Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Puffin_

Shökaku ap bombs help

13 comments in this topic

[HAMAR]
Players
346 posts

I am having much trouble hitting cruisers with Shökaku ap bombs. 

Any tips would be appreciated.

It doesn't help they wont stay still when I am bombing them :Smile_sad:

Players
2,801 posts
5 hours ago, Puffin_ said:

I am having much trouble hitting cruisers with Shökaku ap bombs. 

Any tips would be appreciated.

It doesn't help the wont stay still when I am bombing them :Smile_sad:

Burn em a bit first wit rockets, then try for one good drop. They dodge but they also explode occasionally, a beautiful thing :)

Players
264 posts
4,956 battles

Wait as long as you can before releasing the bombs, when your planes are almost level again and almost flying away.

One bomb falls far forward, one far backward. In typical WG fashion, if you've lost a plane, you lose the middle (crosshair) bomb. So you could try to aim with the tip of the reticle (either one).

Good luck.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles

It's all about approach of the planes. Nimble cruisers will evade most of your drops, and there is not much you can do about it.
Practice makes perfect though, so try to change the angle of your attacks and see what works best.
As for the altitude from which you release the bombs - it does not matter much with Shokaku, the AP bombs tend to arm in the citadel of most ships. Provided you can hit it, that is.

I suggest you watch Erazer's videos, just bear in mind the Shokaku AP bombers lose much more precision while manouvering.
It is a great source to learn the basics of AP bombing, in my opinion.

EDIT: Also Shokaku is already extremely strong aginst cruisers with it's torps and rockets - both of those are better suited for dealing with CAs and CLs.

• Cool 1

Players
376 posts
1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Wait as long as you can before releasing the bombs, when your planes are almost level again and almost flying away.

One bomb falls far forward, one far backward. In typical WG fashion, if you've lost a plane, you lose the middle (crosshair) bomb. So you could try to aim with the tip of the reticle (either one).

Good luck.

Interesting 

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,720 posts
10,106 battles

Every nation is different.

Only practice makes it perfect..

I can only say,

go into a training room..

60 mins..

stationary bots..

put cruisers infront of you..

and try attacking them from different angles, different altitudes..

do that for at least an hour..

than do that for moving bots (non hostile though)

practice practice practice..

Oh and you can always watch @El2aZeR's youtube channel,
he just posts great CV replays.. without any commentary!

Players
9,807 posts
11,484 battles
1 hour ago, kapnobathrac said:

Interesting 

Doing "late drops" is good way to NOT get citadels, as bomb is more likely to detonate before reaching citadel.

Late drops are kinda needed when dealing with extra paper ships, like Nurnberg (speaking of +-20mm citadel roof), as bombs tend to overpen those.

1 hour ago, Blixies said:

As for the altitude from which you release the bombs - it does not matter much with Shokaku, the AP bombs tend to arm in the citadel of most ships. Provided you can hit it, that is.

Not really. Bombs arm on +-25mm plating, thus in most cases its "race against the time" whether bomb can reach citadel before going bang. Also the reasons AP bombs struggle on battleships with high deck and low citadel like hightier French, while low deck Germans are go-to target. Russian T shaped citadel is troll tho, as near edge hits may overpen citadel and detonate within torpedo belt for 0dmg. Because amount of bias must be correct camrade.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
5 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Not really. Bombs arm on +-25mm plating, thus in most cases its "race against the time" whether bomb can reach citadel before going bang.

So what? That does not change my point at all. Shokaku AP bombs are the most reliable AP bombs in the game, in my experience.
IF a ship can be citadelled by AP bombs, Shokaku is the man for the job. Provided you can hit them.

Players
9,807 posts
11,484 battles
Just now, Blixies said:

So what? That does not change my point at all. Shokaku AP bombs are the most reliable AP bombs in the game, in my experience.
IF a ship can be citadelled by AP bombs, Shokaku is the man for the job. Provided you can hit them.

Yamato class 57mm+200mm deck and citadel roof can stop Shokaku and Enterprise bombs

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
4 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Yamato class 57mm+200mm deck and citadel roof can stop Shokaku and Enterprise bombs

Yes. I didn't say that Shokaku can citadel ANY ship, did I?
My point was that it's AP bombs are the best AP bombs overall in the game, considering the tier, ships it can face, their accuracy etc.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,720 posts
10,106 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

Yes. I didn't say that Shokaku can citadel ANY ship, did I?
My point was that it's AP bombs are the best AP bombs overall in the game, considering the tier, ships it can face, their accuracy etc.

my personal preference is Haku.. More reliable.. at least for me

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this