You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Kilinowski

You know your maps? - The map quiz

56 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
1,748 posts
20,279 battles

This is my playful attempt to get fun and "education" together. We all play these maps dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands of times. But how familiar are we with the details? How good is our orientation? I'd like to test and strengthen that ability by putting us all to the test ... in this quiz threat.

Rules are self-evident. You gotta guess, where the posted screenshot was taken.

The correct answer must contain three informations:

a) the official name of the map

b) the square the ship was in when the shot was taken

c) the orientation of the camera with a tolerance of +- 45°, i.e. the angle of the view towards the north, either in clockwise degrees or nautical terms, 45° being equivalent to NE, 90° being E and so on.

Whoever gets it right, i.e. posts the correct answer first, as confirmed by the OP of the screenshot, gets to choose one of his screenshots in order to keep this thing running.

The screenshots posted must meet the following criteria:
1. They must show a unique and recognizable spot on a map. The sample must depict the map in its current version, no outdated designs. Samples only showing ocean or unrecognizable patterns are not allowed. Obvously no Ocean map, no trolling.

2. Names of players in the screenshot must be anonymized.

3. Remove parts of the sceenshot showing your impact on the battle. It's a quiz, not an opportunity for bragging.

4. The minimap and compass must be removed from the screenshot as they provide the answer.

5. The full screenshot, now including the minimap, is provided by the quiz starter as the solution. The quiz starter posts the full screenshot to prove the correct answer and mentions/pings the "winner" in order to notify him.

6. If the spot wasn't guessed right after 3 days (72 hours), i.e. if nobody guessed it right or the quiz starter did not confirm the solution within that time frame, anybody may post a new screenshot and the quiz is restarted.

So let me get this on the way:

The first screenshot hopefully is easy enough.

whereami.thumb.jpg.e54e9e94eec0b02d6a6bef3612ad9c73.jpg

So, skippers, where was this screenshot taken?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
2,147 posts
16,474 battles

Looks like trap, just north of the mid cap. At first I thought south, but then I took a better look, that's definitely north side. The island where the gap to the center cap is, towards C? At a guess, grids.. D6-7? Just a rough estimate on that, don't really know each island by grid square location.

[THESO]
Players
1,748 posts
20,279 battles

Remember, skippers:

26 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

correct naming of map, square and orientation +- 45°

Only full answers containing all three informations are valid, e.g. "Ocean map, square A1, orientation NE." orientation may be expressed in terms of degrees. e.g. 45° meaning NE.

[THESO]
Players
1,748 posts
20,279 battles
22 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

If @Captain_Newman s answer doesnt count, i drew it onto your minimap

What does orientation mean? the direction, the ship is heading?

Good point. Orientation means the relative direction of the point of view towards the north - where the "camera" is pointing.

I'll edit that in the rules.

All in all the answers are promising but still incomplete. Hate to be a stickler.

[LEEUW]
Players
3,363 posts
11,237 battles

Played this game for four years and ten thousand matches. Don't know any map name besides ocean. Am I stupid? :cap_book:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 6

[BOATY]
Players
96 posts
7,655 battles

So is your answer “It’s trap looking east (travelling NE) in F4”

not sure the point of orientation it’s in the bottom left corner 

[THESO]
Players
1,748 posts
20,279 battles
3 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Played this game for four years and ten thousand matches. Don't know any map name besides ocean. Am I stupid? :cap_book:

You can't expect anyone to answer that question and at the same time comply with forum rules.

5 minutes ago, Duecut said:

So is your answer “It’s trap looking east (travelling NE) in F4”

not sure the point of orientation it’s in the bottom left corner 

Slightly off.

I am a real genius, forgetting to remove the compass. So guess that makes two then, Garrus and me. Another edit incoming.

• Funny 2

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
11 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

For some reason, map names in WOWs are not intuitive and are only shown briefly (and then im busy watching team setups). I have a hard time remembering them aswell.

[THESO]
Players
1,748 posts
20,279 battles
2 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Its trap, just outside B cap on western side (E5ish) and looking NE or east north east (according to compass:Smile_trollface:)

E5 would put you inside B-cap. Since we see the buoys, still slightly off.

Players
2,988 posts
35,096 battles
37 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Same here :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Players
3,276 posts
19,752 battles
18 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

E5 would put you inside B-cap. Since we see the buoys, still slightly off.

well I liked the challenge of guessing the square without looking the map up on google to get the grid right :Smile_playing:

Since we dont see the small island on the border of the cap the ship could be far enough north to just be inside E4, but my guess would be F3

24 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

For some reason, map names in WOWs are not intuitive and are only shown briefly (and then im busy watching team setups). I have a hard time remembering them aswell.

Same here. And it gets more confusing still if you look at replay files since the maps have different names on replays.

Only reason I remember trap is it used to "trap" all 20-22 snowflakes behind the large islands down in the south western corner :cap_book:

Players
2,147 posts
16,474 battles
43 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I get you, I "know" all maps but some I just can't remember the names of. I find it easier to remember ones that trigger me, such as Okinawa or North / Northern lights due to having very specific areas where teams usually :etc_swear: up.

[THESO]
Players
1,748 posts
20,279 battles
5 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

looking towards F5 NE.

So your answer is
Trap E4 looking towards F5 NE.

That is correct, although I feel obliged to point out, looking towards F5 would be SE. But since you said NE and that is the correct format to answer I'll let it pass.

whereami_solution.thumb.jpg.86a942422218b117707bbc353ff17381.jpg

@L8viathan: Tag, you're it!

• Cool 1

Players
2,988 posts
35,096 battles
1 minute ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

So your answer is
Trap E4 looking towards F5 NE.

That is correct, although I feel obliged to point out, looking towards F5 would be SE. But since you said NE and that is the correct format to answer I'll let it pass.

whereami_solution.thumb.jpg.86a942422218b117707bbc353ff17381.jpg

@L8viathan: Tag, you're it!

Well, ty ty. Now do i post a screenshot of a map?

[THESO]
Players
1,748 posts
20,279 battles
Just now, L8viathan said:

Well, ty ty. Now do i post a screenshot of a map?

The hardest part of the quiz seems to be to get the rules.

Yes.

You guessed the right answer so you post a screenshot. Do it better than me and don't forget to remove the compass.

[THESO]
Players
3,604 posts
28,588 battles

came in for pics with lil text at the max. found rules. bye :Smile_child::Smile_hiding::Smile_trollface:

Players
2,988 posts
35,096 battles
5 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

The hardest part of the quiz seems to be to get the rules.

Yes.

You guessed the right answer so you post a screenshot. Do it better than me and don't forget to remove the compass.

Okay, screenshot full of black paint but at least an easy one.

wdsa.JPG

[THESO]
Players
3,604 posts
28,588 battles
2 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

Okay, screenshot full of black paint but at least an easy one.

wdsa.JPG

hotspot it is... just too much further information 4 my bpu... may laters :Smile_bajan2: