Admiral_Oily_Discharge

A question about premium commanders

8 comments in this topic

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles

Hai,

I recently started grinding IJN BBs . I was wondering if I could buy premium commander Iona for using it on my tier 5 battleship kongo  or any other tier BBs ??? Also can I further grind her for 19 skill captain , she comes with 11 skill points .

https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/wows/specials/18147/

Regards and many thanks ...

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,261 posts
14,829 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

I recently started grinding IJN BBs . I was wondering if I could buy premium commander Iona for using it on my tier 5 battleship kongo  or any other tier BBs ???

Yes, the ARP-captains are basically IJN and you can inter- or exchange captains within ARP, IJN, HSF Harekaze and AL Yudachi (and the two dragons). 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,963 posts
16,829 battles
21 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

I was wondering if I could buy premium commander Iona for using it on my tier 5 battleship kongo  or any other tier BBs ??? Also can I further grind her for 19 skill captain , she comes with 11 skill points .

You can move any commander of a given nation to any ship of that nation; the ARP captains 'count' as IJN for these purposes, so that first part is a yes.

Bear in mind that moving a captain to a non-premium ship will require retraining, which can be paid for with doubloons, or via elite captain xp. You can also pay silver (or nothing) and play said captain in premium ships lots, until you've earned the needed xp for them to be fully functional in whatever silver ship you've assigned them to.

An approach that quite a lot of people take is to move their better captain(s) up through the tiers as they move through each branch of the tech trees. Alternatively, you can have 'good enough' captains at every tier, or at least on whatever turn out to be your 'keepers'. Or, eventually, if you play a line enough, you can have actively good captains on every significant tier (I think I have 19 pointers on at least three of my IJN torp boats, mainly due to having reground the line several times for the RB).

All captains can be improved by earning experience, up to a maximum of 19 points, regardless of starting point. So, you could grind a 0-pointer all the way to 19 points if you wish, but it's a lot quicker if you start off higher up (11 points in the case you mention).

When going for your first 19 pointer, I would suggest focusing on a line/ship that you really enjoy playing; the main plus (besides being more powerful) of 19 point captains is that they generate elite xp, which can be used to advance other captains, but this is only really useful if you're happy playing that first 19 pointer a *lot*. Once you get multiple 19 point captains (each subsequent one will be acquired faster, if you play the previous ones), you can start assigning at least one or two of them to more 'niche' ships...

BTW if you haven't found it yet, there is a lot of useful info in the wiki: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

• Cool 1

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

When going for your first 19 pointer, I would suggest focusing on a line/ship that you really enjoy playing; the main plus (besides being more powerful) of 19 point captains is that they generate elite xp, which can be used to advance other captains, but this is only really useful if you're happy playing that first 19 pointer a *lot*. Once you get multiple 19 point captains (each subsequent one will be acquired faster, if you play the previous ones), you can start assigning at least one or two of them to more 'niche' ships...

Thanks for sharing this . I have a long way to go . So far 10 skill point captain sounds enough idk about higher tiers . I have just unlocked fuso . I think I better  grind other bb lines before grinding tier 7 Nagato ? What do you suggest . I dont want to hurry up to tier x too quick , Is this correct approach what did you do ?

[SM0KE]
Players
7,963 posts
16,829 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

I have a long way to go .

True. 19-pointers, especially the first, take a long time to get (I play with a chap who's been playing longer than I have and, as far as I know, he doesn't have any yet); it's helpful to have half an eye on this long-term goal though, as it can usefully inform what you're doing in the short-to-medium term.

6 minutes ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

So far 10 skill point captain sounds enough idk about higher tiers .

My feeling is that until you hit the +2 MM bracket (so, T5+), you can more or less get away with anything (unless seal-clubbing), although I never go out with less than 3 points. When you start to meet +2 tier opponents, especially when relatively inexperienced, you start to need all the help you can get; as you'll have realised, 10 points is when you can unlock the first 4-point skill - for me, this almost always means one of CE (on anything sneaky), or FP (on anything tanky), or - rarely - IFHE on anything which *really* needs it and won't be played against real people until I get to 14 points (and can take CE as well).

