You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Xhabalanque

Over 7000 matches and still substandard

79 comments in this topic

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,686 battles

Ahoy Sailors, 

I come here with a little bit of an dilemma, I cannot get my win rate to about 50% 

I have made steady progress from a really bad 43% over last two years (yepp it was really that messed up) but the 50% are so close but still so far. 

My stats are openly visible though they aren't going to paint the whole picture. 

Especially in the case that I very often do lose when I am on top of the scoreboard.  with a 100k+ dmg. I mostly play tier 6 8 and 10.

My favourite ships to play with are currently Graf Zeppelin, Tirpitz, Hindenburg, Musashi and Warspite.And a few of the British mid tier cruisers. 

Have you some examples of good positioning?  I guess I am flawed in that regard. 

The hardest time for consistency I have with Große Currywurst Rot Weiß I have a lot of games in which I die with less than 10k done. And others where it climbs the the 180ties. I know the Meta has changed a lot and HE has even got worse ( getting hit for 24k of HE isn't fun at all Polk). 

Which I can do somehow easier with the Warspite. 

(I mean yesterday I had a GZ match did a 160 k dmg sunk three 21 torphits 5 citas and still lost didn't even get great caliber :k) 

What are some tipps you can give someone who has played the game so often that he doesn't notice his probably obvious mistakes anymore. 

Long Post short any advanced tipps for self anylsis? 

• Cool 11

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,948 posts
12,822 battles

Watch Flambass on youtube or twitch, he is commentating his whole mindprocess as the game goes on lately, you can learn some tips and trick watching an unicum player solve a matchup. 

• Cool 7
  • Funny 4

Players
3,431 posts

Yes the best tip ever, don't worry to much about stats, never mind what good intentions you hav ei battle, whether it be evadeing AA, angling your BB, wiggling around in your DD doing manic torp beats, RNG bad teams bad players bad ideas will all come together to make you run off down the pub instead.

Also I find with stats, once they go down, they never go back up.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 9

[JRM]
Players
7,001 posts

@OP when it comes to WR dmage is nigh irrelevant, controling the key areas of the map and taking out key targets brings the wins

• Cool 9

Modder
4,874 posts
22,440 battles
16 minutes ago, Xhabalanque said:

What are some tipps you can give someone who has played the game so often that he doesn't notice his probably obvious mistakes anymore.

On average You must do 1/3 DMG more to have positive WR. Without that any positiong, capping in solo, random game etc. is irrelevant. Your problem is low survability.

How to improve ? Watch a lot of videos, read all mechanics, analyse your replays etc.

• Cool 5

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

@Xhabalanque Hi there! I applaud your initiative here. Everyone can learn a bit.

Message me in game, if you want, and we can play some divisions and I can maybe answer some questions and give you some tips and pointers.

• Cool 13

[XTREM]
Players
4,150 posts
11,514 battles

You have to try harder, identify your misplays and try to fix them.

Remember in every game what you could have done to contribute towards the win in a better way and try to make such a play in the next game. If you fail again try until you succeed. Keep the successful plays until new flaws show themselves. Find them and iron them out. It is doable. 

Your team plays a role but your individual role is worth a lot more than you might think and so it's important to work towards that goal. 

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,015 posts
9,449 battles
4 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

You problem is low survability. 

That is probably the key factor here.

If you are dead, you cant influence the game anymore. WHen you survive longer, you have more chances to turn the table.

Other than that, post replays and we will have a look, telling you what you should change. And please dont post that 160k damage games, those are often games which you cant win anyway. Atleast not if you play solo. Thats probably the 2nd thing you need to get out of your head: A great game doesnt guarantee you getting a win. Most likely you did well, because your team did poorly, so you could profit from that.

• Cool 6

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,686 battles

@DFens_666 will do. If would remember how that with the replays works. Or are you expecting YT vid could do it either way.

Thank you all so far. Your advice is actually constructive I have learned to expect worse from most forums. 

[SHAFT]
Players
11,015 posts
9,449 battles
9 minutes ago, Xhabalanque said:

@DFens_666 will do. If would remember how that with the replays works. Or are you expecting YT vid could do it either way.

