You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zen71_sniper

Taking a break from randoms - just some musings from an oldtimer

53 comments in this topic

[OCTO]
Players
1,265 posts
31,256 battles

Hello, 

If you care to read (be warned, it might end up too long) first some preliminaries:

1. Forum trolls (usually ones with more posts than battles), please skip this post and go somewhere else

2. Stats - feel free to check my stats - not a great player, but competent enough. All stats rising and first 4000 or so games I was the kind of player that "played for fun". I humbly ask for forgiveness, this was my first multiplayer online game and I really was a burden to my teams. :fish_panic: If I could go back in the past, I would ;)  So, please no L2P etc. 

Now that it is out of the way here is my view on why I am planning to take a break from randoms. I would like to hear how many of you are seeing it the way I do.

• The game has been continuously being dumbed down or "equalised" with every new patch
  • A serious effort was made to make ships last longer and not die because of misplay (flooding is a joke, torps are being nerfed, citadels lowered, etc). HE spam is encouraged as it can't really kill a ship fast
  • This allows for more forgiving gameplay for most classes but especially for the class that matters (and we know which one is that :Smile_child:)
  • The end result is that INDIVIDUAL impact is greatly diminished in comparison with a few years ago. Why,  becasue even if you are a unicum, you can not kill the ships fast enough to make an impact if your team is bad.

The result is that usually after a few minutes in-game YOU KNOW how is it going to end. Either DDs die in the first few minutes or teams are so cap and risk-averse that they just sit there being farmed, waiting for the miracle. 

So, why play? I do understand the whole "over the xxxx game, it gets equalised, WR is more accurate  etc....) but that is not the point. The point is that the games are decided by how many incompetants do you have in your team and if that is higher and lower than other team. So again, if your efforts can say add only 5% to the outcome, why bother? 

Be honest here, even if you are in the winning team that steamrolls other - is it really that great satisfaction if it was won, not because of your team skill, but rather the lack of skill of the other team?

For me, the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was the last loosing streak that I had in Venezia (and I am OK-ish in squishy cruisers)  - Please check my stats in Venezia below. I play it as it should be (according to CCs, good players, etc) , support DDs (most of my kills are DDs), smoke up, disengage, kite, get close again later in the game.

I know that the sample size is small (around 30 games) but it illustrates what I was writing about, my damage and kill rate is higher than the server, I am playing as a team player (sometimes the only guy in the team :cap_haloween:) and yet, the outcome is not determined by skill, but plainly how bad your team is. 

And that is why I caught myself asking - do I need this s..t in my life? And that is why I am taking a break from randoms....

Please share your (civilised please?) thoughts on the subject.

P.S. I will still happily FC in CBs, play scenarios (coops are boring) and some ranked. But I am afraid that after 15K games, my honeymoon with WoWs is over and I am considering a divorce.... 

P.P.S. I hope there was not too much salt in here... 

image.thumb.png.4a31f4ccb6e82e17e82320a5c723f824.png

image.thumb.png.986095baa0d94ed2b3216bbf4b1fe304.png

• Cool 14

[LEWD]
[LEWD]
Players
443 posts
27,383 battles

My stats are private as I play for fun nothing else and it makes me laugh when players check up on me and can't see them they get so mad,that's another reason it's private.

Today was very bad for me 16 played and only won 2,bbs running away or hiding behind islands,when I play dd all I ask is for a little backup but when a cv comes with its rocket planes and takes my health down to half where is the fun in that,I feel for a new player in a dd they will get put off playing them.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[PERMA]
Players
1,738 posts
15,105 battles
1 minute ago, bigdoguk said:

My stats are private as I play for fun nothing else and it makes me laugh when players check up on me and can't see them they get so mad,that's another reason it's private.

Today was very bad for me 16 played and only won 2,bbs running away or hiding behind islands,when I play dd all I ask is for a little backup but when a cv comes with its rocket planes and takes my health down to half where is the fun in that,I feel for a new player in a dd they will get put off playing them.

You are not on your own @bigdoguk

Good Luck 

o7

• Cool 1

Players
3,108 posts
16,596 battles

If you are after wining 3 good+ players division carry most of the time unless facing equally good or better division.

