Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DFens_666

Get rid of Epicenter on Ice Islands

41 comments in this topic

[SHAFT]
Players
11,169 posts
9,530 battles

I think by now its the usual stuff, that the team spawning in the south pretty much takes a default loss as they dont want to touch the Epicenter.

Whenever ive been spawning in the south lately, its the same picture over and over: Running behind where C cap normaly is, some go where A usually is, noone is in the center. Only way to win this, is by playing 3x unicum division and hope enemies pull a win harder when they have the caps.

Now today we spawned in the north:

- Our DD goes into outer circle... noone touches it, gets the cap. YES, THERE EVEN WAS A CV IN THE GAME

- Our DD enters 2nd circle and caps that too (at some point, a cruiser/BB actually managed to get into the outer cap to block our points - momentarily)

- Our DD goes into the center, and yep, you guessed it, capped it aswell.

Basicly 4 mins into the game, we are approaching 700-800 points, and game is basicly over.

image.thumb.png.b2df45df95b0b34931ea01fca7cd1be2.png

A total of 5!! ships died, 3 ( 2 enemies / 1 of ours) probably out of desperation to not lose the game after we already had 900 points.

image.png.62826be502972f3c8598ae0e291c2528.png

I mean cmon... this is as unfun as it can be. Especially as i had 3 BBs + a Moskva + a DD/CA running down my flank, so if i wouldnt have started kiting i would have died aswell, not getting any more out of it (probably even less)

On another note:

Give back old Islands of Ice :cat_paw:

• Cool 19

Players
6,864 posts
11,298 battles

This is the sad part: not even 2 minutes into the game I have 2 caps and im in the center one. which, logic dictates, is already mine, only took 44 sec more. So @ 17:27 our team had all 3 caps.

image.png.c8b9e44fc3805ded2237c26af1a0a8a1.png

Below is the corresponding result that was enough to become highest XP earner that game ^^ And if I wouldnt have rushed out, open water gunboating the poor Izumo (who was the only one on the enemy team that actually TRIED to contest the objective), I would have ended the game with 866 damage - from a blind shot in a smoke on a Kita sitting outside the circles in his smoke. Lets face it: this playerbase doesnt have what it takes anymore to play Epicenter. Too hard.

image.thumb.png.3601a3e62d0c3eb2ed67d05e6112d070.png

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

So you describe the issue to be a player problem and therefore demand the game to change?

Sorry, for your loss in those battles, but it is not the fault of the gamemode.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[SHAFT]
Players
11,169 posts
9,530 battles
20 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

So you describe the issue to be a player problem and therefore demand the game to change?

If the majority of the playerbase is just incapable of playing that gamemode, then getting rid of it seems to be a viable option.

Try it on another map - maybe it works there. On midtiers, epicenter is not as bad as on hightiers (Big race / Trident)

• Cool 5

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,847 posts
17,778 battles

You spelled Epicenter wrong, the correct spelling is "the center is lava"... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[TAYTO]
Players
830 posts
8,866 battles

I'd go one stage further and just get rid of this epic center mode. It's a bag-o-shite and hated by many.

• Cool 2

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Especially with the snowstorm thing in epicenter. This is sooooo annoying. 

That thing is just pure cancer and I can't see one good example of why it should be used - I mean I get the idea that it's supposed to help any players inside the epicentre keep "safe" from players outside due to dispersion penalties, but it just doesn't work like that in the actual game.

• Cool 7

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,190 posts
22,708 battles

And while you are at it remove Tears of The Cruisers Epicenter as well. This mode works in low and mid tiers only. With the ship additions to high tier in the last year (457 mm, T10-Kutuzov, CVs) no one wants to push anywhere.

Players don't know where to go, same like in standard battle. 3/4 Caps give them a small hint at least.

• Cool 4

Players
1,673 posts

It's not the game mode, it's the map itself. It is, and always was, one of the worst maps in the game and this simply for the fact that it is so huge. Even in a really fast ship, remove all ships from the map, you need 6 minutes to get from one cap to the cap on the other side in a straight line. Games are usually divided into 2 seperate battles, one at A cap and one at C cap, no chance of crossfire, flanking, tactical play and before both teams meet at B the game is usually over. Then there is often the weather front stuff that screws up this map even more. It's my least favorite map in the entire game. They should just remove it together with Ocean, The Atlantic and Okinawa. All these maps always produce extremely boring and frustrating battles even, or especially, in a victory..

• Cool 3

[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
733 posts
12,738 battles

That is very interesting opinion from OP.

