BarskiPatzow

British BBs Good?

48 comments in this topic

Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
105 posts
2,142 battles

Hi guys, I have started playing the British BB line recently and I'm at QE at the moment and I am in love with the ship. I like the flexibility of the ammo she has, and she feels pretty nimble. I don't like the turret rotation speed,

but since I don't brawl with the ship, that doesn't bother me too much.

My question is: How does the rest of the line fare in regards to the play style? Does it change to something else, or is the QE a good representation what the rest of the line is?

• Cool 1

Players
1,036 posts
26,362 battles

I play QE with nearly only AP (HE only if i can not overmatch. The rest of the line, with more HE shells. From T9 on, the Brits are getting Superheal or as i call it the "print a new ship button". 

I still think, britsh BBs are not a good BB design. Too much fires, somtimes absurd High Alpha with HE. Monarch ist the weakest of them i think. 

[NEXT]
Players
33,117 posts
16,640 battles
1 hour ago, BarskiPatzow said:

Hi guys, I have started playing the British BB line recently and I'm at QE at the moment and I am in love with the ship. I like the flexibility of the ammo she has, and she feels pretty nimble. I don't like the turret rotation speed,

but since I don't brawl with the ship, that doesn't bother me too much.

My question is: How does the rest of the line fare in regards to the play style? Does it change to something else, or is the QE a good representation what the rest of the line is?

The Tier VII to IX are ok, but not good. Conqueror started to perform very well recently, probably because she works well vs RU BB.

Players
8,474 posts
9,441 battles

QE is basically the first of the upper half of RN BBs. It has some of the typical traits, though also two atypical ones.

Typical for RN BB:

• All or nothing armour. You eat all the HE pens and get overmatched easily. Unlike Iron Duke and others, you don't have reinforced plating except for the main belt. In this regard, all subsequent BBs in line will be like this.

Atypical:

• Actual accuracy. All subsequent BBs will have mediocre accuracy, not QE's good accuracy.
  • AP performance. Apart from Monarch, everything after the QE will be mainly loading HE, because the AP is basically just not very useful most of the time, unless someone really asks for it.

KGV has smaller guns, but fast reload at 25s. It shoots mainly HE, as AP doesn't do much except at closer ranges and broadside cruisers. Monarch gets guns with some actual AP pen again and shell velocity, making it decent as an AP platform, because it has similar shell values to QE, except in pen and velocity. It's a modernised version basically. Monarch also has KGVs fast reload to make up for not being too accurate.

Lion and Conqueror have meanwhile just pushover HE, while their AP is a situational choice. Unlike Monarch, shell output is mediocre, as is accuracy and pen, making AP overall the worst of any line at these tiers. On the other hand, from T7 on you get a better repair, with T7 and T8 getting the best repair party of their tiers and T9 and T10 getting the famous superheal that repairs half your ship in 20s.

Honestly, if you want to have more AP-centered or switch playstyle, after QE, the Monarch is the sole real tech line ship that offers that and otherwise you have to look at Hood (AP centered), Vanguard (AP-centered with good HE) and Thunderer (AP-centered with good HE).

• Cool 2

105 posts
2,142 battles
30 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

QE is basically the first of the upper half of RN BBs. It has some of the typical traits, though also two atypical ones.

Typical for RN BB:

• All or nothing armour. You eat all the HE pens and get overmatched easily. Unlike Iron Duke and others, you don't have reinforced plating except for the main belt. In this regard, all subsequent BBs in line will be like this.

Atypical:

• Actual accuracy. All subsequent BBs will have mediocre accuracy, not QE's good accuracy.
  • AP performance. Apart from Monarch, everything after the QE will be mainly loading HE, because the AP is basically just not very useful most of the time, unless someone really asks for it.

KGV has smaller guns, but fast reload at 25s. It shoots mainly HE, as AP doesn't do much except at closer ranges and broadside cruisers. Monarch gets guns with some actual AP pen again and shell velocity, making it decent as an AP platform, because it has similar shell values to QE, except in pen and velocity. It's a modernised version basically. Monarch also has KGVs fast reload to make up for not being too accurate.

Lion and Conqueror have meanwhile just pushover HE, while their AP is a situational choice. Unlike Monarch, shell output is mediocre, as is accuracy and pen, making AP overall the worst of any line at these tiers. On the other hand, from T7 on you get a better repair, with T7 and T8 getting the best repair party of their tiers and T9 and T10 getting the famous superheal that repairs half your ship in 20s.

Honestly, if you want to have more AP-centered or switch playstyle, after QE, the Monarch is the sole real tech line ship that offers that and otherwise you have to look at Hood (AP centered), Vanguard (AP-centered with good HE) and Thunderer (AP-centered with good HE).

Interesting, so it is not quite representative of the line. Well I guess I'll have to try them to see if I can make them work. 

Thing about QE, I rarely get myself into a position that I have to rely on armor alone, I always end up being a secondary target and no one really shoots at me, although I'm not quite far from them. 

