You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Otowi

About those operations we are missing and a suggestion.

114 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
288 posts

So, we are missing some of the operations like Dynamo and a few others. I would really like to see Dynamo return due to it's historical aspect. I also miss the ones we could use higher tier ships in.

According to WG, they were removed with the advent of the CV rework, and now it seems it's unlikely they will return. WG also thinks it's more fun and engaging with the directives, but I think they are becoming tedious, and outright boring with the grind type of play directives have. The worst one to date is the recent dumpsterfire that was the Puerto Rico directives, wich was utterly insane in how much grind it required.

So, my suggestion is to allow tier 5 up to tier 7 in operations in the current state. This would give a lot more diversity on ship choices and so on. If we're not getting the missing operations back, is it possible to use my idea instead?? @MrConway @Crysantos @Sehales

What do the rest of you guys think? Is my idea good or bad?

***Edit: Tier 8 is seen as too strong, so tier 5-7 seems like a better choice. OP changed to reflect that.***

• Cool 5

Players
2,074 posts
16,206 battles

They really need to bring Dynamo, Cherry Blossom and Hermes back, at least. So much good work just wasted. Yet another victim of the glorious reeework.

• Cool 11

[SHAFT]
Players
11,072 posts
9,477 battles

Might give diversity, but will be utterly boring. With a Massa you could faceroll those T6 OPs by yourself pretty much

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,651 posts
17 minutes ago, Otowi said:

So, my suggestion is to allow tier 5 up to tier 8 in operations in the current state.

please not! when ops were released, they were open to tier 5 and 6, and many tier 5 were always a guaranteed loss (= everything else than a 5 star victory). And on the other hand tier 8 would be much too strong...

• Cool 4

[LUZ1]
Players
872 posts
12,848 battles
24 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

please not! when ops were released, they were open to tier 5 and 6, and many tier 5 were always a guaranteed loss (= everything else than a 5 star victory). And on the other hand tier 8 would be much too strong...

I would suggest just 1 tier, but maybe the tier allowed could be varied between 5 and 7.

Beta Tester
288 posts
47 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

Well, many tier 5 ships have been released since then, and some of them like the Exeter are very strong. Ok, so tier 8 might be a tad much, but tier 5-7 could work imo.

Also, 5 star is not a must, nice, but not a must.

(That said, Massa would be fun with secondary build, but I digress)

Players
6,835 posts
11,251 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Newman said:

They really need to bring Dynamo, Cherry Blossom and Hermes back, at least. So much good work just wasted. Yet another victim of the glorious reeework.

I think, it was a scapegoat by WG, to put the blame on the rework. They were not happy how some ppl were hardcore farming those Operations, especially Dynamo and Cherry Blossom. I guess they never thought it possible, that 4 guys (or kinda 3 if you know how to do it ^^) would just do 5 stars over and over again. I know someone, who manages to grind over 70 captains with 19 points just by playing Dynamo with his Sims.

• Cool 6

Players
156 posts
11,375 battles

I was never a fan of the Ops but i think they need some kind of options and modes adding to vary things up for the people that want them.

The game is extremely boring and repetitive atm.

On one of the CC's Twitch Streams, it was suggested that WG only cares about random battles and the research bureau for now. Which is hilarious as randoms are an unbalanced mess of roflstomp massacres and the RB is a vile idea :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 4

Players
1,877 posts
19,380 battles

I would love to see the missing operations return, but sadly as you said WG don't appear to be in a hurry to do that it would be nice to at least make it an option we can select. 

That way even if it's not set as the weekly rotation teams who know they can cope doing it in lower tiers can, but your not stuck with random teammates who's over confidence might exceed their actual abilities. 

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,347 posts
3,855 battles
6 hours ago, Otowi said:

So, we are missing some of the operations like Dynamo and a few others. I would really like to see Dynamo return due to it's historical aspect. I also miss the ones we could use higher tier ships in.

According to WG, they were removed with the advent of the CV rework, and now it seems it's unlikely they will return. WG also thinks it's more fun and engaging with the directives, but I think they are becoming tedious, and outright boring with the grind type of play directives have. The worst one to date is the recent dumpsterfire that was the Puerto Rico directives, wich was utterly insane in how much grind it required.

So, my suggestion is to allow tier 5 up to tier 7 in operations in the current state. This would give a lot more diversity on ship choices and so on. If we're not getting the missing operations back, is it possible to use my idea instead?? @MrConway @Crysantos @Sehales

What do the rest of you guys think? Is my idea good or bad?

***Edit: Tier 8 is seen as too strong, so tier 5-7 seems like a better choice. OP changed to reflect that.***

Unfortunately the reality is that the operations are not popular enough long-term to warrant the large amount of time needed to create and maintain them.

We may do more with them in future, but for now it is unlikely.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8
  • Angry 12

Players
445 posts
4 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Unfortunately the reality is that the operations are not popular enough long-term to warrant the large amount of time needed to create and maintain them.

@MrConway "operations are not popular enough long-term to warrant the large amount of time needed to create and maintain them"

Oh come on, people are constantly making posts to bring them back, why can't we just have a straight and honest answer, just this once please ?

• Cool 21

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
416 posts
12,780 battles
6 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Ever thought they might not be popular enough due to the rotation and subsequent boredom? I'm getting bored with random over and over again. As for the directives... bored.

• Cool 12

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,347 posts
3,855 battles
12 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfclaw said:

@MrConway "operations are not popular enough long-term to warrant the large amount of time needed to create and maintain them"

Oh come on, people are constantly making posts to bring them back, why can't we just have a straight and honest answer, just this once please ?

