Is this game for me?

11 comments in this topic

Question

[CCN]
[CCN]
Players
13 posts
3,578 battles

Hi all, i'm a new player with just under 300 battles in radnom, i feel like i'm doing something wrong. At least so says my wr and pr. Or I have a little bit of an expectation as a beginner….

p.s. i realy suck in nelson, because of game crashing when i was playing with him.

10 answers to this question

[SM0KE]
Players
5,441 posts
13,436 battles
4 hours ago, Bleoporg said:

i'm a new player with just under 300 battles in radnom

That's not enough to have much of a chance at T7, alas; WOWS is unlike a lot of games in that you can't simply go at it with fast reactions and expect to get away with it, regardless of tier.

At higher tiers, you have a more powerful ship for sure, but then so do the enemy, and said enemy probably have better captains than you do at the moment, not to mention a lot more experience.

If you've already paid money for ships, then clearly you like the basic smell of the game; to get the most out of it though, I suggest it would be sensible to step back a few paces. Some pointers:

• Have a butchers at the wiki (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships) if you haven't found it yet - it's got a lot of invaluable information of varying degrees of accuracy (usually pretty high).
  • iChase's Captains Academy (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoRQa0D7yVpc05KETkgPsyZHIRZd980cO) series is well worth a look. Be mindful that CVs/AA changed out of all recognition about a year ago, so older films on that subject may be redundant.
  • Play as many ship types/nations as you can; there are a couple of reasons for this - for a start, it makes it easier to learn what they can/cannot do, and what they're trying to do to you. Also, there are skills that work across multiple classes, that are easier to master in one class over another.
  • With a couple of caveats, don't rush up the tiers; WOWS is quite good at introducing various new elements in semi-logical stages as you go up the tiers, and you'll do better if you don't jump stages. If you do jump straight to - say - T7, then you have to learn to deal with hydro, radar, and other stuff all at the same time, which will suck. As to the caveats, you usually need T5+ to do missions, plus there are a lot of T4 CVs around at the moment, and T3 (particularly) AA is largely nonexistent.
  • Learn about captains (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander); they make a very significant difference, when suitably skilled (and your opponents will usually have good ones at higher tiers). With a bit of +/- you generally want at least a 10 point captain from T5 onwards (i.e. when you're into the +2 MM bracket), most usually because that's the soonest you can get the CE skill.
  • Learn how to maximise your income/rewards (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy) and how the economy works in general - you'll have a more comfortable time of it. Short version: do as much damage as possible (so, surviving as long as possible is good), and ideally high proportions of ship's hp i.e. 10K damage to a DD is better than the same damage to a BB, say.
  • Join a clan, ideally one that's happy to teach. Besides accelerating your rate of learning, most established clans have a reasonably developed base, and that grants you bonuses to things like xp/silver/coal etc.

There's plenty of other stuff, but that's a starter for ten...

• Cool 3

[BATES]
Players
683 posts
10,112 battles

Hello, simply you have too few experience to play tiers above 5. I saw your stats and you did 1 battle with t6 (Huanghe) and 2 with t7 (Nelson). Both premium ships. It is strongly suggested to avoid playing premium ships above the higher tier you reached grinding the silver lines. Gain experience on game dynamics (spotting, aiming, role of the diifferent ship types) on t5, then pick a line you want to go up and do all the battles needed on all the tiers. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,487 posts
14,046 battles

Your stats aren't any worse than what would normally be expected on a new account with your amount of battles. As has been said, avoid higher tier premiums for now, learn in low tier, once you feel like your skills there have improved, push in to mid, and eventually high. Don't rush it, and look up material published by community contributors - there's plenty of videos that deal with how to play, from the most general to ship specific ones. 

Overall, though, the fact you're checking your stats and asking yourself what you're doing wrong is actually a really good sign.

• Cool 2

Players
1,487 posts
14,046 battles

Here's some basic stuff a lot of new players get wrong:

- go to settings -> controls: under "alternative interface mode", select "full".

- when in battle, use the "+" key to enlarge your mini map. In it's default state, it's just too small to easily and quickly read the information you need. This is one of your most important tools, if not the most important tool. Hit that "+" key several times.

