Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DeadbyDefault_35

Overpen mechanic getting out of hand!

83 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
24 posts
9,299 battles

Hello everyone.

I have noticed a negative trend when it comes to the overpen mechanic in WOWS. Where it used to be that going broadside on in a cruiser or battleship would spell doom nowadays it seems that firing at those broadside target only results in overpens and thus braodsiding ships are not being punished for doing this. Cruisers nowadays go broadside to BBs more and more because they wont be punished as they used to be. 

First i thought it was my aim but in a recent game doing a drive by on a Scharnhorst with a Lyon at pointblank range resulted in 11 overpens and 4 pens out 15 shells that hit. I wasnt aiming for the superstructure but on the centre of mass and just above the turtleback it has. This is unbelieveable and i seriously think that fuse arming times and normalization needs to be adressed. If anybody else thinks that the overpen mechanic needs to be adressed please comment on this post and Wargaming know.

• Cool 12
  • Funny 5

[CATS]
Players
28,115 posts
14,890 battles

These values were not changed.

When you think there is a change, there is a good chance it was just RNG or you are doing something different.

And yes, at close range the number of overpens increases. That is nothing new.

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
284 posts
8,939 battles

It's like bigass holes in a ship don't matter. Lol overpen. Well, if that is the case, give it flooding.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
28,115 posts
14,890 battles
9 minutes ago, zappori said:

It's like bigass holes in a ship don't matter. 

They reduce the ships hitpoints...

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,716 posts
6,681 battles
16 minutes ago, zappori said:

It's like bigass holes in a ship don't matter. Lol overpen. Well, if that is the case, give it flooding.

Flooding from even an 18" shell hole is pretty negligible. Anything bigger than a DD would probably be capable of handling that just with pumps.

[-QQ-]
Players
95 posts
5,520 battles

This whole citadel nonsense should be ditched. It is a drug for BB captain to soothe his pain after burning , dodging torps or being spammed by hundreds of small caliber shells. I would rather see less rng dependent gameplay but... i know that WG won't touch the gameplay  in a direct way as frustration is a large part of their products 

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,008 posts
43 minutes ago, Merlin851526 said:

What exactly is your point?

Let me guess - you are another one?

• Funny 8
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Players
463 posts
7,353 battles
Just now, Yedwy said:

Let me guess - you are another one?

You have a fair bit played yourself in that class. I'm still wondering what your point was in relation to BB main and the overall topic of Overpens?

[JRM]
Players
7,008 posts

Oh yes I have, and yet I dont feel compelled to open a topic about overpens, now what does that tell you?

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
939 posts
3,431 battles
3 hours ago, Uglesett said:

Flooding from even an 18" shell hole is pretty negligible. Anything bigger than a DD would probably be capable of handling that just with pumps.

not when the result is overpen x6

Players
463 posts
7,353 battles
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Oh yes I have, and yet I dont feel compelled to open a topic about overpens, now what does that tell you?

And yet paradoxically here you are. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Players
463 posts
7,353 battles

Honestly sometimes I think wargaming wants everyone to use HE. Here's a recent example of head scratching WTF is wrong with my AP :Smile-_tongue:

vqOaZEu.jpg

0pkpjwy.jpg

Players
187 posts
4,009 battles
22 minutes ago, Merlin851526 said:

Honestly sometimes I think wargaming wants everyone to use HE. Here's a recent example of head scratching WTF is wrong with my AP :Smile-_tongue:

vqOaZEu.jpg

0pkpjwy.jpg

:cap_wander::cap_wander_2:

The only thing that is wrong is most likely your aim

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

Players
149 posts
4,401 battles
4 hours ago, Uglesett said:

Depends on how many compartments it penetrates!

• Cool 1

Players
127 posts
9,945 battles
1 hour ago, DEADSNAKE2 said:

:cap_wander::cap_wander_2:

The only thing that is wrong is most likely your aim

Actually, I have experienced much the same lately: a high percentage of overpens (50-60%), resulting in a very poor dmg/hit ratio (1-3k). I'm not talking about low sigma ships like Freddie, but even on fairly accurate ships like Izumo against broadside (even stationary!) cruisers and BBs at medium and short range. It's annoying to see how ships that should earn me a devastating strike live through broadside after broadside of overpens to burn me down.

And when I get to sink one, there's always that final 2-3k Citadel to add insult to injury.

It seems that only Russian BBs can reliably punish broadsides.....

I know I am not the best sharpshooter, that there is RNG in game, that players learn to angle and dodge, still, I can't help to feel that sometime during the last couple of patches the penetration mechanics somehow changed. The difference is noticeable and consistent, as far as I am concerned. 

PS: I recall Flamu commenting on a similar experience in one of his videos last week.

