Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

Leander build.

54 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

Hi, it's me again.

I finally unlocked Leander (with free XP)

My first impressions are a little mixed.

Upsides

Amazing speed conservation while turning, amazing acceleration, rudder will be better, amazing concealment .

Downsides

Squishy with poor range, ammunition type.

What the hell I'm going to do against BBs or angled targets? apart from roll over and die.

It's a far cry from what I'm used to which is, HE spamming from medium to long range support, depending on the ship, with Leander I have to be close support for dds, at least is the impression that I have. And as a last resort a dd itself.

am I right?

But for now, Leander it's a coop only ship.

Regarding the build

PT, AR, SI, CE, RPF, BFT+HA

PT, AR, SI, CE, RPF, LS+HA+IFA

PT, AR, SI, CE, RPF, BFT+LS

or other?

Thank you.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
28,064 posts
14,868 battles

Unless BB are completly bow on or stern away from you, the guns work quite well vs them. Aim for the superstructure, that works in most situations.

Otherwise just be on the lookout for targets that show more side.

That is a basic setup.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSC106&modules=12221&upgrades=134200&commander=PCW001&skills=2149630977&ar=100&consumables=2222

The remaining points can be chosen at will.

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
10,968 posts
9,438 battles

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000001100010000001000000001119

I think thats what im running on my Fiji. But you could change some things

BFT: dont do it - brings you nothing. Bot CVs are not a threat.

PT/PM: Imo its not that clearcut. I prefer PM if id have to choose.

AR/EM/JOAT: AR always nice. EM depends ofc, maybe not necessary in coop. JOAT, might also not be necessary in coop

SI: extra smoke+heal

Vigilance: Why not? Longer torpspotting

SE: Imo more useful than it looks

RPF/CE: Pretty obvious, alltho not sure if RPF is needed in Coop.

Are you planning to play it in randoms too? That should make it easier.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,212 posts
17,562 battles

It's tremendous around caps and on flanks. The guns will wreck destroyers and citadel cruisers with ease, but with BBs you need more angle and then go for the superstructure, bow or stern. 

I think I have PT, LS, AR, SI, CE and RPF on mine. You want to be sneaking up on people, not vice versa. 

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

@DFens_666

The Ship will go To Ops and eventually to Random.

But for now it's a coop only. I don't want to burden teammates with a stock Leander and a completely noob at the helm.

But the build I wanted to be for Random

[TACHA]
Players
1,476 posts
16,479 battles

When I first got the Leander, I was underwhelmed - it was, as you say, squishy - not Emerald squishy mind you! However coming back to her after playing the higher tiers and it really is very good. The guns are great, the torps fantastic and being able to heal and smoke saves your bacon on many occasions! Not as stealthy as I would like as not a huge ship, but is great fun. The step change is to Fiji though, which must be one of the most fun ships in the game. Good guns, good torps, heal, smoke, great acceleration, and rudder shift, good AA, and concealment. Quite frankly OP and also fantastic looking, unlike the Belfast.

[PGT2P]
Players
82 posts
6,959 battles

I'm not a good player.  Had a pretty awful time with Leander - perhaps because I rushed into randoms without a complete ship (modules and upgrades) and with a low skill captain.  Moving to Fiji got me more than a 50% average boost to xp, anyhow, Leander was very squishy, and I wasn't able to effectively use torps - if I was to play this ship again I'd make sure to get max concealment and a bigger smoke area to help with lining up torps, avoiding incoming torps, and making your escape easier - basically, Leander can't duel so you need to hide, smoke, run, hide and smoke and so on...

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
514 posts
18,214 battles

PT is trash, either you are stealthed, smoked or spotted, if the latter everything will fire at you, take it as a given that everything in range is on your case, spend that point in PM to keep guns and racks online.

• Bad 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,095 posts
5,462 battles
1 minute ago, PassTheSalt said:

PT is trash, either you are stealthed, smoked or spotted, if the latter everything will fire at you, take it as a given that everything in range is on your case, spend that point in PM to keep guns and racks online.

Absolutely 100% dead wrong, with emphasis on dead.

• Cool 3

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles

PT, JOAT, SI, TAE, CE so far.

I'm likely to take EM and RPF for the remaining points when I get them. I never have problems with steering or engines so I don't think you'll ever need LS. And I prefer the all-round utility of JOAT compared to HA for a ship with that many consumables.