- now click on the little cog icon next to the mini map (push and hold "ctrl" - this lets you click on interface elements during the battle) - enable ship names and last known positions. Both are essential - trust me on this. It's not enough to just know which ship class is there, you need to know exactly what. Similarly, last known positions is very important so you can guage where were important targets last spotted and guestimate where they went from there.

- customize the minimap for each individual ship you play, as you play them. The game will remember the settings. For example, on DD's, you want to turn on your AA spotting range, this can sometimes let you stay unspotted by CV's (keep your AA off as a DD to help with this, P key). On ships with, say, hydro or radar, you will want to turn on their ranges (displayed by circles around your ship on the minimap). This will primarily be useful when you get to mid and high tiers, though depending on which ships you play you do get access to some hydro during mid tiers.

- keep looking at the minimap often, and keep track of where your team is, and where the enemy team is, and where is everyone going, and position accordingly. This will also take some practice, but like I said, you're actually wondering how to improve which already puts you above most of the player base, so keep at it and you'll get there.

Keep doing this, and after your battles, ask yourself why did your team win or lose, same for the enemy. How did they position? What happened as a result? Utilizing the minimap information will become second nature eventually, when it does you will be a stronger player for it.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,215 posts
14,119 battles

Try to solve your technical problems. Game crashes are not really fun.

• Boring 1

[R3B3L]
Players
870 posts
29,039 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

don't rush up the tiers

^ THIS is in my opinion the most important advice when it comes to Wows.

You are not in hurry, consider the game a long-term-project and don´t jump ships with free-XP.

And don´t pay to progress (tho i do suggest a premium-acc).

People often think "i fail at T4 but when i jump to T7 it will get better" - haha, nope :Smile_bajan2:

And as others said; don´t bother with statistics for now - you just started. Welcome! :Smile_honoring:

Players
40 posts
2,577 battles

World of Warships is a easy to play, but hard to master game. And as with many things in life, becoming good takes time ... a lot of time.

As mentioned above, start with the lower tiers and try to get comfortable playing these tiers. Don't see tier X as a goal, but see becoming good in the game as a goal.

If you unlock a new ship, learn about it: Watch videos on youtube, twitch, etc... Read the world of warships wiki on that ship. These are all guides for the ships which are written or made by persons who are much more capable.

With this new information, you can try to use this in your own gameplay. But don't be sad if it doesn't work out, maybe you have a bad day or maybe this type of ship doesn't suit you. Just play another ship or another game, if it is a really bad day.

If you die too soon or without having much damage done, ask yourself what went wrong (if you say it is the team's fault, think again. In 99% of the cases there were still things you could have done better). If you don't understand it, do some research. For example, the overmatch mechanics of the bows, spotting ranges, what happens with your spotting range if you fire your guns and for how long...

This are the reasons why you should start at lower tiers. At these tiers, you only need to understand the raw mechanics of the game: moving (turning circle, top speed, acceleration...) & shooting (penetration, aiming, ...). When you feel ready for the next tier, you will experience new mechanics (smoke, hydro, radar, cyclones, etc.). Only go to the next tier if you are comfortable playing at that tier, because most tech tree ships are improvements of the tiers below (phoenix-omaha, aoba-myoko, konigsberg-nurnberg,... (there are exceptions to this rule: (kuma-furutaka, omaha-pensacola, etc.)

But the most important point is to enjoy the game, otherwise you will not be willing to improve your play.

Good Luck!

[KOKOS]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
105 posts
2,142 battles

Personal experience as a player with small number of games: Don't go above Tier 6, it won't be fun up there when you don't know what you are doing. I have a rough time in my Moskva and have refrained from buying Kremlin even though I have it unlocked and I went back to tier 5 british and french BBs, I couldn't believe how good of a decision that was. My advice is to try a few ship lines at low tiers and get to know the mechanics of the game and to see which line suits your play style, before you go to higher tiers. I made a mistake rushing Russian cruisers and BBs and I ended up in Tier 10 games not really knowing what I am doing, so I hardly play Moskva at the moment and stick to lower tiers. One more thing that is good to do is going to COOP or scenario battles to test a new ship you get, just to get a feeling for your guns, it's far less pressure when you can concentrate on your firing, dispersion of guns, arcs of shell flight etc. You might even want to use those to unlock some earlier modules, but I don't really like that method, because you get used to playing with bots and that makes you worse in random battles. 

