cygx1_2020

Newb questions - fps, servers, accounts, game crashes, etc

8 comments in this topic

Question

Players
5 posts
129 battles

Hi folks, my 1st post here :Smile_Default: although I have posted on NA forums

(I started playing on NA server but now I'm more on EU... as I'm technically part of EMEA thought I should move my discussions over to here)

I'm still finding my way around basics of the game at this point( feeling fractionally more at ease now after a few battles and Levels/Tier experience ) and have been doing a lot of reading esp the wiki/guides/etc

Here is the original thread link I posted on NA forum for ref where I got some good advice/response to my initial q's >

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/210729-newb-questions-fps-servers-accounts-game-crashes-etc/

However this morning I'm faced with a dilemma:

My hardware setup is :  Lenovo T420(i5-2520M @2.50GHZ , 2 core, 4 logical ) w/ 6GB RAM/500 WD Blue SSD/Intel HD 3000

OK seriously annoying ( yes I know my gaming gfx specs are tier 0.1 )  BUT

I get kicked out of game regularly ( either from port or worse during battles due to continual gfx shader display errors at random )
This morning it happened twice in 2 subsequent battles when switching view from bino to normal using SHIFT!

e.g crash error 

Application E:/Games/World_of_Warships_EU/bin64/WorldOfWarships64.exe crashed 02.07.2020 at 07:43:08

ManagedEffect::createEffect: Error creating effect for 'shaders/std_effects/PBS_ship.fx' (reason = The data is invalid. )

I started 2 battles this morning and after a min or 2 just I was approaching enemy ready to let rip with Charlestons guns..wham..got booted from game.
Each time I restarted the screen just froze and wouldn't let me return into battle.

So in summary ( besides being blown apart whilst I wasn't in game and a sitting duck ) is the system aware you crashed and didn't just leave the game?
Do you get penalised anyway from the point you exited game in that your ship remains in same direction/speed without possibilty of firing or defending herself except for secondaries?

7 answers to this question

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,232 posts
14,563 battles
2 hours ago, cygx1_2020 said:

So in summary ( besides being blown apart whilst I wasn't in game and a sitting duck ) is the system aware you crashed and didn't just leave the game?

It does not matter and yes, system does not care about it: Problems like Power-Outage, PC-Crash, Provider-Outage or even Client-Crash are the same als ALT+F4 and do happen on your side and you leave the battle and your teammates have to fight without you therefore you get penalized. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,184 posts
15,401 battles

cygx, no the system is not aware of the difference between your pc crashing and you just leaving battle, so eventually you'll get penalised for it, these includes turning pink, getting reduced xp and credits, and eventually turning orange where you can only play co-op (and maybe scenarios), i'm not sure if there is the further step of a ban/suspension for further infringments.

• Cool 1

Players
5 posts
129 battles

Thanks both for confirming my suspicions.

So there is ( (annoyingly) no intelligence built into client-server side to ascertain whether a exit from game is a genuine game fault/crash as opposed to player initiated exit , leads to my next question:

Besides the usual recommendation of setting the major gfx renderings to  low as possible to minimise effect on gameplay, which settings (documented or not) in particular effect shader functionality that one can control ?

TIA

Players
4,046 posts
1 hour ago, cygx1_2020 said:

So there is ( (annoyingly) no intelligence built into client-server side to ascertain whether a exit from game is a genuine game fault/crash as opposed to player initiated exit , leads to my next question:

How would you create such a recognition system?

If I pull the plug on my network connection I get disconnected. You could call it a hardware error but it is still me intentionally leaving the battle early. If the system could recognize the difference, you create a system to circumvent punishment were it is actually necessary.

Players
5 posts
129 battles
6 hours ago, Egoleter said:

How would you create such a recognition system?

If I pull the plug on my network connection I get disconnected. You could call it a hardware error but it is still me intentionally leaving the battle early. If the system could recognize the difference, you create a system to circumvent punishment were it is actually necessary.

I never developed the game ( so have no insight into it's inner workings ) but have been involved with 3 tier client server architecture software for 20+ years.

As a start the person who pulled the cable will not be connected at all (no response from a server request)

The user who got booted ( e.g screen has just frozen) client is theoretically still connected to the servers (just doesn't respond to client side input ).

What I'm saying is, with more development ( and will of course ) at least some of the scenarios could be eliminated and players either punished or at least partly compensated instead of the current all or nothing approach....

Beta Tester, Players
1,082 posts
14,666 battles

I have a AMD FX6300, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX 750 Ti and Im playing only with wlan since years. I never got kicked out and I dont know why the people have problems with this game.

I dont have a high end PC and no full Wifi but World of Warships always works like a charm.

Players
5 posts
129 battles
24 minutes ago, Dragoner84 said:

I have a AMD FX6300, 8GB Ram, GeForce GTX 750 Ti and Im playing only with wlan since years. I never got kicked out and I dont know why the people have problems with this game.

I dont have a high end PC and no full Wifi but World of Warships always works like a charm.

https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=884&gid2=582&compare=geforce-gtx-750-vs-intel-hd-graphics-3000-desktop

We're talking gfx card not CPU capability.

In particular your card is massive improvement over my Intel 3000.

Spoiler

Shader Processing Units        512        vs        12
Actual Shader Performance    36%        vs        3%
Technology                                28nm        vs        32nm
Texture Mapping Units             32        vs        2
Texture Rate                              32.6 GTexel/s        vs    1.7 GTexel/s
Render Output Units                16        vs        2
Pixel Rate                                   16.3 GPixel/s        vs    1.7 GPixel/s