Is there any defining trait of the line? BTW I've read that Monarch is the worst ship in the line, I'm not sure why really.

Players
8,474 posts
9,441 battles
6 minutes ago, BarskiPatzow said:

Interesting, so it is not quite representative of the line. Well I guess I'll have to try them to see if I can make them work. 

Thing about QE, I rarely get myself into a position that I have to rely on armor alone, I always end up being a secondary target and no one really shoots at me, although I'm not quite far from them. 

Is there any defining trait of the line? BTW I've read that Monarch is the worst ship in the line, I'm not sure why really.

Because people come from KGV that spams HE with 40% fire chance to Monarch with 35% and go like REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, instead of noticing that they can load AP to basically get Bismarck grade AP performance with less overpens and better dpm. And once they went through Monarch they go back to Lion with stupid HE and no redeeming qualities to AP and the world is fine again for the HE spammer.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

105 posts
2,142 battles
1 minute ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Because people come from KGV that spams HE with 40% fire chance to Monarch with 35% and go like REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, instead of noticing that they can load AP to basically get Bismarck grade AP performance with less overpens and better dpm. And once they went through Monarch they go back to Lion with stupid HE and no redeeming qualities to AP and the world is fine again for the HE spammer.

That makes Monarch actually very good then! I like using both ammo types, and I love the gun performance of Bismarck so I guess I'll be ok with Monarch.  BTW that 35% fire chance is still good, I don't get why people don't like it :cap_hmm:

Thank you for the replies, I'll surely continue up the tree and see it for myself.:cat_cool:

Players
8,474 posts
9,441 battles
2 minutes ago, BarskiPatzow said:

That makes Monarch actually very good then! I like using both ammo types, and I love the gun performance of Bismarck so I guess I'll be ok with Monarch.  BTW that 35% fire chance is still good, I don't get why people don't like it :cap_hmm:

Thank you for the replies, I'll surely continue up the tree and see it for myself.:cat_cool:

Because it's not 40% of KGV. Yes, it's still great. Yes, you still have stupid high alpha, so in bow-on stand-off, you still crap on enemy BBs and you still can just nuke cruisers with HE if you cannot overmatch them.

• Cool 1

Players
38 posts
13,176 battles

Well, I am slowly grinding this line. I am at KGV now.

I played QE mainly with AP. because the gun caliber is 381mm, which overmatches most of the enemies in its range. KGV has 356mm guns, I think it should be played mostly with HE. Penetration of AP is not enough to use it, unless the enemy is lightly armored and broadside.

Most of the wows community says Conq is a good ship. So this is a grinding process to Conq, I think it will be a good reward for this pain.

[-N5C-]
Players
271 posts
16,926 battles
On 2/6/2020 at 12:39 PM, BarskiPatzow said:

Also, Monarch have an amazing concealment. You will have better concealment than many of the tier 8 cruisers! 11.5km to be precise. In the right situations, you can close the gap to a cruiser without them noticing and blap them out of existence at ~11km range :P

Concealment for Monarch works really well for defensive too, since you can much more easily go dark at your will compared to almost any other battleship in the game.

Players
1,270 posts
On 2/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, BarskiPatzow said:

Does it change to something else, or is the QE a good representation what the rest of the line is?

No, not really. QE has really slow turret transverse, even with the skill used to speed it up. It gets better after QE. King George is a good BB after it and so is the Conq at T10. I don't rate the Lion at T9 and the T8 Brit BB Monarch is so, so really said by many (but I thought it wasn't that bad). Best is the king George at T7 and Conq at T10. Worst is QE and Lion, that really slow turret transverse just kills the QE

But if you're willing to pay for a premium. The Vanguard isn't a bad T8 premium ship to play. I enjoyed playing it.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,380 posts
6,764 battles

If you can get the coal together for her the Thunderer is even better though.

105 posts
2,142 battles
On 2/6/2020 at 12:44 PM, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Because it's not 40% of KGV. Yes, it's still great. Yes, you still have stupid high alpha, so in bow-on stand-off, you still crap on enemy BBs and you still can just nuke cruisers with HE if you cannot overmatch them.

Tnx for telling me things about monarch, I love the ship. In fact it's my favorite ship at the moment.

[-N5C-]
Players
271 posts
16,926 battles

And Monarch looks awesome in premium camo I would say :P

Annotation 2020-03-17 000320.jpg

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,380 posts
6,764 battles
55 minutes ago, Nit0 said:

And Monarch looks awesome in premium camo I would say :P

Annotation 2020-03-17 000320.jpg

Alternative premium camo to be precise :Smile-_tongue: Just in case someone hasn't completed the British cruisers collection and was wondering why they don't see this on theirs.

• Cool 1

Players
501 posts
5,711 battles

I ground my way to the Conqueror, and it really isn't that fun to play at all. I dislike sitting back and farming from relatively long range with HE, and this seemed to be the only proper way to play it. Of course, you could close the distance later in the game but your super-vunerable citadel coupled with your weak armor makes it pretty tricky.