I can also recommend watching some You Tube videos of Sea Lord  Mountbatten or iChaseGaming (iChaseGaming made a series of video guides really recently so it is up to date and Sea Lord made a video 2 days ago with a few tips for new players.). Watching some people like Flamu or Flambass can also help.

• Cool 1

[CCN]
[CCN]
Players
13 posts
3,578 battles

So, my stats saying that i'm going stronk, but man i really suck in dds and cvs, for all beginners watch youtube, read forums, watch minimap, run if there is no ally ships, and dont turn broadside...

edit: and dont play coop to much, there you will generally acquire bad habbits, its only good for directives

stronk.jpg

[SM0KE]
Players
5,441 posts
13,436 battles
1 hour ago, Bleoporg said:

i really suck in dds and cvs

I wouldn't be too downhearted - DDs tend to involve rather high-risk-high-reward gameplay, and can take a little while to get used to as a result.

I'm not actively good in any class (the same way that the Sahara isn't actively wet), but I do like DDs. The approximate approach that I took FWIW was to start with the more conservative gameplay options, so things that rely more on long-range torps (and have a decent stealth torp window, so mainly IJN); that got me used to sneaking around and more risk-averse (for DDs) strategies; torps can be very flaky and a decent player will avoid them easily, but they are useful against the bulk of the player base. After that, I started to add in things where the guns were more than an afterthought i.e. the bulk of your damage still comes from torps, but judicious gun use can make a difference and - more importantly - gets you used to gun use in DDs (you can probably hit stuff already, but managing the loss of stealth when you fire can take some getting used to). From there, more gun-orientated designs are the next step.

Besides that, it's key to understand smoke, hydro, and radar, plus how vision works in the game generally (the last one is crucial); almost all DDs rely - to some degree - on being sneaky, and it's essential to master how to do that, as you don't really have much else to save you from the attentions of the enemy (obscene speed, in a few cases, theoretically can replace some stealth, but that's usually more 'advanced' DDs). A couple of pointers when thinking about vision and related stuff:

• You don't have to camp in smoke; it's often better to use it as a 'vision break', placed between you (and/or allies) and the enemy. If you camp in smoke, any self-respecting captain with torps in range will fire them into said smoke on general principles (you can occasionally use a smoke cloud that you aren't in as torpedo bait, but pick your moments - doing so tells the enemy at least which vague bit of the map you're in).
  • Keep an eye on where enemy hydro ships are: besides detecting you (although usually at shorter range), each one represents a big potential 'circle of detection' for your torps - the gormless BB that you just fired a full set of fish at is a lot more likely to get away with it if said fish were detected by someone with hydro long before they would have detected them otherwise.
  • Radar can be a bugger (technical term) as it tends to be long ranged (it's worth learning the ranges of the more common types) and goes through islands; try and keep track of where the enemy radars are (and try and persuade your allies to sink them if they can - don't get your hopes up though) and, if you are in range of one or more, keep half an eye on an exit plan - although radar can see you on the far side of an island, the island still stops direct fire (beware 'rainbow' gun arc ships though) if you can get it between you and the foe.
  • Switch your AA off (p key is the default) when you don't need it - if your AA range is further than your air detection range. DD AA fire is not usually terribly good, and gives your position away much sooner - it's often better to try and sneak away from planes than to try and kill them.
  • CVs are a major problem for DDs; however, the threat can be reduced from direct damage by learning how to dodge the various attack types - the main problem is being spotted. As with radar, monitor the CV, its planes, and know where to run to if they come after you (islands block enemy surface fire, and allies with decent AA can discourage the planes themselves). If you can make the CV's life difficult, they will may go after easier prey, or waste time on you that should be spent scragging someone else (assuming you meet a typical CV driver; a good will just kill you all kinds of dead regardless, but that's not unique to CVs).

As to how to CV, I can't really offer much sensible advice as I *really* suck in them (the most fun I usually have with the class is driving a semi-secondary GZ into the middle of a bunch of Coop bots and engaging them with maximum manliness - hilarious, but bloody stupid); hopefully, more competent players will be able to provide spiritual guidance here.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this