Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Herbstnebel1975

Advice needed cause the misery continues

20 comments in this topic

Players
125 posts
6,792 battles

As the previous topic received a locker I start a new one. I mentioned already that I'm on some or what kind of defeatlist for unknown reason. Maybe it's all cause of my playstyle, who shall say :-) .

Here you can find 2 links of my last and only battles of today.  Please tell me what went wrong, the team, my playstyle, wrong ammo....or just a loss on forehand to pleasure the guys of the opponentteam.

• Cool 5

[-AS-]
Players
731 posts

It's good that you've come here to learn. I've watched the first 3 minutes so far.

I've spotted:

mini map too small. Press + to make it bigger

Option for ship names being displayed on mini map not turned on.

You are in a top tier BB and yet your opening gambit is to sail at the back. Heading up closer to the islands in the middle would have been better.

Your aiming. Looks like you need a bit of practice at adjusting your aim up or down a bit depending on whether they are sailing towards or away from you and whether they are going to turn in our out. That should come with time.

You are scroll zooming. I've remapped the space bar on my keyboard to toggle zoom in or out fully. Use that instead of scrolling with the mouse wheel.

I may add more things as I see them...

edit:

After the first kill you headed for the south east corner of the map. As a top tier BB it would have been better if you'd stayed in the middle.

At 8.23 you didn't check to see if your shots would clear the friendly crusier in front of you before you shot.

Also you are not fully zooming out and checking what's going on around you between shots.

At the start of the battle you could have asked your team mates to hang around your cap and focus on any enemies that get spotted approaching.

Further edit, your aim is fine later in the first battle.

Edit 2nd battle, first 5 minutes. You are not zooming out properly between shots. You are too focused on the first ship you started shooting at. Otherwise you'd have stuck to AP and punished that broadside BB at 5.20.

Also, you are in a top tier BB and you are heading towards the southwest corner.

Edit: at 9.16 in the 2nd battle it looks like there's a ship broadside to you that pops into view on the left of you screen. You have AP loaded. It's ready to be paddled. And yet you keep your focus on the ship that you've been shooting at and is now angled properly towards you.

Also, as a general comment you want to try to set up positions so that the enemy is in a crossfire. In both battles you've not even tried to get yourself into a crossfire position.

And I can't see the names of the ships above them in your main battle screen! What's going on? You need to identify ships to know how best to deal with them.

So far you haven't mastered the basics of this game because you haven't mastered the controls and the interfaceL zooming and looking around and the mini map. Nor ammo choice, nor where to go at the start of the battle.

Master the basics and your win rate should get up to 60% if you play most your battles in the ships you do best in.

• Cool 6

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,295 battles

To add to Lin3's points;

Use appropriate ammo - you were lucky the two cruisers you killed were Kumas since your HE can citadel them. You can't however citadel armoured cruisers or BB with your HE, which is why you took significantly longer to kill them, even when they were flat broadside.

If you have the opportunity to kill DD, take it ESPECIALLY if you happen to have HE already loaded. You spot the DD, it's flat broadside and close, you have HE loaded, you line up the shot.......... and choose to shoot the armoured cruiser instead.

Don't spend some much time zoomed in. Near the end there's an enemy DD right next you you, but you're zoomed in and firing HE at a BB instead.

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
28,257 posts
14,932 battles

Thank you for supplying the replays as videos, makes it easier to watch.

1st battle:

• defeatist title
  • too passive opening move and too passive play the whole match, you have to tank more and earlier for your team
  • use alternative battle interface
  • improve aiming
  • use AP vs broadside cruisers
  • when you have HE loaded, used it vs DD, especially when they are the closest target!

2nd battle:

• stop blaming others
  • wasting time with chatting in a slow BB, instead of sailing forward, twice!
  • again too passive approach, you have to tank more and earlier in a BB, that is your job
  • watch your teammates, especially CV, they cannot steer well
  • aiming was bad again, you need a crosshair with a horizon and a scale, that also displays the flight time of your shells
  • more focus fire, you are changing targets without reason
  • USE AP! shooting HE vs broadside targets is an insult against your guns
  • too much sniping from 18km+, get closer!

Try to coordinate with your team, set focus targets. Playing silent and using your keyboard only for complaining is not the best approach in a MMO.