So, 10 points is the practical minimum (with some light cruisers calling for 14 - CE *and* IFHE), and the more points the better as you go up the tiers.

Bear in mind though that some ships need higher point captains than others, comparatively speaking e.g. a lot of heavy cruisers are fine with 10 points, as their bigger guns mean IFHE isn't necessary, in contrast with many CLs, where you really want both to be optimal.

16 minutes ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

I dont want to hurry up to tier x too quick , Is this correct approach what did you do ?

That's exactly the right thing to do; besides needing more experience as you go up the tiers, assuming you want to do reasonably well, you need your captains to vaguely keep up too, as the opponents you'll meet will most likely have good captains too.

As to what I did (am doing still):

• I migrated over from WOT, so I made many of the classic screw-ups there (e.g. my 'too high tier' premium was the IS6 when it was still good).
  • I read the key bits of the wiki, as I knew from WOT that this would be a good starting point.
  • I took too long to twig to some of the very useful YouTube content that's out there (search for iChase's Captains Academy series, for a start), which slowed me down.
  • I took too long to adjust to the change of pace, compared to WOT (and I still prefer 'faster' gameplay, which often gets me killed as I lack the necessary patience still).
  • I'm not F2P, so I used doubloons to move captains between silver ships instantly (rather than taking the time to retrain), and I bought and/or won every 10 point (or better) captain I could get my hands on. This does give a decent head-start e.g. two of my first 19-pointers were HSF captains, and - not coincidentally - they were both very useful on at least one premium ship.
  • Speaking of premium ships, I knew (from WOT again) how useful premiums can be, so I bought a few quite early - any that were ahead of where my skills were lived in Coop to start with (one or two still largely do). If you're going to get premiums, it's very helpful if they work seamlessly with your silver ship's captains; this is powerful for captain development as it means you can easily take advantage of more than one daily 'first win' bonus by winning first with the silver ship, and then again with suitable premiums.
  • Eventually, I got my first 19 point captain; after that, the second happened faster, and the effect has snowballed since then, so I now have several of the buggers.
  • Further to premium ships: I have far too many of the things; I would absolutely not advocate trying to emulate that (possibly unless you *know* you absolutely love the game, and are confident that it'll still be around far enough in the future to get your money's worth). My collecting habit is driven by a) my being an idiot and b) being too old and knackered to be able to spend money on more traditional vices. Obviously though, get any free premiums you can get your hands on (and never sell any, even the arguably pointless low tier ones).
  • I joined a clan; besides opening up the possibility of getting involved in things like Clan Battles, the economic bonuses from having a reasonably developed base really mount up over time. Using voice comms allowed me to learn stuff from clan-mates in real time, and a lot more easily than a lot of typing would allow.
  • I played as wide a range of ships as possible, so as to understand the strengths/weaknesses of as many potential opponents as possible.

That's the key stuff, although I've probably forgotten something; it's also not necessarily the 'right' way to do it, and you should also seek views from better players than me. My WR is dreadful - 48% the last time I looked - and, besides my being inherently a bit rubbish, playing a very wide range of ships does risk making you the proverbial 'master of none' (but it has kept the game interesting for me for several years now, so I'll take it). Multiple games in the same ship in succession does seem to increase the likelihood of winning, simply because you get much more familiar with how the thing plays.

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles
9 hours ago, Verblonde said:

True. 19-pointers, especially the first, take a long time to get (I play with a chap who's been playing longer than I have and, as far as I know, he doesn't have any yet); it's helpful to have half an eye on this long-term goal though, as it can usefully inform what you're doing in the short-to-medium term.

True , even many of my frens are on roughly 4k battles so far and still don't have a 19pt captain. That's mostly because they  play several lines at once. Btw do you know how to get dragon flags ? I dont think they are available on premium shop?

9 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Bear in mind though that some ships need higher point captains than others, comparatively speaking e.g. a lot of heavy cruisers are fine with 10 points, as their bigger guns mean IFHE isn't necessary, in contrast with many CLs, where you really want both to be optimal.

