You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Harvin87

What is a "decent" winning %?

137 comments in this topic

[-R-F-]
Players
87 posts
2,240 battles

Hello fellow captains,

I'm new to the game, 350 more or less battles with a 48% winning rate... I'm just starting and I feel I still got years of learning so I was wondering, what is a "decent" winning %?

Thank you.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,268 posts
17,842 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Anything >50% means you're having positive influence on the match.

Unless you're playing an Aircraft Carrier. In which you're spoiling everything, for everyone. 

• Cool 8
  • Funny 15
  • Boring 2

Players
1,114 posts
12,656 battles

Honestly, define decent. 

Since draws exist and normally youll come accross more people that are very good at the game than across those that do absolutely nothing, the average wr is slightly below 50%- 

A realistic expected midpoint would be 49,6 percent. That being said, anything between 48 and 52% is pretty average. Of course if you are at 51% thats better than 48%, but the difference is not truly significant. 

When you start topping 52%, then youre starting to become good.

More than decent. 

Under 48% is not decent. 

• Cool 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,467 posts
20,573 battles
4 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Unless you're playing an Aircraft Carrier. In which you're spoiling everything, for everyone. 

Well yeah, that is a given. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,145 posts
5,540 battles
44 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Hello fellow captains,

I'm new to the game, 350 more or less battles with a 48% winning rate... I'm just starting and I feel I still got years of learning so I was wondering, what is a "decent" winning %?

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry about that with only 375 games played tbh..

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
442 posts
11,284 battles
42 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Hello fellow captains,

Thank you.

with 350 games I would say its alittle to early to say

but 48% is defently not bad this early

• Cool 6

Players
1,894 posts
19,442 battles

Best way to look at it is anything over 50% means your making a positive contribution. You can't win every battle but as long as your win rate is over 50% you can be pretty confident your doing something right. Considering your very new to the game your certainly onto a good start. 

On their train of thought may I offer this small bit of advice, learnt from my own mistakes. Dont rush up lines in a race to tier 10, take your time learning how to play a class of ship and also engage with its nations particular play style. There are plenty of good community contributors out there who can give useful advice. 

• Cool 3

[-AP-]
Players
2,712 posts
6,546 battles
1 hour ago, Harvin87 said:

Hello fellow captains,

Thank you.

Depends really, for 370 battles, 48% is decent, since you are new to the game.

Technically, everything north of 50% is "good" but practically, once you have learned the basics and had a few thousand games, i would consider 50% wr to be bad, at that point your wr should be around 60% to class as "good" in my mind(recent wr, not all-time, as that always lags behind)

It all depends on your situation really, a pro player can hold well above 70% wr, but a new player cant, you have to figure out where on that scale you are,  to set a realistic goal

• Cool 1

[-AS-]
Players
731 posts

A solo win rate of 60% is easy to get with a decent PC and internet connection and mastering the basics.

Where to go at the start of the battle, where the good behind island shooting spots are, what your role is in each ship, how to respond to what you see in the mini map, how to shoot, ammo selection, consumable usage, how to angle and how to dodge.

• Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,706 posts
38,404 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

He doesn't need to pay CV, on Conqueror he is the same level of annoying others and doing it well unlike most Conqueror players. 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,220 posts
14,732 battles
2 hours ago, Harvin87 said:

I'm just starting

As others have alluded to, don't get too hung up on WR early on; to expand a bit, the fewer games you have under your belt, the easier it is to get large swings (in either direction) - streaks happen, and you really need to get a big data set before you can really tell very much.

The down side of that is obvious: with a big data set, it's harder to shift your WR, if you worry about that sort of thing.

Quite a few people use this site to keep track of this stuff (and more besides): https://wows-numbers.com/

Whilst I personally don't worry about WR excessively (I'll probably always be rubbish), I do find it useful to keep at least half an eye on some of the other metrics, as they can inform what's going on with your WR e.g. if your survival rate is very low then you're missing chances to damage/sink the opposition, which in turn increases the chances of a loss, and so on. You can also see how your performance varies across ships and classes, which can also be helpful.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,290 posts
9,005 battles

Hello,

Don't worry too much about winrate at the moment. To answer your question, anything above 50% is good. It means you have a little, but some influence over the game. But you also should take into account things like PR, survivability rating, average damage in different classes etc. When you compile a broad set of data you will see what you're good at and where you can improve and if you're struggling somewhere well then ask, I'm happy to help players who are willing to learn and take my criticism.

One thing I can mention which helped me later on is learning not only about the ships I played but the ships I did not. It's important to know how to fight particular ships, if you can. Sometimes it is best to run away. Something which a lot of players struggle with, knowing when to push, hold or kite away.

Regards,

Minia

• Cool 5

Players
330 posts
8,844 battles

You've played fewer than 400 battles. Worry more about comparing yourself to how you were yesterday than comparing yourself to others. If you want a ballpark, anything above 52% over a "career" of 4000+ battles is considered pretty decent, since the majority of the playerbase is in the red in terms of what they contribute to their teams anyway.

On the micro (personal) level, I'd consider following this rule of thumb: A good player has an instinct of when he should create distance and disengage. A great player knows this, and when he should push in and capitalize on the enemy's weakness to turn around a game.

These instincts come with experience. It gets to a point eventually in which you know which side of the map is full of dumber players and exploit that early on to start steamrolls. The competition for "good player" is very low, to be honest. Much lower than it was in the past. So now it's very easy to stand above the rest by knowing very basic things other players refuse to learn.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Weekend Tester
1,121 posts

Your win rate doesn't matter too much at this point. You are pretty close to the 50% mark and at few hundred battles even luck plays a pretty big role.

More importantly, you aren't really expected to be able to carry games at this point. Almost everyone you meet is more experienced than you and even though some never really learn the game, they've had more opportunities to do so. They also have better captains, equipment etc. 

The question you need to ask is how to get better at the game and what do the good players do different from you. You're at the point you really need to start to learn the game. Ask questions, watch videos, streams and so on, people will be interested in helping. Make sure your minimap is big and has all the relevant options activated. Post replays for people to comment.

Here's the best tip ever: this is a game of positioning and anticipation, not 360 no-scope headshots. Imagine a big fat red 40% on the aiming reticle and a shiny purple 60% on the minimap. Decide which you want to be and keep your eyes on the target.

The one thing about your stats at less than 400 battles that is actually worrying is the tier distribution. You are rushing up the tiers with few ships, which means you are facing massively more experienced players and hundreds of new ships to learn. You're not giving yourself a chance to learn the game properly. The best thing to do now would be to play several different lines at low tiers, preferably all ship types (except carriers, do not taint your soul with those). Only when you start to know most of the ships and maps at a given tier at some level, and feel you're competing at an even level with the rest of the players, you should start pushing up the tiers.

• Cool 1

Players
406 posts
8,903 battles

Unless WG changes the number of players per side any time soon.  The Win Rate debate will be stagnant.

There will be nay sayers, but one or even two 55% cannot over turn the losing tide (yes, even a CV player).   With smaller player counts per side, this is more possible.

Yes, there are those perfect storm moments where the conditions are just right and the RNG is on your side, you have the right ship for the right situation, etc.  But those are very rare.  

What I will like to really drive into your mindset is this.

Please be aware of the minimap.  What does this mean? Be cognisant of the situation of the battle space, the points, and the time remaining.

• Funny 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles
7 hours ago, Lin3 said:

A solo win rate of 60% is easy to get with a decent PC and internet connection and mastering the basics.

No it is not. Three man division with 60% win? Sure.

Solo 60% is hard work, focus, and playing to win (not farming dmg etc).

• Cool 7