You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_OQ8SFxmDxroh

Thunderer - The Best Tier X Battleship?

124 comments in this topic

Players
70 posts

First of all, I want to thank Wargaming for giving this excellent ship for coal (esentially free ship). I must say I enjoy Thunderer very much. I also have Yamato, but Thunderer seems to me like a much better ship. Her HE shells are so potent, not only you start fires with each salvo, but you make very good damage too. Especially at long ranges where you can avoid bounces.  AP shells are also hard hitting, especially at medium and close ranges. You can citadel literally anything.  The ship is very nimble, reasonably fast and overall makes very pleasant experience. It also makes a lot of money. I just wonder if any other tier X battleship is worth of grind? I spent so much time for getting Yamato, but it feels like an obsolete ship.  

Anyway, I am so happy I didn''t buy Smolensk for coal instead of Thunderer. Smolensk is a pretty much glass ship, one salvo and sayonara baby! I see that happens all the time.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Players
2,106 posts
9,538 battles

That's what happens when WG focuses on producing new ships every update, leaving the old ones to rust.

Yamato was an incredible BB once (upon a time) but now it's just meh as many other BBs are way better (think Thunderer, Conqueror, Kremlin, Bourgogne etc.)

Note that I own a total of 0 T10 BBs so I'm mostly talking from what I see and read from others along with some limited testing on the PTS.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

Players
70 posts
3 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

That's what happens when WG focuses on producing new ships every update, leaving the old ones to rust.

Yamato was an incredible BB once (upon a time) but now it's just meh as many other BBs are way better (think Thunderer, Conqueror, Kremlin, Bourgogne etc.)

Yes, you are right, I have just unlocked Yamato but it already feels to me like a strange, outdated ship. Thunderer feels way much better and deals much more damage. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
2,106 posts
9,538 battles

Yamato is definitely not a bad ship. Not at all.

But the time and WOWs devs ate him :) It just can't keep up with the new T10 that are coming out... I didn't even mention the Ohio monster and new once are on the horizon like Yashima and others...

• Cool 2

[PIKES]
Players
430 posts
10,223 battles

Yamato is an special historical ship. I will be happy when I unlock my own. Being a well known ship, played by many ones, is a good landmark for comparing our skills playing her or with another BB :Smile_Default:.

Players
70 posts
26 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Bring back Musashi. She still punches above her weight for a Tier IX.

I wouldn't take Musashi even if someone gives me for free. Every time I see Musashi in the game, it's on fire. At least 1 fire burning, on average 2, not rarely 3 and sometimes even 4. Musashi is a great stake. It reminds me of the Middle Ages.

• Funny 4
  • Boring 2

[-TPF-]
Players
4,259 posts
17,811 battles
11 minutes ago, Lepi_Mija said:

I wouldn't take Musashi even if someone gives me for free. Every time I see Musashi in the game, it's on fire. At least 1 fire burning, on average 2, not rarely 3 and sometimes even 4. Musashi is a great stake. It reminds me of the Middle Ages.

Captain skills, someone...

But you've shown what Yamato needs to feel up-to-date. Particularly diligent damage control. All she needs is to be able to put out fires significantly faster than her competitors (most of whom have better heals) and suddenly all those HE slinging dwarves might start to feel worried about her. 

• Cool 3

[KAKE]
Players
2,737 posts
6,707 battles
1 hour ago, Lepi_Mija said:

You do realize that Musashi has exactly the same fire resistance as all other T9 ships? There is no difference, all ships of the same tier have the same base fire resistance :Smile_smile:

• Cool 3

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles

Yamato is fine. It's not a good ship for Clan Battle because it's slow, but it's a fine ship for pretty much everything else. It's still THE 460mm ship in the game (besides Musashi) and it's still incredibly accurate for a battleship. It may be a bit inferior at dealing with cruisers that the 12-guns battleships, but it can still punch through almost anything.

Also, 57mm deck armor. A godsend against cruisers.

