You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hanse77SWE

How I play Aigle in Aegis

20 comments in this topic

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,682 battles

Since Aegis is back on I thought I would share how I like to play the T6 premium DD Aigle in said Operation.

I would like to point out that this tactic doesn't suit all DDs and I've had some success working this way in the Perth.

This is a text that I wrote for my clan back in June but with the magic of Google Translate I can share it with you. I'll fix small errors as I find them.

We start with the ship. Aigle is a T6 French premium DD and as I understand it, the T6 standard DD will be just as solid but without smoke. She is fast, has a lot of HP, powerful but slow torpedoes and the guns are very good against cruisers but turns slowly.

Some important figures:

The guns: Five of them, 2,600 on a cit with AP, loads on 4.8, 9% fire without help.

The torpedoes: Reloads at 77s., does 18,400 damage, 57 knots, 8km range.

Smoke: Works 20s., Lasts 81s.

Speed: 36 knots, 37.8 with SM flag. Boost + 20%.

Will be detected at: 6.8 km (full stealth), 3.1 km when shooting in smoke.

Captain: 

shot-20_01.15_19_45.37-0667.thumb.jpg.5657f042c41d732c1982f7f0dba481b9.jpg

Flags: Sierra Mike makes no sense because you will only rush between certain points and then the boost will be good. NF is a must as the smoke barely has time to reload between the "stations" Increased fire chance can help but I am full of economy flags so I ignore it. Ram-flag can be helpful. More on that later.

Map. (Apologies, best I could find.) Red lines = my approximate course. White arrows = Shoots. White "circles" = Smoke.

InkedBriefing-Operation_Aegis_LI.jpg.ea48a11d76ed70410be00c7acc2d3e0c.jpg

First wave: I start by rushing so far so I can put my first torpedo salvo between the islands where the first wave will appear. They may not always be able to be detected before I get into position, but it doesn't matter. The ships usually vary their speed so they are quite difficult to hit. It usually goes well with a blind salvo about where they usually come. Overlapping wide spread works fine. You learn. Not so important. Then I set course for NW to meet the second wave. You can shoot with the guns at the first wave, but it usually does not give much and you would rather not be spotted when the second wave comes.

Second wave: Now you should be with the bow towards NW on a kind of parallel counter-course with the second wave. Here it is great if you can get someone to spot for you. Wait until they are almost down to 7 km away before you "smoke". You can shoot the torpedoes Before that. Since the ships are heading towards you at a fairly high speed, you get more "range" so to speak. Prioritize the battleships with the torpedoes. Now you are in smoke with a collection of T4-6 IJN cruisers at 3-6 km distance with the broad side towards you. AP-time! Just keep in mind that the nearest cruiser may be so close that he sees you in the smoke so focus on him if he gets too close.

BEWARE! They can shoot torpedoes into the smoke. BEWARE!

Here you can be tactical and either sink ships one by one or "grind" them down to low HP so your teammates can kill them easier. Ego or the team. You choose. When the smoke disappears, the torpedoes have recharged and if there is anything left of the second wave you may have to "dance" a bit with them at the end. By now, you should have made just over 100k.

Third wave (Convoy): Here it is time for smoke no. 2. There should be no problem with spotting because your team should be straight south of the enemy and see everything. There are two enemy ships on the west flank of the convoy and these are your targets. It may be that the southern of them has come so far that the island blocks torpedo shots. If so, use the torpedoes on the northern ship. Shoot torpedoes, smoke on! Then it is time for AP in the side at about 6-7 km distance. They can change speed so don't rely too much on the torpedoes. Has even happened that I've sunk them with the guns before the torpedoes have "arrived". If you are unable to sink any of them or only one does not matter much, only they are weakened, your team will take care of them.

