You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

Naval Station....

30 comments in this topic

Players
3,435 posts

Ok I just have to ask,what is the correct way to play this mode, I think there has maybe been once where we won, do you stay in the bay or go out to meet the attackers?

I admit I only ever play CV or BB in this mode.

[1FA]
Players
347 posts
17,478 battles

Newport is the hardest operation to win, according to my experience, especialy with the random team, because it requires much more coordination than the other operations.

• Cool 5

[JRM]
Players
7,045 posts
3 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Ok I just have to ask,what is the correct way to play this mode, I think there has maybe been once where we won, do you stay in the bay or go out to meet the attackers?

You only have 2 options here m8 outside of going in with a full division in which case you can go for Narai as well...

1. You play CV and hope your team is competent enough to pull through (happens like once in 10 matches or so)

2. Skip that week

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,244 posts
17,711 battles

CVs tend to be OK with the initial waves of attackers but lack DPM with the final wave. 

Newport has got harder recently as the Liberty/maintainer ships have been affected by the AI movement bug and they don't end up in their old end game positions, which can make survival more difficult.

Personally I would bring something like an Aigle or Leander/Perth/Huang He as they work well, with their DPM and smoke for concealment, or perhaps a faster French battleship for getting around the map? US BBs often get caught in position and HE spammed to death. 

• Cool 2

Players
362 posts
4,047 battles
Il y a 3 heures, invicta2012 a dit :

Personally I would bring something like an Aigle or Leander/Perth/Huang He as they work well, with their DPM and smoke for concealment, or perhaps a faster French battleship for getting around the map? US BBs often get caught in position and HE spammed to death.  

I tried a fair bit. Normandie has speed and good HE, but not enough speed to catch up your team's positionning errors. You can get yourself in front of second wave, but third wave you're too slow if it is on the other side - and since you have baguette dispersers in place of guns you cannot count on long range sniping. Plus she's squishy and good luck against Izumo belt armor with 340mm.

Still not bad, but don't expect to carry.

Like other ships, in fact. You are very team dependant for this op.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,094 posts
9,488 battles
8 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

do you stay in the bay

Camping in the bay usually guarantees a star loss. Especially if BBs are doing it. Its a complete RNG fest if a BB keeps shooting bows of those small Cruisers - eventually one will get through and reach the harbour.

Even in a BB, i like to roam around, but you gotta know when to turn around before you are in too deep. That way, you can easily citadel the Cruisers.

• Cool 6

Players
1,879 posts
19,386 battles

Personally I prefer doing it in a cruiser for the rate of fire as a lot of teams forget to shoot the DDs, but it's also quite possible to win in a battleship but way harder to 5 star usually only 3 or 4 is achievable.

If playing as a BB the best way for me was to be fairly aggressive but very alert for torps, also never relyon teammates to correctly assess the priority targets So focus those DDs like crazy.

Cannot advise for CV play as I only use Ark Royal and even then I'm a poor CV player.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
11 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Skip that week

7 hours ago, TheBrut3 said:

Best way is wait until Narai pops up and grind Narai.

Thus my personal cunning plan is summarised nicely...

• Cool 1

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

I play Ops a lot, as a manner to re-fill my credits,  so I can throw my 2 cents here: SKIP.

If you are not in a division with at least 2 more mates, and play alone, like me, all become a lottery where your chances are 1 in 4 for a win.

So, the house will win 3 of 4 games, because peoples go yolo ahead and get surprised by next wave, in cross fire ( usually the next wave come before your team manage to kill all the precedent wave...) ,  or are guys who suicide in first 2 minutes, or the bots with repair get drunk ( the Coronavirus do damages in China, the auto-pilot bug on other hand, infected all bots in Wows...) so,  even if you perform exceptional well, come the last wave where the bots rush at you and you simply cannot survive alone.

The so called "help" ( the 2 dds who spam to help, at the end, if the team got mauled, are absolutely useless,  they do not use torps ( unlike attacking bots, who seems to co-ordinate on launching walls of torps, 3-4-5 of them at once ! - and you may see instances when you face over a dozen or more of torps each direction) - so, those 2 dds who come to help are absolutely useless, only spamming HE at that Izumo for zero dam.

I give up with Narai, and I will wait for Killer Whale, there you can make some decent credits and train your commanders.

Is not worth the time and the stress, if you play alone.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,244 posts
17,711 battles
1 hour ago, Cyclops_ said:

defo NO DD’s.

