Sign in to follow this  
FM_Mitnick

Need Advice, Newcomer :)

18 comments in this topic

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

See PM for some goodies yours to keep. 

What you should go for is difficult to say. It's best to go up a cruiser-line for some "middle of the pack" gameplay, as well as being the foundation from where other types of ships depart. US or Japanese cruisers aren't a bad idea. UK & Italian cruisers aren't newbie-friendly (or friendly at all), thus I would not recommend going for those. 

Other easy lines are the British BB's and Russian BB's (divert from their cruiser-lines at T4), British Destroyers (divert from their cruiser-line at T2) and French Battleships (divert from their cruiser-line at T4).

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,264 battles

For starting points you probably want to look at

-IJN cruisers

A very versatile line with good AP and very strong HE, decent maneuverability and good concealment.

Alternatively you can go for the MN cruisers. A fine line of fast long-range HE-spammers without too much faff
(yes, a bunch of faff but the line is consistent and can be played without relying on the gimmicks)

Similarly KM cruisers, though they are slow and their HE damage is rather lack-luster

so they have to rely on their improved HE-pen and their high-dmg/medium pen AP to make up for it, which means they are harder to get to work well.

-IJN and USN BBs

The oldest BB lines in the games with no gimmicks and a solid performance. Good guns, okay armor

the armor scheme will tell you when you have mis-positioned and are eating too much focus or didn't angle enough

and they don't get "get out of jail free" kinds of speeds until the high tiers so you learn to pay attention to your positioning.

-USN DDs

The classic hybrid DDs in this game. Decent concealment, good gun power at lower ranges (at mid-long ranges the arcs get very floaty), decent speed and the best smokes in the game.
You out-gun most DDs at close range and your torpedoes don't have the range to torp from stealth until the mid-tiers, which teaches you to ambush your targets and use islands.

As alternatives I'd suggest either IJN torpedo-DDs (the line that ends in the Shimakaze) for harder to make work torpedoes which can be launched from stealth from T2 on

or for full gunboat game play try the Russian DDs (the line ending in the Khabarovsk). From T5 onwards they are very gun-oriented and fast (40+ knots) with easy to use shell-arcs and short-range yolo torpedoes.

The ones you should definitely stay away from for now are

-KM DDs

-MN DDs

-RN CLs

-RM CLs/CAs

All these lines have a comparably high skill floor to get a good performance out of them.

For other Reasons also the following lines

-RN BBs (ppl tend to HE-spam in them way too much)

-KM BBs (turtleback makes you almost immune to citadels and lets you get away with stuff that can get you sunk instantly in any other line)

-USN CL (floaty arcs, medium ranges and the need to spec IFHE+CE give them a bit of a skill floor as well)

No problem playing them anyways but be aware that they have their peculiarities and they should be left for later imo.

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,766 battles
19 hours ago, FM_Mitnick said:

what tech trees should I go to first

How would we know what you will like? :Smile_glasses:

There is a huge difference between the classes and also between lines within the classes. Just take out some toys and learn what you like :Smile_child:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PRT]
Players
178 posts
8,164 battles

Well I would say German cruisers. There are some really good ones down that line like the Kolberg (T 3) Königsberg (T 5) and Nurnberg (T6). They are very allround, decent guns and quite good manouverability. And at T 10 waits Hindenburg, one of the best cruisers in the game in my opinion. Good luck!  :-) 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,222 posts
14,732 battles
On 2/5/2020 at 7:22 AM, FM_Mitnick said:

So I am a newcomer at the game

Firstly, everything that @rnat said.

On top of that: play as wide a range of things as you can; if you play diverse ship types and nations, you'll gain a much better sense of what everything can/can't do and how to counter them. Don't rush up the tiers; the 'point' of the game is not to get to T10 as quickly as possible, so take your time (captain development  alone is a good reason to avoid rushing).

A couple of caveats to the last point: firstly, a lot of missions do require T5+ ships; secondly, T4 CVs are a bloody menace at the moment, especially if you're in something with bad-to-nonexistant AA, which is a lot of things in that MM bracket.

