Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Measuperbia

Isoroku yamamoto

32 comments in this topic

Players
57 posts
4,335 battles

Hey, I just got this legendary commander. Any protip whats the best ship for him?

• Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,579 battles

no clue, I am having the same issue :-) he's sitting in the reserve for a month or two already ...

[CAIN]
Players
4,371 posts
18,477 battles

Pretty much any IJN ship. 

If YOU like BBs, place him on your highest/most favorite Tier BB. If you prefer CAs/ DDs...you get the idea. 

No Point having him on a Yamato for instance, if you don't like/ can't Play this ship. 

Pick the ship/ class you're most comfortable with. 

• Cool 4

[SHAFT]
Players
9,515 posts
8,849 battles

Basicly every ship works for Yamamoto.

Just put it on the class which you play/enjoy the most.

• Cool 1

Players
130 posts
15,583 battles
8 dakika önce, Measuperbia dedi:

Hey, I just got this legendary commander. Any protip whats the best ship for him?

YAMA-mo-TO

Is that clear? 

• Funny 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,198 posts
10,430 battles

BB is best, those have the most profite from all the perks, but you can take him on almost every ship

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,382 battles

I use him in my Yoshino, and it's quite easy to trigger his first blood skill if you can catch a DD early – so cruisers will work well.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,436 posts
13,396 battles

Depends a bit, IMO, on how good a player you are and in what:

• If you're focused on mainly the boosted skills, he's probably of most value as a BB captain (mine is currently on my T8, but will eventually go to Yamato when I get round to it), as most of them are most suited for BB use. That said, at least some high point builds can/will use these skills to some degree (PM is useful on almost anything, if you have a point kicking around, and some people do take EM for IJN ships that aren't BBs)...
  • If you're good enough to regularly make use of the talents, then he can usefully go on almost anything, although the skills still tend to suggest a BB.

Players
57 posts
4,335 battles

How about harugumo? The module incap -45%?

Im not sure if its worth to "waste" the 2skill points in expert marksman for any IJN bb or ca? I mean its does not really help that much with +1 traverse?

[SHAFT]
Players
9,515 posts
8,849 battles
6 minutes ago, Measuperbia said:

How about harugumo? The module incap -45%?

Im not sure if its worth to "waste" the 2skill points in expert marksman for any IJN bb or ca? I mean its does not really help that much with +1 traverse?

BBs dont really need the PM, but its good for DDs.

On the other hand, Yamato desperately needs turret traverse, so EM is really nice there.

• Cool 1

Players
986 posts
11,558 battles

The Yamato is very good for the buff in turret traverse. 
The cruisers also benefit from it, but its a matter of preference. 
Don't put it on CVs, thats a waste generally- the talents are far too specific. 
Destroyers mainly benefit from talents, and you'd have to play for the talents (first blood and kraken based). 

Grtz the fleet admiral himself, Isoruku_Yamamoto

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,243 posts
7,217 battles

Have him in my Akizuki, it is a ship where getting the first blood seems to happen now and again

shot-20.01.20_18.33.15-0884.jpg

Beta Tester
2,792 posts
7,088 battles

I have Yamamomtotototo on Kitakaze as primary, he then shares Harekaze, Kamikaze and clones, Tachibana, Katori, Yubari. 

Odly enough he preforms best on Kamikaze since it prints first blood for me, and after a kraken whilst on low HP, well, chat gose balistic usually :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
286 posts
35,701 battles

I have him on the Kitakaze and just had a match with both first blood and a Kraken; extra consumables, plenty of DPM to take out a Friesland easily while the heal was still running...:)

As mentioned above, just put him on your most favorite ship

Players
889 posts
16,814 battles

Something i think that is worth mentioning though, regarding his special talents

If you get a Kraken, you get a heal and a reload boost. Now, if you have him on a ship that has no heal whatsoever, you get the full effect/benefit. If you trigger this on a ship that has a heal, it basically only heals what you can heal 

Not sure if I made myself clear here..

[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles
On 1/20/2020 at 6:06 PM, Puerto_Rico_is_Free said:

Something i think that is worth mentioning though, regarding his special talents

If you get a Kraken, you get a heal and a reload boost. Now, if you have him on a ship that has no heal whatsoever, you get the full effect/benefit. If you trigger this on a ship that has a heal, it basically only heals what you can heal 

Not sure if I made myself clear here..

The healing ablilty is actually bugged, past iterations it will also heal non-repairable part anyway.

Players
1,142 posts
18,299 battles

I have mine currently in Musashi but hardly ever can activate the talents. I've thought about moving him to Shimakaze after reaching 19 points since the extra turret traverse would be useful in sudden knife-fights and I score First Blood quite often, which would free the points spent in SI for something else.

Salute.

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,178 battles
On 1/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, Measuperbia said:

Well, I have him in my Mogami, since it is my most played ship and most of his specials and buffed skills can be used or are most likely to activate in it. This arrangement has worked nicely for me, even got to use them all a few times by now. :cap_like:

[THESO]
Players
1,120 posts
15,198 battles

I use my Yamamoto on the Zao, and since it's a 19 pointer and the skills work reasonably well, I also use it on Azuma and Yoshino, sometimes even Musashi. The premium ships are not the hard choice, you don't have to retrain the commander to use it on them.