Nonsense. Having challenged myself to play this mission and win in as many DDs as possible, I know its possible to do well in Aigle, Guepard, Farragut, Icarus, Gallant... But failing to torp the Izumo is unforgiveable. And in Newport you don't get interrupted by onrushing Scharnhorsts, keen - so keen - to get their torps out. 

• Cool 1

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
14 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Nonsense. Having challenged myself to play this mission and win in as many DDs as possible, I know its possible to do well in Aigle, Guepard, Farragut, Icarus, Gallant... But failing to torp the Izumo is unforgiveable. And in Newport you don't get interrupted by onrushing Scharnhorsts, keen - so keen - to get their torps out. 

Indeed, I fully agree, ships like Aigle who can cit cruisers left and right and torp bbs usually get a lot more dam than a bb . DDS are a great tool to perform well there, and bbs sit right on the opposed side.

DDS and cruisers with high DPM are best suited.

Players
2,106 posts
9,538 battles
14 hours ago, Yamashiro42 said:

Newport is the hardest operation to win, according to my experience, especialy with the random team, because it requires much more coordination than the other operations.

Yes, significantly more difficult than any other.

I believe the Aegis is the easiest one but the rest aren't much more difficult. Except "Naval Station..." which is by far the most difficult one.

Players
823 posts
5,488 battles
1 hour ago, Palubarac said:

Yes, significantly more difficult than any other.

I believe the Aegis is the easiest one but the rest aren't much more difficult. Except "Naval Station..." which is by far the most difficult one.

Well - but that could be me - alone in random teams Aegis is not too nice either, if you want to get a 5 star, due to the dispersion of the BB's to be killed combined with team composition. And on occasion Schors dying is a problem as well (based on timing).

Anyway, what would be best ships - per class - to play Newport? Personally I have tried with Pensacola, I like its hitting power, but it is not what I would call tanky. Bad experience with Graf Spee and P.E. Friedrich. 

Players
2,106 posts
9,538 battles
1 hour ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

Well - but that could be me - alone in random teams Aegis is not too nice either, if you want to get a 5 star, due to the dispersion of the BB's to be killed combined with team composition. And on occasion Schors dying is a problem as well (based on timing).

Anyway, what would be best ships - per class - to play Newport? Personally I have tried with Pensacola, I like its hitting power, but it is not what I would call tanky. Bad experience with Graf Spee and P.E. Friedrich. 

Well, in Aegis I played around 20-30 battles last week and I lost only one (no stars at all).

Most battle ended with 5/5, some 4/5 and just a few 3/5 (with one 0/5 as mentioned).

Newport.. I haven't played that many battles overall and just a few today. Score from today: 0/0 stars from all battles played and overall - best result: 3/5 stars :)

So I guess I'm the last player to give any advice on Newport but it definitely seems more difficult than any other op I've played.

As I mentioned.. in Aegis even when I have total morons in the team I find it quite easy to get at least 3/5 stars. In Newport it seems that even with half-decent players we're not even close to completing the mission at all and always fail miserably.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
352 posts
5,167 battles

Newport is really bad with randoms or multiple people that dont know what do. I played it a few times to test out a T6 when it was available and to get the full reward, but overall Narai is the much better option for grinding. If you are interested in having a few successful runs or just get the 5 stars, check out the ingame channel for operations. They mostly play Narai because of previously mentioned reasons, but sometimes you also find a competent team, willing to help.

For Newport itself, stay inside the bay area as a BB and make your salvos on enemy cruisers count. A competent CV will provide constant spots on approaching enemies, until the Izumo shows up. Cruisers main job is HE spam Izumo in range, counter DDs and like the CV on regular targets, slowing them down with torps. (Bots try to dodge hard and will change their course). The most difficult part in the OP is to not let bots enter the coastal area and the most time groups fail because cruisers dont manage their HP and either die or need to retreat out of effective range for repairs.

For CV, provide spots on the spawn locations and pick off low HP targets that are close to enter. Turn faster ships off their course with torps, forcing them to broadside and delay their approach. As soon as Izumo appears, start setting fires and floods, until she gets into range of your cruisers.

Beta Tester
288 posts

Ah yes, Operation Newport. The OP I really detest. Here it's blatantly obvious that the AI has huge advantages over the players, both in numbers, and in their seemingly laser like accuracy, and what seems like modern day radar/hydro.