Overall skill in high tiers goes down and WG for understandable  financial gain are pushing there players no matter how good or bad they are.

IMHO Steam was breaking point in time with changes in mechanics plus reework, lots of easy obtainable T IX-X ships for resources being the last nail to the coffin. Or really subs will be.:cap_haloween:

No fun in many games - too easy wins vs disgusting teams, or losses in 6 minuts are way too common.

Part of the problem IMHO is that WG has made DD gameplay too inconsistent during Tier progression. 

Total yolo in coops, nearly the same plus knife fights in low tiers (many thinks like this: what can I do if CV spots me? I'll Yolo and maybe I kill something before I die) and most of DD players hitting high tiers are full of bad habits and not ready for radars on the top of CVs and enemy DDs with ships accurate and deadly for low HP targets.

No obligatory tutorials, more and more gimmics, forgiving economy even on high tiers (with premium time and camo TX can't lose much credits really).

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
1,265 posts
31,256 battles
Vor 48 Minuten, DariusJacek sagte:

If you are after wining 3 good+ players division carry most of the time unless facing equally good or better division.

Overall skill in high tiers goes down and WG for understandable  financial gain are pushing there players no matter how good or bad they are.

IMHO Steam was breaking point in time with changes in mechanics plus reework, lots of easy obtainable T IX-X ships for resources being the last nail to the coffin. Or really subs will be.:cap_haloween:

No fun in many games - too easy wins vs disgusting teams, or losses in 6 minuts are way too common.

Part of the problem IMHO is that WG has made DD gameplay too inconsistent during Tier progression. 

Total yolo in coops, nearly the same plus knife fights in low tiers (many thinks like this: what can I do if CV spots me? I'll Yolo and maybe I kill something before I die) and most of DD players hitting high tiers are full of bad habits and not ready for radars on the top of CVs and enemy DDs with ships accurate and deadly for low HP targets.

No obligatory tutorials, more and more gimmics, forgiving economy even on high tiers (with premium time and camo TX can't lose much credits really).

Good points. It really resonates with my experience - average DD players are really not as good as they used to be. And a good DD (if there are no CVs) can make or break the game. 

Edited by floribe2000
formatting of the quote

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
25 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Be honest here, even if you are in the winning team that steamrolls other - is it really that great satisfaction if it was won, not because of your team skill, but rather the lack of skill of the other team? 

No, its no satisfaction, atleast not for me and the guys im playing with, usualy say the same. Best games are, where both team fight on even terms and everyone gets the maximum out of their ships. Those tense games, that last 20 mins and are open until the last minute. Yes, those, that we hardly see anymore. I remember one from early January - I posted about it in the "greatest gaming achievements" we have february already...

28 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

And that is why I caught myself asking - do I need this s..t in my life? And that is why I am taking a break from randoms....

Sorry to hear that because it means: we lose another one, that knows how to play and a red 40% guy takes your place.

28 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

I will still happily [...] play scenarios

You are always welcome in our Narai-divisions. :Smile_honoring: If you want to join our Discord (where we start divisions for Narai often), poke me via PM and ill gladly send you an invite!

• Cool 7

[RODS]
Players
2,158 posts
8,339 battles

Your stats are better than mine but you have had a bad streak

I was a battleship main

I had a meltdown some time back and hardly touched the game for a month, came back and started playing DD:S which I hardly ever touched before

Well then the carrier rework "happened" and all that I still stuck to a few DD games per day

I am still at it.

Take some time off and dont touch that ship for 6 months

Players
2,544 posts
4,794 battles

As someone who finally decided to quit the game a couple of weeks ago, I completely understand where you are coming from.

Each battle lasts on average 10-15mins. In that time you can end up with some of the window-lickiest teams either on your team or the enemy team, which either results in a team you just can't carry and gets roflstomped or you end up chasing the enemy team across the map being unable to really do any damage before they get roflstomped. And then you can just get unlucky and get f*cked in the early minutes of the battle.

