You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ubertron_X

British heavy cruisers

74 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,610 battles

Having not played them (yet) and only based on what I can see from the news article and techtree data with their heal, high arc & mediocre reload, strong HE, short range, good concealment and very usable torps I am getting some strong Atago/Takao vibes.

So what is your take on the new cruiser line?

Even more HE spam? Suitable as open water cruisers or dependent on island? etc.

[BBMM]
Players
5,802 posts
7,356 battles
16 minutes ago, CastorTolagi said:

Play Exeter and you know how the RN CAs are.

I have it. Lovely.

16 minutes ago, CastorTolagi said:

Edit: They get tankier down the line though

That's what they say about the CL, too. Well....

Problem: the others get bigger guns... BOOMSHANKA! :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles

Looking forward to the line to be honest.  I love the Exeter and if they are like that, could be my new fav line.

But i feel sorry for the other cruisers that will get a nerf because of them.  Also make sure you grind them quick before it gets nerfed when enough people have them.

I cant really say much about them until i actually play them. But being able to pen 50mm with HE sounds like another Henri, i wonder why that's getting a nerf then? Hummmm.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,554 posts
8,858 battles

I dont like their slow reload tbh. Also dont like Exeter, since on T5 it feels underwhelmingly bad compared to CLs imo.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,802 posts
7,356 battles
55 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I dont like their slow reload tbh. Also dont like Exeter, since on T5 it feels underwhelmingly bad compared to CLs imo.

What you do is div up with a DD- divmate... I'm quite sure you can do better than me. I'm loving it though.

The ship is kinda troll, the HE is really strong. Follow that DD-divmate to cap, blap every DD that tries to contest cap.

After that load the AP and blap broadside cruisers... then set fire to BBs. :Smile_playing:

This thing  is "hide-and-blappem" material. Once caught, wel yeah... :Smile_hiding:

Spoiler

1826794194_Exeterstatsdiv.thumb.JPG.e938d29edd335af07d2752dacaf79353.JPG

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

It's slow but packs a huge punch, 203 mm at tier 5 is god like.  Think the Sinop at tier 7. 

It's the master of hit and run.  It will surprise all Cruisers, making sure that you always get the first shot off.  That, sometimes, is all you need. 

And when supporting a DD, the HE will cause chaos. Heal for laughs and takes a beating considering it's amour. 

• Cool 5

[BBMM]
Players
5,802 posts
7,356 battles
25 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

And when supporting a DD, the HE will cause chaos. Heal for laughs and takes a beating considering it's amour. 

Yes, it will take a beating... sort of. The main thing is you need a reliable DD. 

If he screws up or decides to bail, you'll get blapped pretty quickly. 

It's not an Aoba or something like that. You REALLY need the support.

In randoms without a good divvy... well... NOPE!

Players
8,116 posts
8,931 battles
3 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

I cant really say much about them until i actually play them. But being able to pen 50mm with HE sounds like another Henri, i wonder why that's getting a nerf then? Hummmm.

Because 50 mm pen is not what made Henri strong on its own. It was a nice add-on, but great maneuverability, survivability and the pen made it nice, with the one issue having been low-dpm, but you can always use MBRB for burst damage. If doing damage to 50 mm plating was the sole important thing, Hindenburg always had better dpm than Henri by a fair margin and is better armoured to boot. And Goliath dpm-wise plays in Henri's league without the MBRB and isn't insanely fast, so 50 mm pen is not the issue. More like a low-dpm Hinden with better heal.

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles
9 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

I have the Surrey. Shoots like Buffalo for its tier, and welcomes damage from higher tier BBs like Neptune or Mino.

Buy boxes or a free one?

how you finding them?

Players
1,432 posts
10 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Buy boxes or a free one?

how you finding them?

It was on the first box. Ship is slow like a turtle, reload is slow, full turn is mediocre even with rudder upgrades, no armor other than the citadel plating. Pros, very low detect range, i think it was 9.3km. Damage output is good when it hits, plus puts good amount of fires. But when you consider the slow reload, dpm is low. It has 8km torps, situational. It can bounce shells from same or lower tier ships when angled, or takes small amount of damage, but when it's in a T9 game, higher tier BBs will just pen anywhere, bow, stern, broad, and citadel from all angles. It has considerably low firing range, 14km something need to check but don't feel like it :} , though it has a spotter plane. I played only five games in it which can't be a measure so far, cuz i need to figure out how to play it properly or better myself too. Would i take this ship over other T7 cruisers to play? Probably yes for some, no for some others.

