You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
viceadmiral123

Your Puerto Rico impressions

42 comments in this topic

Players
1,106 posts
20,937 battles

How do you play this ship so you get the most out of it? When do you switch ammo? I want to pick the brain of players that have gained experience with it.

It is a good ship for ramming, and it has respectable secondary battery which can be fun if you play it as a mini-bb.

I've had more success going to court against the government than trying to hit a DD at 4km range with Puerto Rico's marshmallow launchers. 

You know how Stalingrad citadels BBs at 15 kilometers. Well, Puerto's peanuts shatter on the belt of slightly angled Yamato at 3km ranges.

edit: let's check out Puerto Rico's DPM against close range destroyer:

Spoiler

• Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
26,099 posts
14,098 battles

PR shells have around 560mm penetration at 3km.

Your Yamato needs some decent angling to shatter that.

And the fligh time to 4km is 2s...

• Cool 1

[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,391 battles
12 minutes ago, viceadmiral123 said:

How do you play this ship so you get the most out of it? When do you switch ammo? I want to pick the brain of players that have gained experience with it.

It is a good ship for ramming, and it has respectable secondary battery which can be fun if you play it as a mini-bb.

I've had more success going to court against the government than trying to hit a DD at 4km range with Puerto Rico's marshmallow launchers. 

You know how Stalingrad citadels BBs at 15 kilometers. Well, Puerto's peanuts shatter on the belt of slightly angled Yamato at 3km ranges.

If you have any experience with Alaska the same rules apply since they share the same guns and ammunition. 

At long ranges vs. bbs - use HE. If up against a bow-in target use HE. Against broadsiding ships - AP should be aimed at the upper hull - not the waterline. You should prioritise shooting cruisers because that is what your gun battery and armour scheme is designed for - to bully enemy cruisers. If you can blap a radar ship early on you will help your team no end. If you can take a chunk of HP from their superheavy cruisers (Alaska, Krondstadt, Azuma, etc.) you will make your team's job easier.

Getting into a straight-up  1 v 1 fight with a BB isn't a smart idea. Shoot at DDs whenever you get the chance but don't go trying to chase them down like you perhaps would with a smaller cruiser. 

You don't need to get too close and in fact you will be punished if you try. You need to operate in and around your detection range so you can stop firing and disappear if things get too dicey. If you are trying to use it as brawling BB you will lose, every single time. If you are regularly getting into secondary range you are not using the ship correctly - it is a medium range shell lobber - not a close-in brawler.

Like the other superheavy CAs - you are essentially a battlecruiser taking up a cruiser slot. 

• Cool 3

Players
1,106 posts
20,937 battles
5 hours ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

Can i just say: NO COMMENT

You can and you will.

5 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

PR shells have around 560mm penetration at 3km.

Your Yamato needs some decent angling to shatter that.

And the fligh time to 4km is 2s...

I like to play PR like I play my BBs - close and personal. Check out how PR's armor piercing marshmallow shatters on Yamato's 40 degree angled belt at 0.9km range - https://youtu.be/PrHX9yoQPjc?t=699

The pen values are on par with the IJN ones, in the bottom of the chart.

5 hours ago, Gvozdika said:

Getting into a straight-up  1 v 1 fight with a BB isn't a smart idea. Shoot at DDs whenever you get the chance but don't go trying to chase them down like you perhaps would with a smaller cruiser. 

Smart - depends, fun - definitely yes :Smile-_tongue:

Shooting DDs with Puerto Rico - 

Shooting DD at 4-6km range - shots/hits - 0/6, 0/6, 4/6, 2/6, 1/6.

Damage - about 6.5k in 5 salvos? Destroyers beware:Smile_teethhappy:  Previous battle I sank a DD with Jean Bart in 12 seconds with 2 shots with reload booster...

[CATS]
Players
26,099 posts
14,098 battles
58 minutes ago, viceadmiral123 said:

I ike to play PR like I play my BBs - close and personal. Check out how PR's armor piercing marshmallow shatters on Yamato's 40 degree angled belt at 0.9km range - https://youtu.be/PrHX9yoQPjc?t=699

Now I understand your problem even less.

You citadeled him fine. Results got worse when he was heavily angled.

Players
3,130 posts
10,561 battles

They are balanced.....That is a start.

Not seen one of them in the top 3 yet.

I cant help but feel sorry for those that out-right brought this and spent a mini fortune.  Soooooo not worth it I am afrade. 

Our clan mates that have it arnt too impressed. 

[SV]
Players
695 posts
11,345 battles
22 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

They are balanced.....That is a start.

Not seen one of them in the top 3 yet.

I cant help but feel sorry for those that out-right brought this and spent a mini fortune.  Soooooo not worth it I am afrade. 

Our clan mates that have it arnt too impressed. 

its a good ship and i think it was worth the boosters i bought! i am also afrade* :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Players
1,106 posts
20,937 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Now I understand your problem even less.

You citadeled him fine. Results got worse when he was heavily angled.

I don't have problem, maybe this is confusing you. I am showing off the poor accuracy and penetration of this 305mm rifle at 1km range - 

4 out of 6 hits at 1.1km range at ~70 degree angle, 4 pens.

3 out of 6 hits at 0.9km range at ~40 degree angle, 1 pen, 2 shatters. 

This kind of penetration I would expect from 203mm USN rifle, not 305mm. We need more gunpowder in the marshmallows!

