You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HassenderZerhacker

What do former WoT players think of WoWs?

52 comments in this topic

Players
875 posts
3,425 battles

I stopped playing WoT because a number of reasons, mainly because WG takes the game into a direction I don't like.

here is what I think about WoWs so far in comparison to WoT:

better than WoT:

- no gold ammo. good.

- ship grinding seems easier than tank grinding

- WoT "reserves" are really badly implemented. Signals and camos for one battle are much better.

as bad as WoT:

- unbalanced teams and losing streaks, roflstomps

- bottom tier MM, although it's a bit better than WoT

- tier bias: there seems to be a tier bias in penetration values. why on earth should 400mm guns on tier 9 have more pen than on tier 7 ?

- RNG. seems WG cannot do without including unfairness in its RNG. how come there is so often in WoWs that one stray shell that will hit your ship? it's the same as in WoT when the server decides a shot will be a pen.

worse than WoT:

- CV in tiers 3 to 5. horrible.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[NMA]
Players
1,273 posts
18,916 battles

I played over 25k games in WOT before I made a switch back in 2017.

I like that grind is not that heavy, you progress much quicker in wows. Also wows is much more rewarding. I'm sitting on tons of flags, camos, credits, etc... While in WOT I was always struggling with almost every resource. Also, wows has no premium ammo (yet!) and a tier 8 ship, for example, can most definitively hurt a tier 10 ship. Unlike WOT, you are not fooked if you are bottom tier.

What I don't like about WOWS is that is slowly turning into WOT. :Smile_sad:

• Cool 10

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
255 posts
4,482 battles

Played 50k unicum games in WoT, switched when WG reset/restored my WoT account because they are too dumb, distinguishing a WoWs ticket with multiple mentions of World of Warships from a WoT one. As an apology I got 3 bonuscodes for personal reserves, only one of them was working. Now my account is bugged, displaying no values on 95% of my tanks, but only the battle count. What to play for than E-PeePee, when you have unlocked everything, including every reward tank.

/rant

Better than WoT:

- Battles are mostly 12v12, not 15v15. More personal influence on a positive and negative level.

- Way better economy, grinding is much easier, be it XP, Free-XP or credits.

- Specialized class features and roles, way less hybrids crossing the lines of classes.

- Reasonable crew/captain grind, 19p captain is done relatively quickly, try getting a 8 or 9 skill crew in WoT.

- Transfering crew between premium ships has no class penalties, easier grind, more worth per premium ship.

- Game is much slower and feels more tactical, teamplay is needed and encouraged by class differences.

- Daily rewards, personal campaigns and coal/steel system. Non-existent or beyond RNG-madness in WoT.

- Community is way less toxic and aggressive.

- OP's and Co-Op if you just want to play.

- Official weeb stuff

- Honking

As bad as WoT:

- The playerbase seems generally on the same level of missing basic human understanding.

- WG's greed for your money

- Russian BIA's on regular ships/vehicles but especially bad on rewards.

- Teambalance and Roflstomps are still happening on the same level of frustration.

- CV's or arty, pick your poison. Too much influence on one, too much annoyance and personal player harassment on the other.

Worse than WoT:

- Learning the game is made beyond difficult, thanks to triple CV in lowtiers and being bad/out of place in higher tiers.

- Much less players, resulting in strange matchups, long loading times, low clan population and competitive scene.

- Game is slowly becoming more and more like WoT.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Beta Tester
713 posts

worse than wot:

progress through tiers is far too fast and forgiving ...now we have at t10 dudes with ~300 battle and 38% wr who paddle around and dont have any idea what to do

sales of t9 and t10 premiums

t9 and t10 economy is far too forgiving

• Cool 5
  • Bad 3

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,615 posts
24,069 battles

i think i disagree on the perspective. 1st off, rng is a big part of naval gunnery and as thus represented in the game. with a scaling up, so actually one does hit way more often already than it would be possible in any sim/reality (*like arcade should be).

next is the mm, in which at least myself always embraced being lowtier. it's not a big deal, except for some exceptions. even more one can earn best on such occasions. in that regard, i do like playing t8 the most...

