Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hurricane_tb

Why were plane indicators removed from ship HUD?

7 comments in this topic

Players
48 posts
10,188 battles

Plane icons used to appear on the left bottom corner Ship HUD, showing where enemy planes are coming from. It'd be useful for ship positioning, as well as deciding priority AA sector in some circumstances. 

Is this an oversight? Was this deliberately removed? If so, why?

Would it be possible to re-add it, even as an option?

Modder
4,875 posts
22,470 battles

Probably somebody in WG found it not needed, so cut if off. Option ? No Comrade, there is no such possibility, becouse from many years even the simpliest things asked by players, were never added to the game. Ex. CV rework turned off possibility to set a course of CV on minimap. Very bad change, but who cares ? A few people will write something about it, and that's it. Remove Depth of Field effect as option ? What ? Not important. etc.

Anyway this info about planes was not done properly. It should only diplay that warning sign when they are somewhat close to You ship ex. 10 km, not showing when they are spotted on horizon. There is a chance, that this option could be restored by mods. I will look at it.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,126 posts
7,357 battles
16 minutes ago, Hurricane_tb said:

Was this deliberately removed? If so, why?

Because one of the goals of the CV rework was to make CVs easier to play. If surface-ships know from which direction the planes are are coming, it will be easier for them to deploy countermeasures and that might make things too difficult for the CV players. When you take into account that WG thinks that your average CV player is too "dedicated" to be able to steer their ship, manage fires or launch counter-measures against air attacks, it makes perfect sense.

But since I'm just guessing here, I might as well add other alternatives:

1. The old system didn't work properly and WG could not be bothered to fix it because it might negatively impact CV performance by a negligible margin. I mean, every counter-play has been reduced in effectiveness so why be inconsistent and introduce something that can help you improve your pitiful AA?
  2. WG did not want to spend resources on having a coder make the UI distinguish between active aircraft and returning ones.
  3. "It would just confuse the players".
  4. Spreadsheet says that we shoot down too many planes the CV population is too low which is why we can't have nice things.

I'm sorry if I'm being a tiny bit cynical here, but I can't help myself when I remember what they did to Manual AA, AFT, the AA upgrade, Defensive Fire and air detectability of cruisers in general :cap_old:.

• Cool 6

Players
2,263 posts
14,115 battles
14 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Because one of the goals of the CV rework was to make CVs easier to play. If surface-ships know from which direction the planes are are coming, it will be easier for them to deploy countermeasures and that might make things too difficult for the CV players. When you take into account that WG thinks that your average CV player is too "dedicated" to be able to steer their ship, manage fires or launch counter-measures against air attacks, it makes perfect sense.

1. The old system didn't work properly and WG could not be bothered to fix it because it might negatively impact CV performance by a negligible margin. I mean, every counter-play has been reduced in effectiveness so why be inconsistent and introduce something that can help you improve your pitiful AA?
  2. WG did not want to spend resources on having a coder make the UI distinguish between active aircraft and returning ones.
  4. Spreadsheet says that we shoot down too many planes the CV population is too low which is why we can't have nice things.

I'm sorry if I'm being a tiny bit cynical here, but I can't help myself when I remember what they did to Manual AA, AFT, the AA upgrade, Defensive Fire and air detectability of cruisers in general :cap_old:.

But at least now we often have double " fun and engaging" at T6 and even 8 as well not only at T4.

Praised be the Spreadsheet!

• Cool 2

Players
48 posts
10,188 battles
2 hours ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Well said mate, agreed 100%!

Don't be sorry, it's not cynical, it's basically "the truth". Everything points into this direction and proves your point: easy to attack, easy to spot, opposition minimalized (nerfed to the ground AA (doesn't matter even if it's a fully AA specced cruiser), useless defensive AA, etc.), oh, and my favorite: being indestructible!!!! Armored deck to bounce AP and shatter HE, immunity to fires because freakin reasons... so even if a CV player is mispositioned and should be punished can just get away with it... 

But I'm still scratching my head why they couldn't at least mention it, "sorry, we removed this feature because this and this", technical reasons, balance reasons, whatever, I'd try to understand them but NOPE. Nothing.

But why am I even wondering, when WG literally spits in the face of 91,6% of the playerbase (22 out of 24)...

Beta Tester
1,723 posts
17,995 battles

Wasn't the plane indicator always working as the torpedo indicator? Around the middle of your screen circle-wise?

Sign in to follow this