Before downloading wows , I played a couple of randoms with tier 7 cruisers on my frens wows account . Wew ,I found cruisers too be absolutely hopless sh1t , every mistakes gets punished you have to never make mistakes when playing cruisers. I will be honest , for me  cruisers are simply not worth it. Being outranged, outgunned and outarmored while taking forever to reload without any means to effectively fire back and steer away is not fun at all. However I might be wrong but we all are individuals and what works for one might not be the case for all .

10 hours ago, Verblonde said:

That's the key stuff, although I've probably forgotten something; it's also not necessarily the 'right' way to do it, and you should also seek views from better players than me. My WR is dreadful - 48% the last time I looked - and, besides my being inherently a bit rubbish, playing a very wide range of ships does risk making you the proverbial 'master of none' (but it has kept the game interesting for me for several years now, so I'll take it). Multiple games in the same ship in succession does seem to increase the likelihood of winning, simply because you get much more familiar with how the thing plays.

Great analysis. I think a lot of the points are really spot on. As for the winrate I guess it is possible  your average damage is garbage, but my win rate is unicum.I might be wrong here . See one can do decent damage every game, but if the enemy DDs survive and cap and yours don't, you're still gonna lose, because DDs win games and caps win games. Killing the enemy BBs doesn't do crap early game if the enemy DDs have total free reign late game. I am personally learning to focus the objectives and priority targets, not damage. As you play the game more, it's very easy to focus on kills and damage as obvious metrics, and fall into the trap of "I did 100k damage, why did we lose!", before realizing it's about doing the right damage, to the right targets, at the right time I had a game last night where our team was in a good position, 2 caps up with points advantage, all we had to do was generate points and wait for the enemy to push – but we all know what people do in those circumstances. Our Dallas decides to push up to a spot where he is 100% going to die because he “wanted to get into the game and do damage”. He instead is out of the game and puts the win in jeopardy for no good reason. Seems like noob players always imagine ways how they can succeed. That leads to all sorts of suicidal plays  kek . Cheers :)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,963 posts
16,829 battles
10 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

Btw do you know how to get dragon flags ?

It's usually missions, or containers, if you want them free; some of the premium containers (for money, and usually involving at least some element of gambling) contain them too. Keep an eye out for missions that do award them - they can be worth prioritsing; also, keep your dragon flags until you have a specific objective and/or can maximise the return on them (so, don't use them in Coop, for example).

10 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

Wew ,I found cruisers too be absolutely hopless sh1t

Cruisers aren't hopeless, but they do have quite a high skill floor, especially as you start to face more serious opposition (I got my Chapy one-shotted from full health last night - bow on - by a Russian BB, when I messed up). The approach I took, for what it's worth, was to get marginally less bad in other classes, to get the hang of things like gunnery, hydro/radar, how/when to hide etc. before starting to take more of an interest in cruisers again. They are hard though, so there is every chance that a player of my standard will never be actually good in most (all?) of them.

Some cruisers are more forgiving than others too, so it's sensible to start with them e.g. I have a soft spot for the IJN line as they have a nice balance between fairly straightforward guns (decent HE for angled opponents, and DDs) and torps with a decent reach; their armour isn't entirely hopeless, by cruiser standards, although you can still - obviously - get blapped easily by any fat lads in the vicinity. If you go that route, they have some nice premiums too, for captain training (the freebie T7 from the final ARP mission is pretty decent - get it if you can).

BTW if you started off at T7, then it's not surprising you got blapped; as with all the other classes, it's best to learn the basics at lower tiers and move up from there, which adds the various different elements in sequence (e.g. at T7 you have guns, torps, CVs, hydro, and radar to cope with suddenly and all at once).

11 hours ago, Admiral_Oily_Discharge said:

while taking forever to reload

<butler voice> Might I suggest sir considers light cruisers, especially many of the US ones - the volume of fire some of those can dispense is positively indecent; they do tend to be fragile though, so emphatically not easy mode.</butler voice>

BTW a case can be made for getting ridiculous volumes of fire ships *after* learning to shoot straight: some ships chuck out so many shells in quick succession that it isn't always easy to see exactly where they're going, and correct your aim accordingly.

• Cool 2