You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SHARKFORCE1975

Rotten Potatoes

53 comments in this topic

Players
63 posts

Disclaimer: I'm not some super WoWS player with unicum stats through the roof,I'm just an average player who likes to play this game with his brain soaked in alcohol from time to time

Over the last few weeks there has been a steady,and very steep(!),decline in "quality" of the playerbase. This isn't being frustrated with getting stuck with your run-of-the-mill potato teams,the level of stup!d I see in every match is toddler-level-dirt-eating-potato-madness! Match after match my jaw drops in disbelief as to why we lost again,think of every mistake or bad decision...and crank it up to 100! And how on Earth do all these players end up in my freakin' team!? 

It probably all has to do with new and returning players,which in itself is great of course...but at the same time gameplay and enjoyment of playing the game (for me at least) has suffered a big hit. The level of stup!d broke my spirit to play WoWS...and I'm guessing I'm not alone in this.

(Yes yes,I know WG doesn't care...however,staying silent and just taking it up the rear-end is what a rotten potato would do)

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,689 posts
19,842 battles

Well, players are bad, especially when they soak their brains in alcohol. Nothing you can do.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8

[KAKE]
Players
2,737 posts
6,707 battles
31 minutes ago, SHARKFORCE1975 said:

And how on Earth do all these players end up in my freakin' team!? 

Confirmation bias?

I mean, I have my fair share of games where what looks like a surefire victory turns into defeat because my team potatoes. I have my fair share of games where I potato, and possibly cost the team the victory. And I have games where the enemy team potatoes and I get an easy victory. The thing is, it's the losses that stick in your mind, while the easy victories are quickly forgotten.

And the past is viewed with rose-tinted glasses, you forget that things were probably about as good/bad a year or two back.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,706 posts
38,366 battles

Thought like Gordon Ramsay thread :cap_haloween:

The 200% bonus made many people come, those who play "once in a while" and play so horrible. A guy on ARP Hiei shooting HE on a Fiji at point blank range. Seriously. ARP Hiei was earned long time ago so how many battles this guy had? 800. Yes. 800 battle after 3 years. Playing few battles every 4-5 months and disconnecting completely from the game. Having no idea about the new things in the game and what's going on around him in the battle. Complaints from him about "stupid OP" Italian smoke, too fast French ships and cruisers having a heal (the new RN CA ones).... 

My Lord... :cap_fainting:

• Cool 6
  • Funny 4

Players
63 posts
1 hour ago, Uglesett said:

Confirmation bias?

I mean, I have my fair share of games where what looks like a surefire victory turns into defeat because my team potatoes. I have my fair share of games where I potato, and possibly cost the team the victory. And I have games where the enemy team potatoes and I get an easy victory. The thing is, it's the losses that stick in your mind, while the easy victories are quickly forgotten.

And the past is viewed with rose-tinted glasses, you forget that things were probably about as good/bad a year or two back.

Yeah,not this time,because....

1 hour ago, MacArthur92 said:

The 200% bonus made many people come, those who play "once in a while" and play so horrible. A guy on ARP Hiei shooting HE on a Fiji at point blank range. Seriously. ARP Hiei was earned long time ago so how many battles this guy had? 800. Yes. 800 battle after 3 years. Playing few battles every 4-5 months and disconnecting completely from the game. Having no idea about the new things in the game and what's going on around him in the battle. Complaints from him about "stupid OP" Italian smoke, too fast French ships and cruisers having a heal (the new RN CA ones).... 

My Lord... :cap_fainting:

This exactly! I had a match yesterday in my Kagero where I was spotting for 3 BB's and a CA...the moment I spotted the enemy DD,my team mates instead of shooting the DD,they just RAN AWAY! They weren't even in the DD's gun range! What kind of madness is this? I see a lot of running away at the first sight of the enemy,or half the team cowering behind an island...and I mean the SAME island! And a lot of "friendly fire" incidents too.

