You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Atorpad

I wonder about this spotter plane design

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,799 posts
7,242 battles

All spotter planes on these ships that are not CV were ment to land on the water and be hoisted back up on deck via the ships crane. 

:Smile_honoring:

[TACHA]
Players
1,476 posts
16,482 battles

But how many times can you activate the consumable ? I agree with the OP - should be a float plane.

• Cool 1

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
725 posts
14,680 battles
1 minute ago, triumphgt6 said:

But how many times can you activate the consumable ? I agree with the OP - should be a float plane.

The ship would need to completely stop to pick up the plane, thats a bad idea in a naval fight.

• Cool 3

[TMCB]
[TMCB]
Players
70 posts
14,378 battles
29 minutes ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

The ship would need to completely stop to pick up the plane, thats a bad idea in a naval fight.

I think the OP is pointing out that the plane as modelled has no floats, thus would need to ditch in the sea, or find a convenient nearby island to land on.

• Cool 4

Players
149 posts
4,401 battles
46 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

I wonder how this plane lands

shot-20_01.26_13_22.59-0249.thumb.jpg.0442a5149e8aa507309872e422417327.jpg on water ?

Yep  cant land missing pontons  sounds like someone forgot something during model building phase?

How about ultimate spotter plane for carriers?

1*V2K9qPf_pE2_e_S736Bqfw.jpeg

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,600 posts
10,265 battles

I wonder how they reload torpedoes at sea. I wonder how they repair a broken gun at sea. I wonder.... Etc. Etc.

Just enjoy the models. Realism is not on WGs priority list. 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
725 posts
14,680 battles
1 minute ago, Sintares said:

I think the OP is pointing out that the plane as modelled has no floats, thus would need to ditch in the sea, or find a convenient nearby island to land on.

No i reacted to Triumphgt6 who said it should be a floatplane, what would be picked up every time after a launch.

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,668 posts
10,193 battles

Iirc, didn't the Italians just have "normal planes"/ie planes without floats on catapults, and then they would land on airbases, as the fleet was to operate close to mainland anyways?

Have once read something along those lines, but RM isn't really my area of expertise.

• Cool 5

[TACHA]
Players
1,476 posts
16,482 battles
1 minute ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

No i reacted to Triumphgt6 who said it should be a floatplane, what would be picked up every time after a launch.

You are quite correct but in real life, the plane could stay aloft for quite some time and the battle would be over by the time it came to pick it up. I do wonder if the Italians could have used land planes as they tended to operate reasonably close to their bases so the plane could fly to base. However this would seem unlikely.

[O-R-P]
Players
2,293 posts
22,305 battles

Reggiane Re.2000 fighter plane was intended to land on... land airfields as Italian Navy/Army had numerous airbases around Mediterrean.

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,438 posts
18,105 battles

I've read somewhere that the italian navy used landbased planes that returned to an airfield or ditched at sea. Since most of the mediterranean is in range from an itailan air base most of the war this might work well enough to skip building specific floatplanes.

[XTREM]
Players
1,884 posts
14,409 battles

How it lands aside, the weird and somewhat triggering thing about catapult fighters for me is that since rework they summon several planes at once from the same catapult. 

The issue is not that several planes are summoned, it's that the animation could have been done better. 

e.g. Have the visuals show the launching of one plane from the catapult. Then have the rest come down from the sky to meet it, a la CV fighter consumable. 

The result: exact same effect, smoother animation, less ''wtf''

• Cool 2

Players
149 posts
4,401 battles
36 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I wonder how they reload torpedoes at sea. I wonder how they repair a broken gun at sea. I wonder.... Etc. Etc.

Just enjoy the models. Realism is not on WGs priority list. 

https://www.quora.com/How-did-WW2-destroyers-reload-their-torpedo-tubes

• Cool 3

Players
1,852 posts
3,527 battles

Planes such as that were supposed to be expendables and they were used to give "better" fighter cover to convoys; as performances of float-plane fighters, such as the A6M2-N "Rufe" for example, were inferior to other aicrafts due to the weight of the floats and their drag.

A6M2-N_Rufe.jpg

If fact, the A6M2-N "Rufe" was around 100 km/h slower than his land-based variant the A6M2 Model 21 (435 km/h against 533 km/h)

Plus, there were very few aircraft (land-based, i mean) with a long enough range to cover convoys, especially in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, at least until the P-38 came along.

Aircrafts like that Reggiane Re. 2003 (the two seat, reconnissance version of the Reggiane Re. 2000 "Falco I" and the Re. 2002 "Ariete") and the Hawker Hurricane, which had a similar "development" in order to give cover to the allied convoys in the Atlantic, were supposed to either land at a nearby base, if within range, or (most likely) perform a water landing where the pilot would have been recovered by one of the ships (not necessarily the one that launched it).

154ef52cd032cca734308a6246a9d0b2.jpg

In this spoiler you'll find two pictures of the Re. 2000 "Falco I" during catapult tests i assume

Spoiler

e7fcbc83396360e9926a4cc5f1e8fe8a.jpg

Reggiane_Re.2000_Catapultabile_-_Vittori

• Cool 5

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,982 battles

British CAM ships were catapult equipped merchant navy ships, ie civilian, that carried a 'retired' Hawker Hurricane fighter. 

They were intended as single use unless the convoy was close enough to land.

They were not intended to defend the convoy from an air strike. The AA was intended for that. Instead they were to counter the Condor long range reconnaissance bomber. These would stooge around a convoy for hours guiding U-boats in for the attack. The would circle outside of AA range. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship

Edited by Cambera_1
Spelling
  • Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,096 posts
5,462 battles
36 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

British CAM ships were catapult equipped merchant navy ships, ie civilian, that carried a 'retired' Hawker Hurricane fighter. 

Occasionally carried a Fairey Fulmar instead should be noted.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,335 posts
24,848 battles

It is a Russian floatplane, comrade, da?

It can land wherever is needed without floats, even on water, because it is the creme of the floatplanes! 

• Funny 3