Fourth wave (Battleships): Fourth wave is two-part. In the north comes two lone battleships (T4-5) and in NE comes a larger group of ships with a T6 BB as flagship. It is these three that are worth a star. Your targets are the two in the north. Go south of the island as it is drawn on the map, otherwise you will be spotted immediately when you get around the island and have to chase them from behind. Not good. Same as on the second wave. Shoot torpedoes, one set per ship, smoke on, but this time spamming HE. Also, keep in mind that they vary in course and speed some so they are not completely easy torpedo targets.

Here it is very important that you have someone who spots. The idea is to start a fire or two before the torpedoes hit. They go out, and then the flood gets stuck when/if the torpedoes hit. Or, conversely, they fix the flood and then burn well. Both ways work. Just shoot! It is very unusual for the torpedoes to sink them by themselves. If they are not dead when the smoke disappears, you have a choice to make. Either shoot the next torpedo salvo and get out the back of the smoke or run the boost and rush on. (This is where the ram-flag can be good to have.) Can be a bit risky but they/it should be quite so "low" for a single torpedo to do the job. You can get sunk at this stage but it doesn't matter that much, usually this is the last thing you can do. You can rush east and help with the last group, but it is not always necessary.

THE END!

It's not always possible for someone to spot fort you, so be prepared not to see anything when the smoke comes on. It is not wrong to have a friend with you in the voice chat division for coordination.

Some general tips about Aegis:

* Work fast! The trick is to end every wave before the next one comes on. It also has to be fast at the end so that the transport ships do not run straight into the last enemy group. If you lose a transport ship, you have lost a star. Also, you have to get all the tasks done before the transports reach the "exit" Work fast!

* You can't do everything by yourself! As you can see, I almost completely ignore the first wave, help a little with the convoy and do not have much to do with the last large group. I focus on the second group and the two battleships in the north. It's my job! The rest I have to trust that my team will fix.

* If you see someone who seems to play as I have described here, do not hesitate to position yourself to spot. The whole team benefits from it.

The thing is that you actually do the most with the guns. I usually rack up approx. 200-240k damage and then only 1/3 from torpedoes/flood/fire, the rest is pure gun.

Since you have been so good and read so much, I will add a video.

This can be a good "moneymaker" as you can see on these screenshot. these are 4 or 5-star games.

shot-20_01.15_18_49.02-0721.thumb.jpg.6c4b266a4fa53d44a783855766013338.jpgshot-20_01.15_19_29.55-0812.thumb.jpg.6d04e4790344f140b581e33b61120b42.jpgshot-20_01.15_16_04.59-0230.thumb.jpg.d96047c6ba83ced68752a87a8fae2548.jpgshot-19_10.16_17_14.55-0504.thumb.jpg.acd659f65c8a20b0a896676feae6f615.jpg

Any questions?

• Cool 14

Players
922 posts
13,062 battles

Pretty much how I run Leander. And tbh it's a common approach, just needs the right-hand side guys to do their jobs too otherwise it's a four star finish. Last time around, towards the end of the week, nearly everyone was staying on the left side to get those sweet broadsides, so no-one was in a position to go for Fuso.

Another approach is not to bother with the first group and hide between the islands at D5. With torps should be able to sink at least two there, then run to the space at C4, smoke and shoot the two slow-sailing broadside-facing CLs on that side quickly, before running up to catch the first two BBs at spawn.

At least in theory. Any delays have a bad knock-on effect and the timings and positions get messed up.

• Cool 1

Players
9,816 posts
11,519 battles

Bring cruiser.

As much as I like Operations, destroyers, even gun oriented have simply not enough pew pew to kill stuff and not enough hp to not get roadkilled too fast.

• Cool 1

Players
2,808 posts
52 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

Since Aegis is back on I thought I would share how I like to play the T6 premium DD Aigle in said Operation.

I would like to point out that this tactic doesn't suit all DDs and I've had some success working this way in the Perth.

This is a text that I wrote for my clan back in June but with the magic of Google Translate I can share it with you. I'll fix small errors as I find them.

We start with the ship. Aigle is a T6 French premium DD and as I understand it, the T6 standard DD will be just as solid but without smoke. She is fast, has a lot of HP, powerful but slow torpedoes and the guns are very good against cruisers but turns slowly.