Thank you all so far. Your advice is actually constructive I have learned to expect worse from most forums. 

Nowadays, those replays get stored automatically in your game folder (unless you disable that manually). You can just upload the file here and attach them to your post where we can download them and start with our own client. Its easier/faster than recording it and uploading it to YT.

To the latter part: well, if people ask for advice, they usually get it too (might not be sugarcoated, but constructive). Only people who come whining and flaming get an equal response.

So if you are nice, we are nice too :cap_like:

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
869 posts
12,798 battles

Have you checked the wiki yet? I am a naval buff, made all sorts of assumptions based on historical reality. Well, it's not like that entirely. So check the wiki (ship profiles and the like) read this forum and get to understand game dynamics better.

Also, you have to learn to deal with brain-dead teams. I am taking that more into account and my winrate is starting to creep up. Check whether your team has any pulse before you expose yourself too much. Develop alternative game strategies based on the behaviour of your team.

Good luck and git gud :cap_like:

[PWN3D]
Beta Tester
703 posts
19,041 battles
16 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

Have you checked the wiki yet? I am a naval buff, made all sorts of assumptions based on historical reality. Well, it's not like that entirely. So check the wiki (ship profiles and the like) read this forum and get to understand game dynamics better.

Also, you have to learn to deal with brain-dead teams. I am taking that more into account and my winrate is starting to creep up. Check whether your team has any pulse before you expose yourself too much. Develop alternative game strategies based on the behaviour of your team.

Good luck and git gud :cap_like:

1 camping is either a noob or a sealclubber.

2 you are right, the game has zero to do with naval history, or specs, or experience.

[POP]
Players
637 posts
12,481 battles
2 hours ago, Xhabalanque said:

Have you some examples of good positioning?  I guess I am flawed in that regard.

To understand what is a "good" or a "bad" position, you need situational awareness. To improve your stiuational awareness you should

-Set alternative interface to full.  esc -> settings -> controls -> <lower left> Alternative interface

-Increase minimap size a few notches. Press '+' a few times

-Set ship names "on" on minimap. ctrl + mouse over the gear tab on the right uppermost corner onf the minimap.

-Set last know ship positions to "on" on from the same place

That will increase your WR by 5% right away if you haven't done them already.

• Cool 2

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,686 battles

@PeffersSure, I was checking forums, but you can only find out so much until you have to ask others if they do see it the same way or not. Youtube, Notser, Flambass, Pointy haired Jedi... In some cases even the mighty jingles though more often than not it is advice of how not to do it. ;P

[RODS]
Players
1,465 posts
7,493 battles

Follow Twitch streams

Flamu,  Flambass, Notser, Mr__Gibbins and Trenlass

(there are many more but these I like)

Look at more youtube videos

I think your main issue is map awareness,

Look at the minimap, dont be glued to your zoomed in view

Pre battle.. look at team lineups,

what ships have radar ?

Ranges of radar ?

What ships are have dangerous HE spam

What is concealment of ships ?

DD:s  ?

Torp ranges ?

Now in battle before doing anything stupid find the dangerous ships

find out where radar ships are

where are BB:s gonna crossfire ?

where are DD:s gonna torp ?

where is HE spam ?

etc.

You have a lot of ships and you already know their capabilities and weaknesses, lookup the ships you dont have and try to memorize important stats

If you get killed by some ship lookup its stats and figure out how and why he killed you

staying alive is for sure the key to doing more damage

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
6,058 posts
12,079 battles
3 hours ago, Xhabalanque said:

Ahoy Sailors, 

I come here with a little bit of an dilemma, I cannot get my win rate to about 50% 

I have made steady progress from a really bad 43% over last two years (yepp it was really that messed up) but the 50% are so close but still so far. 

My stats are openly visible though they aren't going to paint the whole picture. 

Especially in the case that I very often do lose when I am on top of the scoreboard.  with a 100k+ dmg. I mostly play tier 6 8 and 10.

My favourite ships to play with are currently Graf Zeppelin, Tirpitz, Hindenburg, Musashi and Warspite.And a few of the British mid tier cruisers. 