last to me is the perspective itself, wot to wows. i'd like to rather flip it the other way round:

1st weegee title for me is wows on release. shortly after i tried wot once... for about 3 mins... recently i did install it again, alongside with wowp. while wowp, especially on low tiers, turned out to be good and quick fun for inbetween wot did disappoint all along!

tried to get into it as a total newb and got wrecked short and hard a few times. never touched it again ever since.

all in all, from my pov, wot is the worst off the 3's by far. at least for newbies. wowp can be great fun indeed, but with bots filled queues and a clear element of p2w rather for some pewpew inbetween. wows kinda beats the other 2 on each level. and, besides a lot of things in here not necessarily turning for the better, i can't see yet that this will change somehow.

2cts

• Cool 2

Players
2,859 posts
19,189 battles

I stopped playing WOT after 3 years because WG cant help ruining their own game. I stopped playing WOWS because WG cant help ruining their own game.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 4

Players
875 posts
3,425 battles
56 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I stopped playing WOT after 3 years because WG cant help ruining their own game. I stopped playing WOWS because WG cant help ruining their own game.

still posting though?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Players
7,099 posts
245 battles
4 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

still posting though?

Nothing wrong with that.

Either way nova’s post pretty sums up everything, including my own tastes on how some of my fav tanks are now either obsolete, powercrept or useless compared to their peers half the time.

Not too mention the major balance overhauls that shifted the game from one extreme (TD double bush camping and lock downs to super heavy armour boogaloo and moba 3 lane maps.) to the other.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
713 posts

12 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Either way nova’s post pretty sums up everything, including my own tastes on how some of my fav tanks are now either obsolete, powercrept or useless compared to their peers half the time.

Not too mention the major balance overhauls that shifted the game from one extreme (TD double bush camping and lock downs to super heavy armour boogaloo and moba 3 lane maps.) to the other.

yeah, he/she is a sure source of wisdom with his/her 800 cv battles .... much wisdom

• Bad 2

Players
5,977 posts
11,541 battles
4 hours ago, quickr said:

I played over 25k games in WOT before I made a switch back in 2017.

I like that grind is not that heavy, you progress much quicker in wows. Also wows is much more rewarding. I'm sitting on tons of flags, camos, credits, etc... While in WOT I was always struggling with almost every resource. Also, wows has no premium ammo (yet!) and a tier 8 ship, for example, can most definitively hurt a tier 10 ship. Unlike WOT, you are not fooked if you are bottom tier.

What I don't like about WOWS is that is slowly turning into WOT. :Smile_sad:

^This

• Cool 2

Players
5,977 posts
11,541 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

I can definitely see where you're coming from here. WoT had a lot of potential but apparently WG mostly looked at its potential to monetisation or something. And last few times I tried it again (mostly to collect some rewards due to my account being quite old by todays standards) I would have fun initially despite me being rusty as Bismarck is now, but within a couple hours things would turn sour till I couldn't stand it anymore. Last time I quite literally rage-uninstalled WoT.

World Of Tears yes.

Players
5,977 posts
11,541 battles
45 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Nothing wrong with that.

Double bush camping with a TD hasn't been a thing in WoT for a lot of years now.

Neverforget the magical forest! Smile_bush.gifSmile-izmena.gifSmile-izmena.gifSmile-izmena.gifSmile-izmena.gifSmile_trollface-3.gif

:Smile-_tongue:

Players
5,977 posts
11,541 battles

Btw, would be interesting to see what WoT players currently think of WoWS.

Gonna get mostly 'minireviews' of people preferring WoWS over WoT due to this question being posted here.

• Cool 1

Players
1,249 posts
9,418 battles

With the caveat that Tanks is the WG  title I've played the least (Warships most, then Warplanes, then Tanks), IMO Warships is clearly the best game as far as the BIG picture of interesting tactics, interplay between classes, and fair economy.

If you take a step back, the stuff people complain about in Warships is small -- CV's don't fit the game in specific tiers, some events are unfair, etc. Generally I regard this game as an overarching success and to generally to be in the best shape ever now.

