Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Kilinowski

Why do I get camos for ships I don't have?

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,417 battles

it's really nice that Wargaming is generous in handing out lots of random stuff. I just got this:

 

Unbenannt.png.dac4bd8648a02bbde0012429ba9d5d0c.png

 

Point is I don't have the ship. I also don't have the Blyskavica, Scharnhorst and Tirpitz, all ships that I got some perma camo for in my inventory but that I don't have in port and that I have no immediate plans of getting. The bonusses are identical to the ones on the camos these premium ships are equipped with. So there is no economic incentive of getting these ships to maybe make use of some additional bonus.

 

It feels a bit like getting a Hummel figurine from my old demented aunt in case I ever wanna get a serious collection.

 

As I said, all nice and good, I just can't figure out:

Why do i get these camos and what am I supposed to do with them besides getting warm feelings whenever I browse my inventory?

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
28,114 posts
14,890 battles

When you win something, you get it, even if you do not need it.

You could stay away from all competitions, which would mean not playing some time, as many competitions are automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
815 posts
5,432 battles

Well, some of the perma camos are for T6+ ships, and can save you quite a few dubloons. The Bismarck camo for one.

 

Happy I got the camouflages I did, even if I do not need all of them. Got the Luoyang Lunar New year camo as well, and no Luoyan (yet?). So be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,215 posts
17,610 battles

The Lunar New Year Collection is for Pan-Asian enthusiasts. So I guess they're hoping you might be happy with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RODS]
Players
1,468 posts
7,498 battles

 

So what is it ?

 

6 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

Going slightly offtopic, but OP - in case you were curious what the camo actually looks like on the ship, here it is:

 

Screenshot_12.thumb.jpg.90ce983eda4192801df1b333487218f2.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,117 posts
14,608 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Point is I don't have the ship.

True, but you might get ones of these ships in a container or something - it's nice to have aesthetic options if/when that happens.

 

A bit weak, I know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RODS]
Players
1,468 posts
7,498 battles

Have some cammos without ships 

Siliwangi. Kiev (2 of them), Baltimore, Charles Martel,  

I also had a cammo that I didnt know of, when I got the North Carolina i found that I had the Leviathan cammo

 

Also 2 of the latest new year permanent that I havn´t figured wher to put yet (damn ugly cammo, is it possible to turn off ?)

 

Found another, Master of the waterworld - Benham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,097 posts
5,462 battles
52 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

 

So what is it ?

 

 

Essentially a Pan Asian take on the Kutuzov. No smoke, but a torpedo reload booster, and DWT's.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,070 posts
16,188 battles
4 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Essentially a Pan Asian take on the Kutuzov. No smoke, but a torpedo reload booster, and DWT's.

 

Pretty much. Irian is to the Kutuzov what the Wukong is to the Charles Martel. Excep the Irian gets the 13.5 km torps to the Wukong's 12km ones, and is a light cruiser instead of a heavy one (Kutuzov 152's vs. the CM's 203's).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,097 posts
5,462 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

 

Pretty much. Irian is to the Kutuzov what the Wukong is to the Charles Martel. Excep the Irian gets the 13.5 km torps to the Wukong's 12km ones, and is a light cruiser instead of a heavy one (Kutuzov 152's vs. the CM's 203's).

You take that back, the Irian is a far FAR better ship than the Wukong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,070 posts
16,188 battles
19 minutes ago, lafeel said:

You take that back, the Irian is a far FAR better ship than the Wukong.


It is. My point was that the relation between the ships is the same (as in, WG's design approach on how to change it from the original) - both ships take the original's hull, then trade the ship's unique feature (smoke on Kutu, vs. MBRB + Speed boost on CM) for DWT's + torpedo reload booster. Irian is still a smokeless Kutu, and even without that smoke I'd say it's a superior ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,097 posts
5,462 battles
38 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:


It is. My point was that the relation between the ships is the same (as in, WG's design approach on how to change it from the original) - both ships take the original's hull, then trade the ship's unique feature (smoke on Kutu, vs. MBRB + Speed boost on CM) for DWT's + torpedo reload booster. Irian is still a smokeless Kutu, and even without that smoke I'd say it's a superior ship.