• Cool 5

Players
2,650 posts
11,390 battles
20 minutes ago, Herbstnebel1975 said:

1) Being a downer in chat. Always great for team morale to have some [edited] writing in chat about the game being loss when the game even began for any variety of reason, including stupid one like yours :cap_like:

2) Choosing to shoot the sailing angled away from you instead of the one showing broadside, even though the broadside BB has yet to completely reverse into cover. Could have citadelled that one.

3) Shooting HE at a BB showing your perfect broadside. Maybe the 1st salvo is still somewhat excusable, but definitely not the follow up salvos. Should have used AP. Learn to change ammo appropriately instead of sticking to only HE after you fail to deal any damage using AP. The reason you failed to do damage with AP is because of your poor aiming and poor target selection.

4) Top tier BB+ in a pretty slow BB. Learn to move forward and tank damage for your team instead of camping at the back behind them. Basically make yourself more useful the team. Your accuracy will improve as well.

5) Learn to read the minimap. The right flank is lost, yet you are not going back to help defend the cap. Instead you decide again to be a [edited] in chat. One thing that is clear is that YOU are part of the reason why the team is losing, not MM or WG. Basically you are not pulling your weight. Again great for team morale :cap_like: The reason why some people should be chat banned as well. Watching further, I would add that you are the noob. At least the rest of your team has the brain to try to defend the cap. Meanwhile you sail to the map border like there is alot of glue for you to sniff over there and stay stuck there.

6) Why the heck do you even push when you shouldn't be pushing?  Do you think that it is a good idea to sandwich yourself between 2 BBs? What were you expecting to get out of it?

Overall I would say that it was a very, very poor play. Good that you're willing to learn though. 

a) Shut your mouth and just play if you have nothing constructive to say while playing. No one need a smart-[edited]who isn't even that smart in the first place.

b) If you're gonna be switching between HE and AP, then learn to pick your target according to your ammo. Also learn how to lead and aim better.

c) Don't stick to just one target. You were focusing most of your game on that New York. 

d) Learn to use the minimap and adjust your play accordingly. Don't be permanently stuck in bino view also. Game doesn't revolve around you shooting something. Its the objective.

e) Avoid staying too far behind or sailing to the border and or along the border. You make yourself useless to the team and can't contribute meaningfully.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
496 posts
6,370 battles

Wow, pra3y, lambasting someone for being an [edited], while being a total [edited]yourself. How self righteous.

OP, good on you for asking here and posting you losses instead of humble bragging ("oh, only got a kraken, must be doing something wrong"). That said, the main points have been made (pra3y has some good ones too).

I'd even go as far as to say, don't get anymore advice right now. Change the mini map, the crosshair, bind zoom to a key and don't spend any time at all zoomed in (don't wait to see your shots fly uuuuuup, fly dooooown and splaaaaash). Work on tactical awareness, experiment and then come back and post a few more, better replays and get the next tips.

I am a very mediocre player myself, but I think map, crosshair and tactical awareness will net you a huge result already. 

Good luck and have fun!

O7

[NHSOS]
Players
126 posts
3,150 battles

I see only the 1st video

u have problem with internet. -35 ping is unplayable.

go settings-control and enable full info, use dynamic crosshair.

enlarge minimap (+++) and use full potential of it.

learn your guns. play 10 coop games before use any ship in random. try HE and AP in various situations. learn to switch them as needed.  

I take a look at your stats. How someone have play about 4700 random battles without using the full help from the game? Orion is your favor ship but u use the guns poorly. u have experience in those tiers but you dont carry your team.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,141 posts
9,500 battles
7 minutes ago, Agis_D said:

That shows when you record it from a replay.

@ OP

1st video:

Cant stretch this often enough: Your priorties are totaly upside down. You shoot BBs over Cruisers, and Cruisers over DDs. It needs to be DD > Cruiser > BB. Especially if you have HE loaded. Even Orion profits if you switch to AP occasionally. Against CLs, ok you can citadel them. But against broadside BBs? Might aswell go for AP.

2nd video:

You are on the strong flank. You are toptier BB. You start shooting HE. And you go to the mapborder with the slowest T7 BB. Those were free citadels left and right, and you didnt take them. Also, you aim way too high when you have AP loaded against broadside BBs. you are lucky you get 1 on the KGV. I dont get citadels shooting midhigh at enemy BBs :cap_tea:

• Cool 6

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
24 minutes ago, Agis_D said:

I'm always at ping 35-50ms. How would that be unplayable?

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,253 battles

Replay 1:

Spoiler

-Your minimap is way too small. Press + a few times in battle to get it to size.

-You're missing out on information. Go to your settings and set "Alternative Interface" to full.