• Cool 4

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,566 battles

The british CA's are starting from T5 with the Hawkings which has heal and hydro and 190mm guns with awfull angles. I got it today and its not fun to play since you need to give almost full broadside to shot all guns.
At T6 you get the normal twin turrets with 203mm which are mounted from the Devonshire to the Albemarle. The velocity is 814m/s on those guns so kind of USN CA level. The Range on those 3 is not great but other as the IJN CA's you get a spotter from what i have seen. Your Cita is kinda big, aka normal for RN Cruisers but you have the heal. The HE Alpha is the same as the IJN CA's have from T6 to 8 (when you take the 203s on the Mogami).
Reloadwise the T6 has 14sec, the Surrey at T7 is at 12.5 and the Albemarle has 13sec but with tripple barrles on each turret. So a little bit better then the IJN reload.
The Drake at T9 gets the 234mm guns which can pen without IFHE 58mm of armour and sits at 18.5sec reload and 15.9km range but has a Spotter. Since you want to take reload mod you can't increase it more, also she gets access to the famous british superheal. 1 Charge without premium, 2 Charges with premium consumable and 3 with SI.
The Goliath has 4x3 234mm guns with a firing rage from 16.8km. The Velocitiy here is 841m/s which is almost the same as Henris 845m/s.
Since their velocity is not the greatest i would not play them as IJN CA's far away a litle bit more closer and if needed they have the ability to push with their torpedoes + heal + relative good armour as a Cruiser.
They are not so maneuverable as the French Cruisers so they are better to hit. I would not say they will be the next top tier HE spammer.
Imo. they are all around pretty normal, balanced and not completly new shiny and fancy with a lot of new Gimmiks, i look forward to get more and try them out.

• Cool 2

Players
3,223 posts
3 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

What you do is div up with a DD- divmate... I'm quite sure you can do better than me. I'm loving it though.

The ship is kinda troll, the HE is really strong. Follow that DD-divmate to cap, blap every DD that tries to contest cap.

After that load the AP and blap broadside cruisers... then set fire to BBs. :Smile_playing:

This thing  is "hide-and-blappem" material. Once caught, wel yeah... :Smile_hiding:

Reveal hidden contents

1826794194_Exeterstatsdiv.thumb.JPG.e938d29edd335af07d2752dacaf79353.JPG

I had a good game in it with my boss in one game, solo I struggle though, to me ALL Brit cruisers should get smoke, maybe radar too, although that said I can never recall a good game in the Belfast, ever.

• Funny 1

Players
3,223 posts
33 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

The british CA's are starting from T5 with the Hawkings which has heal and hydro and 190mm guns with awfull angles. I got it today and its not fun to play since you need to give almost full broadside to shot all guns.
At T6 you get the normal twin turrets with 203mm which are mounted from the Devonshire to the Albemarle. The velocity is 814m/s on those guns so kind of USN CA level. The Range on those 3 is not great but other as the IJN CA's you get a spotter from what i have seen. Your Cita is kinda big, aka normal for RN Cruisers but you have the heal. The HE Alpha is the same as the IJN CA's have from T6 to 8 (when you take the 203s on the Mogami).
Reloadwise the T6 has 14sec, the Surrey at T7 is at 12.5 and the Albemarle has 13sec but with tripple barrles on each turret. So a little bit better then the IJN reload.
The Drake at T9 gets the 234mm guns which can pen without IFHE 58mm of armour and sits at 18.5sec reload and 15.9km range but has a Spotter. Since you want to take reload mod you can't increase it more, also she gets access to the famous british superheal. 1 Charge without premium, 2 Charges with premium consumable and 3 with SI.
The Goliath has 4x3 234mm guns with a firing rage from 16.8km. The Velocitiy here is 841m/s which is almost the same as Henris 845m/s.
Since their velocity is not the greatest i would not play them as IJN CA's far away a litle bit more closer and if needed they have the ability to push with their torpedoes + heal + relative good armour as a Cruiser.
They are not so maneuverable as the French Cruisers so they are better to hit. I would not say they will be the next top tier HE spammer.
Imo. they are all around pretty normal, balanced and not completly new shiny and fancy with a lot of new Gimmiks, i look forward to get more and try them out.

One to fxp through  then, and that sort of sums up the line to me, i fact like the Light cruisers, most people want the dakka dakka of the Neptune and Minotaur, really this is why people rush up the tech tree's.

[BBMM]
Players
5,802 posts
7,356 battles
5 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I had a good game in it with my boss in one game, solo I struggle though, to me ALL Brit cruisers should get smoke, maybe radar too, although that said I can never recall a good game in the Belfast, ever.

Well... IMO Fiji is stronger than Belfast, actually - and maybe even Leander, too. 

But smoke on Exeter... well... LOL... no man. She'd be able to wreck stuff even in T7. 

