Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fat_Maniac

Pr event appears to be a success for WG

136 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles

After all the complaining and nashing of teeth, pitch fork wielding, and the dumpster fire, it looks like the PR event was a financial success for WG.

 

Just look at the number of PR's proships reports in game.

Puerto Ricos in game:

  • RU: 5141

  • EU: 11384

  • NA: 6268

  • ASIA: 6524

 

Some one in the reddit thread estimated that only a 100 or so people on the NA server made it into the hall of fame for directive 6. mearning most people sunk some money in to get the ship. That conservatively gave WG revenue of $370k from NA alone.

 

It would appear whales are not an endangered species in WoWS.

 

God help us if the numbers are right, as WG are going to throw more events like this at us in future, who cares about the bad press, the money is flowing in.

 

 

 

  • Cool 15
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

From a monetary standpoint: maybe/probably. But it will have cost them a lot in terms of community goodwill (even CC's are fed up with their shenanigans, except the usual brownnosing subjects) and reputation. They've pulled it of once, but chances are pretty slim they'll be able to pull such "stunt" again. 

 

In the long term, they pretty much lost though.

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
2 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

From a monetary standpoint: maybe/probably. But it will have cost them a lot in terms of community goodwill (even CC's are fed up with their shenanigans, except the usual brownnosing subjects) and reputation. They've pulled it of once, but chances are pretty slim they'll be able to pull such "stunt" again. 

 

In the long term, they pretty much lost though.

But those numbers prove they haven't.

 

And look at what they have done with the British CA release, unlimited rolls of the token based dice, whilst 65k gold guarantees all 4 early release boats. 

 

Despite all the complaining and people like you and I saying no more, enough people did, and are probably willing to do it again.

 

 

  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,824 posts
15,716 battles
14 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

God help us if the numbers are right, as WG are going to throw more events like this at us in future, who cares about the bad press, the money is flowing in.

Is like child birth, comrade. It hurts a lot when you are doing it, but look what you get at the end!

 

---

 

It turned out that people will pay £100 for a unique Tier X ship, especially when you give them the chance to pay in instalments (doubloons for boosters in December, doubloons for completion in January) and the means to earn further discounts along the way. What WG need to look at it is the utter pig's ear they made of explaining the event, the way the CCs were allowed to promote the idea as being substantially cheaper than it was, the statements of community managers when it all got a bit *angry*. There are lot of lessons for them to learn, and a lot of goodwill to restore. As you say, that's just as important as the £££ the event generated.

 

I also think it's inevitable that we will get more events like this. If you read the Santa thread drop rates thread, it seems there are players who have every ship it is possible to get. Unless WG pumps out dozens of premium ships this year, those players are going to take that £50, 100, 200 they might have otherwise dropped on Santa crates and spend it on another game. So WG needs to do something to keep them spending. Looks as if this was it.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,466 posts
19,620 battles
9 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

In the long term, they pretty much lost though.

Nope, they got confirmation that they can be insulting the community and still make a profit. Absolute win.

  • Cool 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,587 posts
18,745 battles
31 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

From a monetary standpoint: maybe/probably. But it will have cost them a lot in terms of community goodwill (even CC's are fed up with their shenanigans, except the usual brownnosing subjects) and reputation. They've pulled it of once, but chances are pretty slim they'll be able to pull such "stunt" again. 

 

In the long term, they pretty much lost though.

WG: hold my beer

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

At absolute best WG might and I stress only might have learnt to make marketing a little clearer when they advertise new events. 

 

However as the numbers show plenty of people were willing to sink money into the PR grind, so we can safely say there will be more grinds of this nature in the future. 

 

Now if people are happy to do those grinds and pay that's up to them, let's just hope WG do prove better at explaining such future grinds.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,817 posts
11,519 battles
44 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

From a monetary standpoint: maybe/probably. But it will have cost them a lot in terms of community goodwill (even CC's are fed up with their shenanigans, except the usual brownnosing subjects) and reputation. They've pulled it of once, but chances are pretty slim they'll be able to pull such "stunt" again. 

 

In the long term, they pretty much lost though.

We had CV REEEwork dumpster fire, NTC dumpster fire, now PR. And yet people keep throwing money at them, so WG why should change their expertise in waste incineration?:cap_tea:

  • Cool 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,441 posts
7,600 battles
1 hour ago, Fat_Maniac said:

EU: 11384

 

Maple is saying 1,500 for w/e 18/01/2020, how reliable is your source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
2,490 posts
6,082 battles

We need to be much better with our pitchforks next time. Like get jim sterling involved asap, and spread it to as much outside media as possible. 

 

Wargaming dont care about what we think, but if media outside the world of warships circle starts giving them a hard time, thats a killer for new player whale acquisition.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,828 battles

You wish, as you can see, 10k + people on EU got it while it only disappointed 100 people on the forum in EU.

The numbers doesn't compare. The whiners voice on the forums is totally insignificant and worthless

  • Cool 9
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
58 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

 

Maple is saying 1,500 for w/e 18/01/2020, how reliable is your source?

No idea those numbers came from the reddit. I think he said proships was his source.

I thought 11k sounded high.

 

edit maybe it's 11k battles in PR? which would make more sense

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BAD-A]
Players
640 posts
9,029 battles
25 minutes ago, thiextar said:

We need to be much better with our pitchforks next time. Like get jim sterling involved asap, and spread it to as much outside media as possible. 

