You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ForlornSailor

Cap buoys invisible since latest patch

40 comments in this topic

Players
6,316 posts
10,537 battles

So this is a permanent thing, not a one time bug for me. Each and every game covering every day and several sessions. Its coop, randoms - doesnt matter. Its also the same when im dead and flying around as a spectator - buoys only pop up when im really close to them. The buoys actually have a spotting distance of ~ 1,8 km. Unless I zoom in, then everything is normal.

I attach some screens to make it obvious

First pic: I only see one buoy, but not the others, that continue to mark the cap. They are "too far" away^^

Second pic: No buoys visible at all, since im in the cap too far away from them.

So question: am I the only one? Apperently its not that common, because else the forum would be full? What is causing it, some weird combination of settings? does anyone else have it?

image.thumb.png.df9d3d2a66e35b594262322696dc7da3.png

shot-20_01.19_04_14.16-0105.thumb.jpg.9274ffd7a1da432e6503b24a7bef826b.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
9,816 posts
11,501 battles

Objects disappearing at fixed distance probably mean someone fluffed up lod models or connection to said models in config file(s).

Mine buoys are disappearing at +-3.0km, depending on zoom on camera, which looks about right, as you barely can't see them to begin with. Try running integrity check?

Players
3,292 posts
14,054 battles

Well I keep getting invisible ships and AA when they are and should be spotted by DIRECT line of sight. So. Just another bug in a bug filled game. 
Why spend time making the game better when you can spam out over priced prem ships and profit anyway.

• Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,804 posts
27 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

So question: am I the only one?

same here...

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,823 posts
11,532 battles
4 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Well I keep getting invisible ships and AA when they are and should be spotted by DIRECT line of sight. So. Just another bug in a bug filled game. 
Why spend time making the game better when you can spam out over priced prem ships and profit anyway.

Same, losing 1-2 planes to 5 seconds of dakka and just than the game decides to render the ship for me... 

Maybe cv nerf? 

Players
3,292 posts
14,054 battles
8 minutes ago, kfa said:

Same, losing 1-2 planes to 5 seconds of dakka and just than the game decides to render the ship for me... 

Maybe cv nerf? 

I sent a ticket but was away so could not send the files before they closed the ticket. Apparently replays and screenshots isn’t enough to make them look into it properly.

[NLD23]
Players
27 posts
6,080 battles

Same here. Pretty annoying for me when capping at the edge. Only zooming in helps.

• Cool 1

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,167 posts
23,653 battles

Same for me, after last update. 

I have to check the cap circles on the map. 

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,167 posts
23,653 battles
15 minutes ago, Altsak said:

Try maxing foliage quality.

Worked fine before, this is something after last update. 

Players
382 posts
7,798 battles

Foliage has nothing do with buoys. 

If anything, and as we are throwing ideas around.  It should be Draw Distance, Object LOD.  But, they (buoys) shouldn't be unseen when close enough to render them.

Side note: My ingame performance have dropped in this 9.0.0 patch.  Used to be on average FPS of 55~65, now I get 30~40s.

Bearing in mind that I have not changed any graphical settings after the patch install. 

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,860 posts
11,731 battles

It's not happening to me.

I'm using a NVidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

I play with the HD graphics and everything maxed out (graphic wise).   I have 8X Antialaising and Texture filtering Anistropic 16X

• Cool 1

[NMA]
Players
1,221 posts
18,495 battles
20 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

So question: am I the only one? Apperently its not that common, because else the forum would be full? What is causing it, some weird combination of settings? does anyone else have it?

Same here, I just thought it was something on my end :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,351 posts
18,418 battles

Running game on max Settings, no mods and the Buoys appear ~2km in front of my ship. 

Is it possible, that WG had to cut Corners, considering the fact that the engine can't handle too many Shells in the air and we have a quite a number of HE Spammers in the game now? :Smile_trollface:

Or, Maybe it's  just a bug, any info on this one @MrConway ?

• Cool 1

[PIKES]
Players
392 posts

ummmh I was thinking i had a problem with my glasses   :cap_cool: Using the mini-map help me when i can't see them

[ADRIA]
Players
232 posts
9,231 battles

Same here. I play on low video settings and don't feel like increasing the render distance because of performance issues.

Players
6,316 posts
10,537 battles

So I had a little time to investigate a little and toy around in coop. And I found something in the settings, that had an impact on the visibility of the buoys. Its "Object LOD". Now ive had this on "low" since forever and never knew what it does.

image.png.71695fbca95275d6db221627cf90877d.png

And thats the view I have now again:

shot-20_01.20_15_21.15-0612.thumb.jpg.9fe29f0baec472e2c8990d7da226cfbe.jpg

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,770 posts
19,435 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

Its "Object LOD".

LoD is Level of Detail. Objects in video games typically have several LoD models which render at different distances to save on performance. E.g.

Tan_Daut_Review_fig1.png

The further away you are the less detailed the object becomes as you won't be able to appreciate a better looking model at bigger distances anyway. If you have performance to spare though you can render higher quality models even at distance, hence the option to tune it to your liking.

And I wish buoys were the only thing constantly invisible despite being supposedly visible in this game.

But alas, WG and fixing bugs are mutually exclusive.

• Funny 1

[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,579 battles
6 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

LoD is Level of Detail. Objects in video games typically have several LoD models which render at different distances to save on performance. E.g.

Tan_Daut_Review_fig1.png

The further away you are the less detailed the object becomes as you won't be able to appreciate a better looking model at bigger distances anyway.

And I wish buoys were the only thing constantly invisible despite being supposedly visible in this game.

But alas, WG and fixing bugs are mutually exclusive.

part of LOD design is also the draw distances at which the objects change to a lower detail model and the distance where the object does not appear at all ... so having it on low moves the distances closer and the objects degrade faster and disappear earlier ....

if you try to argument with Draw distance setting, that's a general horizon after which nothing is rendered and acts as the farthest LOD boundary/cull distance.

EDIT: in general in games like WoWs (and open map FPSs) you want to have the best LOD and farthest draw distance setting your HW can handle with the other effects low to keep performance :-)

• Cool 2

Players
6,316 posts
10,537 battles
1 hour ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

part of LOD design is also the draw distances at which the objects change to a lower detail model and the distance where the object does not appear at all ... so having it on low moves the distances closer and the objects degrade faster and disappear earlier ....

if you try to argument with Draw distance setting, that's a general horizon after which nothing is rendered and acts as the farthest LOD boundary/cull distance.

EDIT: in general in games like WoWs (and open map FPSs) you want to have the best LOD and farthest draw distance setting your HW can handle with the other effects low to keep performance :-)

Erm yea, sure, makes all perfect sense and its the reason why I touched that first. However: there is another setting called "draw distance" which I always had on "far" for exactly that reason. And LOD, in professional software, usualy doesnt influence the distance, at which something is visible, but only the level of details, which are loaded - atleast when you have an option for drawing distance available since that one does define, well, exatly that. On top of that: LOD in wows never before influenced the drawing distance. Like I said: these are my settings for years. And why WG felt the need to change this now without any notification in the patch notes (unless I missed it) is another mystery.