Players
372 posts
5,641 battles
9 hours ago, viceadmiral123 said:

edit: let's check out Puerto Rico's DPM against close range destroyer:

Hide contents

What is that mod with the targeted ships angling called? That is.... clever, I want it lol

Players
3,130 posts
10,561 battles
5 minutes ago, Rionnen_marksman said:

What is that mod with the targeted ships angling called? That is.... clever, I want it lol

It's called an unfair advantage and should be band IMHO.

A lot of people with fantastic stats use mods. 

It's one way to increase your stats by quite a bit.  Personally it's bloody cheating and I don't have a part in it.

• Cool 3

Players
1,981 posts
13,015 battles

Aim at Kagero was way off in first 2 attempts, not even close, all went into the water, 3rd try was ok and 5k health was gone, last one- she was angled so one hit was  normal RNG thing vs so small profile target.

What do you want? Instant deletion of everything because 80 euro, no matter of aim?

Sorry, it's not Russian:cap_haloween:

[CATS]
Players
26,099 posts
14,098 battles
1 hour ago, viceadmiral123 said:

I don't have problem, maybe this is confusing you. I am showing off the poor accuracy and penetration of this 305mm rifle at 1km range - 

4 out of 6 hits at 1.1km range at ~70 degree angle, 4 pens.

3 out of 6 hits at 0.9km range at ~40 degree angle, 1 pen, 2 shatters. 

This kind of penetration I would expect from 203mm USN rifle, not 305mm. We need more gunpowder in the marshmallows!

You shot him multiple citadels in your first salvo, one in the second...

And at 40 degree, you should not expect much.

Players
889 posts
16,759 battles

It's.. mediocre. Don't get me wrong, it's not weak, however..

If I want to bring a radar cruiser I will get DM, Alaska, Moskva

If I want to sling HE I will get my Zao or Yoshino

If I just want to s**t on everything I will get my Stalingrad

Players
2,586 posts
18,739 battles
12 minutes ago, Puerto_Rico_is_Free said:

If I just want to s**t on everything I will get my Stalingrad

Eh. I usually bring me Smol for that. But I dont have the Stal, so not sure it counts.

[RODS]
Players
1,223 posts
7,208 battles

Havn´t played PR yet, been grinding the Zao Legendary (for weeks) and finally got it so moved on to Smolensk today. :Smile_trollface:

Have several others I want to play too, Bayard, Benham and Irian before moving on to PR

From what I have seen of PR the last week or two it does seem to derp way more than average  

(Ship or :etc_swear: captain issue ?)

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
300 posts
7,531 battles

It's a pretty good package...

Apart from the inexplicable Montana dispersion...

And the reload that's longer than the Alaska because reasons...

And the rear gun angles being so limited that when nose in you can only use the front turrets (see points above)

I'd be livid if I'd spent £250 on it when it came out

Players
330 posts
8,836 battles

Puerto Rico is hilarious fun for me.

image.thumb.png.059546fe270fb70926043719f18aa560.png (the last 5 games were 8-minute steamrolls where I only got to kill the enemy DD and ended up with only that damage, on a win, big sad :( )

In general as @Gvozdika said, you need to play around your concealment. It's got radar, but it's not a primary radar ship. Because of the enormous buffer between radar and concealment, I generally use the radar defensively. I know I'm not going to kill the thing I radar, so I generally like to be around other ships within range that are equally as desperate to kill that cheeky DD that's harrassing them as I am, and then pop that radar as soon as I "smell" that the DD is close enough. That's about it.

That being said, I love those situations when I get to surprise a BB and get point-blank to it then do a driveby and inevitably slap it with a gajillion citadel hits. Those moments are pretty rare, but they're goddamn fun. Basically, I play it similarly to how I play Alaska, but a little more passively and sometimes doing things that are far more stupid than the things I can get away with in Alaska. It's just funny sitting full broadside-to-broadside 3km from a Yamato and outgunning it with AP.

• Cool 1

Players
1,106 posts
20,937 battles
9 hours ago, You_Overextended said:

Puerto Rico is hilarious fun for me.

image.thumb.png.059546fe270fb70926043719f18aa560.png (the last 5 games were 8-minute steamrolls where I only got to kill the enemy DD and ended up with only that damage, on a win, big sad :( )

Those are very nice PR stats. But you talk about brawling BBs, so you must have also experienced the peanut shattering on belt. I find myself unable to bear the wonky accuracy at range, so I try to radar caps and eventually get in favorable brawls in close range. And sometimes even at 2-3km ranges the accuracy fails me and I land half my shots in the water/over the target. Ram it is!

Speaking of steamrolls, I have shared my latest carry with Stalingrad, the cruiser that has ruined all other cruisers for me. I find it so easy to play after adjusting myself to the Puerto Rico strugglebus.

Spoiler

[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles
21 hours ago, Rionnen_marksman said:

Alt hud if I remember it correctly (Alasin)

21 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

It's called an unfair advantage and should be band IMHO.

A lot of people with fantastic stats use mods. 

It's one way to increase your stats by quite a bit.  Personally it's bloody cheating and I don't have a part in it.

Some of the mods should have been vallina ages ago, nomogram crosshairs is a outright better crosshairs then any of the stock ones.

The angle mod is debatable, but considering that ships that appear to be full broadside may not actually be, it can be argued for.

the ability to toggle between turret view and spotter view is also An another one