The hardest time for consistency I have with Große Currywurst Rot Weiß I have a lot of games in which I die with less than 10k done. And others where it climbs the the 180ties. I know the Meta has changed a lot and HE has even got worse ( getting hit for 24k of HE isn't fun at all Polk). 

(I mean yesterday I had a GZ match did a 160 k dmg sunk three 21 torphits 5 citas and still lost didn't even get great caliber :k) 

SOme good tips have already been given.

My personal tips to add in addition to (or to complement the) tips alraedy here, I'd advice you to watch some vids of some of the best streamers in a language you can understand (which in your case should at least be English).

Flamu is a favorite of mine as he is a good player and he is known to speak his mind when he plays. If he has a speciality which most other streamers (and certainly most players) seem to lack, it would be Flamu's great positioning. He knows where to be and when. And he knows how to read the minimap.

Obviously it will help if you know which exact ships can overmatch which other exact ships. But this is not needed to become >50%. I don't even know which ships can overmatch which ships and my winrate has basically never been below 50% (except once it dropped below 50% when I had like 50 or 100 battles in total lol).

Flamu has some good vids on youtube. Personally I like the Iowa one but it is kinda dated by now.

There are some other good streamers out there and Flamu certainly has his own quirks (he can be a bit salty at some times, but overall he is very reasonable and he will seek mistakes within his onw gameplay instead of trying to blame something else and imo this shows character. And stuff like this you can also learn from.

Another tip is to div up! Especially with 1 or 2 reasonably good players, it will make your winrate go up.

This may not necessarily be THE best tip ever for to increase your winrate, but you tried for a long time and have played almost as many battles as I have, so at some point you need to try something new.

Divving up will help your winrate go up in a perhaps somewhat artificial way BUT it will also help improve your gameplay as you have people with you that you can learn stuff from :fish_book:

Anyway, here are 2 of my humble suggestions :cat_cool:

Players
2,369 posts
4 hours ago, Xhabalanque said:

Ahoy Sailors, 

Buddy... If you start badly and it takes a while for you to understand the game, or like me I didn't listen to sound advice from fellow forumites who knew better, your Win Rate will only improve as you do and it will improve slowly compared to other players. If you've suffered many defeats there is much to claw back before you break the magic 50%...

But, if you think 43% is bad think again.. I was at below 36% at one point and did I know it...

Some games you will not win even if you play spectacularly and some you'll win without effort.

I was told in the past that the WR will go up eventually, it just takes longer with such a poor start, but as you get better it evens out.

Personally, I just aim for the next % up so I am currently working on reaching 48%..

If you monitor your performance weekly you'll get a better idea of your own performance... https://wows-numbers.com/

and don't worry about blips for even Unicum players can have a series of bad games even if they played out of their skins.

My weekly stats, 21 day stats, usually show me as Very good to Super Unicum in my favourite class which is the DD.

You'll get there yourself.. maybe even faster than me who knows and if you don't make the mistake I did, ignoring all the advice given, you'll have a head start.

1686238775_Screenshot(1091).thumb.png.12f70b4ecf84fcc89335e9cb80e03e16.png

Players
445 posts

Worrying about your stats, you start to lose what little enjoyment this game has left to offer, just play to your abilities and if you think you have done your bit for the team, then pat yourself on the back, if not, learn, move on, hopefully play better the next time and don't bother listening to stat shamers and the unicum trolls.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[TSNP]
Players
31 posts
10,686 battles
  • Cool 1

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,306 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Xhabalanque sagte:

Graf Zeppelins dive bombers are very unreliable, you can have the perfect drop and you'll still miss 25% of the time

it's better to mostly focus on rockets and torpedo bombers with the GZ

• Cool 1

Players
3,015 posts
9 hours ago, Xhabalanque said:

Ahoy Sailors, 

Dont worry about it. Less you do the better you will perform. I touched the 50% many times in the past. It became an obsession, and my game suffered. Learn to accept the losses and move on cuz in the end, if you don't you will distance yourself from the game as I am. (It's not the only, or the main reason but when you play for stats, satisfaction is not as great.) A question to finish dis off, will you be a better player if you reach 50%, than what you are now at 49%?