Some important figures:

The guns: Five of them, 2,600 on a cit with AP, loads on 4.8, 9% fire without help.

The torpedoes: Reloads at 77s., does 18,400 damage, 57 knots, 8km range.

Smoke: Works 20s., Lasts 81s.

Speed: 36 knots, 37.8 with SM flag. Boost + 20%.

Will be detected at: 6.8 km (full stealth), 3.1 km when shooting in smoke.

Captain: 

shot-20_01.15_19_45.37-0667.thumb.jpg.5657f042c41d732c1982f7f0dba481b9.jpg

Flags: Sierra Mike makes no sense because you will only rush between certain points and then the boost will be good. NF is a must as the smoke barely has time to reload between the "stations" Increased fire chance can help but I am full of economy flags so I ignore it. Ram-flag can be helpful. More on that later.

Map. (Apologies, best I could find.) Red lines = my approximate course. White arrows = Shoots. White "circles" = Smoke.

InkedBriefing-Operation_Aegis_LI.jpg.ea48a11d76ed70410be00c7acc2d3e0c.jpg

First wave: I start by rushing so far so I can put my first torpedo salvo between the islands where the first wave will appear. They may not always be able to be detected before I get into position, but it doesn't matter. The ships usually vary their speed so they are quite difficult to hit. It usually goes well with a blind salvo about where they usually come. Overlapping wide spread works fine. You learn. Not so important. Then I set course for NW to meet the second wave. You can shoot with the guns at the first wave, but it usually does not give much and you would rather not be spotted when the second wave comes.

Second wave: Now you should be with the bow towards NW on a kind of parallel counter-course with the second wave. Here it is great if you can get someone to spot for you. Wait until they are almost down to 7 km away before you "smoke". You can shoot the torpedoes Before that. Since the ships are heading towards you at a fairly high speed, you get more "range" so to speak. Prioritize the battleships with the torpedoes. Now you are in smoke with a collection of T4-6 IJN cruisers at 3-6 km distance with the broad side towards you. AP-time! Just keep in mind that the nearest cruiser may be so close that he sees you in the smoke so focus on him if he gets too close.

BEWARE! They can shoot torpedoes into the smoke. BEWARE!

Here you can be tactical and either sink ships one by one or "grind" them down to low HP so your teammates can kill them easier. Ego or the team. You choose. When the smoke disappears, the torpedoes have recharged and if there is anything left of the second wave you may have to "dance" a bit with them at the end. By now, you should have made just over 100k.

Third wave (Convoy): Here it is time for smoke no. 2. There should be no problem with spotting because your team should be straight south of the enemy and see everything. There are two enemy ships on the west flank of the convoy and these are your targets. It may be that the southern of them has come so far that the island blocks torpedo shots. If so, use the torpedoes on the northern ship. Shoot torpedoes, smoke on! Then it is time for AP in the side at about 6-7 km distance. They can change speed so don't rely too much on the torpedoes. Has even happened that I've sunk them with the guns before the torpedoes have "arrived". If you are unable to sink any of them or only one does not matter much, only they are weakened, your team will take care of them.

Fourth wave (Battleships): Fourth wave is two-part. In the north comes two lone battleships (T4-5) and in NE comes a larger group of ships with a T6 BB as flagship. It is these three that are worth a star. Your targets are the two in the north. Go south of the island as it is drawn on the map, otherwise you will be spotted immediately when you get around the island and have to chase them from behind. Not good. Same as on the second wave. Shoot torpedoes, one set per ship, smoke on, but this time spamming HE. Also, keep in mind that they vary in course and speed some so they are not completely easy torpedo targets.

