Xhabalanque

Theory about dive bombing with Graf Zeppelin

13 comments in this topic

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,673 battles

Hello Captains, I have been bored at work and my mind wondered of. 

As poably all of you know almost nobody is fond of the GZ dive bombers and the results are usually a mixed bag. at least to me they don't feel that inaccurate at least when the aircraft are just coming out of the dive. Große Currywurst, Musashi and Yamato are all easy enough to due to their size but why do we keep splashing so often. 

If we do bomb bow to Stern or vise versa we gonna just dump the payload into the ocean because the distance between the aircraft because they keep flying parallel to each other. So we drop broadside on and get mixed results as well. 

Sometimes I hit both, sometimes they just bounce over pen and more often overshoot the target. 

And splash behind it. 

Just throw some math at the problem. 

My HMS example is 130m long and 21 m wide so already a big shop. The aircraft is going at about 200 knots in the example. 

If 1 knot is 1,852 km/h the aircraft is going at 370km/h that is 102,88m/secound.

That means that I have 0,2secound to drop at the target at all 0,1 if want to hit anything important. 

I didn't regard the distance for the bbers for this part yet, simply because I don't know the exact distance. 

What happens when I try do bom diagonally at 45 degrees. 

a^2+b^2=c^2

The result (and I fear I have lost a battle with my calculator here) is 131m half, that for sweets spot and we have a distance of 65,84m 

or 0,64 of a second to release the bombs. 

Though I need a bigger sample size than just a few battles and this might not work with every ship (probably those which are very slim to begin with) 

Could you test out if that holds any water? And I am not advocating that the dive bombers are good but I think they are a little bit more usable than their reputation suggests. 

Penetration probably has to be regulated with aircraft speed alone :P

I can add grafics if there needs to be, though I need to be home for that first. 

[N0RSE]
Players
186 posts
15,215 battles

Speed is very important when you dive-bomb with Graf Zeppelin. You can go full speed towards the ship, but slow down exactly when you start the dive. This way, the bombs won't fly all over the place.

[MORIA]
Players
7,685 posts
38,117 battles
On 2/1/2020 at 1:44 AM, Sunleader said:

No. Just No.

Not gonna bother with that lol xD

Whaaat? I thought you know everything about GZ.... 

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,673 battles

Have tried it yesterday. Most cruisers are just not wide enough for it to work, so it has to be done broadside on anyway. Got a good quota on bbs though 8/10 were on target though this sample size is far to small to be of any relevancy. 

• Cool 1

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,673 battles

876555442_ScreenshotWows.thumb.png.5b958df9d9011a200cf01bff6b5ffdc4.png

Seems to be working well enough for me. Though hitting cruisers is still hard.

Not great but sometimes there is a ship hiding behind an island so give em afew of these eggs to think about. They are almost free anyway.

[LEGIO]
Players
149 posts
4 hours ago, Xhabalanque said:

876555442_ScreenshotWows.thumb.png.5b958df9d9011a200cf01bff6b5ffdc4.png

Seems to be working well enough for me. Though hitting cruisers is still hard.

Not great but sometimes there is a ship hiding behind an island so give em afew of these eggs to think about. They are almost free anyway.

Hitting cruisers are easier than the quick turning Destroyers.

[DK]
Players
258 posts
1,947 battles
On 2/5/2020 at 10:49 PM, Xhabalanque said:

@LadyJess What is your point ?

It does seem to work, interesting… they still need to be buffed.

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,673 battles

Had a dozen matches with her yesterday my best final score was 18 bombs dropped 12 hits 5cits and a kill on a dd with less than 1200hp left :P

My favourite target to drop on is so far the Moskva. US BBs I haven't quite figured out yet. 

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,306 battles

The problem with GZ dive bombers is that even if the were reliable (which they aren't) they are hardly worth using

You only deal a maximum of 14k damage per drop when even the T6 Ryujo can manage 12.2k with higher reliability

most of the time you will only get 1 or 2 drops off

even in the best case scenario your overall damage is quite low for T8

meanwhile you rockets are basically Tiny Tims (weaker but you get more of them) making them extremely useful, but they are limited by the planes that carry them

your torpedoes are decent at best but you drop 3 of them and your torpedo bombers are very fast

No matter how you spin it the DB just aren't that good and you could propably achieve better results by focusing on the rockets and torpedoes

I really wish WG would do something about these bombers :/

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,673 battles

That isnt even an argument that I am wanting to make I get that they are weak , though I dont think they are as bad than everybody thinks. I get that they should proably hit ike 11k each instead of just 7 . Though I dont own an Enterprse I still find them easier to use than the HE bombs on Kaga or the AP bombs on Shokaku though I am getting more used to them. I am getting better with all of them, the thing is in the GZ your onl reason to use them is when you dont can affort to lose any topr bombers orsomebody is hidng somewhere where you cannot get with the former mentioned bombers. My hit quata for cits is still way higher than for my Tirpitz/Bismarck.