You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

British Heavy Cruisers: Ships History

15 comments in this topic

Players
880 posts

I was waiting with some trepidation at the release of these after what I saw with the Italian line however they aren't to much of a disappointment at all in my own opinion, The range is disappointing considering the lack of armour and the firing rate is slower than I expected but hey they are Brits and we don't get the WG Love (72 sec Turrets on BB's)  I've only played Hawkins and Devonshire as I'm not paying for tech tree ships so we'l see what happens with the others  I do have a little smile listening to some of the CC's pronouncing a couple of  the names though :Smile_teethhappy:

NB I would like to make the point that as far as I'm concerned the free crates were another con, finished the mission and not got any free ships in my port again, as I finished collecting my last loot boxes on return to port a little message waited for me, Your Premium Account is about to run out, Two Short Words Sprang to Mind and it wasn't Love You :cap_horn::etc_swear::etc_swear:

• Funny 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

HMS Surrey was ordered by the 1928 Program at the Royal Portsmouth Dockyard, but was never laid down.

Does that mean there were some (detailed) plans of the ship?

@Tuccy (if you're still around)

[OGHF]
Players
4 posts
12,817 battles
36 minutes ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

engineer W.G.John , sure W.G, sure :Smile_coin:

erm...check Norman Friedman's British Cruisers. Johns is more real than the Cruisers are:  he was a designer in the Cruiser Section  of the DNC. I'm not sure how far the paper design of  Drake or Goliath actually progressed as Id on't have the book to hand at the moment, could mean anything from a staff requirement to a sketch in his working notebooks to a fully reliased design in all but details.

• Cool 3

[PWN3D]
Beta Tester
703 posts
19,084 battles
6 hours ago, MrFingers said:

Does that mean there were some (detailed) plans of the ship?

@Tuccy (if you're still around)

Cancelled 14 January 1930 , but was only a Norfolk design...……………………………..and you know that!

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,920 posts
4,046 battles

It's that time already? 

The article itself I'm certain is quite accurate. This doesn't relate to the ships in game though, since Albemarle and Goliath are so far removed from the designs that might have served as their inspiration that they amount to fake ships. Surrey and Drake also have numerous very distracting historical errors compared to their respective designs. Devonshire is in an anachronistic condition with 4 turrets/late war refit which removed one, and Hawkins B-hull screws with her AA and secondaries in ways that are really not necessary.

I should post my RN CA problems thread over from NA to here, I've been bad at cross-posting recently. Needless to say, it is a lot of historically based griping with a side of gameplay musings and grumblings. 

Edit: And here it is.

• Cool 1

Players
2 posts
6,806 battles

Well, after eagerly working through all the directives and grinding through daily missions to get precious British cruiser tokens, I unlocked window after window after window, with no sign of a cruiser. Finally, on my very last 10 tokens HMS Hawkins is revealed. Please tell me I can get the 10 more I need to unlock her. I'm begging you. I've read that today was the last day to get tokens ☹️.

• Funny 1

[X-10]
Players
81 posts
5,029 battles

I want some op ships, not some ships that only award enemy team dmg and xp! :cap_fainting:

• Funny 1

Players
3,437 posts
11 hours ago, Two2Dog said:

Well, after eagerly working through all the directives and grinding through daily missions to get precious British cruiser tokens, I unlocked window after window after window, with no sign of a cruiser. Finally, on my very last 10 tokens HMS Hawkins is revealed. Please tell me I can get the 10 more I need to unlock her. I'm begging you. I've read that today was the last day to get tokens ☹️.

I think the tokens are a con, all I ever get with the is flags and stuff, only had the one ship.

• Cool 1

[C-A-T]
Players
7 posts
36,206 battles
11 hours ago, Two2Dog said:

Me too, only I have 15 tokens... sickening.

• Cool 1

Players
2,106 posts
9,538 battles

You cannot obtain tokens anymore.

If you finished all directives, you're out of luck. The daily missions are not rewarding British tokens anymore.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
5,246 battles

WG's historical accuracy has many flaws and RN CA is not an exception. For example, T10 is based on a notebook sketch. Actual G3 battlecruiser design — not available. 

PS In general, the game has become infested with paper fairytale ships, especially of soviet origin. Never launched, never tested in battle, op specs and outright fakes like "stronk russian armor" in their non-existing BBs.

• Cool 2

[MOSW]
Players
19 posts
5,398 battles
On 2/6/2020 at 2:08 PM, Palubarac said:

You cannot obtain tokens anymore.

If you finished all directives, you're out of luck. The daily missions are not rewarding British tokens anymore.

This is the worst so called "event" ever, even worse than the misleading Puerto Rico hack designed to grab as much money as possible from the supporters. I didn't get crap (i.e. ships) after finishing all the four directives and my clan mates got no ships either.

Oh, and to rub salt into the wounds, a clan mate got the last directive through today and went through the 100 tokens gamble 20 at a time and he also did not get any ships. Although he was especially "lucky" to get  the last "container", after using his 100 points, opened for him showing the T8 "Albemarle" as the next target after he had just collected the last possible tokens available in the game. SUPER!

Great touch indeed WG/WOWS, as well as the upcoming next series of imaginary and/or 50s and 60s soviet OP ships to screw the balance of the game even further...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1