Sign in to follow this  
affie

Replace rockets with multiple types of bombs?

14 comments in this topic

[OHFK]
Players
404 posts
9,260 battles

I watched NoZoupForYou's video on YouTube regarding the CV interaction and it got me thinking. I know I myself avoid playing T5 destroyers even if Kamikaze R is my most played ship since she was my first premium and main source of income (yes I became a sealclubber). 

Having 2-3 CVs per team at tiers where AA is almost non existant is a joke and very bad. If I avoid it being an experienced player, how do the new players feel and what is their will to continue playing a class where you get shredded every other game. 

I replied to post on reddit and while writing a question popped up and the question was: If rockets are the bane of the DD, why not replace them with multiple bombs? It is not like Hermes is the best T4 CV with her carpet HE bombs. 

What if CVs had 3 types of planes like now but the choices are, torpedoes, AP bombs and HE bombs. This would make the interaction between CV and DD become more skillbased and maybe it could make way for future CV lines and an accepted rework. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,686 posts
38,213 battles

Yeah let's go and replace it with Ark Royal type of cluster bombs that can do 6-8 k per attack and set fires with extra knock off modules. That would be really great :cap_book:

[MORIA]
Players
7,686 posts
38,213 battles

On my Saipan I do more damage on DDs with my HE bombs than with rockets. I did once kill a full hp Asashio with bombs , 10k then turn around and 8k. 

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Please give me more bombs on Kaga. I happily trade the rockets.

Honestly, I don't know why people think NoZoupForYou has an informed opinion on anything, most of the time it is painful to hear his rambling while watching him misplay the ships. I guess at least by now he realised that CV rework isn't the salvation of WoWS as he earlier thought. But as we see here, the solutions he proposes are absolute nonsense, as one would expect of people who do not play CVs much. If you think that bombs are "more skillbased", yeah, no. carpet bombs are about as stupidly easy as rockets and dive bombs need slightly more skill by the CV for being just about as little counterplay by the DD. If WG hadn't nerfed the accuracy of HE bombs, we'd still be in a game where Midway deletes DDs in a single HE bomb drop. Now it just needs a few or blessings by RNG.

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,451 posts
39 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

@Karasu_Hidesuke remembers it cause this was his Asashio.

Well.. no hard feelings Mac-san... I got some fishy gifts to spare and hope to see you around in your big juicy carrier one of these days...  :Smile_glasses:

• Funny 1

[OHFK]
Players
404 posts
9,260 battles
37 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Please give me more bombs on Kaga. I happily trade the rockets.

Honestly, I don't know why people think NoZoupForYou has an informed opinion on anything, most of the time it is painful to hear his rambling while watching him misplay the ships. I guess at least by now he realised that CV rework isn't the salvation of WoWS as he earlier thought. But as we see here, the solutions he proposes are absolute nonsense, as one would expect of people who do not play CVs much. If you think that bombs are "more skillbased", yeah, no. carpet bombs are about as stupidly easy as rockets and dive bombs need slightly more skill by the CV for being just about as little counterplay by the DD. If WG hadn't nerfed the accuracy of HE bombs, we'd still be in a game where Midway deletes DDs in a single HE bomb drop. Now it just needs a few or blessings by RNG.

If carpet bombs are the easy, way, how come Royal Navy CVs doesn't stick out in the scoreboards more? 

I have both Midway and Audacious and know what you mean, I gladly drop any DD with HE bombs but the RNG and drop time off bombs will give you more chance to avoid being hit as a DD player. 

For me the CV balance is broken at low tiers where AA is non existant but at higher tier I think they are beter balanced. Another fact is the 2-3 CV games at T3-5 which are stupid by itself, specially since they don't allow CV to division up. That's WG saying CV is to strong if coordinated together, but here, have 3 random players clubbing seals as much as they want. 

[I-J-N]
Players
5,451 posts
14 minutes ago, affie said:

If carpet bombs are the easy, way, how come Royal Navy CVs doesn't stick out in the scoreboards more? 

I have both Midway and Audacious and know what you mean, I gladly drop any DD with HE bombs but the RNG and drop time off bombs will give you more chance to avoid being hit as a DD player. 

For me the CV balance is broken at low tiers where AA is non existant but at higher tier I think they are beter balanced. Another fact is the 2-3 CV games at T3-5 which are stupid by itself, specially since they don't allow CV to division up. That's WG saying CV is to strong if coordinated together, but here, have 3 random players clubbing seals as much as they want. 

Hmm... how big of a pressure effect would those bombs cause if they hit water and explode on or below surface? They probably would not be as devastating as depth charges because the water pressure is much less in surface conditions but could they still impact a ship 'health' and performance?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
30 minutes ago, affie said:

Carpet bombs are "balanced" by being large area, little damage per bomb, crap pen. Using it vs DDs isn't skill, it's RNG fiesta. There is no play by the CV to make it much more reliable and no play by the DD to evade, when RNG just decides where in the huge area the bombs land. Meanwhile on ships like Ark Royal, where the area is way smaller, the Swordfish is one of the best T6 anti-DD planes.