This one is VERY team dependent. If you get a team that knows what it's doing, it's doable, but those cases are the exception. Most players have zero clue as what to do here, since none of the other OP's are so dependent on team play.

I really wish that WG would balance this OP so it's doable in PUG's most of the time, or that they allow higher tier ships the players can use to balance it out a bit.

Would love to have my Yamato or Massa in this op...

• Cool 1

Players
3,435 posts
5 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

I play Ops a lot, as a manner to re-fill my credits,  so I can throw my 2 cents here: SKIP.

If you are not in a division with at least 2 more mates, and play alone, like me, all become a lottery where your chances are 1 in 4 for a win.

So, the house will win 3 of 4 games, because peoples go yolo ahead and get surprised by next wave, in cross fire ( usually the next wave come before your team manage to kill all the precedent wave...) ,  or are guys who suicide in first 2 minutes, or the bots with repair get drunk ( the Coronavirus do damages in China, the auto-pilot bug on other hand, infected all bots in Wows...) so,  even if you perform exceptional well, come the last wave where the bots rush at you and you simply cannot survive alone.

The so called "help" ( the 2 dds who spam to help, at the end, if the team got mauled, are absolutely useless,  they do not use torps ( unlike attacking bots, who seems to co-ordinate on launching walls of torps, 3-4-5 of them at once ! - and you may see instances when you face over a dozen or more of torps each direction) - so, those 2 dds who come to help are absolutely useless, only spamming HE at that Izumo for zero dam.

I give up with Narai, and I will wait for Killer Whale, there you can make some decent credits and train your commanders.

Is not worth the time and the stress, if you play alone.

This does sort of sum me up quite well, albeit after I posted this thread I did div up with a clan mate and we did do pretty well once or twice

Players
3,435 posts
22 minutes ago, Otowi said:

Ah yes, Operation Newport. The OP I really detest. Here it's blatantly obvious that the AI has huge advantages over the players, both in numbers, and in their seemingly laser like accuracy, and what seems like modern day radar/hydro.

This one is VERY team dependent. If you get a team that knows what it's doing, it's doable, but those cases are the exception. Most players have zero clue as what to do here, since none of the other OP's are so dependent on team play.

I really wish that WG would balance this OP so it's doable in PUG's most of the time, or that they allow higher tier ships the players can use to balance it out a bit.

Would love to have my Yamato or Massa in this op...

I find the Dunkerque and Bayern, even the PEF are not bad choices, I would not take the Warspite though reload and gun traverse way too slow.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

Dallas, Budyonni, Nurnberg are good for this op.

Bayern can be very good also.

As a cruiser I don't get out of the green perimeter and shoot AP, HE against the bots. DDs always first. I tend to prefer the left side

As a BB I make small sorties outside the green perimeter, I tend to prefer the right side, definitely if the cv is coming from the right, I go out to meet the Aoba and York, coming back in with the Bayern bot and then fight Izumo or Kaiser.

There are two little islands at the back, great for healing and to find cover from the main assault, if the team splits between those two islands they can cover each other flanks, from the left island while one player is shooting the dd and Nurnberg the other can target the Myoko and Kaiser.

Sometimes one player can focus all of them if his back is being covered and if that player is receiving help from the team

Players
6,058 posts
12,082 battles

I don't play this ops due to the reasons mentioned here already.

Iirc last times I played this, I was playing CV. Usually I'd use my torps to make some of the ships beach so the bow-tanking teammates can citadel them.

Usually it will be 3 stars at the most, if this is a win at all. And since apparently the bots are still going all over the place, I really don't find this operation very inviting as of this time.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,244 posts
17,711 battles
17 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

As a cruiser I don't get out of the green perimeter and shoot AP, HE

That's a losing strategy, tbh. It's Ok for BBs but cruisers need to be a bit more mobile. 

[BDE]
[BDE]
Beta Tester
478 posts
32,332 battles

I no play for no losser the time for enemys is very low.

Please separate waves of enemys  2 min minime.

Players
3,092 posts
17,537 battles
22 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Always stay inside the perimiter unless BBs which sometimes can move a little outside for proper crossfire.

RTS CVs used to be able to almost solocarry, their only problem was preventing the final wave from spawning early which took a few non-potato teammates.

These days I'd recommed waiting for Narai. 

Short of that, play Leander.

• Cool 1