Sign in to follow this  
Europizza

Udaloi: Frankenstein's monster DD

5 comments in this topic

Players
3,282 posts
19,938 battles

I've reset the russian DD lines and ran into this gem of an 'upgrade'. Wtf is wong with this 40.000 XP thing that upgrading it's hull magically makes it gain +0.4 km detection, have a +55 s reload to the same torps next to a small HP buff and a useless AA buff? Is this actually true or a port inaccuracy?

image.thumb.png.ef5600eeab883489cb7359c500ac49c0.png

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,103 posts
5,480 battles

Turns your torp launchers from trips to quints for one thing..

Players
10,199 posts
11,986 battles
3 hours ago, Europizza said:

I've reset the russian DD lines and ran into this gem of an 'upgrade'. Wtf is wong with this 40.000 XP thing that upgrading it's hull magically makes it gain +0.4 km detection, have a +55 s reload to the same torps next to a small HP buff and a useless AA buff? Is this actually true or a port inaccuracy?

image.thumb.png.ef5600eeab883489cb7359c500ac49c0.png

You upgrade fish launchers into quintuples, giving you 10+5 fish payload.

Concealment debuff comes from times when Udaloi was gunboat through and through... and thats how you should play her. Even more so with that nice set of consumables. Open water jackass? Why not. Vape nation? As well. Heal? Da camrade.

Players
131 posts
5,214 battles

I'm also grinding through the Udaloi and I don't understand Hull B in any way. (In fact the ship itself makes no sense to me at all - and that's coming from somebody who played Minsk without any concealment improvement whatsoever).

I mean, Hull B forces you into a long range playstyle since your concealment goes from stupid to absurd. So what is the use of those 8KM torps when you're not supposed to be closer than 12KM from the enemy team? If at least it was 10KM, like... I don't know... the other 2 DDs in the line around it...  you could use them when kitting. But 8KM? Is that just to torp a DD who decided to sneak near you and started tearing you a new one from within smoke?

I'm at a point where I question the point of taking Hull B altogether. At least with 6.76KM concealment you can still manage to harass bad DDs out of caps. In fact I faced a Hull B Udaloi the other day while in my stock Udaloi. He didn't have a good time. His additional 3K HP was only able to absorb some of the damage my team did to him while I was casually spotting him. I'm sure he was enjoying those additional torps and their range...

Honestly, bad concealment DDs at high tier don't seem to make sense when so many ships have great accuracy. Minsk was easy to play... Udaloi, doesn't click with me whatsoever...

[ALYEN]
Players
1,868 posts
3,916 battles

Well ... I ran a full concealment built Udaloi at some time in the past ... it was actually working as you had about a 700m stealth torp windows .... but it was still a long range gunboat ...

Udaloi is the odd one in the line between Ognevoi and Grozovoi ... It's a long range gunboat in the Tashkent style while not having the speed ...

Sign in to follow this