Shigatsu_fighter

Smolensk

33 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
1,879 battles

I uninstall the game now until you change something since the smolensk is in the game it doesnt makes fun you cant play dd or bb this flamethrowing long range sniper destroys the whole gameplay.
in every tier 9-10 match there a several smolensk with 18-19km range.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[MAS-X]
Players
431 posts
10,619 battles
On 1/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, Shigatsu_fighter said:

I uninstall the game now until you change something since the smolensk is in the game it doesnt makes fun you cant play dd or bb this flamethrowing long range sniper destroys the whole gameplay.
in every tier 9-10 match there a several smolensk with 18-19km range.

you have no idea how close i was to do the same

instead, i guess i will just play tier 1-7 for the next few months

• Cool 2

[-0_0-]
Players
212 posts
8,800 battles

yeah I've bought the ship when it came out before I knew it was so OP, I regret buying it, wish I could have my coal back. It's a no brain ship, spamming OP RPM and fire chance HE shell ship, from smoke, with hydro, with long range torps, with great AA, with good shell arcs, it's an Anlanta on adrenaline and crack and it destroys the gameplay. I don't want to play the ship, I don't want to piss off other players and farm damage easy, so she's a port queen, but that's stupid really.... They should rebalance the ship asap, but I don't think it's going to happen, because it's been a long time now since the ship was released. Still hope WG does something about it though. And yes I play less high tiers now because of that ship and some other OP russian BBs and so much radar when I want to play as a DD.

• Cool 3

Players
106 posts
12,656 battles

Maybe i see it wrong but this ship do not much damage and you not see it much on top of the score board in the games. Shure it,s a spammer but in games you not see it back in the amount of damage you doing with this ship.

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,766 battles
12 hours ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

Maybe i see it wrong but this ship do not much damage

Excuse me?

image.thumb.png.208966431fd3d2085ce6298576c0355d.png

Can you show me another cruiser with that much high damage records?

Players
106 posts
12,656 battles
2 hours ago, TheBrut3 said:

Excuse me?

image.thumb.png.208966431fd3d2085ce6298576c0355d.png

Can you show me another cruiser with that much high damage records?

It,s pure my opinion with the Smolensk. I have play 153 battles with this ship ( 17 points captain ) and the avarage damage i have done it,s only 63K. When i compare it with my results with the Hindenburg ( avarage damage 58K ) than it is not so much more powerful than other cruisers in the game with average damage.

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,766 battles
23 minutes ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

the avarage damage i have done it,s only 63K. When i compare it with my results with the Hindenburg ( avarage damage 58K )

That's almost 10% more.

It's still a broken ship.

[77MM]
Players
412 posts
14,590 battles

The Smolensk, like a lot of OP ships  (including any CV), can have a massive (i.e. too much) influence on the game  - when played by a good player.

But that's always the problem with Wargaming's balance with a speadsheet approach. For every good smolensk or cv player,  you'll get a lot more bad ones. It has low HP compared to other cruisers - so an idiot can likely get wiped out easily. So the spreadsheet says "not OP". Meanwhile, you get your a** burnt down by a smoke firing, HE spamming DPM monster.

• Cool 1

[_I_]
Players
687 posts
19,083 battles
17 hours ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

Maybe i see it wrong but this ship do not much damage and you not see it much on top of the score board in the games. Shure it,s a spammer but in games you not see it back in the amount of damage you doing with this ship.

I can make you a ship that has balanced stats:

The ship spawns at start of game like all others. It fires 1 homing missile that automatically hits the enemy with most hitpoints (edit: and kills said ship) and can not be avoided. Then the lauching ship has a certain %- chance to self destruct and sink or it will automatically flee and survive.

It should have a well balanced damage, kill radio and survival rate! But will it be fun to play with or against?

Players
106 posts
12,656 battles
3 minutes ago, Nibenay78 said:

I can make you a ship that has balanced stats:

The ship spawns at start of game like all others. It fires 1 homing missile that automatically hits the enemy with most hitpoints and can not be avoided. Then the lauching ship has a certain %- chance to self destruct and sink or it will automatically flee and survive.

It should have a well balanced damage, kill radio and survival rate! But will it be fun to play with or against?