• Cool 1

[SBP]
Players
39 posts
2,765 battles
5 godzin temu, Migantium_Mashum napisał:

Buddy... If you start badly and it takes a while for you to understand the game, or like me I didn't listen to sound advice from fellow forumites who knew better, your Win Rate will only improve as you do and it will improve slowly compared to other players. If you've suffered many defeats there is much to claw back before you break the magic 50%...

But, if you think 43% is bad think again.. I was at below 36% at one point and did I know it...

Some games you will not win even if you play spectacularly and some you'll win without effort.

I was told in the past that the WR will go up eventually, it just takes longer with such a poor start, but as you get better it evens out.

Personally, I just aim for the next % up so I am currently working on reaching 48%..

If you monitor your performance weekly you'll get a better idea of your own performance... https://wows-numbers.com/

and don't worry about blips for even Unicum players can have a series of bad games even if they played out of their skins.

My weekly stats, 21 day stats, usually show me as Very good to Super Unicum in my favourite class which is the DD.

You'll get there yourself.. maybe even faster than me who knows and if you don't make the mistake I did, ignoring all the advice given, you'll have a head start.

1686238775_Screenshot(1091).thumb.png.12f70b4ecf84fcc89335e9cb80e03e16.png

I think he needs fist to run a test below. Low stats can be tighten with the results of mentioned test ( bottom of the screenshot )

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,397 battles

9 hours ago, Xhabalanque said:

Ahoy Sailors, 

Hello @Xhabalanque, and welcome to the first step of getting better, "going to the doctor". And what do doctors like to say? "You should have come sooner."

First of all, after thousands of games, we are beyond anecdotes. There are hard facts and reasons, why you struggle to improve. Be prepared the reasons may be in the core of your playstyle. That means that some of your habits, your automatisms will work against you. You behave a certain way and it blocks you from realizing, where you went wrong. I am sayingthat, so you are prepared, ready to throw overboard some of your habits. That will not be easy. You learned your playstyle, now you must unlearn parts of it, working against the grain.

Now I know little about the GZ. I certainly am not the only one.

Maybe you should post some more replays of other ships. Don't post your better battles. Those battles are unlikely to show us what you typically do wrong. And you should be familiar with the replays you are posting, since people will discuss your moves and if you cannot remember the situation, you will not understand what they mean. All I can tell you that your words or descriptions alone will not help. You are not aware of what you do wrong. You want to improve, if you had the awareness you would have changed your play long ago and on your own. You need the external view on your playstyle.

Your profile only allows a very limited guess what might be holding you back. I concur with @Odo_Toothless that your low survivability is one striking number. The first guess would be that you are too aggressive in your positioning or are giving too much broadside. But we'll need replays.

Another number is your hit ratio. It's not terrible but a bit low. You obviously play in phases. You play 200-300 battles in one month and then you don't touch the game for 3 months. Like anything, you get better through practice. Most good players will lead targets correctly simply by feeling the speed of the opponent. You don't get that feeling by occasional playing. You don't need to play thousands of games a year, just regularly.

Stay with lower tiers for now. You will see the improvement, when it hits yourresults and then you can think about going up again. But basically, T3 is like juggling with 3 balls. If the balls fall to the ground when it's only 3 of them, having 6-10 balls is not gonna make it any better, is it?

9 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Yes the best tip ever, don't worry to much about stats, never mind what good intentions you hav ei battle, whether it be evadeing AA, angling your BB, wiggling around in your DD doing manic torp beats, RNG bad teams bad players bad ideas will all come together to make you run off down the pub instead.

I thought about downvoting your post, but I deem that cheap and I feel the need to put it in the right words. Your ideas are apologetic nonsense. If a player loses more over thousands of battles that is his actions alone and no RNGesus or a conspiracy. The game really doesn't need any more players who do not use their heads and blame the world for their losses. If they crossed the streets like they play, every day some of them would be run over by a car.

If not carrying about sportsmanship is your attitute that is sad enough. You could have made a topic yourself, asking for advice, but you didn't. You don't care. The OP does and that earns my respect. Please don't encourage others to follow your paradigm and make room for the players who are willing and able to help the OP reach his goal instead of accepting flaws that are easily overcome, once you are aware of how the game works.