Bubbling under is Warplanes which I regard today as a fine game, but unfortunately it never really took off. Fun, casual action, and an INCREDIBLY relaxed F2P economy -- x3 first win every weekend, and x5 if it's the dev's cat's birthday or something, and you get free premium planes from daily missions etc. very easily.

• Cool 3

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles

I think the biggest difference between WoT and WoWS (As a former WoT player, I played it since 2012., stopped around this time last year) is the fact that you can always do something to fight back. You can always do something, even as bottom tier. In WoT you face a....idk...defender or obj. 257 in an IS or Tiger I you're screwed, done for, zero. You can't fight back. Then the bullshittery that is their preferential mm premium tanks that cost money and have such ridiculous penetration on their shells that it's sickening (e.g. IS-6 and 112 having 186 on their standard shells, and 226/250 on their gold shells, respectively) and have to face tanks such as defenders, obj. 257s, Type 4 Heavys..........

In wows, you can ALWAYS do something, you can ALWAYS fight back, there is no guarantee someone is going to roflstomp you (but only if you have like the minimum amount of common sense of course, you can't expect to rush into enemy spawn and take on all of them - then sure you will die). But in general, like 1 to 1, even if you're bottom tier you can still take on and beat 2 tier higher ship, you have a pretty high chance of doing so, but it takes skill. Also no gold ammo, no press 2 to win, you have either AP that takes actual skill to use, and HE(that doesn't, but hell, you use it when your AP are ineffective), or you have torpedoes......

All in all, in my personal experience WoWS is out of the WoT's league, how much it is better. And everyone complaining about crap in WoWS, I think they don't know what real unfairness and bias is. Until you've had to face an obj 705 A in a fuc:etc_swear:in Tiger II you don't know what russian bias is.:Smile_coin:

• Cool 3

[SKRUB]
Players
550 posts
21,193 battles

I prefer spot mechanic in wows and it's such a huge factor for me, than i mostly play wows right now. 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,599 posts
13,889 battles

I have something like 10K battles in WOT, across NA and EU, with the bulk on NA; I also haven't really played seriously since Xmas 2018, apart from an occasional run-out (usually in the huge three-map mode - whatever that's called; I'm having a mental block).

Some (highly subjective) comparisons:

• WOWS has (had, given the probably imminent death of Ops) infinitely better PvE content, making it the game to reach for when you aren't able to cope with playing against real people.
  • WOT is far more about fast reflexes, and has far more instantaneous gameplay than WOWS; which is better is a matter of personal taste and energy levels. Basically, stuff happens a *lot* faster in WOT.
  • WOWS doesn't have gold ammo; whilst I'm not a rabid anti-gold person in WOT (mainly because it's actually bought for silver these days, which anyone can get), I do prefer the WOWS approach, which leads on to:
  • The differences between tiers, specifically with regard to lower tiers being able to do useful things against higher tiers, are definitely much better in WOWS; I think a lot of it is to do with the more open maps in WOWS - it's a lot less impractical to fight - say - T6 against a T8 in WOWS because you have a lot more room to manouevre, as opposed to the situation in WOT, where almost all the maps are essentially designed to force you to brawl (anyone want to guess what the vast majority of Russian tanks are best at?).
  • The WOWS captain skills thing is probably easier to work with than the WOT equivalent, although I find the WOT approach a lot more interesting as there is much greater variety possible (it also reflects the fact that the crew in a two-man vehicle is going to need to compromise more than that in a five-man vehicle, in terms of skills/workload) e.g. cammo derived from the captain in WOWS has two settings, on or off, while that in WOT has off, plus all the permutations of crew numbers and levels of development in each (WOT does also have some perks which are on/off too).
  • I find the WOWS approach to development/grinding to be less wearisome - WOT is a lot more grindy. The WOWS economy is a lot more forgiving too, especially with permaflage at T9-10; this doesn't exist in WOT (or didn't when I last looked), which makes T9-10 largely a cost sink, unless you're very good. I prefer the WOWS approach dramatically, but I can see that it doesn't discourage high tier potatoing (not that I see any less of it in WOT).
  • I'm a year out of date on MM, but I think that the MM in WOWS is superior, although a lot of that feeds back to the thing about the differences between the tiers being less drastic than in WOT.
  • Cool 3

Players
2,859 posts
19,189 battles
7 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

still posting though?