For shure it,s not fun to play with or against it. :cap_rambo:

[_I_]
Players
687 posts
19,083 battles
2 minutes ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

For shure it,s not fun to play with or against it. :cap_rambo:

One of my favorite ship is minotaur, but for all its strong sides, its very easy to get removed from the gaming area if you make a mistake. Its also reasonably easy to mitigate the AP spam by showing your rear end to it. Smolensk players are not punished to the same extent for making mistakes. Due to overpen crap, they can occationally come out almost undamaged from massive salvos while other cruisers will be shredded.

Players
106 posts
12,656 battles

The Smolensk is just a paper ship with a low HP and once you get detected they gonna take you out of the game for shure. 

It can shoot a lot of shells but when you see that you get with 500 targets hits offen gets maximum 50% penetration hits and start than maybe between 7 and 10 fires (with demolition Expert and IF for HE shells) . When i play with a ship like King George V that feels much more effective even it,s a tier 7 ship.

[-0_0-]
Players
212 posts
8,800 battles
5 hours ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

The Smolensk is just a paper ship with a low HP and once you get detected they gonna take you out of the game for shure. 

It can shoot a lot of shells but when you see that you get with 500 targets hits offen gets maximum 50% penetration hits and start than maybe between 7 and 10 fires (with demolition Expert and IF for HE shells) . When i play with a ship like King George V that feels much more effective even it,s a tier 7 ship.

But the problem is the ship is mostly never detected. I have the 16.6 km build (you can even upgrade it to around 19 km I've read) and you can stay in smoke most of the time in a battle and outside radar ranges. With IFHE it does quite alot of damage on avarage and still have a high chance on setting fires because the RPM is also very high, many shells, very quick reload + nice chance on fire per shell = very high chance on fires throughout the matches, activate hydro when going in smoke so you can dodge incoming torps... About the stats, Smolensk is on rank 4 of the best tier 10 cruisers and because many bad players YOLO with it and die quick with only making for example 10K damage or none, they let the avarage stats of the ship drop so much that it seems to WG that the ship is not OP. But in the hands of a avarage to unicum player the ship is very easy to play. The biggest problem with the ship is it sets too much fires and too quick and the armor is so thin that AP does almost nothing to it. By now most players know to use HE against the ship so that's less broken at the moment, but the fires, fires fires...... must be nerfed.

Players
3,096 posts
17,549 battles
12 hours ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

It,s pure my opinion with the Smolensk. I have play 153 battles with this ship ( 17 points captain ) and the avarage damage i have done it,s only 63K. When i compare it with my results with the Hindenburg (average damage 58K ) than it is not so much more powerful than other cruisers in the game with average damage.

Those are really low averages.  

- for all players Smolensk average dmg is 81k while Hindenburg is 71k (wows-numbers.com).

- or unicums smolensk average dmg 129k while hindenburg 114k

10 hours ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

Funny or serious?:Smile_smile:

Yesterday i had 268k 6 kill game with 950ish hits and some 20 fires where I ended up alone vs full hp mogami and 50% hp iowa. Me (smolensk) bow in at 10 km with them closing on either flank. Mogami literally melted in the space of time Iowa could fire twice, and Iowa only got to fire twice more before it was all over. Meanwhile my smolensk recieved a grand total of ~10k dmg since iowa overpenned or bounced. You try doing that with KGV.

5 hours ago, Mrs_Ragdoll said:

But the problem is the ship is mostly never detected. I have the 16.6 km build (you can even upgrade it to around 19 km I've read) and you can stay in smoke most of the time in a battle and outside radar ranges. ....

Agree. It is one of those ships that can hit 100k dmg in 10 minutes while just derping around.

Also i can recommend the 19 km build. You dont even need smoke to burn down BBs anymore, just open water gunboat and dodge. Burned down a very salty Kremlin today who complained in chat about OP ships...:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

Players
106 posts
12,656 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Those are really low averages.  

- for all players Smolensk average dmg is 81k while Hindenburg is 71k (wows-numbers.com).

- or unicums smolensk average dmg 129k while hindenburg 114k

Funny or serious?:Smile_smile:

Yesterday i had 268k 6 kill game with 950ish hits and some 20 fires where I ended up alone vs full hp mogami and 50% hp iowa. Me (smolensk) bow in at 10 km with them closing on either flank. Mogami literally melted in the space of time Iowa could fire twice, and Iowa only got to fire twice more before it was all over. Meanwhile my smolensk recieved a grand total of ~10k dmg since iowa overpenned or bounced. You try doing that with KGV.