Players
2,070 posts
16,188 battles
14 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

This is the worst tip ever. And also quite incorrect. Stop coming up with excuses, on a large sample size it's not RNG, it's you. As for stats not going up once they go down, say what? I've had rough periods when wr went down a bit... it is always followed up by a massive improvement. Occasional dips in your graphs are normal, but the overall trend has to be one of improvement. If it isn't, look to the mirror for the source of your problems.

OP - your stats aren't great, but it's good you're not coming up with apologetic nonsense to justify them, but actually trying to figure out the problems and improve. I like that attitude. It's never too late to start improving.

I took a look at your profile. Your aim seems ok-ish in general, at least it doesn't stick out as a particular problem, however, here's one problem area that does stick out:

Screenshot_8.thumb.jpg.d8e35d4a2141fa52ae85b8c53086983d.jpg

You survive 1 in 5 of your games, roughly. That survival rate is extremely low, which suggests wrong positioning and overextending a lot. Of course, not suicide yoloing while not camping either is where experience, knowledge and skill comes in. Your survival rate will also have an effect on your winrate, when you die you cost your team points and reduce their chance to win; this is why you should always try to make sure that even if you can't avoid being killed off, it's favorable trade for your team, but in general your survival rate needs to go up and the rest of the stats will follow. Basics out of the way first - is your minimap set up correctly (enlarged, ship names, etc)? Do you run premium consumables, all upgrades, correct builds? Check out CC commentaries on specific ships to get build advice, or ask here (but check the profiles of people who respond, you probably don't want build advice from a 42%er). Flamuu usually has build advice at the end of his videos when he makes videos on specific ships, it's a good place to start. You can check the same videos to see how these ships are played, but overall, your positioning and decision making definitely need some work, based on these numbers.

General advice:

- do you understand armor angling, overmatch mechanics, armor profiles and what can and can't pen you from what angle? If not, this is easy enough to work on. Especially in cruisers, it's helpful to know what overmatches you so you know how to position and play against certain ships. You can usually get away with more things in an angled cruiser against 380mm guns, than you can vs. 460mm ones, but to understand specifics you need to know your armor and what overmatches it.

- use that minimap right from the start. How is the team positioning? Is your flank being abandoned? This isn't optimal, but going there alone anyway is making a bad situation worse - you will get focused and die. Lemmings are stupid, and if you can prevent them, definitely do so, if you can't, don't yolo and die. If you're dead, you can't influence the match anymore and it's in the hands of your random team mates, which all but guarantees a defeat.

- take note of both teams right at the start. Is it a CV game? How many and which DD's do they have? Are there any specific threats to your ship class on there? If you're a BB, there's a huge difference for you if the enemy has an asashio or, say, a z-23. If you're a cruiser, you'll want to know what overmatches you. Easy enough to just not give broadside to stuff that doesn't. If you're a DD, you'll want to know how many radars there are, what their ranges are, if it's a CV game you'll want to run with AA off and keep track of planes, trying to avoid being spotted when you can, etc. There's just too much stuff to list in one post.

As you can see, there's many factors that affect what your positioning should be, so definitely to start with watch a lot of cc videos and see how they do it. A lot of them explain what they are doing and why, as they are doing it.

[ONE2]
Players
3,114 posts
23,021 battles

Have patience lad. I have over 17.000+ battles and I just barely managed to pass the 53% mark last X-Mas. It will take time.:fish_sleep:

Think of it this way -> You will need to win 2 times to compensate against every 1 loss that you have and there are things like losing streaks (I know, having a real bad one right now myself), when nothing goes right and they could last for weeks or months before the luck turns. I would say it'll take you at least another 1000+ battles to get it above 50% and even that only if you win 2/3 of them, otherwise it'll take longer.:cap_old:

Take my advise and forget about WR for now, play the ships you enjoy the most, have fun, learn new things and improve your gameplay and it'll come eventually. Don't get obsessed about it, that will just ruin your day.:cap_tea:

• Cool 1