Well, we obviously know how many people play which kind of game mode and for how long.

I know that the operations have a dedicated following, especially among many of the historical enthusiasts around here. I wish I had a better answer for you, but we need to consider the entire playerbase.

We do have other cool ideas and things coming up that you will hopefully like though :)

• Boring 4
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 3

Players
6,058 posts
12,082 battles
55 minutes ago, iFax said:

Ever thought they might not be popular enough due to the rotation and subsequent boredom? I'm getting bored with random over and over again. As for the directives... bored.

Same thing here.

I mostly am active again due to the ARP ships, the 200% we had last week and because I got some free premium time.

But randoms? What for? It's just the same poop over and over again. Coop? That also gets boring. Operations is the most interesting as it involves much more interaction between players, esepcially if they start getting to know each other.

I can barely stomach ranked and clanbattle is nice mostly because of my clanmates.

And ops not being as popular anymore may also be due to it becoming boring after having half of them be removed a jear ago now.

• Cool 6

Players
6,058 posts
12,082 battles
1 hour ago, lovelacebeer said:

I would love to see the missing operations return, but sadly as you said WG don't appear to be in a hurry to do that it would be nice to at least make it an option we can select. 

That way even if it's not set as the weekly rotation teams who know they can cope doing it in lower tiers can, but your not stuck with random teammates who's over confidence might exceed their actual abilities. 

Most people who play more often will typically play with set-up teams and not with random plebs anymore.

The ability to do the missions (like setting fires) in ops was nice though, but when it's the weekly I often just do stuff like trying to torp that cartoon ship and basically totally abandoning Raptor or trying to see how many fires I can set in killer whale without even considering stuff like it costing me damage. Perhaps this evening will try to focus the factories before we get a new weekly tomorrow. Or rushing the 2 BBs that spawn at 12m and 8m top left and see if I can kill it with secondaries with my Graf Lidelin (furious, lol). It's just all routine by now, I can 5 star narai drunk lmao.

People don't need to be serious all the time :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

Players
1,877 posts
19,380 battles

Well at least we know its not worth asking about operations anymore, the Almighty Spreadsheet has spoken and Operations are deemed not worthy. 

Let us await with trepidation the introduction of subs because that is what we are told we must want 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 6

[HOO]
Players
1,971 posts
3,783 battles
7 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Might give diversity, but will be utterly boring. With a Massa you could faceroll those T6 OPs by yourself pretty much

Have you seen what Sinop can do in Narai ? :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

Players
1,423 posts
8,733 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

They aren't popular because most tier 6 operations aren't fun. I have fun with Narai and I had a heck lot of fun with cherry blossom (shooting down these planes and evade a heck lot of torpedoes) Just give us a new (tier 7+) operation and see what happens.

Also, I like the idea of uptier current scenarios. Tier 8 instead of tier 6 for instance. But for that to work the enemy ships should be equally uptiered as well.

• Cool 4

[SHAFT]
Players
11,072 posts
9,477 battles
2 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Have you seen what Sinop can do in Narai ? :Smile_hiding:

Yeah, have played a couple myself. But Fiji is still better :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 3

Modder
4,875 posts
22,483 battles

Operations not popular ... Every time I click operation, even at full night, there are people who play them. I will gladly see much more randomness in them. Ex. different spawns, units and even "legendary" bosses. The more fun, the better. Even when some of the battles would not ballanced at all.

• Cool 9

Beta Tester
288 posts
3 hours ago, MrConway said:

3 hours ago, MrConway said:

Well, we obviously know how many people play which kind of game mode and for how long.

I know that the operations have a dedicated following, especially among many of the historical enthusiasts around here. I wish I had a better answer for you, but we need to consider the entire playerbase.

We do have other cool ideas and things coming up that you will hopefully like though :)

Well, that's a huge let down. As others have said, there are nearly always players that play operations. 

I think it's a big mistake trusting only sekrit spreadsheet, and not listening to the players who like playing operations. I have seen exactly this kind of dev logic before in other games, and usually it ends up biting them in the backside sooner or later.

And I doubt it's that hard to allow tier 5-7 into the current operations. You do not need to balance it around the tiers, just allow those tiers in, problem solved for now.

And if by exiting new things you mean more directives... Well, those are not fun for the most part, as they are tedious and boring. The current ARP directives is an exception to the rule, since it's actually doable for causual players.

What a bloody shame the sekrit spreadsheet shenanigans continue, with little thought given to what players want, in this case old operations back, or modify the current ones to allow the tiers mentioned above...

• Cool 7

[WTFNO]
Players
624 posts
11,011 battles

The problem with operations is not that they are 'not popular'.

Their crime is that they don't allow wargambling to sell lootboxes

• Cool 2

Players
417 posts
2,258 battles
5 hours ago, MrConway said:

Maybe because 90% of the Directives you guys do to unlock [Insert this months shiny thing here] or [Insert this months currency here] exclude Operations?

And we CONSTANTLY have new Directives to chase which means people ignore Operations as they can't complete them there (Or complete the ones they can and then move on)

How about doing a Directive run where you can ONLY complete them via Operations? Bet the number of players doing Ops would skyrocket! (as well as the amount of complaining on the forum that no one can complete the objective :Smile_trollface:)

• Cool 9

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,631 posts
13,455 battles
6 hours ago, Mr_Wolfclaw said:

Cause telling straight and honest answers disqualifies you as PR parrot.

• Funny 6