Let's compare this to a couple of other games I could be playing instead:

1. Fire Emblem Three Houses. A battle could be anywhere up to 30mins to an hour, but if you lose it's entirely your fault and nobody else's. The characters are fun and appealing and the story is engaging.
  2. Hitman 2 (2018). I can spend hours on any given contract meticulously planning exactly how my targets are going to snuff it. If I mess up it's purely my fault. 47 and Ms Burnwood are back-to-back badasses. There is some delicious humour and irony in some things you can do in this game.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. A single match is about 5minutes. I don't care if I win or lose because the game is effing fun.
  4. Yakuza Kiwami. You can spend hours on the minigames and sidequests alone. So far my playtime is probably 60% fighting street hoodlums/story/other sidequests and 40% editing my toy car trying to get it to beat all of the races.

What's my point in this post?

World of Warships isn't fun anymore. I'd much rather spend my time playing something fun than playing...whatever WG sucks the fun out of.

WG, take a good long look at my current avatar and bare in mind that that is the creator of the Super Smash Bros. franchise flipping you off.

Spoiler

Actually, he's counting the number of Fire Emblem games on one hand, that number he's going there is 9.

• Cool 3

Players
8,087 posts
245 battles

As someone who has almost 20k games on wurld of danks (my stats arent great there) and aaround 2,5k games here (brigadierrosen is the account). I understand where you are coming from, im still wondering if i should reinstall get smolensk then leave again, or just not bother at all.

I stopped playing as i found no joy at all during late november, early december time. With tanks i quit over 2 years ago.

I would take this as opportunity to play other stuff, alpha 4 for ultimate admiral dreadnoughts just released, as well as age of empires 2 definitive edition, doom, transport fever, sniper elite, warframe, killing floor, besieged, from the depths, the forest, csgo, company of heroes, grid, forza, cuphead, soma, rule the waves, hoi 4, sins of solar empire, jedi fallen order.

just some great games that i want to and have also been playing.

either way good luck mate!

• Cool 4

Players
644 posts
4,196 battles
50 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

becasue even if you are a unicum, you can not kill the ships fast enough to make an impact if your team is bad.

Look I sympathise I do. The game is hard in randoms for a variety of reasons some of which you mention. Also you are clearly passionate about the game to take the time to come here and write what you wrote and we need players like you to stay not leave.

But I also disagree with that statement you made. If that were true I would not be able to do this. I face the same teams as you do each day. I have no control over who im matched up with and I do play across a variety of tiers. I also have ships I'm just downright bad in but overall I have a lot of fun in this game. 

This just goes to show how as humans we are all so different as are our expectations..

Meanwhile.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
2,974 posts
21,426 battles

Sometimes it's good to take a break from this game. I'm far from an amazing player but even I get frustrated at some of the mind bogglingly bad teammates.

There is nothing quite as worrying as a full health Fredrick the Great BB demanding a half health Ibuki to go tank for him, or when a team asks a DD to spot a cap but then when the DD does it the team ignore the radar cruiser that's blocking the cap because they want to farm the other teams BBs at max range. I'm sure we all have si,ulnar such experiences and it can get really annoying.

This is why I suggest taking a break sometimes getting away and doing something else helps break up the frustration of bad teammates and helps rejuvenate the enjoyment. 

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

Idem. Whatever activity there is left from my side is just freewheeling in co-op. If I reach the 2000Xp mark for the container, it’s been a good/productive day.

• Cool 2

Players
1,202 posts
3,828 battles
1 hour ago, bigdoguk said:

they really need to find a way to fix the loss streaks without rigging the game.

[ROUGH]
Players
4,726 posts
13,689 battles

It's always healthy to take a break. Different mindsets between us is what doesn't let me share much sympathy for you as I welcome the game the harder it is to influence it on my own. 

I would probably stop playing after noticing that I win easily be it my own influence or luck through good teams I get into. 

What keeps the game interesting for me personally is the increasing challenge and the random element that is provided. 

I can see how this can't be for everyone and by no means am I saying it needs to be in a way so only I can enjoy it. 

But the diversity despite the game getting more simplified is important and makes each game feel different. 

So it's probably good you either take a break or stop playing randoms if your enjoyment is suffering. Coop or ranked/clan battles can possibly still be a nice place for you and maybe you will get the drive back towards randoms at some point. Its not going to go away so quickly so return whenever you feel ready again and who knows, maybe it will change for the better too. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[LUZ1]
Players
2,233 posts
16,237 battles

I recognise what you are saying.