Also, has the wonderfull ability to launch ten torps to either side with a well timed reload booster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BODEM]
Players
801 posts
7,026 battles

I think first and formost this being a f2p game it's an incentive to buy the ship belonging to the camo. But it is also something free, so nothing one could really complain about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,417 battles
3 hours ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

Well, some of the perma camos are for T6+ ships, and can save you quite a few dubloons. The Bismarck camo for one.

Yeah I love those. They are really helpful as one is grinding the lines. I even get having like three different camos for the Bismarck for changing appearance. It's just a bit weird if I get something I don't need at all while others probably open these containers hoping for these camos and don't get it. I would give them away, if I could.

 

2 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

Going slightly offtopic, but OP - in case you were curious what the camo actually looks like on the ship, here it is:

It's got a special look, I can see that might appeal to some players to consider getting the ship. Unfortunately I am mostly a numbers guy.

 

2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

True, but you might get ones of these ships in a container or something - it's nice to have aesthetic options if/when that happens.

 

A bit weak, I know...

I see, but then again I never understood the idea that these additional camos are as expensive as the traditional ones or even more expensive. The first one is important, since it gives you the economic bonus. But each further camo for the same ship only changing the looks while maintaining the bonus, must be of less value to the player, I assume. It's a bit like getting a burger and the waiter asking you "would you like to order a second burger for the same or a higher price". The "apple turnover" thing seems to not apply here.

 

2 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Have some cammos without ships 

Siliwangi. Kiev (2 of them), Baltimore, Charles Martel,  

I also had a cammo that I didnt know of, when I got the North Carolina i found that I had the Leviathan cammo

Actually some of these camos are for silver ships and very useful, since you only need the credits for the ships. Ideally you haven't elited them yet and can save a lot of consumable camos grinding through them.

 

15 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

I think first and formost this being a f2p game it's an incentive to buy the ship belonging to the camo. But it is also something free, so nothing one could really complain about.

As I said I didn't want to give the impression I was complaining. Color me puzzled by the notion. Wouldn't the smarter way be to offer the camo as a personal assignment to the people who got the ship and advertising it as a feature of some bundle? If anybody values these camos it would increase his willingness to pay for the respective ship, while it doesn't address my needs in any way.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,280 posts
19,937 battles
2 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

As I said I didn't want to give the impression I was complaining. Color me puzzled by the notion. Wouldn't the smarter way be to offer the camo as a personal assignment to the people who got the ship and advertising it as a feature of some bundle? If anybody values these camos it would increase his willingness to pay for the respective ship, while it doesn't address my needs in any way.

Its not trying to adress your need, its adressing possible weaknesess luring you into buying the ship.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,417 battles
13 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Its not trying to adress your need, its adressing possible weaknesess luring you into buying the ship.

I understand. It's addressing their needs. It's a trojan camo. I go to sleep peacefully and suddenly strange anime captains squealing like pigs climb out of that camo and eat up my doubloons. Well ... thx, WG, .... I guess.

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BODEM]
Players
801 posts
7,026 battles
5 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

As I said I didn't want to give the impression I was complaining. Color me puzzled by the notion. Wouldn't the smarter way be to offer the camo as a personal assignment to the people who got the ship and advertising it as a feature of some bundle? If anybody values these camos it would increase his willingness to pay for the respective ship, while it doesn't address my needs in any way.

Not saying you were. that is why I used "one" instead of "you" :) The tactic may not work for you, same as it does not for me, but for many people it's like if they got part of the puzzle, they tend to be more engaged to complete the puzzle whereas if they first have to buy most of the puzzle before they have the ability to get the last bit (be if grinding our buying) they can't be bothered. So giving them a piece of the puzzle (the camo) as incentive that they see very time they go through their inventory is a good hook for many to get the main prize (for WG then, with the overpriced sale). 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
815 posts
5,432 battles

Well, for the camos I got for ships I did not have.... and ended up lucky:

 

- Bajie, Wukong, Siliwangi and Loyang.

- Lunar NY camos for all Pan-Asian premiums.

 

Lot of camos, including a few very nice ones (Spring Sky, Asian Lantern, Type 59) nice bit of dubloons (value of roughly another T6 ship), quite few premium days, and 200k free XP (on my way to Friesland). So overall I think I actually made a profit over what it would cost me to get all of it from the premium shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×