You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

My 3+ years old proposal: Introduction of special game mode for pure WWI combat using authentic ships with authentic weapons!

43 comments in this topic

Players
2,066 posts
16,151 battles

For a split second there, I thought your 3 year old child made a proposal :cap_haloween:

It most likely won't ever happen, as WG don't seem particularly interested in these tiers, but personally I'd love to see a WW1 authentic ships / weapons mode.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,947 posts
12,798 battles

Wg tried and failed something similar in WOT, WW2 theme battles, but eventually couldnt balance out the issues of Tiger2 vs. Sherman and T-34... 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,615 posts
16,543 battles

Hi all,

2 minutes ago, kfa said:

Wg tried and failed something similar in WOT, WW2 theme battles, but eventually couldnt balance out the issues of Tiger2 vs. Sherman and T-34... 

This would be just regular MM with regular tiers but using "WWI Hull"... nothing special about it... :Smile_great:

So... if we play Tier I / Tier II / Tier III / Tier IV battles right now with "upgraded" ships things would work with "WWI Hull" ships! :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Players
2,066 posts
16,151 battles
2 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

This would be just regular MM with regular tiers but using "WWI Hull"... nothing special about it... :Smile_great:

So... if we play Tier I / Tier II / Tier III / Tier IV battles right now with "upgraded" ships things would work with "WWI Hull" ships! :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

Depending on the line, you can go up to t6.. QE, Warspite, Bayern would be top dogs in ww1, A hulls though. Problem is uniformity across the lines, I don't think something like a t-61 would fit particularly well, for example. You could cut it off earlier, but it seems a shame to exclude the toughest BB's WW1 had to offer...

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,615 posts
16,543 battles

Hi all,

1 minute ago, Captain_Newman said:

Depending on the line, you can go up to t6.. QE, Warspite, Bayern would be top dogs in ww1, A hulls though. Problem is uniformity across the lines, I don't think something like a t-61 would fit particularly well, for example. You could cut it off earlier, but it seems a shame to exclude the toughest BB's WW1 had to offer...

Yep... I was thinking along the lines that Tier V would be some kind of maximum with only few ships from Tier VI (like "HMS Warspite" and similar for example)...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

Players
2,066 posts
16,151 battles

Perhaps rearrange the tiers a bit just for this mode, then? I know it seems complicated, but it might make sense since some of the ship's B hulls need to be excluded...

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

Yes, if only if it was to have a true stock Queen-Elizabeth class (two funnels), or the absolute beauty of HMS Tiger. 

16f91d15488ff8536589741d81238e19.jpg

HMS-Tiger.jpg

• Cool 10

Players
438 posts
3,887 battles
1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Ever since I first read "Dreadnought" & "Castles of Steel" by Robert K. Massie long long time ago I dreamed about computer game that would be able to re-enact those times... :)

Both of those excellent works grace my bookshelves too. I always support any request or thread topic that promotes a WW1 mode. Given all the effort that WG expends elsewhere, often with mixed results, surely they could make a start with this - even if it only involved cruisers initially, and adding DDs and BBs in due course. With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth surrounding CVs, island-penetrating radars and submarines, surely it is obvious to WG's forward planners that a WW1 mode ( or even separate game altogether ) is something many people would prefer and enjoy much more. And dare I say that with the variety of historical ships to choose from,  there is plenty of scope for authentic premium ships.

• Cool 2

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,223 battles
2 hours ago, kfa said:

WG never really tried. They did a couple of completely unbalanced scenarios and said "you see?, it doesnt work". An 8-year old could have balanced those scenarios.

• Cool 2

[UMA]
Players
90 posts

It’s definitely a reasonable idea.

To all those players spitting feathers over CVs, this is ideal because until 1918 there weren’t really any carriers to speak of, at least not fleet carriers. DDs are capable of hunting but not in their ludicrously high stealth and long torp range form. Cruisers would be mix of more modern centreline designs along with armoured cruisers and casemates.

Battlecruisers. HELL YES.

Queen Elizabeth and R-Class super dreadnoughts would be the top tier, indeed as late WW1 hulls. BBs would have a lot of slow turning wing turrets, slow speed and big scondary batteries.

It would be viable as a game mode if the rewards were equivalent to a higher tier?