In terms of learning the game, if you haven't found them yet:

Finally, join a clan, ideally one that is happy to teach (preferably using voice comms - TS or Discord usually); besides helping you learn faster, it'll give you some helpful economic bonuses too (assuming their base is reasonably developed). BTW your first clan isn't necessarily 'for ever'; you can leave when you out-grow it, say, although you need to wait a couple of days before you can join your next clan.

• Cool 2

[VL-NL]
[VL-NL]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
100 posts
20,226 battles

Play the different nations untill Tier 3 where u can play battleships too.

At that time u should know wich nation/type of ship  u lik to play.

Because everyone has his own opinion about them .

[THESO]
Players
1,272 posts
16,538 battles
On 2/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, FM_Mitnick said:

So I am a newcomer at the game and was wondering what tech trees should I go to first. And nation too?

You should not go to any line first at all. Grinding a single line will get you into high tier gameplay way too fast. You can go into the highest tier in less than 300 battles at which point you still only know the basics of the basics. You will likely be crushed by the better players before you learn the moves and get frustrated.

The better way is to grind several lines parallel, as @Verblondesuggested. Try to understand how the mechanics work, observe the other players and see what tactics work. As you learn, you will get your lines up and understand what is going on hopefully before it hits you in the face.

Grinding several lines parallel will also help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of each line. You need to find out what play style works best for you. It's a bit like a buffet, where you taste a bit of everything rather than filling your stomach with a single dish and likely missing out on the best stuff. Watch lots of tutorials. Monitor your stats. Make conscious choices. Good luck, mate.

• Cool 3

[PRT]
Players
178 posts
8,164 battles

Agree with Verblonde, no rush. Have fun and learn the game, and the different ships, in a way you feel comfortable with. I suggested the German cruisers as a first line to go, because I thionk its the funniest line I "travelled" so far. Cruisers are also, I think, a good "medium" between the really hard played DDs (I still sucks on them :-) ) and the mighty, but slow and not so manouverable BBs.

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,506 posts
7,589 battles

As several already mentioned play several nations lines and all different ship types to get the feel of what can do what and what not to do with what etc

Dont play higher tier than like tier 6 before you master basics and your average winrate is above 50%)

Have fun

Some ships to look at

Emerald

Furutaka

Fubuki

Hatsuharu

Fuso

IsmaeI

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,264 battles
9 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Emerald

The Emerald is legendarily squishy though. And it's only with the Leander that the RN CL really start to come to their own.
I wouldn't recommend going down that line till you're more confident about what you're doing.

• Cool 1

Players
1,270 posts
On 2/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, FM_Mitnick said:

So I am a newcomer at the game and was wondering what tech trees should I go to first. And nation too?

I would just start with the Nation you prefer to play first. Most I guess tend to play their own nation ships at the beginning, I know I did.

[RODS]
Players
1,506 posts
7,589 battles
17 hours ago, rnat said:

The Emerald is legendarily squishy though. And it's only with the Leander that the RN CL really start to come to their own.
I wouldn't recommend going down that line till you're more confident about what you're doing.

Lots of torps, hydro, smoke and heal. 

What is not to like about it 

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,264 battles
3 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Lots of torps, hydro, smoke and heal. 

What is not to like about it 

• Situational and not that great firepower.
  • Short-ish range torpedos (yolo and ambush only)
  • Explodes if any competent BB or CA looks at it

[RODS]
Players
1,506 posts
7,589 battles
10 minutes ago, rnat said:
  • Situational and not that great firepower.
  • Short-ish range torpedos (yolo and ambush only)
  • Explodes if any competent BB or CA looks at it

7 km torps with 2x4 per side 

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,264 battles
4 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

7 km torps with 2x4 per side 

Yes. Ambush/Yolo/Anti-Yolo torps.

Or do you claim they have sufficient range for open-water torping ?

[RODS]
Players
1,506 posts
7,589 battles
13 minutes ago, rnat said:

Yes. Ambush/Yolo/Anti-Yolo torps.

Or do you claim they have sufficient range for open-water torping ?

Most other tier 5 cruisers have way less than 7

Didnt the Emile bertin have like 9 pre nerf ? that was real good, the Italian has 10 km but only 2 per side

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,264 battles
7 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

compared to most other tier 5 cruisers 7 km is good

Yes. Still a rather situational strength. And she still has neither the gun-performance to match that nor the tankyness to reliably use them except from ambush/smoke.

Sign in to follow this