You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AndyCx

The current meta

68 comments in this topic

[TWFK]
Beta Tester
39 posts
12,967 battles

Am I the only one who is finding the current meta really unenjoyable to play?

When WoW fırst came out I loved the game but I played 4 games today and am just fed up wıth thıs boring, static, HE spamming. If I wanted to hide behind an island the whole time I can play light cruisers, it shouldn´t be the same style of play for everything, but currently pushing in is basically suicide.

Perhaps this is what the majority of the players want but I am not enjoying playing the game at the moment and that´s a shame as I would really like to try the new RN cruisers. 

Is it just me?

• Cool 24

Players
3,432 posts

No it is not just you I am seeing it more and more too if your in a CV it is very frustrating when trying to help your team only to find the all trying to hug a rock, equally as bad when your a BB trying to push and all of a sudden your the tip of the spear facing the entire red fleet wondering where your support, or lack of is, in DD's and Cruisers I rarely last long enough to make a difference anyway, unless divisioned up with folk who know what they are doing:Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
28,155 posts
14,910 battles
16 minutes ago, AndyCx said:

Am I the only one who is finding the current meta really unenjoyable to play?

When WoW fırst came out I loved the game but I played 4 games today and am just fed up wıth thıs boring, static, HE spamming. If I wanted to hide behind an island the whole time I can play light cruisers, it shouldn´t be the same style of play for everything, but currently pushing in is basically suicide.

Perhaps this is what the majority of the players want but I am not enjoying playing the game at the moment and that´s a shame as I would really like to try the new RN cruisers. 

Is it just me?

Some ships play like this for over 4 years. Nothing new.

• Learn the maps
  • Learn the areas where you can push
  • No need to play a map the same way every time
  • Rushing in blindly will get you sunk
  • Waiting in the back will make you lose
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 8
  • Bad 4

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,438 posts
18,171 battles

I agree.

iChase put up a vid some time ago. It's a game form 0.4.0 or something like that and he is nostalgic about how different everything was back then.

I find that the game has become too complicated.

I find that the playerbase have become more toxic and unforgiving.

I find that the meta has become too static and boring.

I find the balance of the game to be horrible.

I find the events to be copy-paste, overcomplicated and lacking valuable rewards.

The new Pan-Asia premiums released two days ago are the first ones in forever that I really didn't want anything to do with.

I have nightmares about the comming submarines.

The core game is still viable but it's squandered by a superficial playerbase and bad business decisions.

It looks like I will drop this like a bad habit as soon as I find something else that can take it's place.

Sad but true. 

• Cool 21

Weekend Tester, Players
1,735 posts
7,891 battles
Vor 35 Minuten, Hanse77SWE sagte:

I agree.

iChase put up a vid some time ago. It's a game form 0.4.0 or something like that and he is nostalgic about how different everything was back then.

I find that the game has become too complicated.

I find that the playerbase have become more toxic and unforgiving.

I find that the meta has become too static and boring.

I find the balance of the game to be horrible.

I find the events to be copy-paste, overcomplicated and lacking valuable rewards.

The new Pan-Asia premiums released two days ago are the first ones in forever that I really didn't want anything to do with.

I have nightmares about the comming submarines.

The core game is still viable but it's squandered by a superficial playerbase and bad business decisions.

It looks like I will drop this like a bad habit as soon as I find something else that can take it's place.

Sad but true. 

Seeing this video makes me kinda sad. Good old times :cap_old:

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,799 posts
7,242 battles

Once i sayd, keep in mind this was for the test server, when it's not in use for a new update, instead of turning it off, have WoWs CBT version on it glitches and all, i bet many would love that. 

:Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
28,155 posts
14,910 battles
14 minutes ago, _Abyss_Watch3r_ said:

Seeing this video makes me kinda sad. Good old times :cap_old:

1905716929_shot-20_01.17_19_08.28-0903Dynamicclassicgameplay.thumb.jpg.bb7c58aaa3efcf519a66886b3efc6134.jpg

Yes, battle is 5 minutes running and look where the BB are. And the cruiser sitting behind that island. Completly different game. :Smile_great:

• Funny 2

[GWR]
Players
506 posts
9,031 battles

really enjoying playing the Perth right now, mobile smoke screen helps but those guns are still short range so you have to get in close, bit nerve wracking kiting from BBs but it's better than camping behind an island, i have the new RN Albemarle and i like it very much, bit of kiting/camping running around....good fun....until you get uptiered and face Smolensks

• Cool 2

[LADA]
Players
618 posts
9,039 battles

The higher the tier you go - the more passive and campy the games become. 