And the USN DBs being so much harder to use and more skill based is kind of a joke, because no, pre-nerf they were basically hammering DDs down with impunity, now they are more RNG-based, but that still is no skill. It's just a bit more skill to estimate a course than it is to use Tiny Tims. Typically, you hit and wreck things with correct approach. And sometimes RNG says no. Duh.

And all that changes at higher tiers is that CV has to have more skill to not eliminate themselves by killing their planes on AA. Not that counterplay gets more viable. DD at T10 has about as much counterplay as on T4 if the CV isn't an utter idiot.

• Cool 2

Players
1,423 posts
8,716 battles

For high tier german aircraft carriers it would be cool to equip them with Me 262 E-2 (a plane with a nose mounted 55mm cannon)

5440b66b7155d005dfb154b63732a61b.thumb.jpg.ae32eb6b0d0ffa98872f304ff0a7c99e.jpg

The attack mode would be a mix between dive bombing and rocket planes. Going down in a 45 degree angle or so and shooting a few shoots before leveling up again.

[SWAMP]
Players
567 posts
3,399 battles
On 2/4/2020 at 11:24 AM, MacArthur92 said:

Yeah let's go and replace it with Ark Royal type of cluster bombs that can do 6-8 k per attack and set fires with extra knock off modules. That would be really great :cap_book:

I do think that's a good idea though.
You have to be really lucky to get a lot of bomb hits with the cluster bombs, and it leaves more room for the DD to dodge the attack, while still somewhat rewarding a competent CV player that can accurately predict the DDs movements.
Rockets don't have this element of dodging/predicting movements at all.

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
On 4/17/2020 at 12:18 PM, Hirohito said:

I do think that's a good idea though.
You have to be really lucky to get a lot of bomb hits with the cluster bombs, and it leaves more room for the DD to dodge the attack, while still somewhat rewarding a competent CV player that can accurately predict the DDs movements.
Rockets don't have this element of dodging/predicting movements at all.

There is nothing rewarding about RNG based stuff.

How about that I take your favorite ship, give it 1000 gun dispersion and reward you for accuractly leading shot on an enemy DD, uhm?

Rockets are CVs tool to keep DDs in check, it was and it will remain like that. HE bombs are much more RNG based than skill when its coming at hitting DDs with them.

T4-6 CV rockets are fairly weak against DDs and don't have the killing power like in later tiers.

At tier 8 and 10 its where rockets really hurt but takes skill and precision to hammer down DDs, landing Tiny Tims or fishing a broadside on a DD with HVAR rockets takes a lot more skill than the common CV potato can pull.

Rockets have a VERY strong element or prediction/dodging.

Also Nozoup is one of the worst WoWs youtubers I ever encountered so far, 80% of hes videos are constant whining and rambling to the point that Its painful to watch for longer than 2 min.

Also for someone who whines about CVs every 3 videos, he is also terrible at playing them, just like hes "suggestions".

[SWAMP]
Players
567 posts
3,399 battles
10 hours ago, steveraptor said:

There is nothing rewarding about RNG based stuff.

How about that I take your favorite ship, give it 1000 gun dispersion and reward you for accuractly leading shot on an enemy DD, uhm?

Rockets are CVs tool to keep DDs in check, it was and it will remain like that. HE bombs are much more RNG based than skill when its coming at hitting DDs with them.

T4-6 CV rockets are fairly weak against DDs and don't have the killing power like in later tiers.

At tier 8 and 10 its where rockets really hurt but takes skill and precision to hammer down DDs, landing Tiny Tims or fishing a broadside on a DD with HVAR rockets takes a lot more skill than the common CV potato can pull.

Rockets have a VERY strong element or prediction/dodging.

No they don't, rockets are quite easy to land.
You can somewhat work around that as a DD by turning into a rocket flight if you are undetected and he comes straight at you to not give him enough arming time, or by cutting your speed abruptly in order to try to make him overshoot you, but that only works so far.

Landing rockets isn't hard once you have him spotted.
There is also a RNG element to rockets btw, although it is way less than bombs.
Sometimes a rocket strike that looks like it should hit the DD just "magically" disperses all around the ship.
There is no skill element that will magically fix this.

I'm not saying bombs as they are today should be the anti-DD weapon of choice since it does have very high RNG, but the whole mechanic of carpet bomber drop times gives it an element of playing around it for both sides.
Rockets hit so fast from the time your launch them till they hit the target, so the target can't reliably dodge the strike.

I kind of enjoy using carpet bombers for this reason, as they feel rewarding when you do land a series of hits on a target that you correctly predicted.

Sign in to follow this