Of course, you have the RN super heal but if you misuse it you're stuck with no heal for a good length of time and you will melt very fast if you get focused.

I found Monarch and Lion fun back in the day, but this was before they had their citadels raised.

Players
8,474 posts
9,441 battles
2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Of course, you have the RN super heal but if you misuse it you're stuck with no heal for a good length of time and you will melt very fast if you get focused.

I mean, it's same CD as any normal repair party.

[AMOK]
Players
1,966 posts
8,842 battles
Am 6.2.2020 um 12:25, BarskiPatzow sagte:

This is of course always dependent on personal taste but i had to stop after the KGV since it was the one of the worst BB experience i made so far. I finished the research for Monarch but i have no intention to go further on that line.

It's a bit sad since QE was really good and i do like the Nelson but having the worst armor and relying on HE on a BB isn't my thing. Apart from that i will get me the Thunderer since she is at least accurate and can pen something (i heard).

I would say, test the KGV and you will see if this line works for you.

Players
8,474 posts
9,441 battles
6 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

This is of course always dependent on personal taste but i had to stop after the KGV since it was the one of the worst BB experience i made so far. I finished the research for Monarch but i have no intention to go further on that line.

It's a bit sad since QE was really good and i do like the Nelson but having the worst armor and relying on HE on a BB isn't my thing. Apart from that i will get me the Thunderer since she is at least accurate and can pen something (i heard).

Pretty much the main upgrade of Monarch is that her guns get AP that is in line with what you expect on high tier, not the 356s.

[AMOK]
Players
1,966 posts
8,842 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, Bunny_Lover_Kallen sagte:

Pretty much the main upgrade of Monarch is that her guns get AP that is in line with what you expect on high tier, not the 356s.

That doesn't make her a good ship...so no thank you :Smile_Default:

Players
8,474 posts
9,441 battles
3 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

That doesn't make her a good ship...so no thank you :Smile_Default:

I mean, if you don't want to spam HE, it makes it a better ship than KGV and certainly not worse than QE. Armour scheme is still not great, but overmatch is limited to Yamato-class, which still is a stepup from KGV and QE, both which have all-or-nothing armour. And if this armour isn't your thing, I'll just go and point out that the Thunderer basically has the same armour scheme at T10, but with a worse heal, unless you eat all the citadels, because restoring a bit more citadel damage is the only thing Thunderer does better.

[AMOK]
Players
1,966 posts
8,842 battles
Vor 30 Minuten, Bunny_Lover_Kallen sagte:

I mean, if you don't want to spam HE, it makes it a better ship than KGV and certainly not worse than QE. Armour scheme is still not great, but overmatch is limited to Yamato-class, which still is a stepup from KGV and QE, both which have all-or-nothing armour. And if this armour isn't your thing, I'll just go and point out that the Thunderer basically has the same armour scheme at T10, but with a worse heal, unless you eat all the citadels, because restoring a bit more citadel damage is the only thing Thunderer does better.

I know. It's the overall package that doesn't suit me. I can forgive a lot of disadvantages if there are features which give me the opportunity to play around the weak points while fulfilling the role of the class. But i don't see this in UK BBs from T7 to 10. I know that Thunderer has the same weaknesses as Conqueror but my hope is that the accuracy makes up for it. So maybe she is still not a tank but at least some kind of dmg dealer or assassin if you can use concealment and guns in the right way. Don't get me wrong, i could make the KGV work but it wasn't that funny :Smile_sceptic:

Players
8,474 posts
9,441 battles
Just now, Donar79 said:

I know. It's the overall package that doesn't suit me. I can forgive a lot of disadvantages if there are features which give me the opportunity to play around the weak points while fulfilling the role of the class. But i don't see this in UK BBs from T7 to 10. I know that Thunderer has the same weaknesses as Conqueror but my hope is that the accuracy makes up for it. So maybe she is still not a tank but at least some kind of dmg dealer or assassin if you can use concealment and guns in the right way. Don't get me wrong, i could make the KGV work but it wasn't that funny :Smile_sceptic:

Thunderer has best accuracy, yes.

Monarch has best dpm at T8 though in both shell types.

105 posts
2,142 battles
20 hours ago, Donar79 said:

Oh, I've passed both KGV and Monarch. I Loved both ships, with Monarch being my favorite tier 8 ship. Whole line so far seems to suit me very well. I feel like whole line is pretty flexible.

• Cool 1

[AMOK]
Players
1,966 posts
8,842 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, BarskiPatzow sagte:

Oh, I've passed both KGV and Monarch. I Loved both ships, with Monarch being my favorite tier 8 ship. Whole line so far seems to suit me very well. I feel like whole line is pretty flexible.

:Smile_great:Nice, if it works for you. I guess i need the potential to devastate or its no fun :Smile_teethhappy: