Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PsychoClownfish

Need buying advice

35 comments in this topic

Players
130 posts
7,185 battles

I am currently grinding my way up the US cruiser lines, both of them. I am currently close to unlocking the Cleveland, and am half way to the New Orleans. But both lines make it clear to me I need more gameplay experience then is purely required for the ship XP, and so I decided to get a trainer in tier 7/8, which will also serve to train up captains more quickly. So what I would like to know from those who know is, which premium cruiser is best suitable for my purposes, and also fun to play? I kinda tend towards the Atlanta just because it seems the most fun, but I kinda suspect it's not rationally the best choice. I read all the reviews about the Boise, the Wichita and the Indianapolis but I can't decide between them all. The Flint seems ideal but I'm not in the position to grind that one out. So some advice would be much appreciated.

Players
1,872 posts
3,555 battles

I don't have them, but knowing them from the CC videos, i suggest you to buy Atlanta for the light cruisers captains and Wichita for the heavy cruisers captains, they are both allright. Better to spend buying two cruisers, as the builds vary a bit.

• Bad 1

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
280 posts
6,940 battles

Atlanta needs a rather specific Captain to use it to its fullest, so i would reconsider that. I don't personally own the Wichita but its basicly a Baltimore and Baltimore is awesome.

• Cool 3

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,188 posts
22,634 battles

Can't recommend Indianapolis unless you would like to learn by feeling pain. Radar range is awesome, gun reload and armour are not.

Atlanta is a lot of fun and workable with both captains. (I chose to have an extra Captain with AFT for her because I hate the short range.)

I don't have the Boise but I love my Helena to bits. That ship with extra heal sounds like a good choice to me.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
1,738 posts
4 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Can't recommend Indianapolis unless you would like to learn by feeling pain. Radar range is awesome, gun reload and armour are not.

Atlanta is a lot of fun and workable with both captains. (I chose to have an extra Captain with AFT for her because I hate the short range.)

I don't have the Boise but I love my Helena to bits. That ship with extra heal sounds like a good choice to me.

image.thumb.png.5560e1bc66a8bdd012d7eeecd2b717c2.png

[L123]
Players
94 posts
21,157 battles

Check Boise on youtube and Wichita those ships are interesting to play as a trainer

Players
3,099 posts
17,561 battles

Clanmate of mine loves Wichita.

Dont bother with Indianapolis. I have Flint and its great,, but Flint/Atlanta has rather specialized playstyle and captain requirements due to low range and gun caliber compared to something like a cleveland,.

Modder
4,878 posts
22,506 battles

Trainer ? Every ship class needs his own perks. So ex. Wichita captain will be not compatibile with light US cruisers. If You have 19 skill captain on any ship, You can grind free captain XP without need for any premium ships. If You want one, just buy them for fun.

edit. You already have one ot the easiest cruiser to play, which is Atago. To have much better results in her, You should have fast ammo swapping captain perk and use AP, when close to enemy broadside cruisers.

• Cool 1

Players
1,738 posts

One of the best investments you can make , should it come up again is :-

image.png.40331b7a7ca9b633d5332a876412525c.png

He fits any Russian or American ship, subject to commander skills. Not only will it improve your ships operational efficacy, you can use the elite XP to train other commanders.

Better than " yet another ship " to play.....

Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
1 hour ago, PsychoClownfish said:

I am currently grinding my way up the US cruiser lines, both of them. I am currently close to unlocking the Cleveland, and am half way to the New Orleans. But both lines make it clear to me I need more gameplay experience then is purely required for the ship XP, and so I decided to get a trainer in tier 7/8, which will also serve to train up captains more quickly. So what I would like to know from those who know is, which premium cruiser is best suitable for my purposes, and also fun to play? I kinda tend towards the Atlanta just because it seems the most fun, but I kinda suspect it's not rationally the best choice. I read all the reviews about the Boise, the Wichita and the Indianapolis but I can't decide between them all. The Flint seems ideal but I'm not in the position to grind that one out. So some advice would be much appreciated.

Atlanta requires dedicated captain to get the most out of her, with skills you might find not that useful on CL or CA (looking at you, AFT). Also given tier 7 ships no longer have sort-of preferential matchmaking, derping around with ship that have 13km range at best might be... straining on your "fun and engaging" meter:cap_book:

On opposite, Atlanta is a blast in Narai with her gun dpm, if you like Operations.

From other ships... Boise suffer from short range as well, but can accept CL skilled captain just fine and not be handicapped. Heavy cruisers are more lenient when it comes to captain skills - they do not require IFHE to get the job done and while said skill is usually not recommended on heavies, its not a detriment either.

Thus, I'd aim for Indianapolis first and Wichita second. Or, if you can splash bit more cash OR have 1m FXP laying around, Alaska.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,255 posts
17,798 battles

Boise. Wichita is a great ship but she doesn't play like a Baltimore, so not really representative of the high tier playstyle. Boise is more forgiving, with that heal, so you can get away with a little more while learning what does and doesn't work.

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,982 battles

Boise is good - stay away from Atlanta as a trainer. She's fine in her own right but needs different skill to the Cleveland and the rest of the Silver ships. Atlanta is brilliant in Operations.

Don't have Wichita, don't recommend Indianapolis, she's a big citadel.

There is always the Salem for Coal, but she's not too good as a trainer for the Baltimore or Buffalo. She's closer to the Light Cruiser line because of her rate of fire.

Edited by Cambera_1
Adding Content
  • Cool 1

Players
4,566 posts
7,604 battles
2 hours ago, PsychoClownfish said:

I am currently grinding my way up the US cruiser lines, both of them. I am currently close to unlocking the Cleveland, and am half way to the New Orleans. But both lines make it clear to me I need more gameplay experience then is purely required for the ship XP, and so I decided to get a trainer in tier 7/8............

Since you've already got captains in the T7 ships, why not just buy a permanent cammo for the 2 ships and just stay there until you are ready to move up to T8+?

Players
130 posts
7,185 battles

So many good replies, awesome, thank you guys for the swift comments. I have at least decided to let Atlanta be, it's something I hadn't thought of but she does need a lot of points in BFT and AFT, and that basically dictates a dedicated captain, which defeats the purpose.

So it's basically between Boise and Wichita. I have considered higher tiers like Alaska, but I basically still suck at playing tiers 9 and 10, and I hate being a burden to the team. It's bad enough if I get uptiered to 9 in the Helena, but I am not yet ready to make that my home. 

• Cool 2

Players
130 posts
7,185 battles
2 hours ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Trainer ? Every ship class needs his own perks. So ex. Wichita captain will be not compatibile with light US cruisers. If You have 19 skill captain on any ship, You can grind free captain XP without need for any premium ships. If You want one, just buy them for fun.

edit. You already have one ot the easiest cruiser to play, which is Atago. To have much better results in her, You should have fast ammo swapping captain perk and use AP, when close to enemy broadside cruisers.

And I love the Atago, and I play her a fair bit, AND user her to get captain skills in other Japanese ships... but I can't use her for the US lines of ships can I?

As for the 'for fun' advice, that's a good point.

Modder
4,878 posts
22,506 battles
4 minutes ago, PsychoClownfish said:

And I love the Atago, and I play her a fair bit, AND user her to get captain skills in other Japanese ships... but I can't use her for the US lines of ships can I?

You can grind 19 points captain on her and then all extra commander points will go to free commander XP,  which can be used on boosting other commanders, no matter a nation. So trainer ships are no longer needed.

Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
12 minutes ago, PsychoClownfish said:

So many good replies, awesome, thank you guys for the swift comments. I have at least decided to let Atlanta be, it's something I hadn't thought of but she does need a lot of points in BFT and AFT, and that basically dictates a dedicated captain, which defeats the purpose.

So it's basically between Boise and Wichita. I have considered higher tiers like Alaska, but I basically still suck at playing tiers 9 and 10, and I hate being a burden to the team. It's bad enough if I get uptiered to 9 in the Helena, but I am not yet ready to make that my home. 

There is no shortage of players having concerns whether they have skills needed to be successful in hightiers, so while you holding back is noble thing, you're kinda handicapping yourself with "get tier 7-8 premium ship now and then maybe tier 9 later", when you can get T9 prem (if you can afford it or get for free currencies sooner than later) from get go and essentially skip all the lower tier ships unless you want them for sake of want.

Also Alaska is one of the best ships you can buy without entering lootbox territory

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
280 posts
6,940 battles

Furthermore T9 is usually a much more forgiving MM than T8 which gets thrown constantly into T10 games anyways

• Bad 1

Players
130 posts
7,185 battles
13 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

You can grind 19 points captain on her and then all extra commander points will go to free commander XP,  which can be used on boosting other commanders, no matter a nation. So trainer ships are no longer needed.

Fair enough, I get what you mean. I was thinking more along the lines of grinding captains by playing them in more than one ship, like I do with the Atago. But your suggestion would certainly work.

Players
130 posts
7,185 battles
1 minute ago, Zieten said:

Furthermore T9 is usually a much more forgiving MM than T8 which gets thrown constantly into T10 games anyways

LOL if you say so. It doesn't often feel that way to me! :Smile_veryhappy:

Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
Just now, PsychoClownfish said:

LOL if you say so. It doesn't often feel that way to me! :Smile_veryhappy:

Tier 9 can't see tier 11 yet

Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
Just now, PsychoClownfish said:

Now you're just scaring me.

WG probably will overbuff Legendary Upgrades to justify releasing them via Research Bureau, thus there is chance you will turn your T10 ship into effectively T11. So poor sods in tier 8 boats will have even more fun facing such ship:cap_book:

[-TPF-]
Players
4,255 posts
17,798 battles
12 minutes ago, Panocek said:

There is no shortage of players having concerns whether they have skills needed to be successful in hightiers, so while you holding back is noble thing, you're kinda handicapping yourself with "get tier 7-8 premium ship now and then maybe tier 9 later", when you can get T9 prem (if you can afford it or get for free currencies sooner than later) from get go and essentially skip all the lower tier ships unless you want them for sake of want.

Also Alaska is one of the best ships you can buy without entering lootbox territory

Is Salem worth the coal, if the point is to test out higher tier gameplay?

Sign in to follow this