 

Wargaming dont care about what we think, but if media outside the world of warships circle starts giving them a hard time, thats a killer for new player whale acquisition.

Didn't someone post that Jim Sterling wasn't interested in WG anymore as they are beyond saving or somesuch?

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

It's not a public relations desaster either.

Or did you see any press article about the predatory ways of WG new year event, mentioning the community being in uproar? I tried to get some gaming magazines to report about it. The response was silence.

 

The general public isn't in any way aware of what happened here and is still happening. So with just us few players on the forums, facebook, and reddit calling WG out on it, they can easily ignore us and keep doing whatever they are doing.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
1 minute ago, Egoleter said:

It's not a public relations desaster either.

Or did you see any press article about the predatory ways of WG new year event, mentioning the community being in uproar? I tried to get some gaming magazines to report about it. The response was silence.

 

The general public isn't in any way aware of what happened here and is still happening. So with just us few players on the forums, facebook, and reddit calling WG out on it, they can easily ignore us and keep doing whatever they are doing.

Only when a competitor makes significant gains in WG's target playerbase will something change.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,441 posts
7,600 battles
3 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

edit maybe it's 11k battles in PR? which would make more sense

 

Don't think so, they were at about that number a week or so ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,817 posts
11,519 battles
Just now, Fat_Maniac said:

Only when a competitor makes significant gains in WG's target playerbase will something change.

You mean THE competitor in perforating one's foot with firearm in regular intervals?

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
Just now, Panocek said:

You mean THE competitor in perforating one's foot with firearm in regular intervals?

I mean other game developers.

 

There are several 'interesting' looking Naval Warfare titles in pipelines. It will be interesting to see if they coax any of us away to them, and more interesting to see  how WG responds to those of us still here.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,817 posts
11,519 battles
3 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

I mean other game developers.

 

There are several 'interesting' looking Naval Warfare titles in pipelines. It will be interesting to see if they coax any of us away to them, and more interesting to see  how WG responds to those of us still here.

Armored Warfare tried to wedge themselves between WoT "arcade" and WT "realistic" tanks... they haven't quite succeed at it despite being essentially clone of WoT with modern flavor.

 

And thats with "help" of both sides being arrogant and immune to player feedback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
320 posts

I only bought it as I had a but load of dubs in santa crates and managed to complete stage 5,would of been nice of wg if they extended the time for 6&7 so I could of got the coal and steel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YJKG]
Players
488 posts
21,471 battles

I boycotted the hell out of the PR event, got Gorizia and stopped looking at WoWS at that point.... they can take their PR scamfest and shove it down south imho. v.v I also know someone who bought PR and like 250 mega crates cuz he didn't care about the level of scumbaggery at play here.... I guess it's time to give the other title in the gameplay niche a shot. I've heard the company behind it is equally garbage, but let's find out first hand. v.v

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
3 minutes ago, Tirande said:

I boycotted the hell out of the PR event, got Gorizia and stopped looking at WoWS at that point.... they can take their PR scamfest and shove it down south imho. v.v I also know someone who bought PR and like 250 mega crates cuz he didn't care about the level of scumbaggery at play here.... I guess it's time to give the other title in the gameplay niche a shot. I've heard the company behind it is equally garbage, but let's find out first hand. v.v

The other company is worse, and their grinds are worse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
40 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

 

Don't think so, they were at about that number a week or so ago.

Hmm a little investigation.

 

So we are a clan of 40 and we got 5 PR's with 28 active players

Numbers look similar in other active clans. So very roughly speaking thats 12.5% of our players or 17.8% of our active players.

That 11k might not actually be far from the mark if you scale those numbers up across the EU playerbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,391 battles
2 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

After all the complaining and nashing of teeth, pitch fork wielding, and the dumpster fire, it looks like the PR event was a financial success for WG.

 

Just look at the number of PR's proships reports in game.

Puerto Ricos in game:

  • RU: 5141

  • EU: 11384

  • NA: 6268

  • ASIA: 6524

 

Some one in the reddit thread estimated that only a 100 or so people on the NA server made it into the hall of fame for directive 6. mearning most people sunk some money in to get the ship. That conservatively gave WG revenue of $370k from NA alone.

 

It would appear whales are not an endangered species in WoWS.

 

God help us if the numbers are right, as WG are going to throw more events like this at us in future, who cares about the bad press, the money is flowing in.

 

 

 

Sorry but those figures are seriously suspect - look at the other T10 figures by comparison. So apparently PR owners outnumber the players with Midway (5k) AND Haku(6k) combined..... erm.... alright.

 

11k people on EU with a PR? So half the playerbase that typically logs on each day has got one - don't you think you'd come across one in every T8-10 match if the numbers were really that high? Statistically speaking we should practically tripping over the things in the high end of the MM.....

 

Bear in mind that the most recent maplesyrup data for the EU (to the end of Dec) showed 863 unique players. Now that number will have gone up (people completing grinds, etc.) but are we to suppose that fully half of the active playerbase on the EU suddenly had a collective attack of impulsive buying and paid cash for the PR? So where are they all then?

 

Not an attack at the OP but I'm just questioning the data  and logic behind the figures.

 

 

 

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×