Great ship to use in Operations too.

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,163 posts
9,337 battles
13 minutes ago, PassTheSalt said:

lol ok you keep wasting that point, go right ahead.

The info I personally get from PT is invaluable compared to IFA, but each to their own.

On topic the British CL line is somewhat flexible in build options as already pointed out because once you get PT-AR-SI-CE you can essentially pick whatever and it will still work.

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles
15 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

This one.

Don't waste your time in Coop. Leander is the best carry ship for tier 6 scenarios, you'll get lot credits and XP.

and don't forget to equip Hydroacoustic Search Modification 1 in slot 2.

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
514 posts
18,214 battles
15 hours ago, ollonborre said:

The info I personally get from PT is invaluable compared to IFA, but each to their own.

On topic the British CL line is somewhat flexible in build options as already pointed out because once you get PT-AR-SI-CE you can essentially pick whatever and it will still work.

I'd not recommend IFA as a replacement for sure.

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles
16 hours ago, PassTheSalt said:

The information you get from PT is vital for decision making, for all ships, even in scenarios. Your handicapping yourself without it.

• Cool 1

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
514 posts
18,214 battles
1 minute ago, creamgravy said:

The information you get from PT is vital for decision making, for all ships, even in scenarios. Your handicapping yourself without it.

in a leander if you are spotted, everything will fire on you, that is all the info you need.

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles
Just now, PassTheSalt said:

in a leander if you are spotted, everything will fire on you, that is all the info you need.

No they won't.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,110 posts
14,566 battles
14 minutes ago, PassTheSalt said:

I still find it very helpful to know how many people 'everyone' is though; after a lot of games with PM instead, I agree with those that think that information is more important than an increase in module survivability. There is a big difference between 'everyone' = 2, say, and 'everyone' = 5...

That said, I try and take both, if I have a point spare, because I still think that PM is very useful as well.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,218 posts
3,715 battles
5 hours ago, creamgravy said:

Don't waste your time in Coop. Leander is the best carry ship for tier 6 scenarios, you'll get lot credits and XP.

This. Focus on broadside cruisers, and use your heal to fully repair the fire damage that will inevitably result as bot cruisers shoot HE at you while completely disregarding your battleship buddy that lies between you and them. Torpedo any bot battleship that comes close enough to not be able to dodge despite the AI special power of knowing exactly when and where you drop your torpedoes. Deploy smoke as required to stay alive where lesser cruisers would go to the bottom, and reap your just rewards in the post-battle screen.

1 hour ago, PassTheSalt said:

This, however, is not something I recognize right away. Maybe as a subsection of the general rule that "if you're in a light cruiser and are spotted, everyone will fire on you", but I've never felt that the Leander is considered to be especially sink-worthy in this regard.*

I have trained my Leander captain in Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Concealment Expert and Expert Marksman. The lack of HE shells means that you don't have to get either the IFHE or the Demolition Expert skill, which in turn will free up points for use on such unorthodox skills as Smoke Screen Expert and Jack of All Trades.

Another good thing about the Leander is that she leads directly to the Fiji, which is arguably the best tier VII silver line cruiser at the moment. There are those, me among them, who would say that the Fiji is in many ways an even stronger ship than the Belfast.

* Unlike such fire-magnets as her bigger sister Belfast, for example. If a Belfast is spotted, everyone and their uncles will drop whatever else they may be doing at the time, and start lobbing shells at her fat a$$. Even to the point of not shooting at the enemy carrier.

• Cool 2

[KAKE]
Players
2,709 posts
6,663 battles
34 minutes ago, PassTheSalt said:

I've had plenty of games where I've been joyfully gunning in the open in the Minotaur, and nobody's bothered to shoot at me. That's the nice thing about PT, it tells you when your enemies are making the mistake of not paying attention to you. And it tells you when you're in a fair fight against a single opponent, and when the fight is about to turn unfair in your disfavour.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,218 posts
3,715 battles
23 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

I've had plenty of games where I've been joyfully gunning in the open in the Minotaur, and nobody's bothered to shoot at me. That's the nice thing about PT, it tells you when your enemies are making the mistake of not paying attention to you. And it tells you when you're in a fair fight against a single opponent, and when the fight is about to turn unfair in your disfavour.

For some reason, a lot of players seem to dismiss the Royal Navy cruisers as a credible threat. They do so at their peril.

Sign in to follow this