Yeah, still. And I do play a few odd battles every now and then, but as soon as I get abusive language thrown at me in game by my team while ending up 1st on that same team I feel sad and close the game again. My flame has almost died to a shimmer :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 2

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

I came to WOWS from playing WOT for a few years first.

1: True that grinding out tech trees in WOWS is a bit easier than WOT

2: WOT though for me runs better, it's less graphic intensive than  WOWS. But that's to be expected really because of the Sea effects (waves, etc) asking for more graphic power.

3: Not sure which I'd say is the most fun out the two games. I'd say about the same maybe, or WOT just edges out WOWS for fun because it's a faster paced game in tanks compared to sailing slow ships

I only jumped to WOWS from WOT because I'd got bored with playing WOT on and off for about 3 years

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,676 battles
11 godzin temu, Nov_A napisał:

- Official weeb stuff

- Honking

Should be on top of the list :fish_cute_2:

• Funny 3

Players
3,324 posts
14 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I stopped playing WoT because a number of reasons, mainly because WG takes the game into a direction I don't like.

here is what I think about WoWs so far in comparison to WoT:

better than WoT:

- no gold ammo. good.

- ship grinding seems easier than tank grinding

- WoT "reserves" are really badly implemented. Signals and camos for one battle are much better.

as bad as WoT:

- unbalanced teams and losing streaks, roflstomps

- bottom tier MM, although it's a bit better than WoT

- tier bias: there seems to be a tier bias in penetration values. why on earth should 400mm guns on tier 9 have more pen than on tier 7 ?

- RNG. seems WG cannot do without including unfairness in its RNG. how come there is so often in WoWs that one stray shell that will hit your ship? it's the same as in WoT when the server decides a shot will be a pen.

worse than WoT:

- CV in tiers 3 to 5. horrible.

Totally utterly far better game in every way,and if you think WoW's is bad for those who have never been to WoT's,don't go there,your sanity will implode

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,870 posts
12,352 battles

I was in the closed beta of WoT and was briefly a supertester on the EU server (there were leaks from the RU server which resulted in WG limiting their exposure by only allowing supertesters on the RU server - I'm sure there is some logic to that but it eludes me).

I wasn't happy with the gold ammo as it reduced the effect of armour - the old "press '2' for skill"...

What got me in the end was the endless trolling and team damage.  The toxicity of the player base was something else.  

An M6 on our team decides that the thing to do is continually shoot my TOG II.  I did the right thing by not shooting back until they turned blue (even though I wanted to)

Spoiler

Two light tanks on our team decide it's best to shoot a heavy rather than play a battle - I did retaliate i this one though.

Spoiler

Our top tier IS-3 decides to shoot and troll a French TD (I did swear at them for heading to the back of the map).

Spoiler

I've been playing WoWS since the beta.  There are times that I've had to take a break from the game as there always seems to be missions to grind and sometimes that needs a 'breather' from.

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,160 posts
10,740 battles

I tried WOT once and did some bootcamp , then I uninstalled.

Lately I'm seeing some Claus Kellerman's videos.

And I installed the game again.

Now is happening the same as happened with WoWs back in the day but instead of being stuck in t1 forever, in WOT I can't even start a battle.

the game keep telling me to pick a tank I click on it nothing happens.

The UI is not intuitive.

How can I start a freaking battle?

How can I make I am died button to work?

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

i do not have a direct comparison between the two games, because i quit playing wot long before i started wows.

i liked playing wot in the start when it was more slow and tactical game play.

but over time it became less and less "world of tanks" but instead more and more "world of race cars with machine guns" which i disliked so i quit.

hopefully wows is not taking the same route of ultra fast action 3 minute matches game.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1