-AP is the standard munition for BBs, HE is for shooting angled Battleships or DDs.

-User RMB (free look) when you want to watch planes.

You keep turning the part that goes bang away from the enemy to watch planes, allies or enemies way outside your range.

-You only turned your guns after that Kuma got spotted again when it was clear that he would be spotted.

You could have had your guns on him and AP loaded the second he popped up.

-The Kuma turned in (possibly to dodge torpedos) but you shot as if he kept going straight

-A DD was spotted coming towards you while you were busy ogling the Kuma next to you.

If that Kuma rams you that a couple dozen HP at most. Ignore him. Pay attention to the enemy and blap that DD.

-Don't shoot the St. Louis shoot the DD. That's the biggest danger to you.

-Why were you looking at the Kuma again. There are torpedo in the water and they are probably aimed at you.

-Turn into torpedoes, not away from them. It increases your chances to dodge.

-Why were you shooting a BB at 14km when there was a cruiser, which was closer and threatening the flank of your allies ?

In fact there was a push coming into the flank of your allies and threatening your cap. That should have been your priority. Look at the Minimap!

-Why did you shoot the Gangut ? The cruiser was closer, your guns would have turned for him earlier and she explodes much more easily.

-After shooting the Gangut you should have aimed at the DD in front of you that was hunting your CV. Again: Minimap!

-AP mate. Learn to use your 2-key.

-There was a DD behind you. The Gangut can't 1-shot you unless you give broadside. The DD can force you to do that or torp you to death.

Not gonna ask you to notice a push like that coming sooner and react to it in something as slow as a super-dreadnought because the ship just doesn't have the speed.
But your situational awareness is very much lacking.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

I agree to most others. Looked at the sec video. Skipped a lot. As others have mentioned - too passive at start - no use of all your healing abilities and can't support the rest of the team well enough that far back. Push in a make them focus you, but make sure to have an escape route, engage and push in again depending on how much health your at, or fall back a bit if you get low. Have better awareness of how the battle is going. You lose the other flank and don't have the advantage on your side to cap? Don't go for the border, turn back and defend against their push instead.

• Cool 1

[-AS-]
Players
731 posts

If you have a headset and Discord (it's free) and you see me in game, ping me and I'll be happy to division with you and to talk you through as much as I can. Explaining a few basics of what I'm doing and why.

• Cool 1

[FIFO]
Beta Tester
435 posts
1,644 battles

I personally think using AP as your primary ammo would have given you more total damage and possibly killed off targets quicker, as a cruiser player I know that AP can paddle a cruiser from almost any distance and angle and a single lucky hit can cut my health in half...showing broadside to a battleship inside of 10KM should be an instant death sentence for a cruiser when facing a solid BB player.

target selection, you want to remove firepower ASAP, as such it is generally better to go for DD's and CA's first, as torps and rapid fire guns can chew through HP fast, while these ships can usually be killed in a few salvo's themselves. you ignored DD's a few times while having HE loaded, while these torpedoboats can inflict devastating damage to you or your team. Damage on these targets also tends to "stick" as only tier 8-10's have access to healing skills (there may be a few exceptions by now, but in general T7 and below cruisers and DD's won't heal), making the damage more valuable.

battleships have big guns, heavy armor and the ability to heal their considerable HP pool of most minor damage, it is important to get these assets into play as soon as possible. Your current playstyle seems too defensive, now there is a balance to be struck here, battleships are also slow and generally need time to recover, so you need an point of engagement where you can attack and take heat but not too much at once. and the "taking heat" is only useful if you have allies nearby that can use you as a distraction, or you are sure that you will get out of the exchange with the ability to heal most of the damage done to you..if going for a 1 v 1 slugging match. just to be clear...being more agressive does not mean you yolo in and eat a bow full of torps in the first 5 minutes.

battleships tend to get "stuck" on a flank because they are so slow, but do keep eyes on the minimap to see opportunities to avoid getting flanked or getting flanks in yourself, armor becomes a lot less powerful when a full broadside is shown..this goes for enemy ships but for you as well. this is however a lot harder for battleships to do compared to destroyers or cruisers, and even then relocating takes a very large chunk of time. this is more in relation to the second game where your other flank was pretty much abandoned and you pushed into the 3 enemy battleships in front of you. you seemed to both miss the impending flank  as you would get shot from your base and the front at the same time, and failed to realize that the enemy that was showing pretty much full broadside could be badly hurt for that mistake.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,364 posts
25,123 battles
9 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

• when you have HE loaded, used it vs DD, especially when they are the closest target!

