Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HappyCabbage

Current state of the game IMO

24 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
7,077 battles

I wanted to talk about the current state of the game (and game play) with shooting at ships. I think it has comparisons for me with one of my old hobbies, golf that is.

I used to play quite a bit and like WoW was not very talented. I would hack the ball around for several miles, losing a few long the way. Every now and again I would do a shot that would make me look like a golfing great. Perhaps I thought if I got shiny new clubs and some natty plus fours my game would improve. Alas it did not, but the pro shop staff always had a big smile on their faces when I walked in. Eventually after much time and effort I came to the conclusion that I wasn't having much fun and that my skill would not get me picked for the Ryder Cup.

With WoW I think its going the same way, if it hasn't already. We are all aware its free but then the powers behind the game try and extract money in every way they can. That is their prerogative and fair enough. If you have the cash then of course you can spend it how you like. Last year I think they got a fair bit of my quids. The real problem with WoW is that they have, what I think is called  a cartel. If there was another developer then things may change. If we could, as players, sell our ships , or swop, with other players, after all we own them, at least the ones we bought. With a console game, I often buy it, play it like crazy for a few weeks, and sell it on a well known auction site for pretty much what I payed for it. 

I have decided that I like the game enough but I want to play it on my rules. What are they ? Have as much fun while being as frugal as possible. The current state of play seems to be up and down. Tier 10 is frustrating and not much fun , so I tend to go Tiers 7 & 8. The 1 on 1 ranked was fab in my opinion. So the game is like a Yo Yo. I think, for me anyway, is that its just pixel entertainment and just enjoy the bits you like and with the bits that wind you up, then don't get sucked in, this especially applies to nutters ranting in chat.  If I want to play my Mino like a DD then why not. I try and respect my team of course, and occasionally you have great fun when the team plays as a team. This rarely happens as you know. When its like that, if everyone is doing their own thing I may as well join in and do the same.  So unlike golf, I am not going to take it too seriously. Play and have fun, take a break with other games and enjoy the free bits of WoW. Perhaps there should be another game mode. What to call it ? I am thinking  - "Who Cares", now I would pay for that.

Edited by PaulPKennedy
Misleading old title
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 3

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Misleading clickbait titles are a no-go.

Be honest about your threads content or don't post them

• Cool 1

Players
6,343 posts
10,566 battles

Eh, most of what you wrote is fair enough but with one thing, I really have a problem:

1 hour ago, PaulPKennedy said:

If I want to play my Mino like a DD then why not.

Nah, its a team game. There are 11 other real people on your team, that have as much a right to enjoy their time as you. So you want to play a DD = you pick a DD. In teambased multiplayer games, you always try your best. And you play the class according to what it should be played and not delibertly wrong. Do you go into a dungeon party in a MMORPG and then start to play your healer as a tank, cuz you feel like it? Youll be kicked & blacklisted from 99% of the parties this way. Ofc, in wows, we dont have the option to pick the people in your random team. But how would you feel, if the entire community all of a sudden thinks, that teamkilling in the way to go? And 25 sec in each & every the game, you blew up because 11 ppl on your team shot at you, lol´ing how you sink, then proceed to sink each other. Because, after all, you said it yourself: why not? You would prolly moan.

Eventhough you are moving in the internet you are still part of a society, a community. You behave according to some rules, written or unwritten. Do you go and s*** infront of your neighbors door, because why not? Prolly not because at some point he will physically hurt you or punish you in any other way. And thats why you respect the people you play with, it doesnt matter if they can physically reach you or not. Everyone, that cant do that, is just a poor human beeing (im obviously now talking about people missbehaving way worse then you decirbed in your example to bring the point across).

Perhaps there should be another game mode. What to call it ? I am thinking  - "Who Cares", now I would pay for that.

Its pretty much coop. There you can DD in your Mino aswell.

When its like that, if everyone is doing their own thing I may as well join in and do the same. 

Again, a poor attitude. How do you think, you can judge this? If you see one guy screwing around, how does this give you the right to do the same? And screwing a handful other guys on your team, that are trying so hard to carry you? Ill go with the s*** example again - when you see a guy deficating at the town sqare - do you pull your pants down and compete with him, who sens a bigger one flying on the street? How would that evolve 2 hours down the road?