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
6,993 posts

It would be viable even if it had normal for tier random rewards, as added bonus just give us some pernacamos for say 200-500 gold (depending on tier) with +10% silver, -10% repair cost and +50% freexpon top of the battle bonuses, they can be generic one camo for the nation & line (as these line release camos of late) in 2-3 colors with simple design to cut down on man hours, many would go for cv free lowtier battes, ofc the MM would have to be adjusted to have 1-2 T6 hard cap to prevent T6 flood

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,936 posts
3,778 battles
On 2/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

My 3+ years old proposal: Introduction of special game mode for pure WWI combat using authentic ships with authentic weapons!

Ever since I first read "Dreadnought" & "Castles of Steel" by Robert K. Massie long long time ago I dreamed about computer game that would be able to re-enact those times... :)

So... we have "World of Warships" - why not add special WWI game mode for it - I am sure that many many players would enjoy it (and it should not be that difficult to create I hope)! :teethhappy:

Ships

For every applicable ship (i.e. ship that existed by the time of WWI) add special additional "WWI Hull":

• "WWI Hull" would only be possible if ships is "Elite (i.e. if fully researched)
  • "WWI Hull" would contain all data for WWI type of combat: armor, machinery, primary / secondary weapons, torpedoes, AA (?)
  • players would be able to research and buy "WWI Hull" for credits if they want to play WWI special game mode

Game mode

It would be necessary to create special WWI game mode. Only ships that have "WWI Hull" currently selected would be able to participate in "WWI" battles types!

What do you think guys?

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Original post:

I love the concept, but WG couldn't make enough money from those ships

[DREAD]
Players
10,214 posts
7,154 battles
On 2/3/2020 at 10:25 AM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

So... we have "World of Warships" - why not add special WWI game mode for it - I am sure that many many players would enjoy it (and it should not be that difficult to create I hope)! :teethhappy:

Ships

For every applicable ship (i.e. ship that existed by the time of WWI) add special additional "WWI Hull":

• "WWI Hull" would only be possible if ships is "Elite (i.e. if fully researched)
  • "WWI Hull" would contain all data for WWI type of combat: armor, machinery, primary / secondary weapons, torpedoes, AA (?)
  • players would be able to research and buy "WWI Hull" for credits if they want to play WWI special game mode

Game mode

It would be necessary to create special WWI game mode. Only ships that have "WWI Hull" currently selected would be able to participate in "WWI" battles types!

What do you think guys?

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Original post:

Excellent proposal!!!

On 2/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Yep... I was thinking along the lines that Tier V would be some kind of maximum with only few ships from Tier VI (like "HMS Warspite" and similar for example)...

Leo "Apollo11"

You don’t even need the tiers! Any dreadnought can go against any other. 

Just give older / weaker ships higher rewards to give incentive for playing eg. Nassaus or V-170s rather than Queen Elizabeths and Bayerns...

Give decent credit and - more important - XP gains and you will see a nice mix of ships! 

2 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

I love the concept, but WG couldn't make enough money from those ships

Wrong! It would revive this game in a pretty uninspired phase of its lifecycle. I for one haven’t even touched it since months as much as I would love to. But the recent additions where a bit meh to say the least. 

A game mode as proposed here would mean some modelling of WW1 hulls - sure. But it could be the boost the game needs right now.

@MrConway  / @Ev1n - have you seen this proposal? 

• Cool 2

Players
7,225 posts
245 battles

Ahh i thought teh smoll creature in your kitched came up with a very intelligent idea.

Either way i like could gave good amounts of revenue potential.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,967 posts
28,472 battles
On 2/3/2020 at 10:25 AM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Ships

So basically it would be a BB game mode, right? I mean if you look from BB side, all BBs that existed from T3 to T6 should be included. But when you look on CLs, very few would be there, only one French (T2), three Germans (T2 - T4), three British (T2 - T4), one US (T3), three Russian (T2 - T4) and the only one Italian (T2 as T3 is actually a German ship during the ww1). So cruisers players would be quite on disadvantage as they have lower tier ships and could play vs much higher tier BB. DDs are in similar position as US will have three (T2 - T4) just like RN (T2 - T4) and  Japan (T2 - T4) while Germans and Russians could provide two (Germans T2 and T3, Russians T3 and T4) and French only one (T2). So basically it would be heavily favorable to BB players but not so much to others.

I'm just wondering why wouldn't you, I mean all ww1 lovers, start something on your own, like some event or competition that would include only ww1 era ships in the Training Rooms, maybe try to get more support from other playerbase and eventually WG instead of just waiting that WG listen to your wishes and do what you want them to do. I mean even the KoTS was started by players themselves before WG give their support for it. I mean you are asking from WG do do significant changes to the game, create completely new models for many ships to represent their ww1 state, probably do drastic change of their plans for game development while you are not willing to try something on your own, see how popular it is and then ask WG to do something about it.  