Agree. It is one of those ships that can hit 100k dmg in 10 minutes while just derping around.

Also i can recommend the 19 km build. You dont even need smoke to burn down BBs anymore, just open water gunboat and dodge. Burned down a very salty Kremlin today who complained in chat about OP ships...:Smile_smile:

Proberly is also how a player plays a game, A lot of players switch captains to have a 19 points captains on their ships when they get in a battle. Those numbers are just average numbers but you only have a good indication when you can compare those numbers with the avarage captain skills. 

Last night i have try the Smolensk with a 19 km build and try to stay in maximum range , 188 targets hits, 62 penetrations en 126 non penetrations. 5 set on fires and just 45.663 damage. Proberly i was not in a good position during the game but for shure this numbers are really bad for a ships that so much players find it to much OP.

• Cool 1

Players
2,080 posts
16,264 battles
19 hours ago, pjotter_destroyer said:

It,s pure my opinion with the Smolensk. I have play 153 battles with this ship ( 17 points captain ) and the avarage damage i have done it,s only 63K. When i compare it with my results with the Hindenburg ( avarage damage 58K ) than it is not so much more powerful than other cruisers in the game with average damage.

This, in a nutshell, is why balancing ships around average players doesn't work - this is how you get Smolensk-level balancing. It'd be easy to think the Smolensk is fine based on these numbers. Problem is, and no offense, but anyone actually decent to good does a lot more with it fairly easily. Smolensk is broken. It has magical ranged shells with insane dpm and is an overpen pinata to boot. At least make it as easy to cit as the Mino, if it'll have this much damage output it has to pay for it.

Instead, it's overpen city if you're shooting at it with bb ap, while also getting smoke, hydro, and very decent torps (?!). WG, protip: if you wanted to prove there's no russian bias in this game, this isn't how you do it. 

• Cool 3

Players
67 posts
11,835 battles

I have Smolensk and I really don't know what the fuss is about. In my hands I can have good games in it and bad games. I have a 45% WR (102 Random solo games) which is pretty crap and I suspect that 'most' players will be average in it. Fire damage can be healed. It's one-shot fodder when spotted, vulnerable to torps in smoke, and at max range the shells take 3 weeks to land. I like playing it, but maybe once or twice every day or so.

Sure, just about any ship will be 'OP' when in the hands of a good player that knows how to handle it instinctively. I have 68% WR in Scharnhorst (93 Random solo games) and is that shouted as OP? Nope. I'm just an average player, but the Scharn suits me more than the Smolly.

As a DD player, the Smolly hasn't caused me too many problems - strengths and weaknesses as all ships. My Yugumo can spot it, torp it, keep it spotted if conditions allow. Smolly doesn't have radar so I like being up against it in a DD.

Now, the Kremlin? I my eyes, that's OP. That thing can take 6 Yugu/Shima torps and still have 2/3 HP left. OP! OP! OP! :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
106 posts
12,656 battles
On 1/31/2020 at 12:20 PM, str100 said:

I have Smolensk and I really don't know what the fuss is about. In my hands I can have good games in it and bad games. I have a 45% WR (102 Random solo games) which is pretty crap and I suspect that 'most' players will be average in it. Fire damage can be healed. It's one-shot fodder when spotted, vulnerable to torps in smoke, and at max range the shells take 3 weeks to land. I like playing it, but maybe once or twice every day or so.

Sure, just about any ship will be 'OP' when in the hands of a good player that knows how to handle it instinctively. I have 68% WR in Scharnhorst (93 Random solo games) and is that shouted as OP? Nope. I'm just an average player, but the Scharn suits me more than the Smolly.

As a DD player, the Smolly hasn't caused me too many problems - strengths and weaknesses as all ships. My Yugumo can spot it, torp it, keep it spotted if conditions allow. Smolly doesn't have radar so I like being up against it in a DD.

Now, the Kremlin? I my eyes, that's OP. That thing can take 6 Yugu/Shima torps and still have 2/3 HP left. OP! OP! OP! :cap_haloween:

Thats also my opinion. I have played now 175 battles is the Smolensk and when i look to the stats there is nothing special on this ship.