Here it is very important that you have someone who spots. The idea is to start a fire or two before the torpedoes hit. They go out, and then the flood gets stuck when/if the torpedoes hit. Or, conversely, they fix the flood and then burn well. Both ways work. Just shoot! It is very unusual for the torpedoes to sink them by themselves. If they are not dead when the smoke disappears, you have a choice to make. Either shoot the next torpedo salvo and get out the back of the smoke or run the boost and rush on. (This is where the ram-flag can be good to have.) Can be a bit risky but they/it should be quite so "low" for a single torpedo to do the job. You can get sunk at this stage but it doesn't matter that much, usually this is the last thing you can do. You can rush east and help with the last group, but it is not always necessary.

THE END!

It's not always possible for someone to spot fort you, so be prepared not to see anything when the smoke comes on. It is not wrong to have a friend with you in the voice chat division for coordination.

Some general tips about Aegis:

* Work fast! The trick is to end every wave before the next one comes on. It also has to be fast at the end so that the transport ships do not run straight into the last enemy group. If you lose a transport ship, you have lost a star. Also, you have to get all the tasks done before the transports reach the "exit" Work fast!

* You can't do everything by yourself! As you can see, I almost completely ignore the first wave, help a little with the convoy and do not have much to do with the last large group. I focus on the second group and the two battleships in the north. It's my job! The rest I have to trust that my team will fix.

* If you see someone who seems to play as I have described here, do not hesitate to position yourself to spot. The whole team benefits from it.

The thing is that you actually do the most with the guns. I usually rack up approx. 200-240k damage and then only 1/3 from torpedoes/flood/fire, the rest is pure gun.

Since you have been so good and read so much, I will add a video.

This can be a good "moneymaker" as you can see on these screenshot. these are 4 or 5-star games.

shot-20_01.15_18_49.02-0721.thumb.jpg.6c4b266a4fa53d44a783855766013338.jpgshot-20_01.15_19_29.55-0812.thumb.jpg.6d04e4790344f140b581e33b61120b42.jpgshot-20_01.15_16_04.59-0230.thumb.jpg.d96047c6ba83ced68752a87a8fae2548.jpgshot-19_10.16_17_14.55-0504.thumb.jpg.acd659f65c8a20b0a896676feae6f615.jpg

Any questions?

I play like that all my dds, cruisers

[-TPF-]
Players
3,824 posts
15,716 battles
37 minutes ago, Panocek said:

As much as I like Operations, destroyers, even gun oriented have simply not enough pew pew to kill stuff and not enough hp to not get roadkilled too fast.

Aigle does, as the man says. Guepard is also good, but you have to be careful with your positioning and lack the smoke farming ability of her sister. Smoke is key, really - it's why Leander, Perth and HH do better than many equivalent cruisers. Molotov will murder the first few waves but she doesn't like Fuso as much....

• Cool 2

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles

I just recently started playing operations and since both Narai and Raptor had serious issues with autopilot and many bugs related to that, I find this 'Aegis' to not be affected by it. At least not in a way that would affect the final outcome.

I never played it before so maybe some experienced players might see something I can't.

I'm basically grinding T6 ships and this op comes in perfectly. Playing mostly Izmail and Bayern and have pretty good results with both.

Here's the last one with Izmail where every 6th shot was a citadel.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

P.S. The black screen in the background (instead of a blurred screenshot from the end of the battle) is because I got disconnected in the middle of the battle (Croatian and Montenegrin players feel my pain), otherwise I believe I'd do even better.

[L4GG]
Players
3,036 posts
10,526 battles

There should be a place in the forum named Ops, in there,  sticky topics, one for each Operation, where players  could upload their battles, those videos would function as a rough guide to everyone who wanted/needed .

Is it possible @Crysantos?

And even if a player doesn't need, he can benefits from it.

Case and point.

I always did Aegis in a way, can't complain, did good in them.

But after a similar topic to this one about strategies in Ops, a while ago, I saw a Aegis replay of @nambr9  , which wasn't enough to change the way how I play my cruisers but I adopted his strategy to my BBs and they started to work very well, thanks to him I managed to be in the right time in the right place with my BBs.

