Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Monk

KARMA. Get rid of it

22 comments in this topic

[TRYME]
Players
12 posts
13,729 battles

Hey WG, can we just get rid of the entire ridiculous karma-system? It does MORE harm than good at this point. Okay? Thanks. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[TRYME]
Players
12 posts
13,729 battles
4 minutes ago, Belmassa said:

What harm does it do?

Ive been reported/downvoted for:

- Playing bad (obviously)

But also Ive been reported/downvoted for:

- Playing a CV (oh man havent I just)

- Playing a radar cruiser (f...ing radars)

- Playing a hydro cruiser (f...ing hydros)

- Playing a DD (f...ing DDs)

- Playing a BB (f...ing BBs)

- Playing a premium (f...ing P2W)

- Setting an enemy ship on fire 4 times in a row

- Killing someone

- Not killing someone

- Missing a shot (f...ing useless idiot)

- Hitting a shot (f...ing kill stealer)

- Colliding with another ship

- Suggesting that not scouting all caps/letting the enemy have caps for free is stupid (especially flank caps)

- Pushing agressively (once  i even got reported after doing over 200k and a kraken in the worcester for not running away at the end of the game - I killed a DD instead - we won)

- Not pushing aggresively

- Beeing critical in chat

- Not beeing critical in chat (telling everybody currently raging to cool it)
- Playing whatever ship is the most hated ship of the month

(This is NOT an exhaustive list by no stretch of the imiganiation, just a small sample)

... you get the idea. The whole system is laughable. People will literally report anyone that doesnt conform to their own preferences, or make simple mistakes we all do. You can even report players on the opposing team ffs.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[TRYME]
Players
12 posts
13,729 battles
4 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

It does nothing. It's just an indication to you. 

It destroys any hope of ever having a somewhat constructive playerbase. And it gets worse by the day.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Players
6,862 posts
11,272 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Monk said:

... you get the idea. The whole system is laughable. People will literally report anyone that doesnt conform to their own preferences, or make simple mistakes we all do. You can even report players on the opposing team ffs.

And? It does nothing. You think there is an army of people at WG reacting to each report and looking millions of replays every day? :D

4 minutes ago, The_Monk said:

It destroys any hope of ever having a somewhat constructive playerbase. And it gets worse by the day.

I cant follow you. How does the playerbae get any better if we remove reports? Quite the contrary, it gives easy minded people a tool to vent their aggression. Else they might just take it in the next game and pump it into some poor soul, that spawnd next to them. The only thing, which is stupid, is, that the report for chat abuse leads to automated 24 hour bans, if there are enough of those collected. Some guys suffer thanks to that and the only reason is, that they are too good at what they are doing.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[TRYME]
Players
12 posts
13,729 battles
13 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

And? It does nothing. You think there is an army of people at WG reacting to each report and looking millions of replays every day? :D

If you set out to create a system that just made people angry and bitter, you wouldnt be able to come up with a system that worked better.

It might be for you, but its definitly not for me.

• Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
28,257 posts
14,932 battles
4 hours ago, The_Monk said:

That hope is in vain, even without Karma.

• Cool 2

[-WHO-]
Players
75 posts
5,555 battles

I have heard once that karma is taken into consideration with the match maker. That lower karma players get in a team and higher karma players also more often in the same team.. 

I'm not sure if this is true tho.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
28,257 posts
14,932 battles
7 minutes ago, Zalzomar said:

I have heard once that karma is taken into consideration with the match maker. That lower karma players get in a team and higher karma players also more often in the same team.. 

I'm not sure if this is true tho.

It is not.

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,982 battles
4 hours ago, The_Monk said:

I don't believe that there is any way that this is linked to the Karma system. This is a function of the fact that:-

Everyone has an alias instead of a real name granting anonymity

The communication is through text, and has to be brief

It is a competitive game hence tention can be high

This is the Internet and people believe 'anything goes'

There are little consequences

This means that some people think that they don't have to worry about social norms and have the right to do whatever they want. 

The Karma system actually provides a way of defusing the situation by providing a way out of confrontation. 

Removing it would increase toxicity in the game.