For shure it is spam a lot but when you see the avarage results it is more a all or nothing ship and you need in random battles teamplay otherwise you can forget it in this ship and you not have much impact on the results of a battle. 

shure we can say look on Youtube to the damage they doing but thats playes their best games they are posting but regular when you play games it,s rare Smolensk will is on top of the results in battles.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RODS]
Players
1,496 posts
7,547 battles

I am a very average player 

I played Smolensk 29 times 85k Average damage, winrate is good  at  65%

I have 129 games in the Zao 73k average damage winrate is average at 53%

I have 174 games in Musashi 90 k average damage with a winrate of 50%

From what I have seen of the Smolensk in randoms and from my own games in it, its an easy ship to derp with and you can be sure of being focused but on the other hand it is lots of fun to play 

[KITEN]
Players
345 posts
14,711 battles

Broken ship, but its Russian so what more is there to be said. Cant wait for yet more 12km radars in the game, playing DD is going to be even more fun when you are not only spotted from the air all of the time but you have a whole bunch of new railgun Russian cruisers with thier 12km radars. Yes, im sure us DD players should just stick within 3km of our team mates, not spot anything and not cap anything.

Just what the game needs. Then we have incoming subs... im sure they wont be broken af too.

• Cool 2

Players
17 posts
11,105 battles
16 hours ago, JohnMac79 said:

Broken ship, but its Russian so what more is there to be said. Cant wait for yet more 12km radars in the game, playing DD is going to be even more fun when you are not only spotted from the air all of the time but you have a whole bunch of new railgun Russian cruisers with thier 12km radars. Yes, im sure us DD players should just stick within 3km of our team mates, not spot anything and not cap anything.

Just what the game needs. Then we have incoming subs... im sure they wont be broken af too.

Thats why i stopped playing, this is getting pretty ridiculous.

They are just going the same way as with WoT, they break the game where-ever they can

• Cool 3

[FISHR]
Players
130 posts
8,096 battles
On 1/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, pjotter_destroyer said:

Well, the ship can be obtained just with coal. Sooner or later you'll have enough coal to afford it, no skill required..

That is why you don't see it topping the leaderboards: too many crap players have put their hands on it in order to deal HUGE amounts of damage at the expense of the fun of the rest of us.

• Cool 1

[FISHR]
Players
130 posts
8,096 battles
On 1/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Beaker71 said:

The Smolensk, like a lot of OP ships  (including any CV), can have a massive (i.e. too much) influence on the game  - when played by a good player.

Yeah, except that CVs were and are a real thing, while the Smolensk never existed.

[FISHR]
Players
130 posts
8,096 battles
On 1/30/2020 at 3:49 PM, Nibenay78 said:

One of my favorite ship is minotaur, but for all its strong sides, its very easy to get removed from the gaming area if you make a mistake. Its also reasonably easy to mitigate the AP spam by showing your rear end to it. Smolensk players are not punished to the same extent for making mistakes. Due to overpen crap, they can occationally come out almost undamaged from massive salvos while other cruisers will be shredded.

And that is another issue with this ridiculous ship: it's almost impossible to penetrate, let alone citadel.

Before the know-it-all chorus of little unicums raise their hands saying "I have citadeled it", I have citadeled it too, but it's even rarer than balanced MM.

Most of the time you overpen or (ridiculously enough) bounce on its paper thin armour.

And let's not talk about the fact that a mysterious bug (i.e. feature specifically introduced by WG, then called bug) makes smolensk tracers visible only after they have travelled sufficiently far away from the ship as to make it almost impossible to hit when it sits in smoke (99% of the time).

What is the spotting range, again? And the fire-in-smoke penalty? And the speed? And its size?

So, unless you are Russian, if you want a lot of guns you can chose if you want a slow ship with an exposed citadel, no smoke and short range torpedoes (Atlanta), or a ship that can dish out huge amounts of AP damage, but without HE and the choice of radar OR smoke (Minotaur), or a fast ship with an exposed citadel, long reload, a weird smoke that does not protect you from being spotted while shooting (Venezia).

But if you are Russian you can have the cake and also eat it

• Cool 1

[FISHR]
Players
130 posts
8,096 battles
On 1/31/2020 at 8:58 AM, Captain_Newman said:
Instead, it's overpen city if you're shooting at it with bb ap, while also getting smoke, hydro, and very decent torps (?!). WG, protip: if you wanted to prove there's no russian bias in this game, this isn't how you do it. 

And what makes you think they care?

Spreadsheet says there is no Russian bias, so there is none.

Haven't we learnt anything from the PR fiasco?

WG have utter contempt, disrespect and arrogance to show us in the playerbase

• Cool 1