@Hanse77SWE nice replay, I hope it stays visible for many people to see it 

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles
On 1/15/2020 at 2:24 PM, Hanse77SWE said:

Since Aegis is back on I thought I would share how I like to play the T6 premium DD Aigle in said Operation. <snip>

Excellent post, sir! :Smile_honoring:

I'm getting the impression quite a few people are following your advice too - I've seen several Aigles doing what you advise and doing rather well out of it.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,824 posts
15,716 battles
4 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I'm getting the impression quite a few people are following your advice too - I've seen several Aigles doing what you advise and doing rather well out of it.

I have also seen people doing it and not doing so well. As Hanse's guide said, it does rely on the rest of the team covering certain parts of the operation,  especially with the last phase and the battleships. If the Baltimore appears, someone has to attract the Fuso's attention, otherwise it will get dragged to the right of the map, behind about five allied ships and completely out of DD range.

Also, one more thing.... if you're playing a CV, take advantage of the fact that none of the convoying ships seem to have any AA. Fill yer boots time.

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles
4 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Also, one more thing.... if you're playing a CV, take advantage of the fact that none of the convoying ships seem to have any AA. Fill yer boots time.

I realised this fairly quickly, with my initial reaction thinking it was either a bug or/and something left over from the reework.

It's a magnificent opportunity for me to practise torp/rocket attacks on easy targets (and, recently, to asses the difference that TA makes on a CV captain), which is always good for someone who is a numpty with CVs...

• Cool 2

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,682 battles
4 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

It's happened alot lately that the CV drops torps on an enemy that someone else already have torps in the water on. Result: Enemy turns and what should have been a dev. strike becomes a 0-damage event. 

So, please CVs, check this before attacking because you might do more harm than help.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles
3 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

So, please CVs, check this before attacking because you might do more harm than help.

This. Target separation is very important; if I'm CVing (because I'm a kinky piece of trash), I always am mindful of the impact my torps will have on a target's heading. The same is true for DDs as well, although you can't do anything about torps from friendly bots of course.

My kung fu is, alas, insufficiently strong for this, but better CV drivers can probably persuade enemies to give broadside to their team - turning this torp reaction behaviour into a positive.

• Cool 1

Players
4,001 posts
18 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

There should be a place in the forum named Ops, in there,  sticky topics, one for each Operation, where players  could upload their battles, those videos would function as a rough guide to everyone who wanted/needed .

Is it possible @Crysantos?

And even if a player doesn't need, he can benefits from it.

Case and point.

I always did Aegis in a way, can't complain, did good in them.

But after a similar topic to this one about strategies in Ops, a while ago, I saw a Aegis replay of @nambr9  , which wasn't enough to change the way how I play my cruisers but I adopted his strategy to my BBs and they started to work very well, thanks to him I managed to be in the right time in the right place with my BBs.

@Hanse77SWE nice replay, I hope it stays visible for many people to see it 

Hey there,

Honored if I helped your play style in any mean, because I cant help myself most of the time. :)

I made public only 1 Aegis vid, yet it is from a very past era (imho a better one than what we currently have...

Is it this one?

Players
342 posts
2,097 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

My kung fu is, alas, insufficiently strong for this, but better CV drivers can probably persuade enemies to give broadside to their team - turning this torp reaction behaviour into a positive.

General rule of thumb is that if you drop close to or on the minimum arming distance the bot will attempt to turn into the torpedoes, unless it believes that slowing down and turning away will cause one of the torps to miss completely (tends to be DD's that do this).

If you drop from further out then the bot will in 90% of cases try to turn away from the approaching torpedoes and angle so that it passes them perpendicular to their path.

Dropping at an angle will result in the bot turning into/away from the attack at an angle  to make the torpedoes pass infront and behind (usually with the bow passing just behind the lead torpedo) before correcting to its original route.

Of course some bots just ignore them or get confused and try to make multiple course corrections to the point that they still get hit.

