Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kapnobathrac

Anyone been playing audacious the past month?

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
376 posts

I sold it last year since I didn’t enjoy it as much as enterprise plus that I found the carpet bombers annoying . I’ve become a better player since last year and consider giving another shot and rebuy it. Is that recommended or should I invest everything in Hakuryu?

 

edit meant to say the past MonthS in the title

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
376 posts
21 minutes ago, viceadmiral123 said:

I like it the most out of the the t10 carriers. Then it's Haku for the AP melon busters.

How do the rockets fair these days against DDs? I remember them being quite slow (might be mistaken)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles

Audacious is solid and reliable. Rockets are very good against DD’s. Just lacks immediate impact that Haku has the potential to unleash.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,815 posts
11,484 battles
1 hour ago, kapnobathrac said:

I sold it last year since I didn’t enjoy it as much as enterprise plus that I found the carpet bombers annoying . I’ve become a better player since last year and consider giving another shot and rebuy it. Is that recommended or should I invest everything in Hakuryu?

 

edit meant to say the past MonthS in the title

I've spend 30 battles with Audacious, trying to make her work as I got her like week ago or something.

 

I want my 30 battles back.

 

Planes I find good. Ordnance is atrocious on other hand. Constant, T10 only games make rockets as DD only tool, unless you like ticking ships for 3k dmg on their saturated superstructure. Torps are good... but still other CV have them better, either in alpha or overall effectiveness. Carpet bombers are meme most of the time. Sad meme at that, unless you have "perfect" target in shape of UK/US/FR battleship just happening to be around. Firestarting? You mean everyone flexing their R reflex the moment any DoT happens and then RNGesus keeps saying "nyet" until they have DCP ready?:cap_tea:

 

Also stock planes are mostly better than top ones - top rockets throw off option to do any adjustment once reticle goes green, top bombers may throw more bombs per run, but most of that ordnance goes into water due to noticeably bigger dispersion.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[N0RSE]
Players
171 posts
14,228 battles

It's more about damage over time with Audacious, I'm not the biggest fan of the carpet bombing myself, but it's nice when you get 3 fires they can't repair. I like Hakuryu ap bombs better, since you can more effectively deal with Island hugging cruisers (Des Moines for example). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
796 posts

I like Audacious for her rocket planes mostly, they melt dds a light cruisers.

 

Also the planes look beautiful

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
9 minutes ago, Panocek said:

I've spend 30 battles with Audacious, trying to make her work as I got her like week ago or something.

 

I want my 30 battles back.

 

Planes I find good. Ordnance is atrocious on other hand. Constant, T10 only games make rockets as DD only tool, unless you like ticking ships for 3k dmg on their saturated superstructure. Torps are good... but still other CV have them better, either in alpha or overall effectiveness. Carpet bombers are meme most of the time. Sad meme at that, unless you have "perfect" target in shape of UK/US/FR battleship just happening to be around. Firestarting? You mean everyone flexing their R reflex the moment any DoT happens and then RNGesus keeps saying "nyet" until they have DCP ready?:cap_tea:

 

Also stock planes are mostly better than top ones - top rockets throw off option to do any adjustment once reticle goes green, top bombers may throw more bombs per run, but most of that ordnance goes into water due to noticeably bigger dispersion.

The DB’s are pretty good against cruisers also. Especially ones that think they can stay safe behind islands. Taking 10k of a DM, starting fires and then going back again is no joke. Might not be as punishing as AP DB’s but that ship will still going down in pain.

 

And that wide rocket spread? Great at resetting caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,815 posts
11,484 battles
Just now, Bear_Necessities said:

The DB’s are pretty good against cruisers also. Especially ones that think they can stay safe behind islands. Taking 10k of a DM, starting fires and then going back again is no joke. Might not be as punishing as AP DB’s but that ship will still going down in pain.

My usual experience of Auda bombers against cruisers consist of washing decks with bracketing bombs, while those three bombs that actually connect with the ship tend to land on turrets or even torpedo belts:cap_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
26 minutes ago, Panocek said:

My usual experience of Auda bombers against cruisers consist of washing decks with bracketing bombs, while those three bombs that actually connect with the ship tend to land on turrets or even torpedo belts:cap_book:

RNG is a fickle thing for us all. I can’t seem to land any AP bombs with Enterprise on my current stretch of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,324 posts
3 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

RNG is a fickle thing for us all. I can’t seem to land any AP bombs with Enterprise on my current stretch of games.

Do you know if there is any information out there available how AP bombs work with RNG? Or RNG is a total mystery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,815 posts
11,484 battles
1 minute ago, L8viathan said:

Do you know if there is any information out there available how AP bombs work with RNG? Or RNG is a total mystery?

Only RNG for AP bombs is dispersion.

 

Once you're past that, bombs can be very reliable - they arm (at least IJN ones) at +-25mm plating, so basically on deck. Then there is issue whether bombs can reach citadel before detonating, thus you usually want to drop them as close to vertical as possible. Bomb penetration is irrelevant as all except Shokaku and Enterprise have more than enough to deal with any deck+cit roof they can bump into. Shokaku barely can penetrate Yamato deck+cit roof, while latter is incapable of doing so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,324 posts
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Only RNG for AP bombs is dispersion.

 

Once you're past that, bombs can be very reliable - they arm (at least IJN ones) at +-25mm plating, so basically on deck. Then there is issue whether bombs can reach citadel before detonating, thus you usually want to drop them as close to vertical as possible. Bomb penetration is irrelevant as all except Shokaku and Enterprise have more than enough to deal with any deck+cit roof they can bump into. Shokaku barely can penetrate Yamato deck+cit roof, while latter is incapable of doing so

So, would it be correct to say, for example, if the AP bombs approach target ship perfectly vertical  the RNG will be minimal or zero and hence the bombs will citadel, ofc depending on the ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,823 posts
11,522 battles

I find Audacious the same powerful as Midway, around 10k strikes + a lot DOT fire dmg.