Bottomline: you feel like screwing around, you play a single player game. There are many great ones out there. Or you go in the training room, you can go alone with a bunch of bots and do all the s*** you feel like. Afterall - if YOU dont care why do WE need to be blessed with your presence? What exactly do you bring to the multiplayer aspect if you dont care about teamplay? You lead by example.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,558 posts
23,777 battles
13 hours ago, PaulPKennedy said:

[...] but I want to play it on my rules. What are they ? [...]

c, idc at all what ur rules may be... there's rules in place, and as this is a TEAMgame and not gulf(!!!:Smile_facepalm:) i expect other players to be aware of em or gtfo! in short: play the objective if u decide to play the game, that simple! as that IS THE GAME! anything else is an intentional slap in the face of every other player in a match who might does so...

indeed the stated attitude is kind of the main reason and a perfect example for overall quality of the playerbase!.... really, "on my rules" :Smile_facepalm:............. no one out of the 23 other people in a match care about "ur rules"! nor they do care about ur analysis of what's behind in the very moment they decide to join a match.

"current state of the game"?!.... indeed *sigh* :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 3

Players
1,487 posts
14,041 battles
15 hours ago, PaulPKennedy said:

I try and respect my team of course, and occasionally you have great fun when the team plays as a team. This rarely happens as you know.

It rarely happens because the MM is literally filled to the brim with people that have a similar mindset to the one you just described - the "why not, I just play for fun" crowd that ignore the fact it isn't a single player game, and 11 other people now have a reduced chance of winning because you felt like derping around.

You either play to the best of your ability with the mindset to try and win, or you go single player. Trust me, it's not fun to put in a lot of effort into a match just to have it thrown by the JuSt FoR fUn crowd.

You say you try to respect your teams. Demonstrate it by making an effort to play well. Naturally, it can't work every battle, everyone has bad ones, and if someone just has a bad day, fair enough. What's not cool is when it's obvious the person in question is putting zero effort in, has no idea how their ship should be played and what their role is, and probably hasn't looked at the minimap once.

• Cool 4

[LEEUW]
Players
439 posts
7,032 battles

So you want de teams to play as a team, but you want to play a Mino as a DD with 9km detectability? Doens't sound like teamplay to me.

And then the compare with golf... I mean golf...? That's an individual hobby, not a teamplay sport. If you want to do crazy stuff, there is a mode called Co-op. And if you wanna do whatever you want individually, like golf, there is the training room. 

• Cool 2

Players
542 posts
3,072 battles

It's funny but when I think about it this is the only game I play where my enjoyment in large part is affected so much by a bunch of randoms i've never met and never will meet. 

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,393 battles

Like with all things in life, you are free to strive for personal happiness, as long as it doesn't prevent your fellow humans from doing the same.

Driving your Mino like a DD is like farting in a crowded elevator. You can do it, but you really shouldn't. ;)

• Funny 6

Players
17 posts
7,077 battles

Thanks for the response. I wanted to clarify a few things and apologise also. I DO support my team and I know its a team game. I try my best the vast majority of the time. I realise a lot of players are committed and trying hard, I would not knowingly or deliberately play selfishly to the detriment of others. I cannot say I have never done something stupid, but not deliberately anyway.

I do admit though that do my own thing on the rare occasion the game is going to s**t, I hope this doesn't happen too often, but I cannot say I have never done it. Of course ranked and random is not the place to do this.

My reference to golf was not meant to be serious and only applies to me. I like the game a lot so perhaps have not worded my original post as well as I could. I guess I was trying to say that I with all the many problems in the game, I am there to have some fun, while respecting others.   

• Cool 3

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,558 posts
23,777 battles

Thanks for the response. I wanted to clarify a few things and apologise also. I DO support my team and I know its a team game. I try my best the vast majority of the time. I realise a lot of players are committed and trying hard, I would not knowingly or deliberately play selfishly to the detriment of others. I cannot say I have never done something stupid, but not deliberately anyway.

I do admit though that do my own thing on the rare occasion the game is going to s**t, I hope this doesn't happen too often, but I cannot say I have never done it. Of course ranked and random is not the place to do this.

My reference to golf was not meant to be serious and only applies to me. I like the game a lot so perhaps have not worded my original post as well as I could. I guess I was trying to say that I with all the many problems in the game, I am there to have some fun, while respecting others.   

u know, that sounds way more honest and appropiate in any way. if u just would have made this ur opening post no one ever would've jumped on it. but then it wouldn't have fit the title lol

Players
445 posts

There is no "I" in team, except for WOW, where "I" is the only team most players think about, unless your in a clan DIV and then it's, your DIV mates and to hell with the team !!

Players
5,976 posts
11,338 battles
10 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

It rarely happens because the MM is literally filled to the brim with people that have a similar mindset to the one you just described - the "why not, I just play for fun" crowd that ignore the fact it isn't a single player game, and 11 other people now have a reduced chance of winning because you felt like derping around.