• Cool 1

[-WHO-]
Players
75 posts
5,555 battles
31 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

It is not.

oh okay. you learn something new everyday :)

• Funny 1

[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles

Quick question: Sometimes you get a notification of "you lost karma" when someone downvotes you, but most of the time you don't.

What's the reason for this message to only show up sometimes? Is it when someone from your own team reports you? Or from the enemy team? Or totally random?

I'm confused.

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,956 posts
12,905 battles
2 minutes ago, genosse said:

Quick question: Sometimes you get a notification of "you lost karma" when someone downvotes you, but most of the time you don't.

What's the reason for this message to only show up sometimes? Is it when someone from your own team reports you? Or from the enemy team? Or totally random?

I'm confused.

You only lose karma if 2 or more players report you for the same reason. 1 raging maniac (like OP) doesnt change anything.

• Cool 1

[UA-NF]
Players
432 posts
7,449 battles

WG need some ways for players to vent the frustration about bad MM, noobs in your team or whatever else players might be outraged about. Maybe you should be able to negarep other player only if your karma is higher then his. Not 100% sure it's a good idea, but bad players who have no idea what's hoing on, wouldn't be able to negarep good ones.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles
4 minutes ago, kfa said:

You only lose karma if 2 or more players report you for the same reason. 1 raging maniac (like OP) doesnt change anything.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. :)

[ONE2]
Players
3,119 posts
23,159 battles

NAAH!:Smile_bajan2: I kinda like having it it. Some way to show appreciation, if anyone is doing especially well and perhaps to blow off steam without getting instantly chat-banned if someone messes up royally. It is just fine, as is methinks (despite of the fact I often end up losing some, hehehe). :cap_old:

Besides, it just occurs to me that if we'd keep removing features of the game every time anyone gets a hizzy-fit for one reason or another, we'd probably end up with hardly any game at all (CV's removed, DD's removed, AP removed, torps removed, HE removed... You name it - Removed)... Let's just leave it, concentrate on improving things that matter and even add more stuff instead !!! :Smile_Default:

WOHOU!!! :cap_horn:

• Cool 2

Players
1,890 posts
19,428 battles

Karma is there as a vent for angry players so they can give you a -1 because they didn't like how you played, killed them or whatever. 

Still there is no point worrying about your karma having a higher or lower karma does nothing (other than allowing you a few more reports or compliments).

The advantage of karma is it avoids too many post battle messages that then get submitted to WG via support tickets, and quite frankly I think more people who be upset getting abusive messages than getting a little notification (or having to manually check their karma to see if they got reported whilst they were in battle).

• Cool 2

Players
2,081 posts
16,277 battles
19 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

Still there is no point worrying about your karma having a higher or lower karma does nothing (other than allowing you a few more reports or compliments).

Having enough karma gives you the ability to report your entire team, which is the most OP captain skill in the game :cap_haloween:

But seriously, it's not worth worrying about. If anything, getting reported by someone you outplayed, or by a 42%-er who didn't like you asking them to not sail to the other side of the map as the game starts is a badge of honor.

• Funny 2

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,074 posts
12,904 battles
20 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

Karma is there as a vent for angry players so they can give you a -1 because they didn't like how you played, killed them or whatever. 

The advantage of karma is it avoids too many post battle messages that then get submitted to WG via support tickets, and quite frankly I think more people who be upset getting abusive messages than getting a little notification (or having to manually check their karma to see if they got reported whilst they were in battle).

Fully agree with this. People - salty people - need some kind of "tool" to feel better - and this reports do the trick I'm sure. 

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
854 posts
10,098 battles
51 minutes ago, kfa said:

I believe that you are incorrect, and that only one person is required to report you in order to receive -1 karma.

Two people are required to report you for you to receive an actual "lost karma report" notification in the port (which is why hardly anyone ever sees this report).

However only one person is required to compliment you to get the "complimented" report.

IIRC the Wiki hasn't had any update of the Karma explanation in years: 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Update_0.5.2

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Update_0.6.6#Karma

• Cool 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,200 posts
11,299 battles

Hello,

1. Karma means nothing.

2. Karma does nothing,

3. Karma has no meaning.