Strangely enough similar thing did happen to me. Enemy took all three circles and our DDs go sightseeing. Difference is that instead of complaining on forum I blocked mid in my DM, using radar and hydro to spot anyone who wanted to dislodge me. I did die doing almost nothing but time it took enemy to kill me was enough for others to kill them one by one, recap and win. Does it always works? No. Is it better than whining? I think, yes.

• Cool 1

Players
6,864 posts
11,298 battles
2 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

Strangely enough similar thing did happen to me. Enemy took all three circles and our DDs go sightseeing. Difference is that instead of complaining on forum I blocked mid in my DM, using radar and hydro to spot anyone who wanted to dislodge me. I did die doing almost nothing but time it took enemy to kill me was enough for others to kill them one by one, recap and win. Does it always works? No. Is it better than whining? I think, yes. 

I think we have to differentiate between finding a way to work around a stupid map / a stupid game mode / stupid additions like that snowstorm (good point btw @MacArthur92 it really makes it worse) / stupid players or a combination of those and pointing out something in the game, that is, in its current state, unfun >90% of times. I mean, you even admit it yourself, that you did not have fun. The bottomline is: its a game, its supposed to be fun. Yes yes I know, many games are not fun, because several reasons, but in this case, its really connected to the combination of map+gamemode+snowstorm+playerbase. And I think, pointing this out is better then going "notto dissu shitto again" everytime I see this map loading with Epicenter. I mean, we used to have this other gamemode... gosh, I even forgot repressed how it was called, which was hated by everyone - and WG got rid of it at somepoint.

In general about Epicenter, since Ive kept thinking about that game mode: One single DD can take 3 caps in that mode 180 seconds in the game (as you can see on the screen above). In no other gamemode is that even remotly possible for one player to do. And the points are ticking so fast, its a huuuge advantage for this team. And the thing is: its not even a high risk - high reward thing! In the case, you manage to cap the other circle, because the enemy DD is afk or not interested in capping - you are guarenteed to get cap 2 and 3 aswell. Only thing able to stop you is a CV. The gamemode might just not suit the points bases system of wows. And dont think about lowering the points tick for the circles, because that would reward those players not playing for the objective. Maybe we just need 2 smaller epicenters epiborders left and right of the map...

Players
2,083 posts
16,289 battles
9 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Expecting the player base to change / improve is unrealistic.

Changing maps / game modes isn't. 

Simple as that. It is far, far easier to adjust the game than to expect the player base to stop doing dumb things. So, @DFens_666, if you'll forgive a slight detour, can we have some mine fields on North / Northern lights, lines 9/10, and okinawa behind the A cap? :Smile_trollface:

On another note, am I alone in thinking I wouldn't shed one tear if epicenter was just completely removed? Feel free to dumpster standard battle, as well...

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
1,894 posts
19,442 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

I mean, we used to have this other gamemode... gosh, I even forgot repressed how it was called, which was hated by everyone - and WG got rid of it at somepoint.

I think your talking about bastion, where the forts could actually get multiple kills in a game.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
7,088 posts

@OP I played one IceIslands Epi battle the other day in my PR, went up the left flank and crossfired the enemy push, we killed them all including me zaping the shokak mid game, its not always a loss but I get the notion

[-TPF-]
Players
4,268 posts
17,845 battles

I don't like Epicentre on this map, as everyone says, it's too big. And I will admit to having no idea what snowstorms or thunderstorms actually do in this game. It usually just makes me want to put the windscreen wipers on. 

I do quite like the Epicentre map you get in mid Tiers, where everyone ends up on either side of the island in the cap, before making a Tier III YOLO charge at each other. That's the sort of aggressive play this mode needs. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,300 posts
20,023 battles
27 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

@OP I played one IceIslands Epi battle the other day in my PR, went up the left flank and crossfired the enemy push, we killed them all including me zaping the shokak mid game, its not always a loss but I get the notion

The other team lost. :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
733 posts
12,738 battles
2 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

I mean, you even admit it yourself, that you did not have fun.

Where exactly I stated that?

Actually what definition of fun forumites does use: fun = enjoying or fun = laughing?

Players
889 posts
18,179 battles
1 hour ago, lovelacebeer said:

I think your talking about bastion, where the forts could actually get multiple kills in a game.

Every time I play on the Atlantic map I get flashbacks of Bastion :/

Seriously though, especially when epicenter is combined with a snowstorm games (win or loss) tend to be a roflstomps in my experience. It isn't fun for anyone IMO..

And yes, Islands of ice is getting worse with every iteration, to the point of being (in my eyes) mountain range but white..

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this