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
12,017 battles
2 hours ago, Lepi_Mija said:

First of all, I want to thank Wargaming for giving this excellent ship for coal (esentially free ship). I must say I enjoy Thunderer very much. I also have Yamato, but Thunderer seems to me like a much better ship. Her HE shells are so potent, not only you start fires with each salvo, but you make very good damage too. Especially at long ranges where you can avoid bounces.  AP shells are also hard hitting, especially at medium and close ranges. You can citadel literally anything.  The ship is very nimble, reasonably fast and overall makes very pleasant experience. It also makes a lot of money. I just wonder if any other tier X battleship is worth of grind? I spent so much time for getting Yamato, but it feels like an obsolete ship.  

Anyway, I am so happy I didn''t buy Smolensk for coal instead of Thunderer. Smolensk is a pretty much glass ship, one salvo and sayonara baby! I see that happens all the time.

You r right about Thunderer. No need to grind any lines after that, use T to grinf more coal and XP to get the Georgia etc.

You r totally wrong about Smol tho. You must be playing her wrong. Im usually last man standing with 200k damage and a couple of kills.

Players
603 posts
3,453 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Bring back Musashi. She still punches above her weight for a Tier IX.

I like Musahhh. If I didn't love my Benham so much it would be my go to T9..

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,388 posts
8,583 battles
3 hours ago, Lepi_Mija said:

First of all, I want to thank Wargaming for giving this excellent ship for coal (esentially free ship). I must say I enjoy Thunderer very much. I also have Yamato, but Thunderer seems to me like a much better ship. Her HE shells are so potent, not only you start fires with each salvo, but you make very good damage too. Especially at long ranges where you can avoid bounces.  AP shells are also hard hitting, especially at medium and close ranges. You can citadel literally anything.  The ship is very nimble, reasonably fast and overall makes very pleasant experience. It also makes a lot of money.

Well, happy that you are happy with it! 

I just wonder if any other tier X battleship is worth of grind? I spent so much time for getting Yamato, but it feels like an obsolete ship.  

I'd say Conqueror... we did use it a bunch of times now in Clan Battles and it's pretty good, if you play to its strengths. 

No you won't win 1 vs 1 on a Currywurst, but hey - you will be able to blap unsuspecting cruisers. It is damn useful. 

I am assuming in CB you meet similar-skilled teams - which means IMO Conqkek is quite strong, better than Thunderer. 

In randoms... well... lately I think whatever gets the most damage in 5 minutes... :Smile_sceptic:

Anyway, I am so happy I didn''t buy Smolenk for coal instead of Thunderer. Smolensk is a pretty much glass ship, one salvo and sayonara baby! I see that happens all the time.

It is. But so is Minotaur, and also: Worcester. You need to compare it to those. 

One thing though: Thunderer is a premium - and yes a moneymaker. 

So is Smolensk... I'll grant you though that Smolly will make more damage in 5 minutes... 

Players
70 posts
1 hour ago, Uglesett said:

You do realize that Musashi has exactly the same fire resistance as all other T9 ships? There is no difference, all ships of the same tier have the same base fire resistance :Smile_smile:

Nevermind that, I almost never seen Musashi in 4000 + games that is not burning. It's just like a big barbecue. As if Musashi actually begs players to light it up. If Musashi isn't burning something's wrong. 

• Boring 1

Players
70 posts
1 hour ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

You r totally wrong about Smol tho. You must be playing her wrong. Im usually last man standing with 200k damage and a couple of kills.

I don't know man, maybe you are last man standing on your team because you camp a lot? And then you lose anyway. All Smolensks I have seen are trying to hide in a smoke or behind some hill like sissies, terrified not to be hit with 2-3 hits. It usually doesn't work. A couple of hits and it's gone. I citadeled Smolensk in smoke with blind HE shot. It's such a fragile ship. Even worse than Minotaur. People forget that smoke isn't Captain's America shield. When I see smoke, I know where to aim. It's like an invitation to free kill.     

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
21 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

One thing though: Thunderer is a premium - and yes a moneymaker. 

So is Smolensk... I'll grant you though that Smolly will make more damage in 5 minutes... 

