You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nufessa

Hawkins Best Sealclubber

21 comments in this topic

[_IRN_]
Players
87 posts
4,013 battles

Some days ago i received the hawkins by bundle and didn't notice how powerful the armor on this ship is: practically it is a mini battleship with 190mm guns. So i decided to give it a try and the result is astonishing: i can easily brawl with bbs without being scratched. Most of my enemies just exploded full broadside salvos to find a trollish surprise (38 mm bow). The strange thing is that other RN CAs don't have this armor scheme, it is only a peculiarity of this ship. Suggest you to give it a try.

shot-20.01.31_11.20.54-0879.jpg

shot-20.01.31_11.20.57-0978.jpg

shot-20.01.31_11.21.01-0825.jpg

20200131_110312_PBSC205-Hawkins_10_NE_big_race.wowsreplay

shot-20.01.31_11.23.20-0162.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[KTS]
Alpha Tester
1,004 posts
11,774 battles

i have to admit that it seems to me also a great ship, but i prefer the furritako

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,045 posts

There is only one ship in that line worth a damn and its T10, as its usually the way it is in this game

[-TPF-]
Players
4,248 posts
17,736 battles
34 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

There is only one ship in that line worth a damn and its T10, as its usually the way it is in this game

Nothing wrong with Albemarle. Hawkins looks a decent cruiser but she can be blatted easily, as with any Tier V. 

• Funny 1

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,307 battles

The RN CA heal also heals 50% of citadel damage iirc

this means that Hawkins can actually come back from being citadelled when other cruisers would be crippled

for a tier 5 cruiser this is pretty strong 

the heal in general gives you so much sustain, it it kind of dirty

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[JRM]
Players
7,045 posts

I m sure that 50% cit heal will be helpfoul when the Sharn  Lyon  Poltava and rest of them devstrike you becouse you had to go to 12km from them to engage them... :cap_book:

• Cool 1

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,307 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Yedwy sagte:

I m sure that 50% cit heal will be helpfoul when the Sharn  Lyon  Poltava and rest of them devstrike you becouse you had to go to 12km from them to engage them... :cap_book:

Yes, Hawkins still gets devstruck

she is a tier 5 cruiser afterall

the difference is that Hawkins is tankier than any other tier 5 cruiser that isn't the Furutaka

and Hawkins has more effective HP than the Furutaka

Hawkins is a tier 5 cruiser and like all tier 5 cruisers tier 7 BBs will obliterate her

but among tier 5 cruisers Hawkins has unrivaled tankiness as well as the second biggest guns 

for a tier 5 cruiser she is pretty good

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
7,045 posts

Dont think T6 and T5 wont obliterate her as well it will just take them one more salvo

• Cool 1

Players
3,092 posts
17,537 battles

Played only a few games and it's not a bad ship, but rather boring.

Long and mid range play suffers from insanely low dpm and floaty shells, but at close range it can be a monster.

26 minutes ago, MagicMooby said:

Hawkins is a tier 5 cruiser and like all tier 5 cruisers tier 7 BBs will obliterate her

If bow in and close range, how do you suggest they obliterate it?  Not even Yamato AP can overmatch 38 mm.

At longer ranges I would expect citadels even through the bow, since the 38 mm plate sits very low in the water.

• Cool 1

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,307 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, GulvkluderGuld sagte:

Played only a few games and it's not a bad ship, but rather boring.

Long and mid range play suffers from insanely low dpm and floaty shells, but at close range it can be a monster.

If bow in and close range, how do you suggest they obliterate it?  Not even Yamato AP can overmatch 38 mm.

At longer ranges I would expect citadels even through the bow, since the 38 mm plate sits very low in the water.