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
10,214 posts
7,154 battles
7 minutes ago, fumtu said:

create completely new models for many ships to represent their ww1 state,

7 minutes ago, fumtu said:

I'm just wondering why wouldn't you, I mean all ww1 lovers, start something on your own

See?

The game does not offer such option. Plus: very few have the time to do the job for the developers really - as most of us are pretty occupied by their real life anyway. A small you know - an advantage of WOWS is that it can be played even with little time to dedicate.

9 minutes ago, fumtu said:

So cruisers players would be quite on disadvantage as they have lower tier ships and could play vs much higher tier BB. DDs are in similar position

I was thinking the same but if you give these “weaker” ships better economy / XP gains it may be a nice challenge for those grinding Free / Cpt XP for example. As I said - I would put all WW1 ships in one big MM pot and only give different rewards. 

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,993 posts

Fumtu has a point about training room tournaments, the question of raising the prize funds remains though

[DREAD]
Players
10,214 posts
7,154 battles
9 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Fumtu has a point about training room tournaments, the question of raising the prize funds remains though

Ok and what ships would you take? There are almost no ships with a WW1 hull. The T3 BBs, some T3/4 DDs and CLs but too few to do a real battle. 

EDIT: No König, no QE, no Iron Duke, no Orion... 

Plus: that needs constant coordination between the players to make it work. Almost a schedule. That would never work beyond a one time event. 

Point of a game mode is you can click yourself in into it whenever you have time. Which is the only way auch things work. 

So people will rather abandon ship than do and coordinate all of that for themselves. At the end it would simply mean the game does not provide this kind of experience 

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
10,214 posts
7,154 battles
3 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Well T3 and 4 should be close enough I guess

Nope. T4 is full fantasy (Kaiser, Orion, forgot the IJN’s fantasy thingy’s Name even).

Same at T5.

Plus: added why such community mode wouldn’t be very successful apart from one-time events maybe. And it would just mean the game is not capable of providing such Warship battle experience - nothing else 

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,967 posts
28,472 battles
6 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

See?

The game does not offer such option. Plus: very few have the time to do the job for the developers really - as most of us are pretty occupied by their real life anyway. A small you know - an advantage of WOWS is that it can be played even with little time to dedicate.

Really? Training Room? I mean get some people on forum or discord, create room, choose ships and you have a battle. Or you are thinking that all other who are playing things like cbs or KoTS are not working or having private life. I didn't mean that you should develop your own game mode

6 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I was thinking the same but if you give these “weaker” ships better economy / XP gains it may be a nice challenge for those grinding Free / Cpt XP for example. As I said - I would put all WW1 ships in one big MM pot and only give different rewards. 

Sure that would make them "balanced". "Oh, you get one shot by Warspite? Here some more credits and thanks for having a fun and provide us a target. Cheers!". Who wouldn't like that.

Players
7,225 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Nope. T4 is full fantasy (Kaiser, Orion, forgot the IJN’s fantasy thingy’s Name even).

Same at T5.

Plus: added why such community mode wouldn’t be very successful apart from one-time events maybe. And it would just mean the game is not capable of providing such Warship battle experience - nothing else 

Orion and kaiser are both real ships doe, actually they are ship classes as well. Dunno about mygo however. Certainly not full fantasy doe.

[DREAD]
Players
10,214 posts
7,154 battles
8 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Really? Training Room? I mean get some people on forum or discord, create room, choose ships and you have a battle. Or you are thinking that all other who are playing things like cbs or KoTS are not working or having private life. I didn't mean that you should develop your own game mode

You need to be your own matchmaker though. Which requires more coordination among the players than most are willing to do I am afraid.

8 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Sure that would make them "balanced". "Oh, you get one shot by Warspite? Here some more credits and thanks for having a fun and provide us a target. Cheers!". Who wouldn't like that

Beat a QE (which would need to be modelled btw.) in your Nassau and get plenty of XP? Why not?

5 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Orion and kaiser are both real ships doe, actually they are ship classes as well. Dunno about mygo however. Certainly not full fantasy doe.

Nope. Other than the name there are few similarities in Kaiser’s case. Orion is much closer but overly cartoonish with these HE shells.

I read Apollo’s proposal as there would also be reasonably credible shells? 

• Cool 1