gun range to begin with. And if DD is within secondary range, it also mean you're probably within torpedo range as well.

Only case where secondary oriented build is consistently effective is tier 7 BB in Narai Operation... Operation that was just removed from game:cap_cool:

[LEAKS]
Players
225 posts
9,371 battles

you literally click onto enemy ships for secondaries to fire at

Is that the actual ship in both ordinary and binocular view or is that the ship's icon on the map display?

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles
29 minutes ago, Tatsfield said:

Is that the actual ship in both ordinary and binocular view or is that the ship's icon on the map display?

You click on ship itself, cursor IIRC changes a bit to indicate game "understands" you want to select secondary target

Sign in to follow this