You either play to the best of your ability with the mindset to try and win, or you go single player. Trust me, it's not fun to put in a lot of effort into a match just to have it thrown by the JuSt FoR fUn crowd.

You say you try to respect your teams. Demonstrate it by making an effort to play well. Naturally, it can't work every battle, everyone has bad ones, and if someone just has a bad day, fair enough. What's not cool is when it's obvious the person in question is putting zero effort in, has no idea how their ship should be played and what their role is, and probably hasn't looked at the minimap once.

I don't think WG is going to change this. Randoms are supposed to be random, according to themselves.

My guess is that if you want competitive, you will have to plat clan battles (and maybe randoms).

I don't think it's realistic to want to set some kind of demand to the very casual players. This game basically takes all kinds of stuff together and mixes and shakes it up until some kind of magic happens...or something breaks or explodes :Smile_hiding:

Players
5,976 posts
11,338 battles
3 hours ago, Mr_Wolfclaw said:

There is no "I" in team, except for WOW, where "I" is the only team most players think about, unless your in a clan DIV and then it's, your DIV mates and to hell with the team !!

There is an "I" in DIV though! :Smile_great::Smile_bajan2:

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,978 battles
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:01 PM, PaulPKennedy said:

I thought if I got shiny new clubs

Taking under consideration that golf club easily cost 1000$ (that is what I was told, never cared about that) you are a very important whale player from WG perspective.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:01 PM, PaulPKennedy said:

The 1 on 1 ranked was fab in my opinion.

It probably depends on luck, in my case I was wondering why there is only one enemy bot in this co-op mode.

17 hours ago, genosse said:

Like with all things in life, you are free to strive for personal happiness, as long as it doesn't prevent your fellow humans from doing the same.

That is very poetic but not even close to truth.

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,393 battles
55 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

That is very poetic but not even close to truth.

It's still something everyone should try to live by, no?

And please elaborate on the "not even close to the truth" part, because I fail to see how a very general guideline on how to live your life can be true or false.

You can call it bullsh*t, of course, but I really struggle with the "truth" part of your post, sorry.

I have no problem when someone calls me stupid (because it's true!), but I do take offense when someone calls me a liar.

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,978 battles
2 hours ago, genosse said:

You can call it bullsh*t, of course, but I really struggle with the "truth" part of your post, sorry.

I have no problem when someone calls me stupid (because it's true!), but I do take offense when someone calls me a liar.

I have not done any of the two things you mention. I guess it comes to English, that is not my main language, and philosophy that is even more vague.

You started with "you are free..." some people are some are not in one way or another.

"as long as it doesn't prevent" that is another round sentence. Even law cannot prevent you from doing something that will make others unhappy.

On other hand playing like unicum can make you happy but that can make your "victims" unhappy. You are allowed to play like unicum.

So playing as unicum breaks this assumption of yours that you are not allowed to make other people live miserable.

As stated above that is more of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" than meritous discussion so we can stop here.

The only laws people do not break are laws of physics and that is something that really prevents you from doing things.

• Cool 2

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,393 battles
9 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

I have not done any of the two things you mention. I guess it comes to English, that is not my main language, and philosophy that is even more vague.

You started with "you are free..." some people are some are not in one way or another.

"as long as it doesn't prevent" that is another round sentence. Even law cannot prevent you from doing something that will make others unhappy.

On other hand playing like unicum can make you happy but that can make your "victims" unhappy. You are allowed to play like unicum.

So playing as unicum breaks this assumption of yours that you are not allowed to make other people live miserable.

As stated above that is more of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" than meritous discussion so we can stop here.

The only laws people do not break are laws of physics and that is something that really prevents you from doing things.

Okay, I understand now, thank you for the explanation. No offense taken - I guess am a little thin-skinned today.

Without going further off topic and into philosophical territory, lets just call it a misunderstanding and be done with it, then. :)

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,558 posts
23,777 battles
11 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

... and even 3 in "division" :Smile_great::Smile_veryhappy:..... @theso's: even though only 1 in "mine" :Smile_trollface::Smile_child::Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,424 posts
16,961 battles
Am 23.1.2020 um 00:58, NothingButTheRain sagte:

So a 3 people DIV is "Dumbass", "I", and "Veteran"? Or "Vegetarian"?

Players
5,976 posts
11,338 battles
6 hours ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

So a 3 people DIV is "Dumbass", "I", and "Veteran"? Or "Vegetarian"?

As long as it's not something like VelociEgoLetalis, I think I don't really care either way :Smile-_tongue:

Sign in to follow this