I had an amazing game the other day where we had an excellent DD player who seemed to be following this guide from his sailing route up the map and coordinated his torpedo strikes with my air attacks to kill of all three battleships at the end in about 2 minutes. I would get them broadside on to him with a torpedo drop, he would hit them with his torps and either kill them outright or leave them so badly damaged I finished them off with another pass.

It was a joy to behold and amazingly good fun.

2 hours ago, Hanse77SWE said:

It's happened alot lately that the CV drops torps on an enemy that someone else already have torps in the water on. Result: Enemy turns and what should have been a dev. strike becomes a 0-damage event. 

Agree, an important part of playing CV in Ops is map awareness and keeping tabs on what allies do as well as knowing when to hold fire to allow allied strikes the best chance of hitting (and then cleaning up afterwards if anything still lives).

Although I will say this goes both ways, it happens a lot lately where I (In my CV) heavily damage a target and upon making the last run to finish it off and releasing torpedoes/bombs the target explodes violently due to some random BB launching a full salvo at the 5% HP ship (when there are plenty of 100% HP ships that could use their loving attention) or the target suddenly swerves (or explodes) due to torpedoes launched from an allied vessel (again, plenty of 100% HP targets to dev. strike here, why waste your torps on the heavily damaged one?)

So, please Surface ships, check where your CV's planes are and what they are attacking before squandering long cool down weapons, you might be better off targeting something else instead if the CV is already attacking it.

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,036 posts
10,526 battles

Well, @nambr9

Operation_Aegis_jpg_d9c149f1aa9146097d6ab4433edccb4f123.png.eac13cbfaebdb2a012db37fc56ce4042.png

The image speaks for itself . (also old as F.)

the thing was,

I never could do what's in red with my underage Bayern (this was when I hated the 21 knots of Bayern and everything else about it).

And the few times I played it I was forced to cut corners to be able to keep up with the team, trailing behind...

What's in red I really can't complain, a lot of citadels, good firing angles, one can be relevant for the entire game while going into positions at the same time.

the green, I discover a few months ago. but only with some cruisers, like Dallas, French Cl's and Nurnberg it's ok, you can citadel cruisers, put the BB on fire and put some pressure on the last bots while undetected and if the team helps, you are golden.

1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

Hey there,

Honored if I helped your play style in any mean, because I cant help myself most of the time. :)

As I was saying I always struggled putting the weight of my BBs on the field, and your video help me a lot with this Op, I adopted your approach with my BBs and I started to do thing after a time.

I went from the bottom to the top a good amount of the times.

Spoiler

bayern.thumb.png.a2c0baf9f70c5ed9a80d32e2c9bc58ef.png

Spoiler

bayern1.thumb.png.bb2cb2bef02c314fdef7c6dc791716fd.png

Spoiler

bayern2.thumb.png.d528a9ad265b2265860023a2e3436937.png

Spoiler

bayern3.1.thumb.png.e4dee8291f0720fa3864304a3a8be6ac.png

1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

I made public only 1 Aegis vid, yet it is from a very past era (imho a better one than what we currently have...

Is it this one?

yeap, was that one, a lot of citadels and going strait up inside the islands.

Do you wanna see?

Just a few days ago with Normandie. There are still differences but I'm getting there.

20200116_223243_PFSB106-Normandie_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

So, thank you

• Cool 2

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
213 posts
7,596 battles
On 1/15/2020 at 8:08 PM, Panocek said:

Bring cruiser.

Yeah aren't they just terrible:

shot-19_12.17_10_38.01-0815.thumb.jpg.b8aa8be3cdcf0d1a76565ebbe9ce32ff.jpg

• Funny 1

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles

Anyone playing it again?

I played it last time (a month ago?) and I was completing it almost every time with 5/5 even with a team of potatoes...

Last night I played ONCE and we got pounded, especially with an insane amount of torpedoes from all cruisers. TBH I've never experienced that many torps in this operation before. Is it just me or they tweaked this operation a bit?

Can someone check/confirm? Tnx.