They are reward ships and not great money makers. Get a T9 ship to get actual premium economy.

As for Thunderer, the ship is solid, very strong, likely too strong for what it deserves to be and just not as criticised because it gets ignored when Kremlin and Smolensk exist. Not that I'm really sure Smolensk is that much better a ship, it is a more annoying ship for sure though (well, until you get set on fire by a Thunderer from across the map AND lose 10k hp, because it has HE pen tha isn't terrible). Funnily enough, Thunderer likely is one of the worst BB matchups for Smolensk, given Thunderer has low visibility, so it can go invisible more easily, its terrible light plating is no issue vs Smolensk, improved heal good accuracy and dpm, AP overmatches the 30 mm plating and HE just citadels the crap out of Smolensk, knocks out turrets and torp tubes permanently and if not, it still deletes large part of the small hp pool.

Otherwise though, Thunderer is not the most fragile BB at T10, yet it has easily one of the most insane gun armaments, due to the high accuracy and the potency of its AP and HE, latter which circumvents normal counters like angling and with BB HE, no deck i strong enough to shatter that. It's like a Conqueror that lost the superheal for more powerful guns and as a consequence, I think in the hands of good players, it's a more potent ship. I'd get it over Smolensk too, just alone because Smolensk basically is a royal pain in the rear, but it is fragile and is more easily tanked.

Players
3,101 posts
17,561 battles

35 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

I like Musahhh. If I didn't love my Benham so much it would be my go to T9..

I love my Benham too. In fact as a result of playing it, I've even fallen in love with my Shimakaze which i never played for 4 years. 

If I didnt fall asleep from playing BBs I'd argue Musashi was the best tier 9. On fire all game and dont give a f*ck (captain skils), it really racks up damage and kills regardless.

[BBMM]
Players
6,388 posts
8,583 battles
13 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

They are reward ships and not great money makers. Get a T9 ship to get actual premium economy.

I don't have a T9 premium, as I'm more into the middle-tiers as I'm not THAT good,

plus the insane stuff that happens there... LOLLL... and that compared to the camp-or-die in T10. Give me T6-7 all day.

So I have T10 actually mostly for CB. However... I have Salem, and 30-35K damage on a loss means break even. 

It is not rare to score 100k damage with it. How's that for moneymaking... plenty good IMO.

T9... not for me... as per above,  no use for CB and no fun for me to play.

On BB vs Smolensk... try Conqkek... doesn't give damn about Smolensk fires, and blaps it with one HE salvo. :Smile_playing:

Last CB we met a clan that had a bunch of Smolensks, a Shima and a Kremlin (harharhar). Guess how it ended...

In randoms though, yes get Thunderer. In CB you can just have one BB. And a lot of cruisers. Get the Smolly-BBQ. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,706 posts
38,366 battles
4 hours ago, Palubarac said:

Nope it's still good but you have to use it wise.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,139 posts
5,526 battles
18 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Nope it's still good but you have to use it wise.

Perhaps for the best that most people can't, or won't. Great game though.

[MORIA]
Players
7,706 posts
38,366 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

Perhaps for the best that most people can't, or won't. Great game though.

Yup Yama is performing well in sniper mode. Same with Bajie or Ashitaka. O found the last two being surprisingly accurate on long range engagement but on close range one.... They fail to go where you aim. Close range I mean 7-8km. 

[BODEM]
Players
802 posts
7,026 battles

Nothing personal towards OP, but I can never take these threads seriously. Some ships might be more powerful than others, but then you see ships that get bashed on everytime (like GK, Yammy, that coal Des Moine, etc) for being weak nowadays slaughter entire teams in Top Tier, Jingles and Flamu vids. Not to say WG gotta get any credits for balancing the ships, but most of the time it's ehat a player can do with a ship. If the player is god in Yammy and Thunderer, he/she will be able to perform the same in both ships. 

• Cool 2

[NOCAP]
Players
5,749 posts
12,996 battles

I agree, Thunderer is by far the best BB. Thats why nearly every team in clan battle has one.. oh wait 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2