Nope, you got it wrong here too. 

The target choice is always DD/CV > CC > BB, no matter if you have HE or AP loaded, unless you have a perfect broadside target close when you have AP loaded.

The reason is that the DD and CV will go back to stealth as soon as possible, and you may miss the only chance in that battle to take them out. 

Players
3,020 posts

Didn't watch the replays, no reason to since other people grasped what's the gist of it. Here my 2 cents for what is worth. When you are frustrated play co op. Dont load another game after frustrating defeat. When you think your team is bad, then you need to be better. And lastly, assume you are all alone every game. There's no team in randoms. They are meatshields. Stay alive, and try to ruin what the enemy team is doing. Use ships you know. Again, DON't play frustrated, I lost 38 games in a row in one of my greatest fits of fury sometime back :) You will improve wit time or not at all, important thing is to enjoy game. Cheers o7

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
20 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

...I lost 38 games in a row in one of my greatest fits of fury sometime back :) ...

Really..? Are you sure that really happened? I get that this isn't a brag, but 38 in a row is very unlikely.

Players
218 posts
13,263 battles

- Failed to shoot at a  DD that was less than 10km away from you and you had HE reloaded. Right in front of you. Instead u shot a cruiser. You also wasted a complete salvo on the same target when you could've used one or two turrets on that target or leave it for others. Wasted shots.

- Know that Colorado has 16 inch guns that overmatch everything T7 and below. Don't use HE with it unless you have very high probability of those shells landing on DDs. Have knowledge of your own and enemies ships armor profiles and guns.

- You are not efficient with your guns. It toke you several seconds to aim and shoot on multiple occasion. This is poor performance. It is same like having guns with 40 second reload. Once BB guns are loaded the shell are out of the barrels immediately unless holding those shots for a target that is about to broadside you. 

- Many slow broadsiding targets that you failed to shoot in Colorado game. Select your targets better. You won't see these kind of things in constant sniper mode.

- Don't repair 1 fire when you are at brawling distance. You had full HP and you repaired one fire and then toke on several fires.

- Learn to brawl and anticipate situations.

- In brawling with Nagato you had your rear guns aiming at the wrong side. If you are doing a bypass have your guns start aiming 90 degrees to the side 5km before you pass the target. 

- You failed to shoot at citadel. You aim too high.

- You had the opportunity to shoot at Nagato with you rear guns after passing it. Failed to use that opportunity. 

- In colorado game you were on the aggressive side and failed to push when you had huge advantage in numbers. 

What you made right is to come ask for help. We ain't gonna sugarcoat this so don't get offended but learn. Your stats show you are "below average" so don't go blame WG or MM or teams for this. You play BB in a typical way and that means others have to carry you instead of you carrying your own weight and more. 90% of BB players place themselves at the bottom of scoreboards. Reasons often are overall poor performance and never learning the game.

You have a lot to learn and you can only get better by learning. You stay in the rear while others take the hits. You miss opportunities and you run away when you should be the dude kicking [edited].

A good BB players poses a constant threat to enemy team. He uses his HP, armor, heals and tanks for his team. You barely used heals. Find the right range at right moments to be at to have the best balance between being a threat and surviving for long.

One huge thing that separates good BBs from bad is reading the game and situation. Unicums read the game and know when they are supposed to be playing defensive and keeping range.

They know when they should run away and delay enemy. And in a heartbeat that they can change from defensive to assaulting BB. They don't just kite away and run but can turn around and close in for a kill.

Best BBs breakthrough enemy lines and are the tip of the spear. Best BBs rout enemies and make them run. Bad BBs join the attack when the best BB is already 15km in front of them and has destroyed and routed the enemy.

Its about efficiency. You need to be very efficient in many areas.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,257 posts
14,932 battles
4 hours ago, 22cm said:

Nope, you got it wrong here too. 

The target choice is always DD/CV > CC > BB, no matter if you have HE or AP loaded, unless you have a perfect broadside target close when you have AP loaded.

The reason is that the DD and CV will go back to stealth as soon as possible, and you may miss the only chance in that battle to take them out. 

I did not say he should not use AP vs DD.

I was just pointing out that he had a perfect opportunity and missed it.

• Cool 2

[NHSOS]
Players
126 posts
3,150 battles
17 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

I'm always at ping 35-50ms. How would that be unplayable?

I see -35 not 35.

Sign in to follow this