• Cool 4

Players
187 posts
4,009 battles
3 hours ago, Danucu_Tigger said:

Actually, I have experienced much the same lately: a high percentage of overpens (50-60%), resulting in a very poor dmg/hit ratio (1-3k). I'm not talking about low sigma ships like Freddie, but even on fairly accurate ships like Izumo against broadside (even stationary!) cruisers and BBs at medium and short range. It's annoying to see how ships that should earn me a devastating strike live through broadside after broadside of overpens to burn me down.

And when I get to sink one, there's always that final 2-3k Citadel to add insult to injury.

It seems that only Russian BBs can reliably punish broadsides.....

I know I am not the best sharpshooter, that there is RNG in game, that players learn to angle and dodge, still, I can't help to feel that sometime during the last couple of patches the penetration mechanics somehow changed. The difference is noticeable and consistent, as far as I am concerned. 

PS: I recall Flamu commenting on a similar experience in one of his videos last week.

A lot of higher tier ships have submerged citadels, so it's much harder to citadel them. About Overpens tho, the only time I scored overpens today was when I hit the far bow or aft end of the ship, or parts where the shell doesn't spend enough time inside the penetrated hull to arm and score a full pen, or when I hit the superstructure. Other than that I had no problem punishing broadsides.

[FIFO]
Beta Tester
435 posts
1,644 battles

as a cruiser player I can tell you, going broadside to a  battleship at 10KM = your dead. going face first to a battleship at appox 6 = lose 20K HP. exceptions exist when the enemy BB is drunk..or for some unexplainable reason blabs his shells into the water in front of me.

if you can get closer then 6KM away from a BB, use torps if you have them (and you better do otherwise why the hell are you so close to a battleship) and hope he can't aim low enough to hit the citadel...as now you actually have a chance he just overpens..you are still going to take like 10K damage in total..but at least you don't instantly cease to exist.

at long range (14KM+) when angled you'll frequently be able to take only 3K damage per BB shell that connects, barring the odd "hit the sweetspot" citadel hits through the deck armor that take a third/quarter of your HP away. if he hits a broadside however, almost guaranteed "heavy damage"

I havn't really seen this change in the time I've been playing WoWs...now in my experience with battleships, they do tend to spread a lot so getting devastating strikes off isn't that easy, but relative to cruisers...its a lot easier to land kills, carry games and do tons of damage as the AP is actually potent enough to plow through the front of a lot of ships, unlike cruiser AP that just becomes ricochet central the second the enemy is even slightly angled.

• Cool 3

[TORAZ]
Players
353 posts
9,224 battles

It should be obvious to most ppl that there has become more overpens on cruisers then in the past. This is specially noticeable on lower tiers and when closer to a ship. Before you still got dev strikes when close to a cruiser but now it´s far from the same case.

Then just trying to sometimes disrespect a post based on that someone plays little bit too much of a certain class is getting old nowadays. It´s like ppl want to start trolling rather than trying to understand someones point.

• Cool 5

[ADRIA]
Players
273 posts
9,969 battles
2 hours ago, Aschwell said:

It should be obvious to most ppl that there has become more overpens on cruisers then in the past.

I think it is just confirmation bias fuelled by the ongoing trend of releasing more ships with high caliber and/or high velocity shells as well as more ships with paper armor. If you are in Kremlin shooting at woosters, smolensks, colberts, venezias or even the new brits - better hold your shot until they angle a bit.

EDIT: i.e., there are more overpens overall indeed, but e.g. Monty vs Zao or DM is still the same.

• Cool 4

[TORAZ]
Players
353 posts
9,224 battles
5 minutes ago, Gebe_ said:

I think it is just confirmation bias fuelled by the ongoing trend of releasing more ships with high caliber and/or high velocity shells as well as more ships with paper armor. If you are in Kremlin shooting at woosters, smolensks, colberts, venezias or even the new brits - better hold your shot until they angle a bit.

EDIT: i.e., there are more overpens overall indeed, but e.g. Monty vs Zao or DM is still the same.

Yeah I agree it is easy to ride on the confirmation bias but my experience was more let´s say a New Mexico vs Nurnberg etc. It´s there where I have seen the biggest discrepancy. Not so much in high tiers.

[CATS]
Players
28,115 posts
14,890 battles
Just now, Aschwell said:

...but my experience was more let´s say a New Mexico vs Nurnberg etc. It´s there where I have seen the biggest discrepancy. 

And nothing changed there.. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[TORAZ]
Players
353 posts
9,224 battles

And I see nothing has changed in you replying to almost every post I make. Maybe you can show some "data" on your claims on my "experiencing assumptions".
If not, STFU key board warrior.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

Sign in to follow this