Remember this is just a T5. Hev you ever had a T4 MM in Exeter? OMG...!!

• Cool 1

Players
3,223 posts
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

Well... IMO Fiji is stronger than Belfast, actually - and maybe even Leander, too. 

But smoke on Exeter... well... LOL... no man. She'd be able to wreck stuff even in T7. 

Remember this is just a T5. Hev you ever had a T4 MM in Exeter? OMG...!!

No I never seem to get that lucky, apparently in ST she did have smoke so I heard, shame, the Belfast bug bit them, and I agree totally about the Belfast.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,474 battles
1 hour ago, L8viathan said:

It was on the first box. Ship is slow like a turtle, reload is slow, full turn is mediocre even with rudder upgrades, no armor other than the citadel plating. Pros, very low detect range, i think it was 9.3km. Damage output is good when it hits, plus puts good amount of fires. But when you consider the slow reload, dpm is low. It has 8km torps, situational. It can bounce shells from same or lower tier ships when angled, or takes small amount of damage, but when it's in a T9 game, higher tier BBs will just pen anywhere, bow, stern, broad, and citadel from all angles. It has considerably low firing range, 14km something need to check but don't feel like it :} , though it has a spotter plane. I played only five games in it which can't be a measure so far, cuz i need to figure out how to play it properly or better myself too. Would i take this ship over other T7 cruisers to play? Probably yes for some, no for some others.

How is it's AA?

Players
1,432 posts
3 minutes ago, Blixies said:

How is it's AA?

There were no carriers in those five games, hence didn't have the chance the to try its AA. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles

Sounds like my kinda ship.  Sounds like an Exeter.

Low concealment will always have an advantage, it's golden when supporting DD's and ambushing cruisers.  Heavy 203mm you get what you pay for and anything with a good heal is priceless. 

I think i will enjoy them. Thanks mate. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
3 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

It's slow but packs a huge punch, 203 mm at tier 5 is god like.  Think the Sinop at tier 7. 

It's the master of hit and run.  It will surprise all Cruisers, making sure that you always get the first shot off.  That, sometimes, is all you need. 

This, more or less. Use your excellent concealment to line up a nice, close-range AP salvo on some unaware, broadside cruiser, and blast that unhappy sucker to Kingdom Come.

Although it is "hit and hope" rather than "hit and run", since the Exeter isn't really equipped to run anywhere in a hurry. If you fail to land a good first salvo, you may be in for a more drawn-out battle if your target has the wits to angle against you. If they do, then load HE and melt them down while angling yourself and using your heal to outlast them (and maybe play 'God Save the Queen' over the loudspeakers to keep everyone in good cheer).

The Exeter is a lovely ship, and a well balanced premium to boot. She rewards good and careful play, but she won't let you get away with very many mistakes (her heal can get you only so far, especially if you're up against battleships). She may not be to everyone's taste, but I regard her as one of the best premiums to have been introduced these past few years.

• Cool 1

Players
1,432 posts
3 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Sounds like my kinda ship.  Sounds like an Exeter.

Low concealment will always have an advantage, it's golden when supporting DD's and ambushing cruisers.  Heavy 203mm you get what you pay for and anything with a good heal is priceless. 

I think i will enjoy them. Thanks mate. 

The heal is better than normal cruisers but nowhere near Boise, Nuevo De Julio kind of heal.

• Cool 1

Players
1,432 posts

4 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

This, more or less. Use your excellent concealment to line up a nice, close-range AP salvo on some unaware, broadside cruiser, and blast that unhappy sucker to Kingdom Come.

You can get plebbed while doing that. It is a very slow ship, and yes, while you can do 19K AP salvo to an Ibuki in return u can get citadeled by enemy BB from 18km because you don't have enough armor. So, tier 5 logic doesn't exactly work in tier 9 games.

• Cool 1

Players
2,773 posts
17,292 battles

I have the Surrey. Shoots like Buffalo for its tier, and welcomes damage from higher tier BBs like Neptune or Mino.

Surrey has a very small and well protected citadel, the exact opposite of Neptune/Mino ...But you can always get unlucky agasint a BB. I'm sure you'll appreciate the troll nature after 10+ games (or getting frustrated when shooting them in a BB)

• Cool 1

Players
1,432 posts
1 minute ago, creamgravy said:

Surrey has a very small and well protected citadel, the exact opposite of Neptune/Mino ...But you can always get unlucky agasint a BB. I'm sure you'll appreciate the troll nature after 10+ games (or getting frustrated when shooting them in a BB)

It really isn't protected against any T8, T9 BB shells, gets citadeled from every angle.

• Cool 1