- CV rework leads to teams blobbing up - no one wants to be the 'odd one out ' that gets dumped on. 

- Playing concealment games is now much harder thanks to REEEEEwork - so you have less chance to close range to enemies without being spotted and shot up. This impacts a lot of the mobile cruisers that rely on stealth.

- DDs are hunted by plenty of elements now - rapid fire CLs, gunboat DDs, lots of radar, CVs. they have no incentive to push up so the team loses vision control. No vision control = no incentive to push when it is safe to do so.

- RU BS BBs have taken brainless bow camping and turned it into an artform. Do you want to push in on that Kremlin with laser accuracy that gets more accurate the closer you get? Didn't think so.... Lots of additions to the game discourage you from closing range.

- HE spamming in insane quantities is now a given. Very few people like advancing into a hail of HE - so no one is willing to be the first to put themselves in harms way and get toasted. Not helped by lots of CLs that take the spam to moronic levels *cough* smolensk.

- Lots of opportunities to get instablapped for cruisers now - plenty of big guns with excellent accuracy (457s). Making a mistake or poorly timed turn can send you back to port very quickly - so players are cautious when up against lots of firepower. Power creep doesn't help.

So the meta is simply the playerbase reacting to the conditions that WG have added over time. Like the whole 'arty prevents camping' argument in WoT.

I can see submarines simply multiplying the problem x100. 

• Cool 17

Weekend Tester, Players
1,735 posts
7,891 battles
Vor 14 Minuten, ColonelPete sagte:

1905716929_shot-20_01.17_19_08.28-0903Dynamicclassicgameplay.thumb.jpg.bb7c58aaa3efcf519a66886b3efc6134.jpg

Yes, battle is 5 minutes running and look where the BB are. And the cruiser sitting behind that island. Completly different game. :Smile_great:

It actually was. Camping and sniping became worse and worse over time, due to questionable dicisions and tech tree gimmicks.

BBs were always using their range. Beeing too agressive resulted in a quick death, pretty much like today. And of course were some cruisers using islands, but they were in the minority.

Overall it was more active and to some extent a more enjoyable experience then today.

But you now.. retro glasses and such. Back then everything were better..

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
28,155 posts
14,910 battles
9 minutes ago, _Abyss_Watch3r_ said:

It actually was. Camping and sniping became worse and worse over time, due to questionable dicisions and tech tree gimmicks.

BBs were always using their range. Beeing too agressive resulted in a quick death, pretty much like today. And of course were some cruisers using islands, but they were in the minority.

Overall it was more active and to some extent a more enjoyable experience then today.

But you now.. retro glasses and such. Back then everything were better..

It was not much different. You just have more different ships in the teams.

And even today you can push in a BB, when you know what you are doing. Staying back is a tactic when you do not know what to do.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
320 posts
8,854 battles

The fundamental difference in game is space and time.... As with WoT, WeeGee have gradually filled the game up with more and more gimmicks with the net result, really, is shorter games. Indeed, the meta is approaching WoT levels of games essentially being decided either by matchmaker not equally dividing gimmick ships, or because one or more critical team members do something idiotic. 

• Cool 4

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,763 battles

I don't like the HE spamming meta.

Especially HE combined with a CV is nasty, since all AA just dies to the HE spam.

Players
3,282 posts
19,938 battles

The meta at tier X has always been a snooze fest. It resembles a home for the elderly, not an exciting multiplayer pvp environment.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3

Players
598 posts
3,422 battles
2 hours ago, Europizza said:

The meta at tier X has always been a snooze fest. It resembles a home for the elderly, not an exciting multiplayer pvp environment.

I loathe T10 with a passion. I have much better games 5 to 9 with 7 being a bit of a personal nemesis tier for me.

• Cool 4

Players
445 posts

Try 10 games, 10 loses, camping BB's until they go boom, cruisers yolo, they go boom, dd's capping and CV splattered, they go boom, no team play just stupid players. It's just one long stomp depending on which side your on its fun or depressing.

Perfect example of current game, I was on the left in light cruiser, getting the crap shot out of me, lasted 2 minutes, before I gave up and just put ship on autopilot and left. Jesus even the bots in co-op are playing better !!

I only played today to complete Luna directive and the rewards don't match the time, bargain basement, premium time and a few nasty flags and camos, wonder why WG even bother.