This was mostly in response to Yedwys post

all tier 5 cruisers suffer against BBs due to their short range and the fact that they get overmatched

I actually believe that Hawkins suffers the least in such a situation 

she is tanky, has a heal and heals 50% citadel damage

as far as survivability is concerned, Furutaka is the only techtree cruiser that gets close to Hawkins

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
7,045 posts

In this game short range on the cruiser guns is a death sentence, except for CB (where the same applies most of the time as well albeit for a different reason) due to the fact there are 5-6 BBs in every match, I got the T6 from a token crate, its a wonderfoul cruiser to play, right up to the moment 3 BBs zero in on you and then is goodbye mr Bond

[_IRN_]
Players
87 posts
4,013 battles
6 minuti fa, Yedwy ha scritto:

In this game short range on the cruiser guns is a death sentence, except for CB (where the same applies most of the time as well albeit for a different reason) due to the fact there are 5-6 BBs in every match, I got the T6 from a token crate, its a wonderfoul cruiser to play, right up to the moment 3 BBs zero in on you and then is goodbye mr Bond

38mm bow is a fact, she also has 41mm upper belt if i remember. It's coated in strong armor, at close range not even 460 can destroy it. For other english cruisers i saw that armor is trash, dunno why Hawkins is so differently tanky 

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
2 hours ago, Nufessa said:

Some days ago i received the hawkins by bundle and didn't notice how powerful the armor on this ship is: practically it is a mini battleship with 190mm guns. So i decided to give it a try and the result is astonishing: i can easily brawl with bbs without being scratched. Most of my enemies just exploded full broadside salvos to find a trollish surprise (38 mm bow). The strange thing is that other RN CAs don't have this armor scheme, it is only a peculiarity of this ship. Suggest you to give it a try.

shot-20.01.31_11.20.54-0879.jpg

shot-20.01.31_11.20.57-0978.jpg

shot-20.01.31_11.21.01-0825.jpg

shot-20.01.31_11.23.20-0162.jpg

only 4 games...to few to call anything out of it

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,307 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Nufessa sagte:

38mm bow is a fact, she also has 41mm upper belt if i remember. It's coated in strong armor, at close range not even 460 can destroy it. For other english cruisers i saw that armor is trash, dunno why Hawkins is so differently tanky 

it's tanky because it does have a huge citadel

Devonshire for example has less armor but compared to Hawkins her citadel is tiny

• Cool 1

[_IRN_]
Players
87 posts
4,013 battles
2 minuti fa, veslingr ha scritto:

only 4 games...to few to call anything out of it

Who said anything about stats? It was only the description of a pleasant surprise

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
4 minutes ago, Nufessa said:

Who said anything about stats? It was only the description of a pleasant surprise

it is not about stats, it is about having more games in it before final judgement 

[_IRN_]
Players
87 posts
4,013 battles
6 minuti fa, veslingr ha scritto:

it is not about stats, it is about having more games in it before final judgement 

Well as said previously it was s judgement on how i feel the ship (for now) and on the fact that it has strong armor (which can't be debated). If my judgement will change it will be only for trashy MM i guess 😂

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,307 battles
Vor 15 Minuten, Procrastes sagte:

Question: How does the Exeter stand in relation to the Hawkins?

Far less tanky and the heal is worse but with better guns that have 2km more range and a better turret layout

she also has about 2km less detectability range

Exeter is pretty good for a tier 5, the heal gives her a huge amount of effective hp and with 203mm guns she can easily blap other cruisers

Edited by MagicMooby
added concealment
  • Cool 1

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,307 battles

I forgot to add: Exeter has improved engine power so she accelerates very quickly

Exeter is better at kiting and long range harassment

Hawkins biggest strenght is its tankiness

it can bounce AP and at close range in particular HE and SAP will simply shatter on her belt

I only got the Hawkins yesterday so I haven't taken her into random battles yet

but to me she seems like a pretty solid ship if you compare her to the other tier 5 cruisers

the short range definitely hurts when uptiered

I'm propably not going to play her much since I already have Devonshire and I'm currently training my captain on her

• Cool 1

[R7S]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
256 posts
12,703 battles
On 1/31/2020 at 11:39 AM, Nufessa said:

You would have  had no chance if we met in that battle  me in a  konigsberg, omaha or its premium clones or furutaka for instance.

Hawkins is total crap, only advantage is armor and heal apparently. Low maneuverability , mediocre guns. You indeed had a nice games, but I remember having same kind of games with tiers 4 phoenix for instance with over 100K damage.

I am actually "manually" grinding the UK heavy cruiser branch and i'm suffering every match I play with this sh*t.

Dont lure people into thinking they'll seal club in that crap. Or just *dont* seal club whatever.

• Cool 1