Players with 800 battles played in 3 years is not the exception these days,there are so many of them in the queues that you're lucky not more than half your team is made up of them. 

• Cool 1

Players
63 posts
2 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Well, players are bad, especially when they soak their brains in alcohol. Nothing you can do.

As much as I suck at the game with my brain swimming in alcohol,there are players out there who suck far worse completely sober....that's my point.:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[KTS]
Alpha Tester
1,004 posts
11,790 battles

i feel your pain

✏
Spoiler

shot-20_01.27_13_12.19-0934.thumb.jpg.b28a3a9bfe33e1271304c954e9a77fdc.jpgshot-20_01.27_13_12.16-0367.thumb.jpg.cdd92b7bb3ff30514c6d498186ba5af9.jpg

1 dd suicided at the start, radared from the buffalo and he stayed still. The other dd camped behind the bb and got nuked in the smoke, Iowa and izumo fired he only, kronstad afk then suicide

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,785 posts

You just have to accept that after the first minutes you have to judge if you are in the worse of two bad teams, and then you can either a) attack alone, do maximum damage and die (resulting in reasonable XP and not having to strain your nerves for another 10 minutes while your team is losing the game), or b) camp/run like the rest and lose the game, too, but without doing maximum damage, resulting in lower XP and wasted time.

And yes, you can tell most of the times if you are in the worse team. Like some days ago, when two special u-turns of evolution declared in general chat they would come through the middle of the two brothers map in their bismarcks, and were unsurprisingly annihilated... leaving my team two ships down after barely 3 minutes in the game.

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,737 posts
6,707 battles

There's always some :etc_swear: going on that gets blamed for people somehow playing worse than other times. If it's not 200% first win bonus, it's a temporary campaign, or directives, or some kind of mission chain that is easiest to accomplish by being daft (e.g. "score a ton of torpedo hits in Royal Navy ships" from 2017, before the release of RN DDs...)

The truth is that the presence of potatoes is fairly constant, but how much you notice them varies with your own performance and just with how lucky you happen to be on any given day.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,388 posts
2,939 battles
3 hours ago, SHARKFORCE1975 said:

And how on Earth do all these players end up in my freakin' team!?

WG uses dices to periodically select 5 players at random and alter the MM to concentrate the worst possible players around them.

Okay, and now that sarcasm is out of the way, it's time for unpopular opinions(tm) :

Skill-based MM is the solution to your complaints.

• Cool 2

[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles

By writing that disclaimer about your personal performance, you have outed yourself as someone who cares about his stats.

I do, too, as do most people who visit this forum, and that's our problem:

We compete with a large majority of players who don't even know they can mount camo, train their captain or how to actually win in this game. For them it's all about the pew pew and big explosions.

You are like the guy who enjoys difficult but rewarding art-house dramas, and complains that his friends only watch Michael Bay movies.

"Hey, did you watch that great indie flick about the woman who was i~"

"BOOORING! I heard Rey will be nude in the next Star Wars. Wanna show her my light saber, right guys?!"

It sucks, but I fear there is no way to ever change that. Ignorance is bliss – I envy those people, always have.

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,689 posts
19,842 battles
18 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

WG uses dices to periodically select 5 players at random and alter the MM to concentrate the worst possible players around them.

Okay, and now that sarcasm is out of the way, it's time for unpopular opinions(tm) :

Skill-based MM is the solution to your complaints.

No, it's not. 

Skill based MM will do Nothing good, and thankfully, WG will never implement it.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,388 posts
2,939 battles
4 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

No, it's not. 

Skill based MM will do Nothing good, and thankfully, WG will never implement it.

The blind hate flows so quickly with that subject, it's always amusing.

I'm not gonna start the debate yet another time. Because amongst the billion times I did, the best argument I've ever heard against skill-based MM is "we won't be able to pwn noobs like before".

• Cool 1

Players
7,254 posts
245 battles
7 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

I'm not gonna start the debate yet another time. Because amongst the billion times I did, the best argument I've ever heard against skill-based MM is "we won't be able to pwn noobs like before".