One can make good arguments for any ship with this captain.

- The first argument for me was: A unique captain with improved skills gives a small advantage in competitive environments. Not the active buffs, but the improved skills. In competitive, every bit counts. So initally a player might ask himself: How important is competitive play for me? What ships do i play competitive? How likely is it that I will use the ship in competitive environments?

- Part of an extension of the first argument: You want your unique commander to count for something. The tier mostly used in Ranked and Clan Battles is T10. So ideally you put Yamamoto on a T10-tech-tree ship.

- The commander should, maxed out, additionally work with as many premium ships as possible. It may be a gimmick, but if you have a unique commander, you want to use it as many times as possible, i.e. with as many ships that you play frequently.

- Shimakaze: Yamamoto works with Shima. The First Blood skill is not hard to get with your first torp salvo into smoke hiding a DD or cruiser. Getting a Kraken is possible, though not particlarly easy. The passive skills are however limited to PM. It contradicts the playstyle of Shima to regularly go into extended close range gun fights. Likewise you aim to not be spotted, meaning module incapacitation should be avoided by staying unspotted. So turret traverse and better PM are not what you aim for. Shima especially doesn't allow for generous nice-to-have skills. You can however use the captain on other torp boats, like Asashio, Shinonome, Kamikaze, if you have them. So I'd say there are ships to better use Yamamoto on.

- Harugumo: On the upside Harugumo is a strong gunboat and can easily get First Blood when gunning down a DD early. That will enable the extra consumable. For Harugumo, the extra smoke and torp booster are pretty helpful and promote its playstyle. Also the capability of getting First Blood gives Harugumo a head start towards the Kraken. But then again, the HE spam is suited to finish targets, not so much to wear down multiple targets one after another. The limited gun range keeps the Harugumo from taking shots at targets of opportunity. Turret traverse is sufficient to not invest into EM and since you got LS, you don't need an improved PM as much. The build will porbably also work nicely if you move the captain to Hayate. So Yamamoto will work, but not especially well.

- Zao: I played Zao for several seasons, so I put Yamamoto on the Zao. My only 4pt-skill is CE. I tested RPF. I still was mostly in a defensive role. Kiting away, my torp tubes and rudder get knocked out easily. The better PM almost eliminates that from happening. Using the Legendary Mod, your turrets turn too slow to keep firing while turning and turn you do all the time. So EM is almost a dpm buff and mandatory. The First Strike is pretty easy to get. The firing arcs and dispersion are very good to finish a DD spotted early. Kraken however is hard to get. The nature of the Zao is long range HE-spam. You will do a lot of fires on different targets but HE-spammers seldom get the killing last blow on targets. The captain build synergizes well, though not perfect with IJN-battle cruiser and premium-cruisers like Atago.

- Yamato: The typical build for Yamato doesn't use PM, but rather PT. However EM is mandatory and - even more so with the LM - the faster turret traverse of Yamamoto mitigates one of the most painful features. You got a decent chance to get First Blood, not so much if a DD is spotted first, but rather if a cruiser is spotted early while still moving into position and you can blap it. The chances to enable the heal are probably the highest of all T10 IJN-ship. The accuracy and range of the Yamato enables her to finish low health ships all over the map. And it gets even better, if you got some of the FreeXP or Coal ships. Musashi in terms of skills used is identical to Yamato, and Azuma as well as Yoshino work pretty good with the standard BB-survival-build. You will have one 19-pt unique captain for 4 ships, if you have any premium-BBs for doubloons, they will use it as well.

So long story short: Yamamoto probably has the highest utility for Yamato, unless you are particularly good in one of the other ships or use one of them excessively in competitive environments.

One thing though becomes pretty obvious after this analysis: IJN line is in dire need of more unique captains. While USN-line offers 4-5 of them, IJN-line, as old as USN line, only has Yamamoto. Hopefully, Wargaming will come up with events for more IJN-captains.

• Bad 1

Players
2,773 posts
17,292 battles

Hatsuharu.

The ultimate build needs Expert Marksman and Torpedo Acceleration* with no room for Last Stand. The 45% PM perk with 20% equipment negates loosing it almost entirely and as the stealthiest tier 6 DD you also have a high chance of getting first blood. Also can have fun/generate a ton of cap XP in Scenarios.

*IJN torpedoes have been powercrept into oblivion. The captain can also be used with Asashio, stock Harakaze (if you want a premium Kagero) and I guess Yudachi (if anyone's got it from a crate)

11 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

It contradicts the playstyle of Shima to regularly go into extended close range gun fights. Likewise you aim to not be spotted, meaning module incapacitation should be avoided by staying unspotted. So turret traverse and better PM are not what you aim for.

You should be engaging other DDs, IJN guns a amazing. First game back in Shima and I took down a noob Kleb with ease.

Also not getting spotted at high tier? With all the radar and rocket planes? Really? PM is a God tier skill for DDs.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this