And thats the same reason a dont really play them but rather the Haku and Enterprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,815 posts
11,484 battles
5 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

So, would it be correct to say, for example, if the AP bombs approach target ship perfectly vertical  the RNG will be minimal or zero and hence the bombs will citadel, ofc depending on the ship?

Only ships that are flat out unreachable are French BBs from Richelieu onwards, due to their raised deck. You still *can* score cit, if you land bomb perfectly between turrets (Richy, Alsace) or just behind front turret on Repu.

 

And AFAIK you can't improve dispersion besides waiting for reticle to close in, at dropping bombs possibly vertical you only shorten distance between deck and citadel. Late drops, where bomb hits at an angle, you risk bomb going off before reaching cit.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,324 posts
5 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Only ships that are flat out unreachable are French BBs from Richelieu onwards, due to their raised deck. You still *can* score cit, if you land bomb perfectly between turrets (Richy, Alsace) or just behind front turret on Repu.

 

And AFAIK you can't improve dispersion besides waiting for reticle to close in, at dropping bombs possibly vertical you only shorten distance between deck and citadel. Late drops, where bomb hits at an angle, you risk bomb going off before reaching cit.

Thx for your time. Just wanted to know how much RNG can really affect AA bombs as there is only a very vague definition of RNG in wiki Wargaming page; "RNG    Random Number Generator, the output of which controls many occurrences in World of Warships."

 

How it controls, exact list of occurrences are something not publicized i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,815 posts
11,484 battles
3 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

Thx for your time. Just wanted to know how much RNG can really affect AA bombs as there is only a very vague definition of RNG in wiki Wargaming page; "RNG    Random Number Generator, the output of which controls many occurrences in World of Warships."

 

How it controls, exact list of occurrences are something not publicized i think.

Keep in mind I've spent my share of time in training room AP bombing bots like year ago, WG could fiddle something in meantime.

 

Early during REEEwork bombs were actually projected from the planes and their position, thus by doing late drops you could essentially carry out skip bombing and reliably bomb target broadsides, ignoring what crosshair would suggest. But WG fixed that, so don't be surprised when one of the bombs decides to go backwards :cap_book:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Players
2,590 posts
12,772 battles

I like it most for the captain voice, which is very relaxing. Also, don't forget, there will be a speshul british captain soon which will have a few little buffs for audacious (or any cv)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,756 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

I like it most for the captain voice, which is very relaxing. Also, don't forget, there will be a speshul british captain soon which will have a few little buffs for audacious (or any cv)

The legend himself serB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
264 posts
13,739 battles

Audacious is a rather good Cv tbh.

 

Attack planes. Rockets from this cv are not overly powerful but pretty damn tight interms of dispersion. They also tend to have a higher fire chance then HVAR MIdway, but less than the Hak. It gets 36 rocket attacks per 3 planes which is more than the Hak and Midway. This makes it the most ideal dd hunter in the game for cvs.

Torpedo Bombers. What can you really say about 3x sub 6k torps that can be a bit tighter in focus then any other cvs torps. They have good average damage and are able to hit a bit more consistently than other Nations.

Bombers. Ok, let's talk about the bombers as this is kinda a sore spot for this nation. The bombs lack penetration and all other nations have more than 50% greater pen with their bombs. HAK is ap so that is its own unique beast. For the most part, the hits a ship will take will either be Superstructure, bow or stern. Against bbs like kremlin, anything not in the SS, bow, or stern will just shatter. It is important to note though that even a shatter can cause a fire.  With a base of 35% which can be taken up to 42% the more hits the better so while you may not get a big hit you will at least be able to start some fires. It is also important to talk about how well these work on more agile ships. This is probably the biggest issue. Against anything, not a bb going headfirst tends to net you little in return because it is rather easy to turn to mitigate down to 0-3 hits. Attacking from the rear, however, tends to net you more hit and since your pen is 41 you will most likely get more hits plus fire. Attacking anything other then a BB/BC can be a bit of a challenge.

 

All in all the Audacious is a solid CV, however, it does tend to have another thing going for it that I didn't realize till I was grinding for the PR. If you have any kind of mission or directive that asks for a large number of rocket/bomb/torp hits. this is the cv you want to take as it tends to get more of these then the Midway and or the Hak due to the cluster bombs. During the PR event, I was able to push this well over 300 hits a game which made farming the required amount a bit easy.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,425 battles
4 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I echo what bear says, except Haku and Midway are crap, actually bought the Midway back, and it is still bad:Smile_veryhappy:

Bad? What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[R3B3L]
Players
868 posts
28,978 battles
5 hours ago, Panocek said:

Also stock planes are mostly better than top ones - top rockets throw off option to do any adjustment once reticle goes green, top bombers may throw more bombs per run, but most of that ordnance goes into water due to noticeably bigger dispersion.

I had no idea about that since i gave up on CVs over half year ago :cap_wander_2:

I would like to give my CVs another try, good thing i stumbled over this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
376 posts

so I rebought it and i cannot find any way to like it. I lost 8 games out of 10 which I cannot blame on audacious since the games were those kind where you lose 4-5 at the start of the match (actually had an enemy smolensk kill 2 of my dds at the same time with one set of torpedos).

 

about 70k average damage and about 90k spotting damage average which is a disaster. I feel much comfortable with enterprise in tier X than with audacious. I would really like to find a way to make it work but these one sided games are really a bummer and the planes themselves feel...i dont know how to describe but they are not fun.

 

so this is a review from someone who sold audacious last year and bought it back now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×