I had a :etc_swear: losing streak the last couple of weeks. Games that just make you weep, teams that are beyond :cap_fainting:

I am trying to respond by varying my play style. I am quite an offensive player by nature. I have learned to adjust my style much more depending on my green team's behaviour.

I may have stemmed the rot, jury still out.

Players
2,544 posts
4,794 battles
30 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

Look I sympathise I do. The game is hard in randoms for a variety of reasons some of which you mention. Also you are clearly passionate about the game to take the time to come here and write what you wrote and we need players like you to stay not leave.

But I also disagree with that statement you made. If that were true I would not be able to do this. I face the same teams as you do each day. I have no control over who im matched up with and I do play across a variety of tiers. I also have ships I'm just downright bad in but overall I have a lot of fun in this game. 

This just goes to show how as humans we are all so different as are our expectations..

Meanwhile.jpg

Nice brag.

Sorry that was uncalled for, but you have to bear in mind that players like @Zen71_sniper and I, who are above average at best, simply don't have your raw skill to carry games. This then results in a monotony of games where our teams get stomped followed by other games where the enemy team gets stomped, with no actual fun games to balance them out.

As such, we are (or specifically I am) now leaving the game because we don't find it fun anymore.

Just imagine the state of this game if all of us average players grew bored and left? There'd just be the 1% of the population that are like you (Super Unicums) and the remaining 60% Red Stat players left. Just how boring do you think that might be?

Ugh, it makes me shudder just thinking about it.

• Cool 4

[OCTO]
Players
1,265 posts
31,256 battles
40 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

Meanwhile.jpg

Thank you for your comment - appreciated.

Make no mistake, I had the purple stats for extended periods, slightly lower than yours, but positively purple for months at the time.  But at the end of the day, the RNG and MM plays a major part. As I said, even steamrolls for me are not fun, if they are won because of skilless enemy - which is the case for most of the games lately. Games are shorter (tinfoil hat on - this would be good for WG, yes?) and not fun (at least for me) win or loss... 

• Cool 1

Players
644 posts
4,196 battles
12 minutes ago, LOZFFVII said:

Nice brag.

Sorry that was uncalled for, but you have to bear in mind that players like @Zen71_sniper and I, who are above average at best, simply don't have your raw skill to carry games. This then results in a monotony of games where our teams get stomped followed by other games where the enemy team gets stomped, with no actual fun games to balance them out.

As such, we are (or specifically I am) now leaving the game because we don't find it fun anymore.

Just imagine the state of this game if all of us average players grew bored and left? There'd just be the 1% of the population that are like you (Super Unicums) and the remaining 60% Red Stat players left. Just how boring do you think that might be?

Ugh, it makes me shudder just thinking about it.

It was not a brag I was disagreeing wholeheartedly with his statement that a good player cannot carry games and or influence the team.

YES YOU CAN

and then proving it with data.

And I don't want any players to leave the game. I would prefer it that they stayed and the game improved as did they. And then enjoy it like I do myself. He does not want to leave the game, not really. Which is why he came here to discuss it.

Also Im not a Super Unicum LOL. I'm just good in DDs. 

Edit

Also yes you're quite right. If everyone leaves we all lose out for sure. Most games do die in the end though or become stale or boring. 

• Cool 1

Players
644 posts
4,196 battles
26 minutes ago, LOZFFVII said:

players like @Zen71_sniper and I, who are above average at best, simply don't have your raw skill to carry games. This then results in a monotony of games where our teams get stomped followed by other games where the enemy team gets stomped, with no actual fun games to balance them out.

Actually I just thought about this some more after re reading it. 

You see that is just not my experience. I get it that it's yours and also the OPs but it's hard for me to imagine what that's like as it's not mine. But I do see it and understand it's an issue otherwise the OP and others would not come on here to talk about it so passionately. 

Hmm. 

I guess we can blame the meta and WGs constant meddling with it in order to make money. But I also understand they need to make money so have to add new content in some way and make that content appealing enough in order to get players to buy into it. 

A complex issue then with no easy answers.

• Cool 2

[OCTO]
Players
1,265 posts
31,256 battles

@GraySlayer you can carry, bu much less due to the reasons that I stated in my OP. Certainly on lower tiers. Heck, I had a few 6 vs 6 games when I sunk whole enemy team. 