You would need to replace ranked with it though (too be honest im not sure why ranked isn't like this in the beginning someone got 630k in miss thunderer during ranked because they faced nutters from the lagoon.)

Not sure how viable it would be as a seperate game mode since, out the number of 'players' actively playing in total a percentage of that will be bots so, the overall number could be far lower.

Was expecting something like league or csgo or AOE 2 or chess in how this would be delt with in terms of stat progression, ranks and leagues plus rewards overall.

Players
1,423 posts
8,750 battles
4 hours ago, SHARKFORCE1975 said:

I'm just an average player who likes to play this game with his brain soaked in alcohol from time to time

Funny thing, I barely have any division battles, however I can say that 90% of these battles were due being drunk enought to actually try out that thing called "teamwork" which eludes me so much.

[CAIN]
Players
4,689 posts
19,842 battles
51 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

Curiously enough, i was thinking how quickly the blind ignorance is flowing, everytime someone Claims that skill based MM is the solution to all our woes. 

And i have yet to hear or read an Argument that would even in the slightest speak for skill based MM, but nobody was able to deliver yet...and nobody ever will. 

Players
1,942 posts
13,621 battles

So, have we hit rock bottom yet? You'd hope so after 4+ years of a playerbase with, apparently, continuously declining skillz.

But just in case, let me check...

bola-cristal.jpg

Nah, I'm back from 2055 where different forumites are making the same comments week in week out.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,388 posts
2,939 battles
18 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

and nobody ever will.

With such a way of thinking, it's not surprising nobody bothers to even try with you.

Players
171 posts
23,666 battles

It's not so much skill is the problem it's the mindset of the player. They think they are driving a new car and don't want to get a scratch on it. Seriously it's a pixel image. Just get out there and get stuck in. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 2

Players
34 posts

Stats are relative to the group you are playing within. If you change the group your stats change. For better or worse. If your friends have different level you cannot play with them either.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,364 posts
25,123 battles
2 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

No, it's not. 

It is already skill based MM, but it is working exactly the other way you expect. 

Players
2,393 posts
5 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Thought it was a thread about making Vodka...

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
3 hours ago, Uglesett said:

There's always some :etc_swear: going on that gets blamed for people somehow playing worse than other times. If it's not 200% first win bonus, it's a temporary campaign, or directives, or some kind of mission chain that is easiest to accomplish by being daft (e.g. "score a ton of torpedo hits in Royal Navy ships" from 2017, before the release of RN DDs...)

The truth is that the presence of potatoes is fairly constant, but how much you notice them varies with your own performance and just with how lucky you happen to be on any given day.

I know what you mean and all, and I'm not saying that you are wrong.

But regarding Bias

Have you look to the post battles reports in Port?

If there are, let's say 7 defeats and 3 or 4 victories in 10 or 11 games, it isn't confirmation bias anymore, right?

• Cool 1

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,307 battles
Vor 48 Minuten, Butterdoll sagte:

I know what you mean and all, and I'm not saying that you are wrong.

But regarding Bias

Have you look to the post battles reports in Port?

If there are, let's say 7 defeats and 3 or 4 victories in 10 or 11 games, it isn't confirmation bias anymore, right?

It can still be

I had days were I played 5 matches and lost all of them

But I also had days were I played 5 matches and won all of them

If I ignore the good days and cry on the forums on one of the bad days, then I am subject to confirmation bias

statistics (like win rate and potato games) is only ever accurate when you are working with large sample sizes i.e. hundreds of games in the case of WoWs

Think about it like this: Are you a potato? If not then the enemy team is statistically guaranteed to have more potatoes than your team

afterall your team can only have 11 potatoes while the enemy team can have a total of 12

If each player that isn't you has the same chance of being a potato (which we assume to be the case) then the enemy team will always have a greater chance to have potatoes than your team 

• Cool 2