Do WG care, no, can they fix it, doubt it, just another day in once good game gone to the dogs by a company with no clue, no direction or motivation, but greed !

So i throw it out there to WG to comment on plans?

@MrConway

pathetic.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
121 posts
8,015 battles

GUYS

come back down to the middle tiers.. i have forgotten how much fun they can be. am going to make a concerted effort to keep away from top tiers (only a couple of those ships anyhow)

lower tiers are more honest somehow

• Cool 2

[-GGS-]
Players
496 posts
11,128 battles

Another thing that I find funny is how people dont really understand what to do in the game.

I just played a Daring game. No CV, 2 radars and 2 DDs. I chose to go Shima style on the outside of the cap instead of going in since I didnt know where the radars were. Turns out both of them were hiding behind "my" cap and both the enemy DDs were in it. All the while my team were pressuring me to go in the cap "Daring wtf are you doing".

End results I got 3 kills and took the cap. My team dominate the side even though we were outnumbered as the enemy were completely starved for vision. On the other side the enemy got steamrolled as they were outnumbered and lacked vision as well.

Is this really so hard to understand? Sitting in a contested cap is a waste of time and potential. It will also most likely get you killed.

• Cool 4

[3-RTR]
Players
39 posts
6,899 battles

When the game was new WG had a simple rock-paper-scissors game mechanic.  BBs killed CAs, CAs killed DDs and DDs killed BBs using their torps.  CV's were always a bit of problem being unstoppable in some tiers and useless in others, but, basically the game worked.  Problem is a "free to play" game depends on new micro and not so micro transactions to keep going. The original Cleveland was about the only HE spammer and it was regarded as OP but not game breaking.

Each new line has needed distinguishing from the rest and that means gimmicks which has particularly affected CA and DD game play. We now have CA's with insane rates of fire that are actually lethal to BBs.  We have DDs that have no/few torps but insane rates of HE spam.  The long range of CA HE spam is a real issue.  Where as the original Cleveland was a dangerous opponent it would get flanked if it camped behind an island.  Now, the likes of the Smolensk can sit behind an island and throw out such firepower that a BB will be slag long before the cruiser is flanked.  Worse, the current meta has stopped ships from performing their original in game roles that (somewhat) resembled their real life counterparts.  Cruisers don't scout, don't spot, and don't shield BBs from DDs because they are stationary behind islands or hiding in their own smoke.  DD's still have the ability to spot and scout but only if the MM is kind with regards to radar ships and there are no CVs.  The only ships in open water are BBs - and their only defence against the HE spam is to keep the range high.  It's ironic that games now often feature CA's and DDs stuck behind islands or in their own smoke spamming the "I want intelligence data" and looking for BBs to spot for them - a complete reverse of the old game style.

I've enjoyed this game and I am grateful to WG for many hours of fun but I really struggle to see where we go from here.

• Cool 14

Beta Tester
131 posts
30,773 battles
5 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Some ships play like this for over 4 years. Nothing new.

• Learn the maps
  • Learn the areas where you can push
  • No need to play a map the same way every time
  • Rushing in blindly will get you sunk
  • Waiting in the back will make you lose

that's not the point he is making, yes some ships always played like this but what he is trying to point out is that it has got worse.

do you just come on here to refute everything anyone says, do you find it fun to poo poo every point someone makes no matter how valid?

or are you some sort of paid WG shill?

• Cool 8

Players
218 posts
13,224 battles

One of the biggest flaws in this game is how heavily it supports defending and curses attackers. You play any other FPS game there will be players attacking and moving. You play RTS games and there will be attacking and defending. You play wows and there will only be camping, max range camping, island camping, smoke camping, bow-on camping, press-reverse-button-camping and all the other forms of camping.

There are no tools for attackers but tons of tools for defenders. How can a campers paradise game actually be entertaining?

The greatest tournament this game has is King of the Seas. Whats is it about? Camping. Best teams camping. Streamers yawning because nothing happens in a camping game. Hours on end of experienced teams camping.

Is the current meta very unenjoyable? Yes. Tons of veterans have quit game completely and rage quit easily to other games several times in a month. They do come back because they love ships overall but barely can stand this current meta. Tons of basic mistakes and flaws in this game that don't exist in other games. This is WGs doing. People working on their gimmick and balans department should be out of job. They have no idea whats going on. They can't see it from the "magnificent ivory tower of spreadsheet".

• Cool 17