But the higher tiers, T X in particular, are a sh..tshow. 

One of the reasons for that is that WG is pushing players to TX and now plainly selling T X ships. I recently had this guy in my team:

image.thumb.png.3f9a957cd2d1c655c5e8882800a94e19.png

So, effectively, you start with -1 player in the team. Another point to make - look at his stats - AND HE HAS 48% WR. Please don't tell me that is becasue he is skilled.

• Cool 1

Players
2,544 posts
4,794 battles
11 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

And I don't want any players to leave the game. I would prefer it that they stayed and the game improved as did they. And then enjoy it like I do myself.

It's a shame, then, that this game just isn't fun anymore. If it was I'd have more consternation about dropping it entirely.

But it's not fun. It's not fun to suffer through the same teams, both allied and enemy. It's not fun to grind through all of these ships, because it doesn't really feel like progression and just feels like you're slamming your face against the same wall every time.

And I can think of a dozen more games I'd rather play, because they're fun.

Hell, I listed four of them further up this page.

Actually, I'm considering digging out my old Gamecube because the games I played on it were fun.

Players
644 posts
4,196 battles
8 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

@GraySlayer you can carry, bu much less due to the reasons that I stated in my OP. Certainly on lower tiers. Heck, I had a few 6 vs 6 games when I sunk whole enemy team. 

But the higher tiers, T X in particular, are a sh..tshow. 

One of the reasons for that is that WG is pushing players to TX and now plainly selling T X ships. I recently had this guy in my team:

image.thumb.png.3f9a957cd2d1c655c5e8882800a94e19.png

So, effectively, you start with -1 player in the team. Another point to make - look at his stats - AND HE HAS 48% WR. Please don't tell me that is becasue he is skilled.

T10. I avoid it as much as I can, have not found a ship there I like and just sort of stop ay T9 myself. Occasionally I dip in to try and improve my stats and play there but as you say it's got so many potatoes in it now it's just awful. 

• Cool 1

Players
8 posts
1,105 battles

Want to have fun and engaging games? GET GUD. Look back at your stat, if it’s under 50% winrate at tier X, YOU ARE A BAD PLAYER, you are a burden to the team, you dont know what you are doing SO GET GUD. That’s the only way everyone can enjoy the same joy of being in a team and winning a match.

• Boring 9

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
3 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

So, why play? I do understand the whole "over the xxxx game, it gets equalised, WR is more accurate  etc....) but that is not the point. The point is that the games are decided by how many incompetants do you have in your team and if that is higher and lower than other team. So again, if your efforts can say add only 5% to the outcome, why bother? 

Well, thats how one game few days ago looked like:

- Warriors path, center spawn, 3x division i was Fletcher

- Enemies have Venezia, Wooster, Daring division, and i KNOW they spawned center (we were only div, they were only div) + CV in the game.

- I go A, because on C we already have a DD.

- Before i get to A, our C flank is half dead (DD+Smolensk)

- After capping A, enemies already have B+C, basicly everything is dead on the other half of the map.

- Meanwhile, nothing happens on A, everyone on A sits behind the islands. Enemies are ofc supersmart, they just run away mostly, except Balti+Bismarck camping islands near A :cap_old: They played roadblock, so their other flank could close in on us.

- Daring moves over from B, noone helps, i fight him for a while, enemies catch up from B/C and its lost. Well, it was lost before i got to the cap really.

And thats atleast half the games these days. Probably more, ofc not only for my team, but both sides.

• Cool 3

[--]
Players
1,526 posts
21,696 battles
3 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Why play? That's what I've been asking myself past couple of weeks. I've hit rock bottom when it comes to WR. It feels like no matter what I do, how good my game is, no matter what hero play I pull off, it's just not good enough. And that is the frustrating part. I feel like I improved as a player, I got better, but those glue sniffing monkeys keep dragging me down and It pisses me off beyond belief.

111111.thumb.jpg.761d9df450f67963e0c78cf075b28097.jpg

222222.thumb.jpg.1ef82ea321f70741b8109ddf812df02b.jpg

333333.thumb.jpg.3192235a6b3a56fc19ef358f1a51baaa.jpg

• Cool 3